PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Draft Bust in NFL History

Jaco
08-17-2010, 12:09 AM
Gregg Easterbrook (ESPN's TMQ), claims that Jamarcus Russell has now supplanted Ryan Leaf as the greatest draft bust in NFL history. Agree? If not, who's your guy and why?

(http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/100816_tuesday_morning_quarterback_trailer&sportCat=nfl)

msclemons
08-17-2010, 12:11 AM
I've gotta agree with Easterbrook. Ryan Leaf was bad but at least he put some effot into the game. JaMarcus didn't even seem to try.

BuckeyeRidley
08-17-2010, 12:14 AM
I do too! I was saying that last month & some stuck with Ryan Leaf. I could see that JaMarcus' early lack of desire and work was putting him first. That is not good and is something that has be remembered with all those other teams who MAY consider taking him (Jets were rumored to be interested).

Colts01
08-17-2010, 12:16 AM
I think this threads been done,but JARuss for me as well

Jaco
08-17-2010, 12:18 AM
I think this threads been done,but JARuss for me as well

If so, I apologize. Just happened to be reading about it now.

msclemons
08-17-2010, 12:18 AM
Check out Easterbrooks' revisited draft list for 2007. It's sort of fun.

BuckeyeRidley
08-17-2010, 12:24 AM
If so, I apologize. Just happened to be reading about it now. Its All Good! Nothing personal at all. I just find it interesting that JaMarcus went down hill so bad and the world is witnessing it as well. What ashamed!

msclemons
08-17-2010, 12:29 AM
Hrmmm... JaMarcus and Leaf get all the attention, but what about that receiver that got drafted ahead of Cris Collinsworth? Didn't Cris kick him out of the league in one year?

Jaco
08-17-2010, 12:35 AM
No offense taken!

Even Vick got a second chance in the NFL. Looks like Russell might not. Early word was the Saints and Colts might take a look at him down the line. You have to think this latest codeine-related scandal might have been the last nail in the coffin for his NFL career. It's always sad when guys don't succeed when every indication is they should. I've been privileged enough to be around a few collegiate players, and I always worry about the guys that don't take college seriously. If this is truly the end for Mr. Russell, I hope that he has something to fall back on (or he was smart enough to save and invest his money). Every NFL player should have a backup plan, but it seems as though many don't. I think Leaf ended up a coach for a small-time college. His wikipedia page says he's got 10 years probation and he resigned for asking for pills from a player. Sad.

Colts01
08-17-2010, 12:51 AM
No offense taken!

Even Vick got a second chance in the NFL. Looks like Russell might not. Early word was the Saints and Colts might take a look at him down the line. You have to think this latest codeine-related scandal might have been the last nail in the coffin for his NFL career. It's always sad when guys don't succeed when every indication is they should. I've been privileged enough to be around a few collegiate players, and I always worry about the guys that don't take college seriously. If this is truly the end for Mr. Russell, I hope that he has something to fall back on (or he was smart enough to save and invest his money). Every NFL player should have a backup plan, but it seems as though many don't. I think Leaf ended up a coach for a small-time college. His wikipedia page says he's got 10 years probation and he resigned for asking for pills from a player. Sad.

I cant begin to think of Peyton and Jabba on the same team,...make it stop...then again,Curtis painter...need to think about this!

BuckeyeRidley
08-17-2010, 12:53 AM
No offense taken!

For Real! I thought that he'd turn his life around & be better but it appears he's on the same path. Really unfortunate! Also, I know that he stated in his "Outside The Lines" interview in 2007 that he kept in contact sometimes with Peyton Manning. It would have been good if he would have had better structure as a young player.

imiweli
08-17-2010, 04:00 AM
Has to be Russell, cos he got paid like 3 times more money than Leaf

however, while highly unlikely, he may still develop into at least a backup QB

Polishguy00
08-17-2010, 08:36 AM
The interview will Colleen Dominguez certainly did not help. He looked as unprepared in that interview as he did on the football field. But, he's got enough money to buy a lot of codeine cough syrup and never feel a thing. Sad, really.

SEABAGS
08-17-2010, 09:51 AM
Not to hi-jack the thread, but i was peering thru the 1999 draft. Here's a short list of 1st rd busts.

QB Tim Couch, cleveland......#1 overall
QB Akili Smith, bengals.........#3
WR David Boston, cards.........#8
QB Cade McNown, bears.......#12
DE Lamar King, Seattle.........#22

KevinG
08-17-2010, 12:39 PM
my list goes like this:

1. J. Russell, Raiders
2. R. Leaf, Chargers
3. T. Mandarich, Packers (he did come back and play respectably for the Colts but never lived up to the hype)

BubbaLove
08-17-2010, 10:51 PM
my list goes like this:

1. J. Russell, Raiders
2. R. Leaf, Chargers
3. T. Mandarich, Packers (he did come back and play respectably for the Colts but never lived up to the hype)

The problem with picking Mandarich is the fact that he returned to the NFL after a couple of years off played pretty well for the Colts for 3 or 4 years.

BubbaLove
08-17-2010, 10:58 PM
There's always Brian Bosworth as well, but his failures as a NFL player may be our gain when consider his amazing movie career with such classics as Stone Cold.

ElShay
08-18-2010, 06:41 AM
It's a tossup between Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell. Leaf was the 2nd overall pick and got lesser money than Russell, so this might mean that the Raider fans have had to suffer a little more than Charger fans for this one. But Russell's draft was pretty awful for QBs, even Quinn hasn't done much.

Gandalf2300
08-18-2010, 09:23 AM
Not to hi-jack the thread, but i was peering thru the 1999 draft. Here's a short list of 1st rd busts.

QB Tim Couch, cleveland......#1 overall
QB Akili Smith, bengals.........#3
WR David Boston, cards.........#8
QB Cade McNown, bears.......#12
DE Lamar King, Seattle.........#22

These guys were certainly busts. There is another bust that no one else has mentioned-Lawrence Phillips-RB, drafted by the STL Rams in 1996, with the # 5 or 6 pick. The Rams had traded Jerome Bettis to the Steelers for old magazines and a bag of chips earlier, after getting into a contract dispute with him (thanks, Rams!).

It is worth noting that the Rams drafted Phillips even after he was arrested for domestic violence. A local here in Saint Louis told me once that the Rams had to give Phillips intravenous fluid before games, because he was hung over from drinking too much and dehydrated.

Polishguy00
08-18-2010, 09:46 AM
On my podcast there is a final segment called Model American of the Week. It was mostly inspired by Mr. Phillips. Most of the stuff is more light-hearted than any of the stories I am about to tell.

His version of domestic violence is the not just a terrible fight. He allegedly waited outside the house/apartment complex for an ex-girlfriend to get home from a night out. She came home alone. He believed that she was dating a new guy. His response to an undesired response from her was to slam her head against the mailbox structure for the complex. That was at Nebraska.

In Miami, he may have punched a girl because she said no to dancing with him.

He is now in jail because he tried to kill some players by running him down with his car after he did not like something about the game. I do not know if he was ever convicted in the first two incidents, but he is in jail for the third.

Mr. Phillips certainly should get some votes for worst draft pick ever.

Andy Freeland
08-18-2010, 10:11 AM
One of the great Lawrence Philips stories is how he got arrested for DUI. A cop was trying to pull someone else over for speed when Phillips passed them both, while driving on the shoulder with 2 flat tires and sparks flying from his rims.

PhinsJunkie
08-18-2010, 10:15 AM
To me, I would consider busts having to do with a lot of hype/expectations without production. By that definition, Brian Bosworth comes to mind. There are also those "so sad, busts" where other factors such as injuries affected their less than stellar careers. In this category, I would put KiJana Carter, Steve Eemtman and Yatil Green. And then, there are those "what happened to that guy - Busts"; Curtis Enis comes to mind, Blair Thomas. There seems to be a Penn State theme going on here.

Polishguy00
08-18-2010, 12:29 PM
KiJana blew his knee out on some bad turf. Steve Emtman was an absolute bust and dealt with injuries (shoulder?). Yatil Green was a good, solid bust. Curtis Enis retired to become an actor (no joke), then became a preacher and now is...I dunno. Those are the types of "Where Are They Now?" articles I want to see done. Blair Thomas was a good bust, along with DJ Dozier in football and in baseball.

Here is how someone becomes a bad draft pick:

Three bad stories about a guy are written and then a fourth is as well. The reaction to the 4th one is "Oh, I forgot about the DUI where he had busted tires and the cop already had someone pulled over."

Polishguy00
08-18-2010, 12:37 PM
I may have to put together a list of great bust Florida college wide receivers. Green, Peter Warrick, Jack Jackson, Travis Taylor, Ron Dugans, and Jacquez Green come to mind.

bas3643
08-18-2010, 02:39 PM
I would probably have to say Russell is the biggest bust. But here are some other guys that were busts as well: LB Brian Bonsworth QB Andre Ware WR Charles Rogers, and a guy that you could throw in there is Archie Griffin. Was a decent pro back but never lived up to the hype of a 2 time Heisman Trophy winner at Ohio State.

rxbrown86
08-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Yes Jamarcus Russell is the biggest bust of all time. Why? He got paid the most money and delivered the least. Ryan Leaf wasn't the first overall pick like Russell was either. I laughed when the Raiders made the selection of Russell because I thought to myself... when has an LSU QB ever done anything in the NFL? LSU has consistently won with defense and running the ball. Yet, here come the Raiders that year with the worst selection of all time. "Go vertical Jamarcus."

Andy Freeland
08-18-2010, 10:19 PM
I thought to myself... when has an LSU QB ever done anything in the NFL?

Most successful LSU QBs:
1. Y.A. Tittle
2. Bert Jones
3. Alvin Dark (MLB shortstop and manager)

So yeah, it's been a while.

msclemons
08-18-2010, 10:27 PM
If my math is right, J Russ made more for 2 TD passes (2.2 million per TD) than those three made in their whole careers, combined.

That makes me want to chug some purple drank.