PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Rodgers - Top 5 QB

hscorpio05
07-02-2010, 03:37 PM
I'm sure there are some strong opinions on this one. I'm a big Packer fan and like what A-Rod does. Is he a top-5 QB? Top-10 at the least?

For my money I would take for THIS year Peyton and Brees ahead of him. Possibly Brady. Anybody else is pretty much on par or worse than A-Rod.

What say you all?

Chilly
07-02-2010, 03:45 PM
I'm not a Packer fan, but you have to respect A-Rod in both performance and demeanor. Exactly what you want in an NFL QB--good arm, cool and collected attitude, and a resolve to work hard and improve each season. Though he still resides in the departing shadows of He-Who-Does-Not-Deserve-To-Be-Named, he is currently ascending the ranks of NFL QB's. Depending on which Brady we get next year [something-to-prove version or I'm-married-to-Giselle version], I agree with you. He is right up there with Rivers.

Andy Freeland
07-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Top 5? Probably. Top 7? Absolutely. I would take Peyton, Brees, Brady and Rivers before Rodgers, but no one else is definitively better. I would put him at or near the top of that 2nd tier group.

And considering his age, he should continue to improve over the next couple of years.

Turk Schonert
07-02-2010, 04:08 PM
You're right on target with Aaron Rodgers being one of the top QB's in the league. I liked him a lot better then Alex Smith coming out of college and he's shown to be the best QB from that draft. Although he probably didn't realize it, he benefited greatly from sitting and watching the old man. He also benefits from being in a good system with a head coach that has an aggressive style with play calling and throwing the ball. I agree that he is right there with Rivers.

jeffwaytowich
07-02-2010, 04:21 PM
This guy has all the tools and numbers, but doesn't he need to win some playoff games before we anoint him?

I'd feel a lot better about him as a Top 5 guy if he found a way to win that Cards game last year...

hscorpio05
07-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the responses. I think as a Packer fan I did realize one thing that we took for granted when Brett was running the show - ability to sense and avoid the sack. Yes, this led to INTs, but I feel like Brett had a 6th sense as to where pressure was coming from so he could get the ball away. If A-Rod could master that "skill", he'd be Manning-esque (as referenced in Cris' earlier article on Manning as MVP).

And I also realize that the O-line was a big factor in the number of sacks taken, but as a fan I think you get that sub-conscious feeling of when a QB is holding on to it for too long (Brooks Bollinger, Badgers fans?), and I think that's A-Rod's biggest fault.

Don't take this as me nit picking - rather, being really excited that all the other tools are in place and that Ted Thompson hit a homerun in deciding to draft him in the 1st round 5 years ago despite having a living legend still playing pretty well.

hscorpio05
07-02-2010, 04:31 PM
@jeffwaytowhich

I can see the point about the playoff win issue, but didn't he play pretty lights out that entire game? I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I think he threw for 400+ yards and 4 TDs. As to the last fumble - how many QBs hold onto the ball in that situation, let alone when his facemask is getting yanked down? I'd see your point if he put up big regular season numbers and absolutely choked in the playoff game, but that wasn't the case.

jeffwaytowich
07-02-2010, 04:44 PM
@hscorpio05

I'm an A-Rod fan all the way, trust me. I thought he played lights out in that game, and you can't pin that on him (given that the "fumble" came on an illegal facemask). But if he found a way to win that game... doesn't that go a long ways to elevating his status as an elite QB?

While it's not always fair, Ws and Ls is how these guys are judged. The W's are the only thing separating A-Rod from the truly elite at this point isn't it? Until he gets a few big ones it's tough to put him there.

DannyMilk
07-02-2010, 04:58 PM
I think Cutler will be better than Rodgers this year...Love, SS Chicago...in all seriousness, I don't think he's a top 5 QB...gotta put Manning, Brees, Brady, Romo (no I'm not a Romo homer at all, even though I used to play basketball in the Rec at Eastern with him, no big deal haha), and Big Ben (when healthy and with no off field issues)...I think Rodgers is kind of in the same category as Flacco, Rivers (not a fan), Eli Manning, Schaub, and Cutler (really REALLY needs to prove himself this year)...still not quite in that top tier, but with 1 or 2 more consistent top 5 years could get there where we mention them in the same breath...just my opinion, let the hating begin

jojoG522
07-02-2010, 05:01 PM
In all fairness, the Packers D didn't make the trip to Arizona this past January, or else we may be talking a bit more about how Rodgers is now a more seasoned QB with a quality playoff win or two under his belt....his moxie kept them in that one, and if the defense followed his lead, they would have given New Orleans all they could have handled.

On another front, the guy is pure fantasy gold. Had him last year...the passing TDs and yardage are great, but the rushing yards and TDs are the mustard on the brat....

jeffwaytowich
07-02-2010, 05:26 PM
On another front, the guy is pure fantasy gold. Had him last year...the passing TDs and yardage are great, but the rushing yards and TDs are the mustard on the brat....

I flat out won 2 leagues cause of A-Rod in the last 2 years. That alone reserves a spot in my heart!

As for "real" football, it won't be long until this guy starts winning big games. Look at the circumstances in which he became the Packers starter. To be where he is now with that sort of pressure is nothing short of amazing! And the Pack really do set up nicely to be serious contenders this year and in future seasons.

But before we label him top 5 worthy he needs to win a few games in the playoffs. When that happens, we will feel foolish for even debating this.

CCARaven4
07-03-2010, 01:40 PM
I think Cutler will be better than Rodgers this year...Love, SS Chicago...in all seriousness, I don't think he's a top 5 QB...gotta put Manning, Brees, Brady, Romo (no I'm not a Romo homer at all, even though I used to play basketball in the Rec at Eastern with him, no big deal haha), and Big Ben (when healthy and with no off field issues)...I think Rodgers is kind of in the same category as Flacco, Rivers (not a fan), Eli Manning, Schaub, and Cutler (really REALLY needs to prove himself this year)...still not quite in that top tier, but with 1 or 2 more consistent top 5 years could get there where we mention them in the same breath...just my opinion, let the hating begin

Finally, someone giving Ben some credit. All of my friends think he's trash and has been boosted by his team, but he really is a top 5 QB. On the other hand, I think I would put Rodgers in for Romo in my top 5, with Romo, Rivers, Schaub, Flacco, Eli, Cutler coming afterwards in that order.

Cris Collinsworth
07-03-2010, 02:14 PM
Aaron Rogers has the personality of a star. He is a leader, he survived replacing Brett, he has put up huge numbers in cold weather, he has playoff experience, played well under pressure, and remember he put up those numbers last year while getting hit on almost every play for a while. Nobody took the beating he took early last year. MVP, Super Bowl champ, nothing is out of his reach. Top 6 for me.

CCARaven4
07-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Aaron Rogers has the personality of a star. He is a leader, he survived replacing Brett, he has put up huge numbers in cold weather, he has playoff experience, played well under pressure, and remember he put up those numbers last year while getting hit on almost every play for a while. Nobody took the beating he took early last year. MVP, Super Bowl champ, nothing is out of his reach. Top 6 for me.

So you have five guys ahead of him? Brady, Manning, Brees, Romo, and Big Ben? Of all the things you mentioned about Aaron, does that not put him above at least Romo? Romo has been good in the regular season but has not led his team very deep in the playoffs, and you could probably equate the pressure that each of them feel. The Cowboys and the Packers both expect great things from their teams, and the natural pressure on any 'Boys QB is similar to the pressure of replacing Brett in Green Bay.

Ninernightmare
07-03-2010, 03:42 PM
It kills me that the Niners took Alex over Aaron, although I believe if we would have took Aaron he wouldn't be having near the success he is having now. The Niners have been a mess for awhile.

BUCTD3
07-03-2010, 04:08 PM
I think that there is an important distinction that must be made before we start deciding who the top 5 quarterbacks are. We must first determine if we are doing this based off the individual accomplishments of the individual or the success of the team or both. In my opinion the answer lies somewhere right smack in the middle which is why you have to start this list with has to start with Manning, Brady, and Brees. There is no one else in their stratosphere. The domination of that these guys have had on the league is unbelievable. Then you start the next tier in which you have Big Ben, Rodgers, Romo, Eli, Rivers. However, If I had to rank them I would start with Rivers, Big Ben, Eli (just because of the Super Bowl) Rodgers, and then Romo.

CCARaven4
07-03-2010, 04:26 PM
However, If I had to rank them I would start with Rivers, Big Ben, Eli (just because of the Super Bowl) Rodgers, and then Romo.

Putting Rivers above Ben and Rodgers? He's been alright, but not that good, in my mind. The team he's had has really carried him, and he hasn't been able to give them that extra push to the Super Bowl. The Chargers have had the talent to make the Super Bowl at least once in the past four or five years, and they've failed each time. Eventually, that has to come back to their leader, Rivers.

hscorpio05
07-03-2010, 04:47 PM
If you were starting a franchise for the next 10 years, which QB would you take?

Gotta think ARod and Rivers top the list, no? Possibly Big Ben, although I think you have to take character into account with him. If you're looking even younger, Matt Ryan would probably be next on the list.

DannyMilk
07-03-2010, 06:33 PM
I wouldn't start my franchise with Rivers or Ben...Rodgers is ok, but he's a Packer, and I'm born and raised on the SS of Chicago, so I can't even say it haha...I mean, if you are looking to win within 3 years, and that's it, maybe take Ben...but if you are thinking a Brady/Manning 10 year run with a couple Super Bowls or so and 7-8 Pro Bowls, I think Flacco and Schaub are it for me...All depends on what you have in place...not sure Schaub is as good without Andre Johnson...and yes, I'm a Flacco homer, I'm well aware...just like his arm strength, decision making and confidence personally...I think he's going to get a lot better this year.

Andy Freeland
07-03-2010, 07:05 PM
I think you're the first person to mention Matt Schaub, who led the league in passing yards last year. The concern with Schaub is durability. He played 16 games last year for the first time in his career after missing 5 games each of the previous 2 seasons. He is underrated, probably as you mentioned because most people assume his success is due more to Johnson than to himself, not sure I could argue with that. If I was looking for a 10 year run I wouldn't even consider Schaub right now because of injuries, maybe if he plays 16 again this year.

DannyMilk
07-03-2010, 07:13 PM
I'm always looking towards the future Andy hahaha...yeah, I didn't even think of the health factor, which is obviously a HUGE concern.

mikehoward31
07-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Once he gets better O-line play this question will be more easily answered. Top 5 in my book....

kling124
07-04-2010, 11:42 AM
The only complaint about Rodgers after year 1 was he couldn't win the big game. I don't know if he shed that completely but the Bears game in Week 1 was a start. The knock now is that he can't get the ball out of his hands. I'm interested (and hopeful) to see how he and McCarthy have addressed that for this upcoming year.

bluestree
07-04-2010, 12:17 PM
I personally think Romo is overated. If he's in Buffalo no one even mentions him, IMO. Brady and Manning are future HOfer's, Brees is a championship guy, but who else has more upside than Aaron Rodgers? He's building his career brick by brick.

ncoolong
07-04-2010, 12:26 PM
I think you said it best, he's pure fantasy gold.

A great QB? Yeah, it's tough to make the argument that he isn't. But...that Cardinals game, as well as the Steelers game earlier in the year are marks against him, in my opinion. Not because he failed to score points, but because he failed to control the clock. I think he had opportunities in both of those games to put his team away with a series of possession-extending plays, but instead, went for the score.

Against Pittsburgh, Rodgers had a fantastic game. Problem was, Ben Roethlisberger did as well. Rodgers needed to recognize that while he was carving up Pittsburgh's D, Ben was doing the same thing to his. He didn't give his defense a chance to rest and regroup, and Ben ultimately beat him on the last possession.

The QB is really the only position that affects both the offense and the defense. When Rodgers learns that bleeding a team out is better overall than earning that quick kill, he'll be truly one of the best.

The QB is the face and leader of the team. Because of that, unfortunately (perhaps unfairly), he takes the responsibility for scoring too quickly against Pittsburgh, and despite scoring 45 points, he takes the blame for fumbling in OT against Arizona.

ncoolong
07-04-2010, 12:31 PM
The only complaint about Rodgers after year 1 was he couldn't win the big game. I don't know if he shed that completely but the Bears game in Week 1 was a start. The knock now is that he can't get the ball out of his hands. I'm interested (and hopeful) to see how he and McCarthy have addressed that for this upcoming year.

I'm not necessarily suggesting the offensive line didn't have its share of blame in the high sack numbes Rodgers took, but at the same time, the unit did not grade out proportionately to the number of sacks Rodgers took.

The Packers offensive line definitely was not great, but it was in the 21-24 range in comparison with the rest of the league. Rodgers was sacked 49 times, which was the second-highest in the league (Roethlisberger, 50). Not allowing sacks is not the line's only purpose. It's ultimately providing enough time for the passer to get rid of the ball.

Both Roethlisberger and Rodgers are gun-slinger QBs who have loads of confidence in their abilities. Because of that, they're going to wait that extra second and throw into the face of the rush because they feel they can still make a play. Both are great QBs because they do make that play often. However, they're both going to take a lot of sacks because of it.

Rodgers seems to be a better QB when he's facing pressure. I know Roethlisberger is. So you take the good with the bad, and hope they don't get hurt too often.

JesseFritsch
07-05-2010, 04:30 AM
Aaron Rodgers has just blown me away with the way he carries himself. The way he commands the offense in practice, his personality, the way he interacts with his teammates. We're not only a very good franchise that has the people in place within the organization to make good decisions, but we also got lucky and hit a home run with him in the draft. Every time I see #12 in practice it brings a smile to my face, even though he denied my pleading for an autograph at mini-camp. When I watch him he doesn't appear to have many flaws. He's a guy who definitely plays cautious, you can tell he dreads making the big mistake that his short term mentor was known for. I think this is the year where he gets settled and carries over those last 7-8 games where he looked in total command for the first time. Hopefully the offensive line can stay healthy so he doesn't get antsy.

He has the cool head, personality, leadership, arm strength, accuracy, mobility, decision making. The only things holding him back from top 4 elite status is a playoff run and his still small starting resume. This should be the year he takes off, hopefully he stays healthy.

CanPackFan
07-05-2010, 07:13 PM
I'm not sure exactly where Rodgers ranks right now, certainly close to the top. But between his amazing skill level (2nd to none), his overall positive and poised demeanour, plus his age and limited wear and tear (notwithstanding the first half of last year), I'd say there's not another QB in the league I'd trade him for, including the Mannings/Brees/Bradys who are starting to get up there in age. Anyone who judges these things based on one play in one game (i.e. the early picks and late fumble against Zona) is plain stupid and/or shortsighted. Peyton Manning's had his share of failures, as has Brady, plus hall of famers like Steve Young, Marino, that previous QB we had (#4), etc. yet those are all guys we'd take on our team without hesitation.

FLPackerFan
07-05-2010, 08:49 PM
I think Aaron Rogers will take the next step. This kid works real hard in practice and carries himself well on and off the field. They way he has handled all the distractions have made him better. I believe he will get rid of the ball quicker this season. That with having Clifton and Tauscher back healthy from the start will help. If one goes down they have more depth now with Lang and first round pick Brian Bulaga. I really believe Rodger will win a Super Bowl and maybe multiple ones. I am excited about the 2010 season.

atnelson928
07-05-2010, 11:02 PM
When I think back to my thoughts in August of 2008 when all the drama with Brett coming out of retirement was going down, I can't say that I had much hope for Rodgers growing into a decent (never mind a top tier) NFL QB. The manner in which he handled the media sh!tstorm surrounding that situation and then backing it up on the field with great play surpassed my wildest expectations.

The Packers are going to need some personnel help on both sides of the ball in the next couple of seasons in order to win a title but every Sunday I feel good about our QB - which a lot of fans can't say.

JesseFritsch
07-06-2010, 01:42 AM
The Packers are going to need some personnel help on both sides of the ball in the next couple of seasons in order to win a title.

I think we have the all-around team right now to win a Superbowl. When I look over the roster I just see minimal problems, when I look at most other rosters I see much bigger problems than the Packers have. We have injury concerns at CB/LT, but it is what it is.

We have a top end QB, we have a capable RB, we have a versatile group of FB's, we have plenty of WR's, we have very strong TE depth and an emerging star, we have experienced and still viable tackles, we have two of the most talented tackle prospects in all of football, we have the most underrated guard in football in Josh Sitton, we have Scott Wells and Jason Spitz inside, we have top end 34 DE's in Jolly/Jenkins, with intriguing backup's, we have a more than viable DT rotation, we have experience and depth at MLB, we have an emerging star at OLB, but little depth, we have versatile CB's, one who might be in trouble, we have two very talented backups in Lee and Underwood who could really prove it this year, a top end safety in Collins, a solid hammer in Bigby, and a talented backup rookie.

All we really lack is one more legitimate guard opposite Sitton, OLB depth, and CB depth. We have a great situation. I don't see us needing anymore help on either side of the ball than any other playoff team out there. In the NFC I think we the best overall team make-up, the Vikings and Cowboys are right there. We are in elite territory.

GBPKS
07-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Top 5 is a tall order.

Manning, Brees, Brady, and Roethlisberger have to be considered above him because they've all won Super Bowls and are all still in the prime of their careers.

There are plenty of possible candidates for that fifth spot, and I think Rodgers is definitely worthy of consideration.

atnelson928
07-07-2010, 11:26 AM
We are in elite territory.

Don't get me wrong; I think we're in a pretty good situation. I'm just not sure that we've got the juice to win it all (on paper, in July). Could the Pack get hot and run the table? Sure. Last season I remember thinking that was entirely possible based on how things were shaking out in the second half of the season.

You pointed this out, but my biggest concerns are the secondary, LB, D-Line, and O-Line (in that order). Perhaps this is just because the Arizona game is freshest in my mind, but I feel like we're walking a very thin line on defense. Can you imagine what would happen if Matthews had to miss a month or so? Where would our pass rush come from? I think that things are even worse on the outside. Harris -might- be back at midseason (in what form?) and Woodson is getting up there as well as always seems to deal with some kind of random injury each year. After them, who do you trust in man coverage? The lines are fine at the top of the chart but again my concern is what happens when things start getting shuffled.

We do of course have a very young roster so offseason development could definitely alleviate some of these issues. I also concede that injuries are an equal threat to every team and at some level it is an academic argument. But for me, the question is this: do you think the Packers were a top-5 team last year? I don't. The worst depth concerns present at the end of last season (e.g. CB) haven't been addressed - which is why I think we will still need some (not a lot) of personnel help to get to a SB in the next couple of years.

FessJL0861
07-07-2010, 11:29 AM
You know Turk its funny you bring up the AR vs. Alex Smith out of college comparison. I remember watching that draft and watching him fall... and fall... and fall... When the Packers finally grabbed him I think I was actually giddy. As a former QB, did you or some of the guys you played with actually have that "slighted by a few teams" chip on your shoulder? I feel that with him.

jeffwaytowich
07-07-2010, 11:32 AM
If you were starting a franchise for the next 10 years, which QB would you take?

Matt Ryan needs to be in this discussion right? Man, the guy is just coming into his 3rd year.

GBPKS
07-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Don't get me wrong; I think we're in a pretty good situation. I'm just not sure that we've got the juice to win it all (on paper, in July). Could the Pack get hot and run the table? Sure. Last season I remember thinking that was entirely possible based on how things were shaking out in the second half of the season.

You pointed this out, but my biggest concerns are the secondary, LB, D-Line, and O-Line (in that order). Perhaps this is just because the Arizona game is freshest in my mind, but I feel like we're walking a very thin line on defense. Can you imagine what would happen if Matthews had to miss a month or so? Where would our pass rush come from? I think that things are even worse on the outside. Harris -might- be back at midseason (in what form?) and Woodson is getting up there as well as always seems to deal with some kind of random injury each year. After them, who do you trust in man coverage? The lines are fine at the top of the chart but again my concern is what happens when things start getting shuffled.

We do of course have a very young roster so offseason development could definitely alleviate some of these issues. I also concede that injuries are an equal threat to every team and at some level it is an academic argument. But for me, the question is this: do you think the Packers were a top-5 team last year? I don't. The worst depth concerns present at the end of last season (e.g. CB) haven't been addressed - which is why I think we will still need some (not a lot) of personnel help to get to a SB in the next couple of years.

I think the Packers are definitely in the Super Bowl conversation, but there are no guarantees. The biggest question marks are the pass rush, the secondary, and special teams. But, every team has question marks. If you have an elite quarterback, which I think we do, you're ahead of the game in so many respects...

Mike
07-07-2010, 11:58 AM
The O-line is the most important unit on the team. A good line makes everyone around them look better, and a bad line makes everyone look a lot worse. Rodgers looked very good behind a (very) bad o-line. As a Vikes fan it makes me very worried how he will look with a good o-line. Top 6 in my book.

GBPKS
07-07-2010, 12:03 PM
The O-line is the most important unit on the team. A good line makes everyone around them look better, and a bad line makes everyone look a lot worse. Rodgers looked very good behind a (very) bad o-line. As a Vikes fan it makes me very worried how he will look with a good o-line. Top 6 in my book.

I think the Packers' OLine woes were a little overstated last year. Much like Roethlisberger, Rodgers holds the ball too long trying to make plays and that contributed to the sack totals. The line was much improved in the second half of the year once Tauscher came back to solidify the right tackle spot. Hopefully, with the drafting of Bryan Bulaga, the line will be more deep and stable this year as opposed to having to shift guys all over the place.

JUMPAROUND
07-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Rodgers ability to pick up first downs with his feet lift him towards to the top of the quarterback fantasy rankings, but not a top 5 quarterback in the league?

GBPKS
07-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Rodgers ability to pick up first downs with his feet lift him towards to the top of the quarterback fantasy rankings, but not a top 5 quarterback in the league?

Quarterbacks are ultimately judged on wins, and thus far Aaron is 17-16 as an NFL starter, with an 0-1 playoff record. I think he is in the conversation but there's a gap right now between the top four (Manning, Brees, Brady, Roethlisberger) and whoever lays claim to #5...

MiamiMitch
07-07-2010, 01:37 PM
QB's shouldn't be judged on wins, simply for the fact that it is a complete team game. Was Marino judged on wins? QB's should be judged on talent....Rodgers is gonna be GREAT.

Cris Collinsworth
07-07-2010, 01:37 PM
We are leaving out Brett Favre. Look at the numbers from last year. We all remember the interception, but he did have a great year. Phillip Rivers probably belongs at number 5, but the playoff losses take you back to your Rogers point which is a good one.

GBPKS
07-07-2010, 01:51 PM
We are leaving out Brett Favre. Look at the numbers from last year. We all remember the interception, but he did have a great year. Phillip Rivers probably belongs at number 5, but the playoff losses take you back to your Rogers point which is a good one.

I'm not leaving out Favre - he kind of belongs in his own class right now. I personally have a hard time believing that he can replicate the performance from last year, but if he can then he certainly belongs in that top 5 conversation.

Rivers is a definite candidate for that #5, but he's never quite been able to put it all together in the playoffs. That being said, I don't think he has had a losing season in the NFL either. Based on pedigree and Super Bowl rings, Eli Manning can certainly make a claim as well. He doesn't have the stats of some of the other guys, but he has been a proven winner.

My point with Rodgers is more that he only has two seasons under his belt, so it's a tall order to put him in the category of guys who have been there and done that. I think Rodgers has clearly proven that the Packers made the right decision to move on and let Brett go, and I think he will be an elite quarterback in this league for years to come. But, I'd like to see him get a few playoff wins first befoore we anoint him...

JUMPAROUND
07-07-2010, 02:06 PM
I'm not leaving out Favre - he kind of belongs in his own class right now. I personally have a hard time believing that he can replicate the performance from last year, but if he can then he certainly belongs in that top 5 conversation.

Rivers is a definite candidate for that #5, but he's never quite been able to put it all together in the playoffs. That being said, I don't think he has had a losing season in the NFL either. Based on pedigree and Super Bowl rings, Eli Manning can certainly make a claim as well. He doesn't have the stats of some of the other guys, but he has been a proven winner.

My point with Rodgers is more that he only has two seasons under his belt, so it's a tall order to put him in the category of guys who have been there and done that. I think Rodgers has clearly proven that the Packers made the right decision to move on and let Brett go, and I think he will be an elite quarterback in this league for years to come. But, I'd like to see him get a few playoff wins first befoore we anoint him...

I am interested to see how Phillip Rivers perseveres this season with all the stories surrounding the Chargers this summer. How will he adjust to Vincent Jackson being out for an extended amount of time. What if McNeil holds out and they can't block his blind side? Can Ryan Matthews take some pressure off Rivers with a viable running game? This season for the Chargers seems like it may revolve around how good Phillip Rivers is under pressure. I know the guy is a tough redneck, but I'm putting my money on Aaron Rodgers to have more wins, passing yds and touchdowns by the end of the season.

Jetsfan
07-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Without a doubt Rodgers will be a top 3 QB this year. Only Manning and Brees will be better. I have a feeling Grant will be better than last year where he proved he could be a #1 back. Teams will have to respect the running game more which will help Rodgers even more.

ScottDCP
07-07-2010, 03:03 PM
For my money I would take for THIS year Peyton and Brees ahead of him. Possibly Brady. Anybody else is pretty much on par or worse than A-Rod.

Right there with ya, hscorpio5. Throw Schaub in just behind him, and you're doing fine whichever one you choose.

bluestree
07-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Brett Favre has made a career out of poor playoff performances. I'd say that's worse than lack of opportunity.

GBPKS
07-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Brett Favre has made a career out of poor playoff performances. I'd say that's worse than lack of opportunity.

In 18 years, you are going to have some good performances and some bad performances. He has taken his team(s) to the playoffs more often than not, and has a Super Bowl ring to his credit. Brett may not be the greatest QB in NFL history, but he's better than 98% of the people who have played the position.

Wordsworth
07-07-2010, 05:42 PM
How long will it take before people give love to Matt Schaub? There are a lot of people out there who think Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco are better QBs than Schaub just because they get all the press. Schaub led the NFL in passing yards last year and has magnificent touch on his deep ball. He makes quick reads and is a calm presence on the field. He lacks ideal leadership mentality and sometimes gets happy feet, but I would take him over a whole host of other guys at the position. I'm not saying he's top 3 or even top 5, but he's still a stud.

Andy Freeland
07-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Schaub has gotten a few mentions here, but I think there are 2 big issues keeping him from being in the top 5 conversation:
1. injuries. He played 16 games last year for the first time ever. He missed 5 games each of the 2 previous years.
2. How much of Schaub's success is his own and how much is just whoever's throwing to Andre Johnson?
If Schaub has another season where he plays 15 or 16 games and throws close to 30 TDs, the world will start to notice.

GBPKS
07-08-2010, 11:50 AM
I agree with Andy - there are a few things working against Schaub. 1) He hasn't stayed healthy for a full season before last year, and 2) He hasn't led his team to a winning season yet, never mind a playoff berth.

8-8 has been the ceiling in Houston, and if he wants to get into the Top 5 conversation, Houston has to win some more games.

Wordsworth
07-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Houston finished 9-7, but I get your point. He hasn't had longevity of being a good player to warrant any attention.

FessJL0861
07-09-2010, 12:38 PM
I have been and always will be a diehard Packer fan. I like where Rodgers has taken us and the direction he has the team going. Though I still get nervous when he starts holding the ball a few seconds too long.