PDA

View Full Version : Curtis Painter,what are we missing?

Colts01
08-16-2010, 01:46 AM
Turk, not sure if you have had a chance to watch him at all but what are the coaches seeing for the colts that we as fans are not?I honestly dont think he knows how to read a D at all.Any insight would be great.
Signed
Very nervous Colts fans!

InNOutBurgler
08-16-2010, 01:58 AM
9/16 with 3 picks isn't doing it for you? lol...I don't know man, dude was good in college, maybe he just had a bad game...but those numbers are pretty rough. Even money they are on the phone with SOMEBODY tomorrow morning trying to bring someone else in

Colts01
08-16-2010, 02:10 AM
Its more from last year as well,he looks lost and robotic out there,,and we got that from 40 rows up!

Jaco
08-16-2010, 02:39 AM
Some stats I threw up on another Painter thread: His career passer rating is a 9.8. I'm also not sure the Colts offense, while led by Painter, has scored a point. I know he doesn't have a touchdown pass. Regardless, I'm confident in saying he has scored more points for the other team than he has for the Colts. His career line is 8/28 for 83 yards, 2 INT, 2 fumbles (both lost). This is a very small sample (only consists of his two regular season games last year), but in both the regular season and preseason, I've never seen him look comfortable. He was outplayed by the 3rd string QB today.

InNOutBurgler
08-16-2010, 09:14 AM
It may be an unfortunate consequence of paying to have a good team...less depth at the QB position.

FessJL0861
08-16-2010, 12:17 PM
With a 9.8 QB rating, they could bring me in to be a "game manager", "ball control" QB. Now in all reality my stat line would be 1/4 7yds. 0INT. The key being 0 ints. That one pass would have been a ball that clanged off a linemans helmet, and Dallas Clark came down with it.

Turk Schonert
08-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Only saw him play in that last game vs Buffalo. Snow and cold didn't do him any favors but he did look like a lost rookie. HC/DC Perry Fewell threw a lot at him and he didn't pass the test. I've talked to QB coach Frank Reich (Colts) about him, he was very high on Painter and thought that he has a bright future in the league. Sounds like he still looks like a lost rookie by the way you are describing his play. Colts season is completely in the hands of Manning's health.

Jaco
08-16-2010, 05:41 PM
Honestly, we like to freak out about the backup QB situation, but the Colts' season has hinged on Manning being healthy at least since 2000. If Jim Sorgi had been asked to come in, I doubt they'd have been a playoff team. I wouldn't trust most starters to come in and try to run the Colts' O. Hopefully, we're all freaking over nothing. I have two main reasons I'm especially concerned this year:

1. The O Line Has Been Destroyed By Injury - It's already been well documented on other threads, but with the starting LT, C, and LG, and the backup LG/LT and backup C/G all struggling with injuries, the Colts will have to make do with 2nd and 3rd stringers for awhile. This means the pass rush should be especially fierce. If Peyton were to get injured from a hit (say from his blind side), this would be the year it would happen.

2. If The Starter Gets Injured, Teams Usually Rely On the Run Game - The Colts have no run game. They've been a terrible run blocking team the last few years, and with the O Line problems, we shouldn't expect a turnaround. Usually, teams will focus on the run more when they have a backup in the game to remove some pressure from the backup. The Colts can't do that, so we would be relying on a Painter passing game about 90% of the time.

Maybe it's just preseason jitters, but it seems like the odds toward injury are greater this year than others, and there's no plan in place should Manning even have to miss a few games. To ease some of your fears, though, I want to remind you of something that Peyton gets little credit for: he's a tough SOB.

Manning suffered a hairline fracture of his jaw in the fourth quarter of a 27-24 loss to Miami when defensive end Lorenzo Bromell hit him underneath the chin strap after a pass. Bromell was penalized. Manning left the game for one play, replaced by Mark Rypien, then returned despite his bloodied and swollen jaw. "I saw Mark come out on the field and I really wasn't going to come out," Manning said. "I've never really ever had to come out for a play before, but sometimes when you're dazed, that's when you make a mistake."

Jaco
08-16-2010, 05:54 PM
I'm gonna repost this for its humor value too. Citation at the bottom:

5 Possible Reasons Why Curtis Painter is on the Team

1. Curtis Painter is actually a football savant and fans simply do not know it. Although he lacks the physical abilities, his mind is lightyears ahead of everyone else's. As Stephen Hawkings is to physics, Curtis Painter is to football. He is Sid Gilman, Bill Walsh, and Vince Lombardi all rolled into one. He adds so much to Peyton Manning's game preparation that it forced Polian's hand into cutting Jim Sorgi. One day Painter's brilliance will manifest itself fully and he will become the greatest NFL head coach of all time.

2. Curtis Painter has compromising pictures of someone. HEY...I'm not sayin'. I'm just sayin'.

3. Curtis Painter won a secret contest where an average fan like us gets to wear an official Colts uniform and pretend to be an NFL QB for a couple of seasons. Curtis is actually being followed by a camera crew for a reality show that will be on par with Jersey Shore.

4. Curtis Painter is actually Peyton Manning's little cousin on his mom's side and a key member of PM's entourage. Now that I think about it, they do kind of look alike...

5. Either Jim Irsay or Bill Polian lost a bet and this is the payoff.

(http://www.stampedeblue.com/2010/8/16/1625439/5-possible-reasons-why-curtis)