PDA

View Full Version : Is Drew Brees a HOFer?

jeffwaytowich
07-02-2010, 03:54 PM
Now that he has a ring, I'd vote yes. He has all the numbers and you can't deny the impact has had on the Saints franchise.

Thoughts?

Cris Collinsworth
07-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Very, very close, but not there yet. He is a late bloomer like Kurt Warner or Steve Young. Anything short of a career ending injury this year should put him over the top if he has even an average year for him. But what do I know, that HOF stuff is like watching them pick the Pope. I just wait for the right color smoke to come out of the chimney.

Stormbringer
07-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Hell yeah! Not many quarterbacks have been great at two seperate clubs, and I know his SD time was short, but he definitley will be.

Chilly
07-03-2010, 01:10 AM
CC is right about the murky waters of forecasting HOFdom, but Brees isn't there yet. A couple more good seasons and I think he will be, just in the same way that Warner shoved his ballot down the throats of his decriers the past two seasons. I love Brees, especially what he has done with the struggling community in the wake of Hurricane Katrina [and now the oil spill], and I hope with all my heart he continues to succeed. But if we are looking at his resume right now, strictly in terms of football, he isn't there yet.

DannyMilk
07-03-2010, 01:13 AM
I forget what show (I believe on NFL network) they compared Favre's recent off-seasons to the Pope as well haha...I completely agree with everyone, not quite there, although I think everyone would be happy to see him get in there. 2 more ProBowl Seasons or 1 more ring to me and he gets in...maybe not a first ballot guy, but within the first few years of eligibility.

Sandman
07-04-2010, 02:48 PM
Every eligible quarterback with 200 touchdowns and a ring is in the Hall of Fame so I will say yes. Will be no doubt by the time he's ready to retire.

robthemany
07-04-2010, 03:06 PM
No way not yet at least. By the end he will be. That is if he can avoid any major injuries and put up the same numbers as consistantly as he has.

bluestree
07-04-2010, 03:36 PM
When I first saw Brees at Purdue I thought NFL ready QB, and couldn't believe the Charger's let him go. He's exceeded lexpectations in Nawlins' so definately the HOF for Drew, and couldn't happen to a better guy.

kotar44
07-04-2010, 04:57 PM
I don't mean to rain on any parades,, but can someone explain to me the fascination with who is or isn't a HOF'er? I have never been convinced that there is a legit reason for me to care about what some random group of people think about the career of a player they may have seen play a handful of times. If I'm a Saint fan, I'm thankful for last season, and I don't really care if I can see his bust in a museum 20 years from now.

bluestree
07-04-2010, 05:15 PM
I don't mean to rain on any parades,, but can someone explain to me the fascination with who is or isn't a HOF'er? I have never been convinced that there is a legit reason for me to care about what some random group of people think about the career of a player they may have seen play a handful of times. If I'm a Saint fan, I'm thankful for last season, and I don't really care if I can see his bust in a museum 20 years from now.
The best way I can explain it is that it isn't about stats, although that's a big part of it, and it isn't just nostalgia, although that's part of it. It is really about the honor that is bestowed on the player by his peers. Only a few percent of college players make the pro's and fewer still make the Hall. To be honored in that way is overwhelming to these guys, they're walking in the shoes of their heroes. It's the recognition for acheiving things over and above, and since we love the game as well, it matters to us. And for a lot of us, it matters because it mattered to our fathers and grandfathers as well. To really appreciate it you should try to visit the Hall.

BoJack34
07-04-2010, 07:43 PM
If he retired today I don't think he'd make it to the HOF. His numbers do stack up very favorably with other HOF QB's but alot of them are from a different era with less games and less (and less effective) passing.

Right now he's at 30k yards, 200 TD's and 1 ring. If he puts up 3 more average (for him) seasons, he's pretty much a lock. Another ring along with those 3 average seasons and he's first ballot.

I think he's going to play at a high level for 6 more seasons or so and end up a first ballot HOFer.

stockman311
07-05-2010, 05:38 PM
IF he never throws another pass, he's in. No doubt.