PDA

View Full Version : Irsay cuts the "s" out of Indianapoli

Colts01
03-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Dallas Clark,Joseph Addai, Melvin Bullitt, Gary Brackett and everyones favorite Curtis "freaking" Painter were cut today.Dwight Freeney is on the trading block and it looks safe to say Wayne won't be back.The total purge of all things Peyton keeps going.
It's a hell of a garage sale at Crazy Jimmy's.

darvon
03-09-2012, 06:29 PM
You should be...what about $50M under the cap by the time 2012 ends?

iwatt
03-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Good move. Buiild from the ground up, make moves to solidify the lines. Wouldn't be suprised for the Colts to be big players in the Mario Williams sweepstakes. If somebody knows what a terror that man can be, it's the franchise he's been aimed at for the last 6 years. Very few times is an elite pass rusher at 27 years old up for grabs.

SpartaChris
03-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Good move. Buiild from the ground up, make moves to solidify the lines. Wouldn't be suprised for the Colts to be big players in the Mario Williams sweepstakes. If somebody knows what a terror that man can be, it's the franchise he's been aimed at for the last 6 years. Very few times is an elite pass rusher at 27 years old up for grabs.

^This. The Colts saw first hand last season that they needed a complete overhaul of that roster. Time to start building now so you can make a serious run in 3 years.

darvon
03-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Well, it will be interesting to see IF they can build a good team again. Give them 3 years and see if they are back in the playoffs 60% of the time (which is my definition of a GOOD team).

msclemons
03-09-2012, 09:53 PM
That's a heck of a thought Iwatt. The Colts can afford Mario now and he's young enough to be a HUGE building block going forward.

darvon
03-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Definitions

Good Team (40% Playoffs, 2 of last 5 years, at least 1 playoff wins) i.e. Vikings
Mediocre Team (20% Playoffs, 1 of 5 years) i.e. Chicago
Poor Team ( <20% Playoffs) i.e. St Louis
Very Good Team (60% Playoffs, 3 of 5 years) i.e. Atlanta
Great Team (80% Playoffs and 4 playoff wins in last 5 years)

iwatt
03-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Well, it will be interesting to see IF they can build a good team again. Give them 3 years and see if they are back in the playoffs 60% of the time (which is my definition of a GOOD team).

Its going to reduce the pressure of competing with luck straight out.

darvon
03-09-2012, 09:55 PM
I have no confidence in Indy being any good at building a team. Let's see something first. Won't these cuts cause some 2012 cap hits?

Nancy
03-09-2012, 10:13 PM
Dallas Clark,Joseph Addai, Melvin Bullitt, Gary Brackett and everyones favorite Curtis "freaking" Painter were cut today.Dwight Freeney is on the trading block and it looks safe to say Wayne won't be back.The total purge of all things Peyton keeps going.
It's a hell of a garage sale at Crazy Jimmy's.

This is painful. I mean, not the Curtis Painter part, but the rest of it. I hate, hate, hate being emotionally attached to a team, and it doesn't happen that often. Dick Wagner ripped my heart out when he took apart the Big Red Machine; the Brown family let what seemed like half of the Bengals Superbowl XVI team sign with the USFL...now the destruction of the Peyton Manning edition of the Colts is nearly complete....I feel like that old Spanky & Our Gang song, "Sundays Will Never Be the Same." I am not ready to be rational about this. I'd curl up in the fetal position except that it's hard to drink that way ;) ;)

darvon
03-09-2012, 10:22 PM
Shall I point out my experience from a Detroit POV.

Just because you can run the bulldozer and knock down the old house, doesn't mean you can actually BUILD a house to replace it. Name me a team that gutted itself and then rebuilt to GOOD level with the same front office personel.

Usually you gut the team with someone and then you discover that GM CANT rebuild. Then you limp around trying to find a GM that can build from the pile of rubble left from the last guy.

Name me some teams that tore down an AGING good team and then built a new one back.

Green Bay comes to mind, but they never really gutted GB. They replaced key parts at different times. Doing the playoffs at about a 50% clip for about 10 years. and when did TT replace RW?

Dallas after the triplets comes to mind, but I don't know if the Indy GM is Parcells. And Dallas is barely up to my GOOD category

There ARENT many teams that build a GOOD team from zippo.

darvon
03-09-2012, 10:24 PM
A good 3 year plan usually takes about 15-20 years.

GoBigOrGoHome
03-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Green Bay comes to mind, but they never really gutted GB. They replaced key parts at different times. Doing the playoffs at about a 50% clip for about 10 years. and when did TT replace RW?

TT did not replace Wolf. He replaced Mike Sherman.

wxwax
03-09-2012, 10:53 PM
I have no confidence in Indy being any good at building a team.

How could you possibly have any basis for making that judgment?

It's a new GM and a new head coach. About the only constant is the owner, who has been hands off in the past. He let his last GM do a pretty freaking good job of building a team, IIRC.

You can't possibly have a feel for these guys until they've been in action for a year or two.

wxwax
03-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Just because you can run the bulldozer and knock down the old house, doesn't mean you can actually BUILD a house to replace it. Name me a team that gutted itself and then rebuilt to GOOD level with the same front office personel.

Good things the Colts changed their front office personnel.

wxwax
03-09-2012, 11:00 PM
There ARENT many teams that build a GOOD team from zippo.

Worst-to-first is not uncommon in the NFL these days.

I agree with what I think is your opinion, that progressive change is better than sledgehammer change. Better to be a Walsh and change parts as they age rather than tear the whole edifice down.

That said, this was coming regardless of whether or not Polian stayed. Last season proved that.

As you say, the Colts did the right thing by cleaning out the entire house, front office and all.

Andy Freeland
03-09-2012, 11:35 PM
I officially have no idea what the Colts are doing. I realize that they had a terrible year, but before that they won 10+ game 9 straight years. There is no one (not named Irsay) left from that incredible run. Front office, coaches, team leaders - all gone. They aren't much more than an expansion team.

GoBigOrGoHome
03-09-2012, 11:36 PM
Apologies to you Colts fans. I have the self-control of a 3-year-old when it comes to **** like this. :D

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w489/GoBig2011/142735_melt.jpg

wxwax
03-09-2012, 11:38 PM
I officially have no idea what the Colts are doing. I realize that they had a terrible year, but before that they won 10+ game 9 straight years. There is no one (not named Irsay) left from that incredible run. Front office, coaches, team leaders - all gone. They aren't much more than an expansion team.

I think it's fair to ask how many leaders a 2-14 team actually has?

brauneyz
03-10-2012, 12:40 AM
Helluva firesale there in Indy. Is it too early to make my AFCS prediction for '12? Houston Texans in a landslide, regardless of where Manning may end up.

Andy Freeland
03-10-2012, 02:25 AM
I think it's fair to ask how many leaders a 2-14 team actually has?

There is no one (not named Irsay) left from that incredible run. Front office, coaches, team leaders - all gone.

I was referring to the team leaders from the run of 9 straight 10+ win years, Manning, Wayne, Clark, etc. Freeney and Mathis are still around, but sounds like Freeney is on the way out too.

darvon
03-10-2012, 08:20 AM
How could you possibly have any basis for making that judgment?

It's a new GM and a new head coach. About the only constant is the owner, who has been hands off in the past. He let his last GM do a pretty freaking good job of building a team, IIRC.

You can't possibly have a feel for these guys until they've been in action for a year or two.

Exactly. I have no confidence that they can build a GOOD+ team is NOT I have confidence they can't.
Making a GOOD+ team is REALLY hard. Worst to first is not the same as GOOD+ team. It just means that health and schedule can swing a GOOD+ team back and forth for a year.

When Polian built Indy, he had a track record. This crew doesn't and are starting from scratch. The best player on the Colts now (assuming Freeney is out) is????

iwatt
03-10-2012, 09:34 AM
Exactly. I have no confidence that they can build a GOOD+ team is NOT I have confidence they can't.
Making a GOOD+ team is REALLY hard. Worst to first is not the same as GOOD+ team. It just means that health and schedule can swing a GOOD+ team back and forth for a year.

When Polian built Indy, he had a track record. This crew doesn't and are starting from scratch. The best player on the Colts now (assuming Freeney is out) is????

Costanzo, the new LT. And whoemver they draft at #1

buzmeg
03-10-2012, 10:39 AM

Next month ???? will be Andrew Luck.