PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Week 3 - Packers 59 - Colts 24 - Thursday 8-26-10

DannyMilk
08-17-2010, 01:16 AM
GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Aaron Rodgers extended his sizzling start to the preseason, throwing three touchdowns before halftime.

The points just kept coming after that for the Green Bay Packers (2-1), who scored six offensive touchdowns and twice on special teams on their way to a 59-24 preseason rout of the Indianapolis Colts at Lambeau Field on Thursday night.

Expectations are high in Green Bay this season, and Rodgers has shown every indication that he is ready to lead a deep playoff run.

"When we get into a rhythm like we have this preseason on offense, we're going to be tough to stop," Rodgers said. "It's fun."

For the Colts (0-3), the biggest worry wasn't the final score.

Running back Joseph Addai left the game in the third quarter with a concussion and linebacker Gary Brackett hurt his right hand. Addai said he "just got a little dizzy" but was fine after that.

"Really, they didn't do any tests, they didn't need to," Addai said. "I was fine. If I needed to go back in, I could've."

Colts coach Jim Caldwell didn't have an immediate update on injuries, and wasn't overly concerned about the lopsided final score.

"It wasn't 59 points against our starters, it was 59 points overall," Caldwell said.

Rodgers threw for 195 yards in the first half Thursday. In three preseason games, he has completed 77.4 percent of his passes with six touchdowns and no interceptions.

Peyton Manning made plenty of big plays against a porous Packers pass defense early on, but Rodgers was up for an offensive exhibition against one of the NFL's elite quarterbacks. Trailing 17-7 early in the second quarter, Rodgers rallied the Packers to a 28-17 halftime lead -- including a masterful touchdown drive in the two-minute drill just before halftime.

Adding to the injury problems for Indianapolis, cornerback Jacob Lacey left the game with a concussion, offensive tackle Tony Ugoh hurt his toe and defensive tackle Antonio Johnson sustained a groin injury.

"Obviously the score got away at the end, which is certainly possible in the preseason; you're playing a lot of young guys," Manning said. "Offensively, some things that we did well, but as with most preseason games, some things that we can certainly improve on."

Manning threw for 214 yards with two touchdowns and an interception. He stayed in the game for one series after halftime, only to have things turn ugly.

Manning was hit and stripped of the ball by outside linebacker Frank Zombo, an undrafted free agent making a bid for a roster spot, and it was scooped up by linebacker Robert Francois -- who delivered a hard hit to Addai when the running back tried to tackle him, leaving him woozy on the sideline.

The Packers' offensive and special teams success was tempered by another shaky preseason performance from the first-team defense, although rookie safety Morgan Burnett pounced on a Manning pass for an impressive interception late in the second quarter.

Green Bay's defense has struggled in its first three preseason games. Defensive coordinator Dom Capers is keeping his scheme fairly vanilla until the games count -- although he did dial up pressure at times Thursday -- and a few key players are out injured.

Green Bay was without cornerback Al Harris, outside linebacker Clay Matthews, defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins and safety Atari Bigby.

"Defensively, we haven't played a game yet with all of our players on the field," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. "So the continuity is probably not where we'd like it to be right now."

The Colts played without center Jeff Saturday and tight end Dallas Clark.

Packers running back Ryan Grant got his first extensive preseason action, with mixed results. Grant rushed for 36 yards on eight carries, but lost control of the ball before teammate Scott Wells recovered. Packers backup running back Brandon Jackson lost a fumble.

"We had the ball on the ground too many times," McCarthy said. "We need to eliminate that from our play."

Game notes
The Packers lost cornerback Brandon Underwood to a shoulder injury, defensive lineman Jarius Wynn to a concussion and linebacker Desmond Bishop to a hamstring injury. ... Packers TE Jermichael Finley caught 6 passes for 85 yards and a touchdown. ... Colts WR Reggie Wayne caught 7 passes for 96 yards and a touchdown. ... Tara Greene, wife of Packers outside linebackers coach Kevin Greene, sang the national anthem.

Copyright by STATS LLC and The Associated Press

Team Stat Comparison IND GB
1st Downs 18 33
Passing 1st downs 14 24
Rushing 1st downs 3 6
1st downs from Penalties 1 3
3rd down efficiency 3-12 7-13
4th down efficiency 0-1 1-2
Total Plays 59 81
Total Yards 389 430
Passing 308 337
Comp-Att 21-37 33-47
Yards per pass 8.3 7.2
Rushing 81 93
Rushing Attempts 20 34
Yards per rush 4.1 2.7
Red Zone (Made-Att) 3-4 6-8
Penalties 12-116 2-25
Turnovers 4 1
Fumbles lost 2 1
Interceptions thrown 2 0
Defensive / Special Teams TDs 0 2
Possession 22:52 37:08

Passing Leaders
Indianapolis C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT RATING
Manning 15/26 214 8.2 2 1 94.1
Painter 6/11 97 8.8 0 1 46.4

Green Bay C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT RATING
Rodgers 21/29 195 6.7 3 0 124.9
Flynn 8/13 80 6.2 2 0 118.6

Rushing Leaders
Indianapolis CAR YDS AVG TD LG
Addai 7 60 8.6 0 49
Hart 2 8 4.0 0 5

Green Bay CAR YDS AVG TD LG
Grant 8 36 4.5 0 7
Lumpkin 9 26 2.9 1 9

Receiving Leaders
Indianapolis REC YDS AVG TD LG TGTS
Wayne 7 96 13.7 1 36 9
Garcon 2 42 21.0 1 24 6

Green Bay REC YDS AVG TD LG TGTS
Finley 6 85 14.2 1 25 8
Driver 5 35 7.0 1 10 8

Scoring SummaryFIRST QUARTER IND GNB
IND TD 14:38 Pierre Garcon 18 Yd Pass From Peyton Manning (Adam Vinatieri Kick) 7 0
GB TD 12:25 Donald Driver 6 Yd Pass From Aaron Rodgers (Mason Crosby Kick) 7 7
IND FG 05:16 Adam Vinatieri 41 Yd 10 7
SECOND QUARTER IND GNB
IND TD 14:39 Reggie Wayne 10 Yd Pass From Peyton Manning (Adam Vinatieri Kick) 17 7
GB TD 09:09 Jermichael Finley 15 Yd Pass From Aaron Rodgers (Mason Crosby Kick) 17 14
GB TD 03:21 Korey Hall Recovered Fumble In End Zone (Mason Crosby Kick) 17 21
GB TD 00:04 James Jones 3 Yd Pass From Aaron Rodgers (Mason Crosby Kick) 17 28
THIRD QUARTER IND GNB
GB FG 08:21 Mason Crosby 28 Yd 17 31
GB TD 06:43 John Kuhn 2 Yd Pass From Matt Flynn (Mason Crosby Kick) 17 38
IND TD 02:48 Donald Brown 1 Yd Run (Adam Vinatieri Kick) 24 38
FOURTH QUARTER IND GNB
GB TD 14:55 Andrew Quarless 11 Yd Pass From Matt Flynn (Mason Crosby Kick) 24 45
GB TD 06:12 Kregg Lumpkin 1 Yd Run (Mason Crosby Kick) 24 52
GB TD 04:54 Jason Chery 75 Yd Punt Return (Mason Crosby Kick) 24 59

FessJL0861
08-17-2010, 10:18 PM
It felt dirty to me to post the Bears game in pre2. I understand the nastiness you felt posting this game for pre3.

DannyMilk
08-17-2010, 11:59 PM
Haha I'm gonna pick the Colts to win...just cuz

Colts01
08-18-2010, 12:06 AM
Haha I'm gonna pick the Colts to win...just cuz

the colts have won 4 preseason games in 5 years...good luck with that..lol

DannyMilk
08-18-2010, 12:10 AM
better pay out...who is the depth chart for the Colts? Peyton, Painter, then who's 3 and 4?

Colts01
08-18-2010, 12:17 AM
3-Tom Brandstater...4-Tim Hiller and a guy named Drew Willy......lord help indy if peyton goes down

DannyMilk
08-18-2010, 12:29 AM
yikes...Tim Hiller sounds like an author who wrote a book about the demise of Madoff...idk why his name reminds me of it, but it does...and Tom Brandstater's name reminds me of Chris Berman's face haha

Colts01
08-18-2010, 12:30 AM
hahah,watching painter play reminds me of friday the 13th 1-4

DannyMilk
08-18-2010, 12:32 AM
haha I can't wait to watch this game now!

GBPKS
08-24-2010, 11:59 PM
Considering how good Jake Delhomme and Matt Hasselbeck have looked against the Packer defense, Curtis Painter may have a chance to show something to America on ESPN on Thursday night... I'm really scared of what Peyton Manning and company will do against us.

Our offense has looked terrific so far - but the defense and special teams have really been disappointing for a team with Super Bowl aspirations. But, then again, we looked like the '85 Bears in the preseason last year and got off to a terrible start so preseason performances are taken with at least a grain, if not a whole shaker, of salt.

bluestree
08-25-2010, 12:16 AM
yikes...Tim Hiller sounds like an author who wrote a book about the demise of Madoff...idk why his name reminds me of it, but it does...and Tom Brandstater's name reminds me of Chris Berman's face haha

Hiller, Willy and Brandstater. Helluva law firm.

FessJL0861
08-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Hiller, Willy and Brandstater. Helluva law firm.

Those would be the guys that do "pre-paid" law. on the weekends. in Fork Lick, MT. for $25 bucks an hour. Second thought, I wonder if they have a business card?

mattpett
08-26-2010, 12:13 PM
Packers are a lock, Manning will be out by the end of the first at the latest and then things just get ugly.

IndyColtsFan
08-26-2010, 08:15 PM
great cutback run by Addai then quick score to Garcon- but long pass interference penalty gives Driver a TD

bluestree
08-26-2010, 09:53 PM
Lot's of O in the first half. Looking at the score you'd think the D's didn't show up, but both sides of the ball are making plays. These may be the two best offenses in the NFL. Two fast, young teams, you could see the intensity build in both defenses when they were getting pushed around. Preseason, liberal substitution and guys sitting, but good football all around.

bluestree
08-26-2010, 09:56 PM
great cutback run by Addai then quick score to Garcon- but long pass interference penalty gives Driver a TD

It think rookie safety Morgan Burnett overan that run, and Addai broke it down beautfully. Addai is looking good.

Turk Schonert
08-26-2010, 10:10 PM
Anyone think that this is a preview of the 2 Super Bowl teams?

bluestree
08-26-2010, 10:30 PM
Could be. There's some guys going balls out. What do you think about Matt Flynn, coach?

Turk Schonert
08-26-2010, 10:39 PM
Could be. There's some guys going balls out. What do you think about Matt Flynn, coach?

Only watched the 1st quarter. Haven't seen him play much. Talking with a Packers coach, they seem to have confidence in him, but obviously they are crossing their fingers that Aaron doesn't get injured ... I just turned the game back on & saw that GB has 45 points, did Flynn light it up?

bluestree
08-26-2010, 10:46 PM
Only watched the 1st quarter. Haven't seen him play much. Talking with a Packers coach, they seem to have confidence in him, but obviously they are crossing their fingers that Aaron doesn't get injured ... I just turned the game back on & saw that GB has 45 points, did Flynn light it up?

He might have taken a little step up tonight, he looked poised against the Colts #1's. Does Peyton know this is preseason? He looks like he just got a letter from the IRS. Packers got some good breaks, field position, and Flynn delivered.

bluestree
08-26-2010, 10:54 PM
Now Graham Harrell is moving the ball. Whoa. This kid is showing some real athleticism, and a nice touch on the screen. Good feet. He looks like he could turn Flynn into an Arizona Cardinal.

Turk Schonert
08-26-2010, 11:17 PM
He might have taken a little step up tonight, he looked poised against the Colts #1's. Does Peyton know this is preseason? He looks like he just got a letter from the IRS. Packers got some good breaks, field position, and Flynn delivered. The back shoulder to Jones for 6 looked like ARod Lite.

I bet Peyton had a little talk with the offense before the game . This was their last tune-up before the regular season and he wanted the offense to treat their time on the field as if it were the regular season ... goal accomplished.

Colts01
08-26-2010, 11:21 PM
preseason or not 59 is alot of points to give up.That said still not worried as the colts just dont win preseason games in the Manning era,and Curtis Painter is one again Curtis Painter!

bluestree
08-26-2010, 11:25 PM
Manning is such an intense competitor. He looked like he hated losing this one as much as a real game. Things really bounced Green Bay's way, and hopefully, no injuries on their side. Any word on Brackett? Looked like Addai just got rung up.

Andy Freeland
08-26-2010, 11:25 PM
preseason or not 59 is alot of points to give up.That said still not worried as the colts just dont win preseason games in the Manning era,and Curtis Painter is one again Curtis Painter!

I agree, 59 is a whole bunch of points. And preseason or not, Peyton got hit hard and often tonight.

BuckeyeRidley
08-26-2010, 11:33 PM
Nice win for the Packers. They are doing what they did in the Postseason this year against the Cardinals and scoring high. Peyton will be fine with his Colts as Colts stated above. The Colts never show-up in the preseason but that seems to never be a problem. Aaron Rodgers is a beast & I think Marcellus Wiley was right to say that Rodgers can sit at the Big Boys table now.

bluestree
08-26-2010, 11:43 PM
Aaron Rodgers is a beast & I think Marcellus Wiley was right to say that Rodgers can sit at the Big Boys table now.

I think he needs to win in the playoffs first. Keep him hungry, which I think should be no problem. He's got that big ol' smile when he's got it going, and he's Captain Cool when the going gets tough. Did you catch the MNF crew doing their NFC Champ pick? I was so glad none of them picked Green Bay! I took that as a sign. lol There's a long ways to go. I thought the Colts struggled a bit with the defense Capers dialed up, and when they did they seemed to tighten up. But like I said before, Green Bay got the bounce.

So far NFP, PFT, ESPN have Brackett's injury as a "hand injury".

GBPKS
08-27-2010, 03:08 PM
I'm not going to go buy Super Bowl tickets just yet, but this was an encouraging game for the Packers. In the first two preseason games, the Packers played pretty vanilla defense and got torched by the Browns and Seahawks, and the first quarter looked like more of the same as the Colts cut them up. But, Dom Capers pulled out some tricks in the second quarter and suddenly we were able to get pass rush and force some turnovers.

The offense has been firing on all cylinders and the performance of Clifton and Tauscher against Freeney and Mathis was terrific. This game gave me some confidence that the Packers aren't going to have to score on every possession to win games.

DemCowboys
08-27-2010, 04:24 PM
I'm not going to go buy Super Bowl tickets just yet, but this was an encouraging game for the Packers.

That's good because the Cowboys are going to represent the NFC. :woot:

KabaModernFan
08-27-2010, 04:58 PM
I still say they should've gone for 60.

Colts01
08-27-2010, 05:18 PM

****** ******** kaba *********:woot:

mkocs6
08-27-2010, 05:36 PM

I'm with him.

mkocs6
08-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Also, I have a few questions for the group:

(1) Since when is Peyton Manning called 'the sheriff?' This nickname seems about as forced and maybe self-christened as 'the black mamba.' If a quarterback in the league has sheriff-like name, it's Tom Brady.

(1a) Did anyone else get tired of seeing Peyton Manning shake his head as he tried to hurry up after the ball was set and the official couldn't run fast enough to get behind the back and get into position? And, I suppose, hearing the announcers talk about this? I know it's a preseason game and I know the Colts want to play at a certain pace, but I'm sorry if the rules weren't changed specifically to help you get to the Super Bowl, Peyton ::cough::illegalcontact::cough::

(2) Was anyone else as impressed with Graham Harrell in the 4th quarter as I was? I thought he looked abysmal against the Browns in the first pre-season game, but last night his throws were sharp (it looks like his arm strength might be getting to where it needs to be have some sort of NFL career), and he looked comfortable in the pocket. Turk's thoughts especially would be great, but I just wanted to see if anyone thought I was crazy. Obviously not suggesting he should be a starter for anyone (especially not a team like Green Bay), but I was pleasantly surprised by how much progress he seems to have made.

Colts01
08-27-2010, 05:53 PM
Also, I have a few questions for the group:

(1) Since when is Peyton Manning called 'the sheriff?' This nickname seems about as forced and maybe self-christened as 'the black mamba.' If a quarterback in the league has sheriff-like name, it's Tom Brady.

(1a) Did anyone else get tired of seeing Peyton Manning shake his head as he tried to hurry up after the ball was set and the official couldn't run fast enough to get behind the back and get into position? And, I suppose, hearing the announcers talk about this? I know it's a preseason game and I know the Colts want to play at a certain pace, but I'm sorry if the rules weren't changed specifically to help you get to the Super Bowl, Peyton ::cough::illegalcontact::cough::

(2) Was anyone else as impressed with Graham Harrell in the 4th quarter as I was? I thought he looked abysmal against the Browns in the first pre-season game, but last night his throws were sharp (it looks like his arm strength might be getting to where it needs to be have some sort of NFL career), and he looked comfortable in the pocket. Turk's thoughts especially would be great, but I just wanted to see if anyone thought I was crazy. Obviously not suggesting he should be a starter for anyone (especially not a team like Green Bay), but I was pleasantly surprised by how much progress he seems to have made.
1.-No one here calls him that,its Peyton
1(a)-We get it,You dont like him
2.Yes he looked good ,even Derek Anderson would have looked good against the grocery bagger D,as long as he didnt have to throw a slant

Andy Freeland
08-27-2010, 06:10 PM
1. I've never heard anyone outside of the Monday Night Football booth call him 'the sheriff'. I agree, it's contrived.

1a. He was obviously annoyed, but I don't understand why. The Colts run a no-huddle, not a hurry up. They rarely if ever snap the ball with time left on the play clock. I think it was more about the routine than the actual time lost.

2. I was always impressed with Harrell's accuracy at Texas Tech, he could fit the ball into a very small window. But I don't see him ever being more than a backup.

mkocs6
08-27-2010, 06:10 PM
1.-No one here calls him that,its Peyton
1(a)-We get it,You dont like him
2.Yes he looked good ,even Derek Anderson would have looked good against the grocery bagger D,as long as he didnt have to throw a slant

Colts, I was legitimately curious about the nickname, and I apologize because I really do hold a grudge against Indianapolis for completely lying down after they wrap up their playoff spot. It cost the Browns a playoff spot one time, and honestly, I should probably let it go, but I won't.

I agree that Harrell wasn't playing against the greatest competition, but for a guy with a lot of questions about arm strength and velocity (something no one ever questions with Derek Anderson), I thought it was a fairly impressive performance out of Harrell. Also, he did throw a slant early in the drive, looked like it may have been a read, and the ball arrived at exactly the right moment and with some speed behind it, so that's when I sat up and started paying attention. He looked off the Indianapolis defense great on the screen play in red zone, and I thought it showed marked improvement from what I saw out of him two weeks ago against the Browns' soon-to-be-unemployed. He also wasn't dancing in the pocket the way he's always done, even in college, so he just looked more comfortable with the speed of the game and in the space within the pocket. Again, I'm not saying he's got a hall of fame career ahead of him, but I thought he might have been on his way out and now I think he should stick around a little longer.

Colts01
08-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Colts, I was legitimately curious about the nickname, and I apologize because I really do hold a grudge against Indianapolis for completely lying down after they wrap up their playoff spot. It cost the Browns a playoff spot one time, and honestly, I should probably let it go, but I won't.

I agree that Harrell wasn't playing against the greatest competition, but for a guy with a lot of questions about arm strength and velocity (something no one ever questions with Derek Anderson), I thought it was a fairly impressive performance out of Harrell. Also, he did throw a slant early in the drive, looked like it may have been a read, and the ball arrived at exactly the right moment and with some speed behind, so that's when I sat up and started paying attention. He looked off the Indianapolis defense great on the screen play in red zone, and I thought it showed marked improvement from what I saw out of him two weeks ago against the Browns' soon-to-be-unemployed. He also wasn't dancing in the pocket the way he's always done, even in college, so he just looked more comfortable with the speed of the game and in the space within the pocket. Again, I'm not saying he's got a hall of fame career ahead of him, but I thought he might have been on his way out and now I think he should stick around a little longer.

I understand where your coming from,I didnt mean my reply to sound smart a**.There was no malice intended.As far as the slant that was meant for Anderson.No one is a fan of the Colts lying down the last couple games a year as they have done but that is something that doesnt come from any of the players.And I think not trying to win the Jet game last year carried over to the super bowl.

mkocs6
08-27-2010, 06:36 PM
2. I was always impressed with Harrell's accuracy at Texas Tech, he could fit the ball into a very small window. But I don't see him ever being more than a backup.

His accuracy was obviously great in college, I think his lifetime completion percentage was north of 70%. I will say, though, under Leach, Tech hardly ran a pro-style offense, and so even for his chances of catching on as the #2 or #3 somewhere, his ability to hit those NFL throws, dropping back as well as out of the gun, is a big deal.

mkocs6
08-27-2010, 06:41 PM
I understand where your coming from,I didnt mean my reply to sound smart a**.There was no malice intended.As far as the slant that was meant for Anderson.No one is a fan of the Colts lying down the last couple games a year as they have done but that is something that doesnt come from any of the players.And I think not trying to win the Jet game last year carried over to the super bowl.

And no worries, friend. Just wanted to clear the air, because I realize I did kind of go after Peyton. Honestly, I don't think he's a bad guy, of course I realize that the coaching staff is in control of those sorts of decisions. It's just frustrating as a fan to watch a team with such ability concede games late in the season, especially when you could make a compelling argument it doesn't help them too much in the playoffs based on the outcome of most of the Colts' seasons. It's their prerogative, but I don't have to like it or root for it.

Although, it will be kind of funny to watch ESPN try to promote their new 'sheriff' nickname if they choose to, and I think they will. You think the MNF guys would try to create a nickname for the biggest star in pro football without the blessing of the Bristol brass?

brauneyz
08-27-2010, 07:24 PM
I've heard Peyton referred to as a field general, but never a sheriff, and yes, he looked extremely annoyed by the disruption of his routine with the new placement of the ump. PM is ticked, but if anyone can adjust, it will be him. Really though, did you ever think you would see him called for an illegal snap? Dude never makes mistakes. (Except for the occasional pick, or throwing his line under the bus when he discusses 'protection issues'. /eyeroll/

SpartaChris
08-27-2010, 10:29 PM

I too hate it when teams lay down, but due respect, The Browns cost the Browns a playoff spot. That's the risk you take when you leave your fate in someone else's hands. You want to make the playoffs? Win more games and put yourself in the playoffs. Don't count on another team to help you in, because you might not get it.

SpartaChris
08-27-2010, 10:39 PM
Here's my big gripe about the game last night, and it really has nothing to do with the game itself:

ESPN and their love affair with Brett Favre.

Seriously, can't they talk about the Packers without saying the F word? I mean, they do realize Brett Favre no longer plays for the Packers, right? He's three years removed from Green Bay, yet all night long it was Favre, Favre, Favre, Favre.. Seriously, HE'S NOT ON THE TEAM A--HOLES, GIVE IT A REST ALREADY! It's old, and we have plenty of other players on the team more than deserving of coverage.

Here's hoping the media stops with bringing the F word into every friggin Packers broadcast. Talk about the guys who are here, not the ones who weaseled their way out.

bluestree
08-27-2010, 10:42 PM
Andy; Is Harrell's arm strength the reason you don't see him as a starter ever? I thought last night he showed accuracy and touch, and his footwork looked good. Or am I just not accounting for the slappy factor?

PS I think "the Sheriff" is Gruden's catchphrase.

mkocs6
08-27-2010, 10:49 PM
I too hate it when teams lay down, but due respect, The Browns cost the Browns a playoff spot. That's the risk you take when you leave your fate in someone else's hands. You want to make the playoffs? Win more games and put yourself in the playoffs. Don't count on another team to help you in, because you might not get it.

I hear you, and I can remember at least three games the Browns should have won that season (@ Oakland, @ Arizona, @ Cincinnati) and didn't. I'm just saying it's frustrating because some teams have to play sixteen contested games and others don't. I'm not griping about fairness or anything like that, but that doesn't mean I have to support it or like it. Additionally, I don't think you can make a good argument to say that it works particularly well. I just remember the game very well: the Colts' starters played long enough to set a few meaningless records, and then their back-ups played the rest of the way. Furthermore, Dungy treated the game like it was pre-season, practicing a jailbreak screen on 3rd and 11ish with about two minutes go in the game, in their territory, and trailing the Titans.

Like I said, a lot of this is my fault for holding a grudge, but I'm not a believer in resting your starters in general, either.

SpartaChris
08-27-2010, 10:54 PM
I agree I hate when teams dump the last couple of games of the season, but the thing is, resting your starters is a valid strategy. Why risk your best players to season ending injury in a game where you have nothing to gain by playing? The risk far outweighs the reward, especially when there isn't any.

Andy Freeland
08-27-2010, 11:00 PM
He has dramatically improved his arm strength and footwork, but both are still below par. He looked ok in the preseason against a team that couldn't care less if they win. If teams actually game planned against him he would have no shot. They would squeeze the middle of the field, knowing he couldn't throw an out or anything deep without floating it. He apparently is a gym/film rat that lives football, so might have a future as a Todd Collins-type coach on the field/good guy to have in the meeting room.

bluestree
08-27-2010, 11:05 PM
so might have a future as a Todd Collins-type coach on the field/good guy to have in the meeting room.

Is that what you want in a back up when you have a franchise quarterback? Or do you always want a guy with legitimate starter measurables?

mkocs6
08-28-2010, 01:38 PM
I agree I hate when teams dump the last couple of games of the season, but the thing is, resting your starters is a valid strategy. Why risk your best players to season ending injury in a game where you have nothing to gain by playing? The risk far outweighs the reward, especially when there isn't any.

I don't think it's a strategy that has served the Colts particularly well. How many times have they been bounced in their first playoff game? In the '05-'06 season against the Steelers, '07-'08 against the Chargers, '08-'09 against the Chargers. Especially when you have a first round bye, I'm not sure it's a good strategy to have players who have not competed at NFL game-speed for two weeks to a month. I understand there is the risk of injury--Welker last year for New England, for instance; but I'm not sure turning it off doesn't keep you from turning it back on until it is too late most of the time.

SpartaChris
08-28-2010, 02:05 PM
I don't think it's a strategy that has served the Colts particularly well. How many times have they been bounced in their first playoff game? In the '05-'06 season against the Steelers, '07-'08 against the Chargers, '08-'09 against the Chargers. Especially when you have a first round bye, I'm not sure it's a good strategy to have players who have not competed at NFL game-speed for two weeks to a month. I understand there is the risk of injury--Welker last year for New England, for instance; but I'm not sure turning it off doesn't keep you from turning it back on until it is too late most of the time.

Well, it worked for them when they won the Super Bowl in '06-'07 and it worked for them last year when they got to the Super Bowl so I don't think there's really any direct correlation that can be made. Besides, the Saints sat starters last year late in the season too, and look what happened.