PDA

View Full Version : Active players that will go to the HoF

jaGmen
08-15-2010, 06:13 PM
By this I mean players that if they retired tomorrow would make it. Not guys who have been in the league 5 years and are great. For example, Nick Mangold. Likely the best center in the game, but he hasn't been in the league long enough. We'll have to see how the rest of his career goes. Also players that have retired within the last 3-5 can be included. Question marked players mean they may or may not get in with the numbers they have now.

NE- Randy Moss, Torry Holt, Fred Taylor?, Tom Brady, Rodney Harrison?
NYJ- Jason Taylor, LT
BUF- Brian Moorman
Mia- Zach Thomas
Pit- Hines Ward?
Bal- Ray Lewis, Derrick Mason?, Matt Birk, Ed Reed, Jonathan Ogden
Cin- Terrell Owens
Cle- none
Ind- Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Jeff Saturday?, Edgerrin James?, Adam Vinateri
Jax- Jimmy Smith
Ten- Steve McNair?
Hou- none
Den- Brian Dawkins, Champ Bailey
Oak- Shane Lechler
KC- Willie Roaf, Will Shields, Brian Waters
SD- none
Phi- David Akers?
NYG- Michael Strahan
Dal- Jason Witten?
Wsh- Donovan McNabb?, London Fletcher
Min- Brett Favre
GB- none
Det- none
Chi- Brian Urlacher, Julius Peppers?
TB- Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, Ronde Barber
NO- none
Car- Mushin Muhammed?
Atl- none
SF- none
Sea- Shaun Alexander?, Walter Jones
Stl- Marshall Faulk
Ari- Kurt Warner

These were all I could think of quickly. There are likely some I've left out. Discuss.

Jaco
08-15-2010, 06:31 PM
Colts homer here, but I don't think Wayne gets into the Hall if he retires today. He needs a couple more seasons because he has to compete with Harrison's numbers. There are some who think Harrison won't make it either, but I strongly disagree. Current/recent Colts would be Manning and Harrison. Questionable are: James, Saturday, Freeney, and Wayne. Freeney was left off your list. He's the most feared pass rusher in the league right now, but I don't think his numbers are good enough yet. A couple more years at this level, and they will be.

I think if Vinatieri goes to the HoF it will be as a Patriot. I don't know if there are any other kickers in, which is why I would consider him questionable, but if one were, it would be him.

KabaModernFan
08-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Only glaring omission I could see was Issac Bruce, but I'd have to look at each team closely if I wanted to really find more. I don't think you should be including guys like Lechler or Vinatieri either, it would take a miracle or two for a special teams player to get into the Hall of Fame in this day and age. Most of the voters seem deadset against it just by principle, and that's the only possible reason for Steve Tasker to not be in the Hall yet.

IndyColtsFan
08-15-2010, 07:42 PM
Bryant Young DT from San Francisco?, Darren Sharper, Charles Woodson, Olin Kreutz, Orlando Pace, are a few more with good shots

DaBearsFan
08-15-2010, 07:50 PM
I'd put Kreutz as a maybe for the Bears (He should, but he may be delayed because of the under appreciation of O-Lineman). Pace is a definite, though he should be listed for the Rams because his tenure with the Bears needs to be forgotten.

I would be very surprised if Peppers would be in if he retired today. He needs a few more years in my mind.

Can't think of anyone off the top of my head on the Bears right now, but if I do, I'll add another post.

Bengals1181
08-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Bengals: TO is a near lock, Chad has a great shot if he can put 3-4 more solid years together.

BuckeyeRidley
08-15-2010, 08:39 PM
We all know that Tony Gonzalez will be in the Hall of Fame and Peyton Manning is a shoe-in!!! I think one that is not as obvious is the work from Mike Vrabel; You can argue that he hurts his chances playing in Kansas City but I think that his body of work in New England will make him a Mos Deff. pick to the Hall one day! Not just 'cause he's a Buckeye Guy!!

rxbrown86
08-15-2010, 09:29 PM
I'm a Steelers fan so I'm biased. But there is no doubt in my mind that Troy Polamalu, Ben Roethlisberger, and Hines Ward, get elected to the Hall of Fame.

BuckeyeRidley
08-15-2010, 09:36 PM
I'm a Steelers fan so I'm biased. But there is no doubt in my mind that Troy Polamalu, Ben Roethlisberger, and Hines Ward, get elected to the Hall of Fame.

I Mos Deff agree that Hines Ward goes in; I expect it will take some lobbying and multiple trys for Jerome Bettis; He did it good for the Steel City but there won't be a unified or majority on his Hall Call in the beginning

Bengals1181
08-15-2010, 09:38 PM

as much as it pains me to say, you're probably right on Ward.

The other two, are far from even being considered yet at this point in their careers.

SEABAGS
08-15-2010, 09:52 PM
i think list could be cut in half. Forgetting the numbers, years played, window of greatness & ridiculous media coverage (which tends to make greatness out of the average), just ask yourself out loud "is _______ a Hall of Famer" ?

Easy No's..................imho
jimmy smith.....no
fred taylor........no
akers...............no
muhammed......no
shaun alexander.....no
mason............no
witten............no

darvon
08-15-2010, 09:54 PM
It is notable that there is NOT a current RB on that list.

jaGmen
08-15-2010, 09:59 PM
I was trying to come up with one for every team. (I know I didn't succeed) Jimmy Smith is 7th all time in receptions, so he should. Taylor is in limbo, the next 4 I will admit likely no, and Witten needs more time.

darvon, LT is playing now

I did forget about Pace, Sharper has decent chance.

jaGmen
08-15-2010, 10:04 PM
I also forgot about Tony G and Bruce. Kruetz is good, he just was never the best- he could go either way. Young was good. Again, I thought of this list very quickly and acknowledge I left some off

KabaModernFan
08-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Lorenzo Neal and Tony Richardson should both get in as well, but probably won't because of their position.

Pattrick
08-15-2010, 11:08 PM
Wow. Reading this list, it's quite obvious that what I consider a HOF'er and what everyone else considers a hall of famer to be is miles apart. A lot of people on the original list are "no"s.
Brian Moorman, are you serious?
Derek Mason, Matt Birk?

I think that quote "It's the hall of fame, not the hall of very good." applies here.

GoBigOrGoHome
08-15-2010, 11:25 PM
It is notable that there is NOT a current RB on that list.

Unless they start inducting 'duos' or 'platoons' the days of the HOF RB may be gone for good. The Shana-Rat figured this out over a decade ago. It has just taken the league awhile to catch up.

GoBigOrGoHome
08-15-2010, 11:32 PM
By this I mean players that if they retired tomorrow would make it. Not guys who have been in the league 5 years and are great. For example, Nick Mangold. Likely the best center in the game, but he hasn't been in the league long enough. We'll have to see how the rest of his career goes. Also players that have retired within the last 3-5 can be included. Question marked players mean they may or may not get in with the numbers they have now.

NE- Randy Moss, Torry Holt, Fred Taylor?, Tom Brady, Rodney Harrison?
NYJ- Jason Taylor, LT
BUF- Brian Moorman
Mia- Zach Thomas
Pit- Hines Ward?
Bal- Ray Lewis, Derrick Mason?, Matt Birk, Ed Reed, Jonathan Ogden
Cin- Terrell Owens
Cle- none
Ind- Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Jeff Saturday?, Edgerrin James?, Adam Vinateri
Jax- Jimmy Smith
Ten- Steve McNair?
Hou- none
Den- Brian Dawkins, Champ Bailey
Oak- Shane Lechler
KC- Willie Roaf, Will Shields, Brian Waters
SD- none
Phi- David Akers?
NYG- Michael Strahan
Dal- Jason Witten?
Wsh- Donovan McNabb?, London Fletcher
Min- Brett Favre
GB- none
Det- none
Chi- Brian Urlacher, Julius Peppers?
TB- Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, Ronde Barber
NO- none
Car- Mushin Muhammed?
Atl- none
SF- none
Sea- Shaun Alexander?, Walter Jones
Stl- Marshall Faulk
Ari- Kurt Warner

These were all I could think of quickly. There are likely some I've left out. Discuss.

Charles Woodson. Drew Brees. Take the '?' off Rodney Harrison.

giantsfan97
08-16-2010, 10:10 AM
Wow. Reading this list, it's quite obvious that what I consider a HOF'er and what everyone else considers a hall of famer to be is miles apart. A lot of people on the original list are "no"s.
Brian Moorman, are you serious?
Derek Mason, Matt Birk?

I think that quote "It's the hall of fame, not the hall of very good." applies here.

I'm with Pattrick on this one. The list here is way too long for the HoF.

jaGmen
08-16-2010, 10:49 PM
I will say this too. I put a lot of borderline players here as well so they could be discussed.

Moorman has been a great punter for many years in one of the hardest places to kick. Although he is in all likelihood out. Same for Mason- although he has been productive for many years.

Birk though has been among the elite centers for the last decade and truly one of the best ever.

Alexander, Muhammed, Akers, Peppers, Saturday, James, and maybe McNair probably didn't need to be there, they just popped into my head as people who had potential.

Agreed on Richardson and Neal

GoBigOrGoHome
08-16-2010, 11:05 PM
Moorman has been a great punter for many years in one of the hardest places to kick. Although he is in all likelihood out. Same for Mason- although he has been productive for many years.

Really? Ray Guy will be the first punter in the HOF. He's been waiting a loooooooong time.

Ragar
08-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Take the '?' off Rodney Harrison.

Not going to get in as he tested positive for PED's. The majority of WR's will not get in as the numbers will go against them over hte next 5- 10 years.

jaGmen
08-18-2010, 03:15 PM
Hmm. He should be the first in. This should be the best at every position not just all the good ones at some

Dave Lapham
08-18-2010, 06:31 PM
Players today enjoy so much more exposure of their talents. It is not "urban legend" when people talk about how great a game or career a player enjoyed. It will start to become difficult to limit Hall of Fame classes to no more than 7 inductees per year. That will be too bad. I am a fan of the Hall of Fame being .1 of 1% of all players to ever play. The game is so different today. Passing games are so much more wide open and utilized. Like in any sport, how do you cross over eras of performance? The number of players that have been talked about as HOF candidates is both legitimate yet staggering. It seems like the best of the best is a much bigger # than it used to be.

Ragar
08-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Players today enjoy so much more exposure of their talents. It is not "urban legend" when people talk about how great a game or career a player enjoyed. It will start to become difficult to limit Hall of Fame classes to no more than 7 inductees per year. That will be too bad. I am a fan of the Hall of Fame being .1 of 1% of all players to ever play. The game is so different today. Passing games are so much more wide open and utilized. Like in any sport, how do you cross over eras of performance? The number of players that have been talked about as HOF candidates is both legitimate yet staggering. It seems like the best of the best is a much bigger # than it used to be.

I've always felt the voting process is partially at fault for this issue. I feel one of the ways to fixit is for the following to happen for eligible players.
1) The standard 5-year waiting period remains as is.
2) If the player does not get into the final 15, he is barred from consideration for 1 year (if he can't crack the final 15, is he really Hall of Fame worthy?)
3) If a player does not reach the final 25, he is barred from consideration for 5 years. (if he can't get into the current crop, his candicy need to be examined further down the line with better historical context)
4) Veteran canidcay remains the same.
5) Any player who made an All-Decade team, All-50-yr, 75-yr, tema etc. is exempt from the barring. (If they were considered the best of their position for a decade, their name shoudl be considered every year)
This will also help prevent the "creeper canidates" who continual gain traction as their name is on the list for years and they get their "cult following".
The Hall of Fame is for the best of the best, not for the very good.

FLPackerFan
08-18-2010, 09:53 PM
Here is my two cents. I made comments and additions to the original list on this thread. One thing to remembers is that wide recievers despite the numbers take a long time to get in. Look how long it took Art Monk and James Lofton. Also there are not too many tight ends in the HOF either. I also think the teams the players played on make a difference also. Not winning a championship can hurt some players too. There are also some writers that will not vote for a specific player because he holds a grudge against them because of how they were with the media. That happens in baseball a lot and sometimes in football and it is bull spit!

NE- Randy Moss, Torry Holt, Fred Taylor?, Tom Brady, Rodney Harrison? Moss, Brady, and Harrison I think will go in. - Taylor may not, OJ anderson is not in yet. Holt, maybe not, Andre reed is not in yet.
NYJ- Jason Taylor, LT - He may or may not get in. His teams were never dominant and never played in a title game. John Randle got in, there is hope for Taylor. Randle was scary!
BUF- Brian Moorman - Bruce Smith and Andre reed should go in. I don't see any current players on the Bills that may become HOF caliber.
Mia- Zach Thomas - Great player, but like Taylor, not great teams. I compare thomas to Chris Spielman. They were great players.
Pit- Hines Ward? - I say yes, but remember the wide receiver issues, two Super Bowls should help. Has better numbers than Lynn Swann and is tougher. Rothlisberger, still early even with two Super Bowls. Remember Jim Plunkett has won two Super Bowls and Ken Stabler won one and an MVP and they are not in.
Bal- Ray Lewis, Derrick Mason?, Matt Birk, Ed Reed, Jonathan Ogden - Lewis, Reed, and Ogden will make it. Birk maybe. Mason, I don't think so. Wide receivers and numbers.
Cin- Terrell Owens - To me no way, great numbers but HOF have great numbers and help teams get better, not destroy them. Does not even deserve free tickets to the HOF.
Cle- none - Noboby currently
Ind- Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Jeff Saturday?, Edgerrin James?, Adam Vinateri - Manning, Harrison yes, Saturday, maybe, Wayne, maybe, needs more years and numbers. James won't get in, Vinatari won't get in, only one kicker in and others are ahead of him career wise, Morton Anderson, Gary Anderson first.
Jax- Jimmy Smith - Won't get in, as I said, career numbers don't really help all receivers.
Ten- Steve McNair? - No, not enough career numbers. great players.
Hou- none - I would say Andre johnson has potential, needs more years and numbers and even maybe a title, he is a receiver.
Den- Brian Dawkins, Champ Bailey - Dawkins I think has a chance, and so does Bailey. Dawkins has a better chance as he played for more winning teams.
Oak- Shane Lechler - Too early to tell. next raider in should be Stabler, Plunkett, or Tim Brown.
KC- Willie Roaf, Will Shields, Brian Waters - Roaf and Shields I think can make it in. Roaf as a Saint though. Waters, I don't think so.
SD- none - Phillip Rivers is off to a great start. He has the potential, time will tell. Of course L Tomlinson will make it in. Gates off to great start, few more years could get him in.
Phi- David Akers? - Won't get in, only one kicker is in. McNabb has career numbers that could get him in.
NYG- Michael Strahan - Yes, he will be a first ballot HOF, Maybe Jumbo Elliott also. Great lineman great career.
Dal- Jason Witten? - Of to a good start, I don't think so. other tight ends before him like Sharp first.
Wsh- Donovan McNabb?, London Fletcher - McNabb as an Eagle. Fletcher, maybe, not enough Pro Bowls. Made his first last year, should have more.
Min- Brett Favre - Favre yes, as a Packers. Jim Marshall should be in. Rest of team will make Hall of Shame.
GB- none - Favre, Rodgers is off to a great start. Needs to keep it up and win a title. LeRoy Butler I think should be a HOFer one day and Jerry Kramer should be in now.
Det- none - None right now, but a lot of good young talanet that could turn things around there.
Chi- Brian Urlacher, Julius Peppers? Urlacher now, gets hurt too much. Peppers, no. Best days are past. Got paid, will be next Haynesworth. Known to shut it down in Carolina.
TB- Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, Ronde Barber - Sapp, Brooks, Barber will get in. Lynch will also go in. I think Mike Alstott should go in, maybe not now thanks to Gruden not playing him.
NO- none - Drew brees is on the right path. He wins again this year and put up more numbers he will go in.
Car- Mushin Muhammed? Won't get in. Was never a number one reciever, and not enought numbers. great player.
Atl- none - Tony Gonzalez will go in. Matt Ryan is off to a good start, long way to go though.
SF- none - Patrick Willis has potential and is off to a great start. Time will tell.
Sea- Shaun Alexander?, Walter Jones - Alexander won't get in. Walter Jones i think will get in.
Stl- Marshall Faulk - Faulk will get in and orlando Pace is a possibility as well as Isaac Bruce. Then their is the receiver question.
Ari- Kurt Warner = Warner will go in. Larry Fitzgerald is off to a great start. Long way to go.

You forgot the Cincinnati Bengals. Of course Cris Collinsworth and Turk Shonert belong in the HOF with their coach Sam Wyche!

Bennett
08-19-2010, 02:36 PM
I'm really surprised that people think Hines Ward (others as well but he jumped out to me) is a Hall of Famer. I agree that he is a very good player and has played on some very good teams, but HOF I don't think so. Especially when you have guys like Cris Carter, Andre Reed, Tim Brown still not in. While I know he played in a less pass-happy offense then these guys, never did I think Hines was one of the top 5 receivers in the game when he played. What he has going for him though is 2 rings and being a Steeler helps with voters. I think he should definitely be inducted into the team HOF, but does anyone really think he's up there with a Rice or Irvin?

ScottDCP
08-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Really? Ray Guy will be the first punter in the HOF. He's been waiting a loooooooong time.

What's his touchback to/inside the twenty ratio?

Bunghole
08-19-2010, 05:49 PM
I agree about Ward. WR's don't get into the HOF for being known more for borderline decleating of opposing players than raw statistical data.

And I disagree about TO not getting in. If you care to, look up his numbers. They are the best numbers of ANY currently playing WR career-wise.

FLPackerFan
08-19-2010, 06:01 PM
I will not dispute TO's numbers. However Tim Brown, Andre reed, and Cris Carter are not in yet and they were good teammates. TO has destroyed all the teams he has played for. He does not make a team a champion, but rather a "should have been". In my opinion he is not a hall of famer. Hines ward in borderline As I said before there are guys with better numbers that are not in yet that belong in the HOF.

Chompurself
08-19-2010, 06:27 PM
Yes Shaun Alexander was good for a few years but didnt hav the longevity it will take to get into the HOF, he is one of those what if???guys

BubbaLove
08-19-2010, 08:17 PM
I'm really surprised that people think Hines Ward (others as well but he jumped out to me) is a Hall of Famer. I agree that he is a very good player and has played on some very good teams, but HOF I don't think so. Especially when you have guys like Cris Carter, Andre Reed, Tim Brown still not in. While I know he played in a less pass-happy offense then these guys, never did I think Hines was one of the top 5 receivers in the game when he played. What he has going for him though is 2 rings and being a Steeler helps with voters. I think he should definitely be inducted into the team HOF, but does anyone really think he's up there with a Rice or Irvin?

When it comes to Hines Ward all you really have to do is go to NFL.com and look at his numbers. They certainly don't wow you. They're good numbers, but not HOF numbers.

http://www.nfl.com/players/hinesward/profile?id=WAR179227

Bengals1181
08-19-2010, 10:34 PM
I will not dispute TO's numbers. However Tim Brown, Andre reed, and Cris Carter are not in yet and they were good teammates. TO has destroyed all the teams he has played for. He does not make a team a champion, but rather a "should have been". In my opinion he is not a hall of famer. Hines ward in borderline As I said before there are guys with better numbers that are not in yet that belong in the HOF.

He didn't destroy Buffalo, and I think his stint with the eagles needs re-visiting. Now that the locker room basically ran McNabb out of town, can you honestly say you know that whole thing was TO's fault?

Not to mention, TO's numbers are better than all three of the guys you mentioned.

damgenius
08-19-2010, 10:37 PM
Did anyone mention Asante Samuel?

FLPackerFan
08-19-2010, 11:53 PM
He didn't destroy Buffalo, and I think his stint with the eagles needs re-visiting. Now that the locker room basically ran McNabb out of town, can you honestly say you know that whole thing was TO's fault?

Not to mention, TO's numbers are better than all three of the guys you mentioned.

TO only spent one season in Buffalo. It is usually year two that he acts like an ass. I really don't think TO cares about winning a title. it is more about him. The great one don't put an cry when they don't get the ball. They care about winning. if they do pout, and cry, they don't make it public. I am sure Jerry Rice always wanted the ball. However Rice is a true pro and would keep it in house. Not complaining and doing sit ups in his driveway for the media.

Bengals1181
08-20-2010, 10:14 AM
TO only spent one season in Buffalo. It is usually year two that he acts like an ass. I really don't think TO cares about winning a title. it is more about him. The great one don't put an cry when they don't get the ball. They care about winning. if they do pout, and cry, they don't make it public. I am sure Jerry Rice always wanted the ball. However Rice is a true pro and would keep it in house. Not complaining and doing sit ups in his driveway for the media.

I'm just trying to figure out when character became a huge part of the hall, and TO's character isn't that bad.

Is this not the same Hall that includes Jim Brown (a wife beater), OJ (murderer), and Michael Irvin (drug addict)?

TheLinc
08-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Did anyone mention Asante Samuel?

Not sure why anyone would....

Good list, though I think you took a very liberal interpretation of what you meant by 'active' player ;)

Bunghole
08-20-2010, 05:08 PM

At some point Carter and Tim Brown will get in. Reed may also. TO is a lock. Maybe not a first ballot, but an utter lock. Yeah, he created some dissention with the niners, eagles and cowboys, but he's been a winner on every team he's been on too. He has certainly made teams better on the field that he has played for...which is what really matters. No history of drug abuse or alcoholism, no criminal rap sheet...the guy is definitely getting in.

Bengals1181
08-20-2010, 07:54 PM
At some point Carter and Tim Brown will get in. Reed may also. TO is a lock. Maybe not a first ballot, but an utter lock. Yeah, he created some dissention with the niners, eagles and cowboys, but he's been a winner on every team he's been on too. He has certainly made teams better on the field that he has played for...which is what really matters. No history of drug abuse or alcoholism, no criminal rap sheet...the guy is definitely getting in.

good point on the teams.

In TO's 14 years, his team has only had a losing record 5 times. In 3 of those years, the starting quarterback was injured early in the season for the year.

6 times his team has won 12 or more games.

Love him or hate him, his teams win.