PDA

View Full Version : Bengals v Broncos

Bengals1181
08-16-2010, 12:23 AM
Great job on the radio broadcast tonight Lap!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the game, and specific players.

First team offense looked a lot crisper and I thought Jordan Palmer had a MUCH better game.

Colts01
08-16-2010, 03:09 PM
Dave,would love to get your thoughts on Quinn/Tebow.Great broadcast by the way

msclemons
08-17-2010, 01:53 AM
I've gotta agree with Bengals1181 - Dave Lapham was great on the radio broadcast. Was my first time hearing Dave on the radio and I really enjoyed it. Made the 4th quarter of a preseason game interesting - can't do much better than that!

Dave Lapham
08-19-2010, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys. Gresham and Shipley showed they will be weapons in the middle of the field vs. the Broncos. That was the biggest need in the passing game. If you can't control the field between the hashmarks, it makes it so much tougher on the perimeter players because coverage can be rolled there. Geno Atkins has also shown that he will help them as an interior pass rusher. He showed himself as a natural rusher in 1-1s in training camp, but sometimes it doesn't translate to games. Need to play him vs. some frontline guys, not just players who may be on the streets after final cuts. 2.5 sacks in 2 games is impressive for a DT though. His Dad played 10 years at safety for the Saints, Gene Atkins, so he grew up around the game and it is not to big for him. I think Jordan Palmer has some upside. JT O'sullivan has played for a decade, so you know what you are going to get. Jordan is taller in the pocket, and more athletic, can extend and create plays with his feet. In my mind Tebow passed Quinn. He can create more opportunities with his rare athletic abilities. He was much more accurate throwing it as well. If he is to be used in special packages, he has to be #2, because the #3 QB has to finish the game if he enters it. Unless he takes a roster spot that is not QB, but that would hurt depth, special teams etc. The shot he put on Kyries Hebert, who prides himself on being a big hitter at safety and on special teams showed me a lot. He lowered his shoulder and blasted him with all 6'3" 245#. He is a stud. But he has to be smart about exposing himself to injury like that. This is not the SEC. You won't be running over LBers and DL like you did at Florida. It will be openup anew can of QBs.

Bengals1181
08-20-2010, 10:48 AM
Who do you think wins the last WR spot in Cincy? Any chance they keep 7?

Wordsworth
08-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Is Geno Atkins that young kid they were talking about during the HOF game that they like so much for his speed at DT? I remember a youn DT for the Bengals getting after McGee mid-game during the Cowboys and really causing some havoc in the middle.

Dave do you feel that Shipley will evolve into a Wes Welker type of player in the NFL if given the chance? His combine numbers were underwhelming and we saw that echoed in his draft position, but I was fortunate to see nearly his entire college career at UT and have always felt he has the tools to be an excellent possession receiver and kick returner in the pros. Some folks forget that Welker was an excellent return man before he carved out an every-down role with the Patriots back in 2007. I see Shipley as nearly the same kind of player. He is very quick in and out of his breaks and has surprising speed, not to mention excellent hands and a nose for finding open space underneath. I was curious what you thought of him specifically. Thanks ahead of time, loved hearing your broadcast for the first time!

StarvinMarvin
08-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Is Geno Atkins that young kid they were talking about during the HOF game that they like so much for his speed at DT? I remember a youn DT for the Bengals getting after McGee mid-game during the Cowboys and really causing some havoc in the middle.

Same guy. He's getting a lot of buzz locally, to the point of being in the mix in the starting rotation the team implements.