Andy Freeland
08-14-2010, 03:23 PM
49ers @ Colts

Colts01
08-15-2010, 12:30 AM
game called because Peyton is just too good!:woot:

Jaco
08-15-2010, 01:05 AM
I'm gonna have to do some serious internetting to see the game tomorrow. I'll be shocked to see the Colts win a rare preseason game, but I'm withdrawing from football pretty bad right now, so I think it's a must-see. Interested to see the new OL too.

Colts01
08-15-2010, 01:14 AM
I'm gonna have to do some serious internetting to see the game tomorrow. I'll be shocked to see the Colts win a rare preseason game, but I'm withdrawing from football pretty bad right now, so I think it's a must-see. Interested to see the new OL too.

Ya lord help us if we cant keep peyton upright

msclemons
08-15-2010, 01:37 AM
Patrick Willis is gonna eat Peyton's oreos. bwahahaha!

Colts01
08-15-2010, 01:56 AM
Patrick Willis is gonna eat Peyton's oreos. bwahahaha!

Actually I think Peyton will be wearing the red practice jersey!!!!no touchie mr Manning!!!

msclemons
08-15-2010, 02:10 AM
Wonder if the Colts and Niners will continue the trend of 2nd teamers playing until late 4th quarter? We could see an extended Painter - Carr duel. /cringe

Colts01
08-15-2010, 02:41 AM
Wonder if the Colts and Niners will continue the trend of 2nd teamers playing until late 4th quarter? We could see an extended Painter - Carr duel. /cringe

Lol....main thing is core guys stay healthy for both teams no doubt!

Jaco
08-15-2010, 02:53 PM
Pretty happy with the showing of the 1st teamers. Manning 7/7 on his last drive. Too many open holes across the middle on D in the 1st, but they got a turnover and shut em out. Then Painter comes in, and the Colts go backwards and 3 and out. Shudder. He doesn't appear to have improved much in a year.

Jaco
08-15-2010, 03:15 PM
Manning ends up 8/10 for 91 yards. Powers standing out again on D with a forced fumble and interception in the first quarter. Despite the TD by Addai, the OL is struggling run blocking again. Addai had 5 attempts for 11 yards, but his TD run was 7 yards., meaning the other 4 attempts were 1 yard stops. Brown has negative yardage at the start of the second, and Hart's got 3 rushes for 12 yards (long was 11 yards). We'll see the next couple of weeks, but it's starting to look like the Colts are going to struggle running again this year.

msclemons
08-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Iupati looks like the real deal. A Davis has the strength but needs a lot of work on technique. Rachel, see Davis. Baas filled in very nicely at center. Didn't even notice Joe Staley which is usually a good thing for a left tackle :)

Alex Smith looked ok but he has to make that throw to Vernon. You don't get wide open receivers in the NFL often enough to miss them. The interception was on Walker - Smith hit him right in the hands. The offense as a whole takes a giant step backward when Gore isn't in the game.

Manning and Painter both look like they're in mid-season form already. Poor Painter continues his MVP play... for the other team. He doesn't seem to see the defense at all.

The predicted ascension of Donald Brown to first team status may have been premature - he didn't look great against the 2nd team D when the first team O-Line was still in.

Jaco
08-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Backup O:
Painter's going to end up 8/14 for 53 yards after playing for a quarter. 4 turnovers overall. He's thrown 3 interceptions and has a fumble. After the 1st team defense and offense of the Colts are pulled, the 49ers score 20 straight points in the 2nd quarter. Might see the Colts' 3rd string QB Tom Brandstater. I feel bad for Curtis Painter. Guy had a lot of talent, but I doubt he's ever felt welcome in Indy. He came in last year in an unwinnable situation, and it looks to me as if his confidence is destroyed. Does anybody think Painter enters the season as the backup?

Backup D:
I'm excited about the progress of Fili Moala and Pat Angerer on defense. I have extra hope that Angerer becomes a big part of the D just because he has one of the coolest names in football. David Carr must have felt like he was still playing for Houston for a second. Sack, sack, sack at the end of the half.

KabaModernFan
08-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Two things that really stood out to me in the first half were Anthony Dixon looks like a promising young back for the 49ers, and the Colts should probably be concerned about depth on the offensive line. Will be back to add more after the game is over and I can analyze everything.

Jaco
08-15-2010, 04:25 PM
The guy announcing for NFL Network needs to look at Javarris James' jersey. HE'S NOT DEVIN MOORE!

brauneyz
08-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Not able to watch the game today, but the stats are telling me that Peyton is indeed the MVP of that team. Without him, they got nothing. Has Painter really been picked off thrice?

Jaco
08-15-2010, 04:58 PM
Yep. 4 turnovers by Painter in less than a quarter. The fumble may/may not be his fault. He ran into the fullback on a handoff. The interceptions were awful. One was tipped, but the others were thrown to straight to the defense.

msclemons
08-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Yards per attempt:
Manning 9.1
Painter 3.4
Brandstetter 3.2

Ouch. Then again, Alex Smith was 4.1 so to me Painter looks like a solid QB.

Jaco
08-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Game Notes (Colts Perspective):

Manning looked good. No noticeable difference after offseason neck surgery. He released it too quickly for me to look at the pass protection (which I guess means it's fine), but their run blocking was bad. The run game opened up once Moore and James came in, but that was against the 3rd string D. I'd like to see them against the 1st team D over the next couple of weeks. For the trivia buffs who don't already know, Javarris James is the cousin of all-time Colts leading rusher Edgerrin James, so we're rooting for him to make the team. Painter was awful. Too many turnovers. He never looked comfortable, and it's like he's colorblind out there. His final line was 9/19 for 64 yards, 3 INT, and a lost fumble. Brandstater, despite throwing an INT, looked pretty good, and unless Painter shows some dramatic improvement, I bet he loses his backup job. There was an immediate, noticeable improvement whenever Brandstater came into the game. Might be a waiver steal. His stats - 8/12 for 34 yards, TD, INT. He has the ability to throw the deep ball and stretch the field.

The first string defense held up well, and I'm looking for Jerraud Powers to get some national recognition this year. Other than that, a good showing by a couple of players, including Angerer and Moala. Jerry Hughes is fast! The little bit he played, he was getting back to the QB quickly. No sacks, but a decent showing nonetheless. The DL has had trouble run stopping the last few years, and they gave up 100 yards rushing and a TD to Dixon, so that's something else we'll have to watch for. Finally, the Colts lost S/special teams player Jamie Silva to a knee injury. Looked bad, but hopefully he won't be out long.

Final: Niners 37, Colts 17.

Colts01
08-15-2010, 06:18 PM
Ok heres my two cents...(maybe 3)
Both of the Colts first teams looked pretty good.Got to go to this game and Manning had the 1st team (minus Dallas Clark,Jeff Saturday,Pierre Garcon) running smooth,The 1st team D was flying around and Hurried Smith a few times.(Although Smith missed a wide open V.Davis by throwing behind him...He has to make those throws in the regular season.) And we won the starters part 10-0.
-Concerns of the starters is The O-line.They were getting pushed back on running plays and you see what happens without one peyton manning to counter that with!
-The Running game of corse is a product of the O line but Donald Brown looked slow and more times then not did not even make it to the hole much less break it.

The Backups

There are no words to describe the Awful that is one Curtis Painter. 3 ints against the 49ers 2nd and even 3rd string D says what most Colts fans kinda knew.He just does not read the D or have any presence about him whatsoever.27 points for the 49ers to the colts Zero while Painter plays.Yes I know it doesnt help the Colts 2nd team O-line was also Terrible but Painter does not make reads,Would love for Turk to break down what he's missing in a NFL qb!

THe 49ers backups seemed much more ready for real football.The Rb Dixon ran excellent and with authority.He was the best of the backups by far and should compliment Gore well.David Carr was neither very good or bad.He managed the game.Was more impressed with the 49ers 3rd Qb Nate Davis.Played his college ball here in Indiana and is a big qb who runs well and throws well,also showed some presense of mind in mop up time.

Colts01
08-15-2010, 06:29 PM
For the Colts 3rd qb Tom Brandstater looked worlds ahead of Painter just in his ability to run a play!Pat Angerer the rookie Lb from Iowa played solid if not a little green but looks like a solid backup who can learn to quarterback the D in time.
Overall was very pleased with the colts starters.biggest concern is the O-line and if Peyton gets hurt!..
ANd final thought is what was up with the bad photoshop like uniforms....yuck

IndyColtsFan
08-15-2010, 08:58 PM
ANd final thought is what was up with the bad photoshop like uniforms....yuck

heard that they were like 1955 throwback uniforms

have yet to watch the game but I taped it and will watch/post about it later-

Colts01
08-15-2010, 11:45 PM
Ok been told by friends they were retro unis from the 50's.....