PDA

View Full Version : D Day is upon us!

Bengals1181
04-25-2012, 01:31 PM
Tomorrow's the draft. I know many of you out there have been tinkering with mock drafts for your team.

Here's mine. What's yours?

Round 1. CB Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama

Wavered on this briefly, but there’s too many signs that they want to go corner in the first round. I think Coples, Floyd, Gilmore or DeCastro could be the pick if they fall to this spot, but in the end I think it will be Kirkpatrick.

Round 1. WR Rueben Randle, LSU

IMO the #3 WR in the draft and a very good complement to AJ Green. It’s pretty clear they want another deep threat and also someone who can keep double teams off of Green. Randle can do both, and with Simpson now in Minnesota they probably can’t gamble too much with taking a WR later and relying on Binns and Simpson to get them by until a rookie is ready. They need to take a guy who can come in and play right away. Randle is a solid route runner, has deep threat speed, and can win jump balls. And he runs like a deer. I do think they will try to trade down a few spots before grabbing him.

Round 2. DE Jared Crick, Nebraska

Prior to being injured early in 2011, Crick was a borderline first rounder. Some may think this is slightly high for him, but he’s a great fit for the Bengals system. He was primarily a DT in college, but also offers you some pass rush. He doesn’t have the weight to stay at DT in the pros, but can fill a DE/DT tweener role. Has enough of a speed/power combo to challenge OT’s on the outside, and get push on guards in the middle. Relentless motor, which Marvin has cited as a must for his dlinemen.

Round 3. RB Isaiah Pead, Cincinnati

Make no mistake about it, longterm Pead needs to add bulk to his frame, particularly in his lower body if he wants to be a complete back in the NFL. In the meantime, he can have a limited role on offense while also contributing on special teams during his rookie year. He's a dual threat back if he can get his weight up (also needs to improve as a blocker). Have to be weary of Pittsburgh, who really likes him, trading up.

Round 4. OL Ryan Miller, Colorado

A versatile OL who has a good deal of experience at both RG and RT. Can come in and compete for the RG job while also being able to provide depth on the OL. Mammoth size at 6’7” 321 and could probably add another 10lbs.

Round 5. TE Brian Linthicum, Michigan State

A solid pass catching TE that needs to improve his strength to become a better blocker. A guy who likely can stick on the Practice Squad for a year and eventually replace Donald Lee on the roster.

Round 5. S Philip Thomas, Syracuse

A safety prospect that would probably go higher but was kicked off of the Syracuse team for breaking athletic department rules (haven’t seen what). I don’t know if there’s room on the team for another safety, but he could pay his dues on the practice squad for a year and prove he’s not a troublemaker.

Round 5. DE/DT Trevor Guyton, California

Reminds me of Clinton McDonald as a big man with good agility and quickness. Played mostly DE at Cal, but is likely a 4-3 DT at the next level IMO. I don’t know that the team will keep a 4th DT this year, but if they don’t he could be groomed ala McDonald on the practice squad and eventually be a backup to Geno Atkins.

Round 6. CB Conroy Black, UTEP

Don’t know a lot about the guy but he has good size (6’ 182lbs), and if he’d been invited to the combine he’d had been in the top 10 in both 40time (3rd) and 3-cone drill (6th) for cornerbacks.

msclemons
04-25-2012, 02:24 PM
49ers
1) Kevin Zeitler, OT
2) Derek Wolfe, DT
3) Marv Jones, WR

I never go past round 3. It's just monkeys throwing poo at the wall by that point.

Docta
04-25-2012, 02:44 PM
Here's what I'd like for the Bears, but highly doubt it happening..

1. Riley Reiff, OT/G
2. Vinny Curry, DE
3. Dwight Bentley, CB
4. Billy Winn, DT
5. Markelle Martin, S
6. Jordan White, WR
7. Dale Moss, WR

Bengals1181
04-25-2012, 02:52 PM
I think Reiff is a very real possibility for the Bears. IMO he'll be there at least. Not sure if Curry will.

tubbs1518
04-25-2012, 03:30 PM
I don't like Randle or Crick. Really like Pead, Thomas and Guyton.

mikesteelnation1
04-25-2012, 03:43 PM
I agree with clem about just the 1st 3 rounds.

In a perfect world here's what id love to happen for the steelers.

1st- dontari poe, nt
2nd- amini silatolu, og
3rd- mychal kendricks, ilb

I don't think poe will be there. I suspect someone in the top half of the round loves him. I also don't expect silatolu to be there at the bottom half of rd 2. I've read quite a lot about him creeping into the bottom of rd 1.

I'm also pretty sure we will take a rb, a wr, and a qb. With the qb coming in the late 6th or 7th. Charlie batch isn't getting any younger!

Docta
04-25-2012, 04:00 PM

1st- dontari poe, nt
2nd- amini silatolu, og

I don't think poe will be there. I suspect someone in the top half of the round loves him. I also don't expect silatolu to be there at the bottom half of rd 2. I've read quite a lot about him creeping into the bottom of rd 1.

I'm also pretty sure we will take a rb, a wr, and a qb. With the qb coming in the late 6th or 7th. Charlie batch isn't getting any younger!
I don't see any of those picks happening. I think they'll all be picked earlier. You'll probably end up with Silatolu in the first anyway.

GoBigOrGoHome
04-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Lions:

1st - Stephon Gilmore CB South Carolina
2nd - Chandler Jones DE Syracuse
3rd - Mike Martin, DT Michigan
4th - Brandon Brooks G , Miami (Ohio)
5th - Robert Turbin RB Utah State
6th - Forfeited pick
7th - Blair Walsh K Georgia

Bengals1181
04-25-2012, 04:20 PM
Lions:

1st - Stephon Gilmore CB South Carolina
2nd - Chandler Jones DE Syracuse
3rd - Mike Martin, DT Michigan
4th - Brandon Brooks G , Miami (Ohio)
5th - Robert Turbin RB Utah State
6th - Forfeited pick
7th - Blair Walsh K Georgia

man, I hope you're doing some voodoo magic to make those first two picks happen!

Trumpetbdw
04-25-2012, 04:45 PM

1st- dontari poe, nt
2nd- amini silatolu, og

My best guess is not my preference. If Poe is available, he's their first choice. If Cordy Glenn falls, he's their 2nd. I don't think either get to the Steelers. Three rounds is even a crap shoot, but I'll go 4 for fun.

1st- Dont'a Hightower
2nd- Alameda Ta'amu (Brooks if Poe goes to them in round 1)
3rd- (Can I hedge?) LaMichael James (Allen, Brooks, or Osamele make more sense if they fall to round 3, but this is a hunch call that they give the offense a new toy)
4th- Marvin McNutt

wxwax
04-25-2012, 05:44 PM
Poe? That man has bust written all over him in bold face type. I'm astonished everyone is so high on him.

Bengals1181
04-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Poe? That man has bust written all over him in bold face type. I'm astonished everyone is so high on him.

agreed.

Trumpetbdw
04-25-2012, 06:42 PM

I'm not sure that he has bust written all over him as much as many people like to go the other way when it comes to guys who do very well in the combine. He was a legit 1st round pick before the combine, so while maybe he shouldn't have shot up like he did, he's still a legit 1st round talent. In the right situation, he will be an impact player. He and Pittsburgh would be a match made in heaven. Now if he ends up in a dysfunctional situation, all bets are off. Many players, especially on the DL, become busts in those types of situations. But if Poe ends up in any number of places, I think he'll be a big success.

GoBigOrGoHome
04-25-2012, 06:47 PM
My read on Poe:

Right team (Pitt, GB, MIN, Carolina, KC, CHI) = huge upside

Wrong team (WAS, DAL, SD, NO) = results that could be positively Haynesworthian

wxwax
04-25-2012, 06:54 PM
Some things you can coach. Some things you can't.

I defer to our pros on the subject, but it's my feeling that you can't coach desire. A player either loves to play and plays hard, or he doesn't. This belief is one of the foundations of New England's draft philosophy.

A while ago we enjoyed a couple of research papers, one on the Wonderlic and one on predictors of success in the NFL. The second paper asserted that the best predictor of success in the NFL is a successful career in college.

Poe, with all of his physical gifts, was not a dominant player in college despite playing in a thoroughly mediocre conference. Therefore, it seems to me that the odds of him being a top pro -- the level of play you expect from a #1 draft pick -- are low.

Bengals1181
04-25-2012, 06:59 PM
I'm not sure that he has bust written all over him as much as many people like to go the other way when it comes to guys who do very well in the combine. He was a legit 1st round pick before the combine, so while maybe he shouldn't have shot up like he did, he's still a legit 1st round talent. In the right situation, he will be an impact player. He and Pittsburgh would be a match made in heaven. Now if he ends up in a dysfunctional situation, all bets are off. Many players, especially on the DL, become busts in those types of situations. But if Poe ends up in any number of places, I think he'll be a big success.

I'd LOVE to see the site or expert who had Poe as a first round pick pre-combine.

Andy Freeland
04-25-2012, 07:09 PM
I agree with biggie that he is a 1st round pick only for the right team. The right team in his case is one that is running a 3-4 (I don't see him as anything but a pure 3-4 NT) and has a strong locker room. He has to be surrounded by strong-willed veterans that police their own locker room. The Steelers are the best fit.

Trumpetbdw
04-25-2012, 08:34 PM
I'd LOVE to see the site or expert who had Poe as a first round pick pre-combine.

I could pass along the communication Mike and I had following the Broncos loss stating that he was our #1 choice, and that the Steelers were rumored to be in love with him. Also, Mel Kiper's first mock draft (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7467078/mel-kiper-first-mock-draft-year), on January 18, had the Steelers taking Poe in round 1.

Bengals1181
04-25-2012, 10:14 PM
I could pass along the communication Mike and I had following the Broncos loss stating that he was our #1 choice, and that the Steelers were rumored to be in love with him. Also, Mel Kiper's first mock draft (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7467078/mel-kiper-first-mock-draft-year), on January 18, had the Steelers taking Poe in round 1.

I don't have insider, but will trust you on kiper. I'm not really high on kipers opinion though. Heck, he still has Burfict as his #4 ILB.