PDA

View Full Version : Good Cop, Bad Cop ?

Turk Schonert
08-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Albert Haynesworth has recently said that he really likes the Redskins 34 defense. How things have changed. Haynesworth's reluctance to participate in off season workouts was primarily due to his dislike for his new position in the 34. What changed his mind ? Jim Haslett has changed his mind. Haslett has sat down with Albert and explained to him how he will be used, and how he can benefit from the 34. With Shanahan being the bad guy enforcing conditioning tests, somebody needed to get to Haynesworth in a positive way. Shanahan doesn't care if Haynesworth likes him or not, but he does realize what a motivated Albert Haynesworth can mean to his defense. The good cop, bad cop routine is working so far, can it last throughout the season ? Are the Redskins playing with dynamite if the season hits a turbulent stretch ? Does it matter if a player doesn't trust his head coach as long as he trusts his coordinator and the system ? Will Albert Haynesworth make the Pro Bowl ?

Docta
08-16-2010, 09:35 PM
I think Shanahan's going to have no problem benching Haynesworth during the season if he gives him a lot of attitude. Haslett made him understand the 34, but he's not a counselor.

msclemons
08-16-2010, 11:55 PM
Someone needed to sit Haynesworth down and explain that playing in the NFL is a privilege. It is not a privilege to the NFL that Albert shows up.

Shanahan made that real clear. But you're right Turk, someone also had to point out the positives to get him motivated. Do you think Mike and Jim planned it this way or was it just a natural action of their coaching styles?

Turk Schonert
08-17-2010, 11:53 AM
Someone needed to sit Haynesworth down and explain that playing in the NFL is a privilege. It is not a privilege to the NFL that Albert shows up.

Shanahan made that real clear. But you're right Turk, someone also had to point out the positives to get him motivated. Do you think Mike and Jim planned it this way or was it just a natural action of their coaching styles?

I think that they corroborated with each other. Both coaches know the impact that Haynesworth can have on this defense, and both coaches have dealt with disgruntled players throughout their head coaching years.

Wordsworth
08-17-2010, 08:23 PM
Shanny loves playing bad cop. Always has.

Turk Schonert
08-17-2010, 10:22 PM
Shanny loves playing bad cop. Always has.

He's pretty good at it !!

Wordsworth
08-18-2010, 09:02 PM
He's pretty good at it !!

You said it, Turk. I bet Christmas at the Shanahan house is brutal.

Turk Schonert
08-18-2010, 10:25 PM
You said it, Turk. I bet Christmas at the Shanahan house is brutal.

Depends on whether you've been naughty or nice.

Wordsworth
08-18-2010, 10:32 PM
Depends on whether you've been naughty or nice.

He probably makes the bad kids run gassers before he gives them a stocking with an actual lump of coal.

Turk Schonert
08-18-2010, 10:34 PM
He probably makes the bad kids run gassers before he gives them a stocking with an actual lump of coal.

I've heard that if they run it in the allotted time they do get a real gift.

Wordsworth
08-18-2010, 10:37 PM
Actual price may vary. If he sees even hint of a lack of gratitude he burns the gift in the lawn while the kid watches and cries.

Turk Schonert
08-18-2010, 10:48 PM
Actual price may vary. If he sees even hint of a lack of gratitude he burns the gift in the lawn while the kid watches and cries.

Tough Love !