PDA

View Full Version : Biggest surprise so far

Andy Freeland
04-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Last week PFT had a note about WR A.J. Jenkins visiting the Rams. I found this interesting since I knew absolutely nothing about Jenkins, so I watched some tape on him. I really liked him. Fast (4.39), productive (90 catches), good hands, tough, not a big guy at 6-0, 180, but big enough. I thought someone would be getting an absolute steal in the 3rd round. I read today that he was surprised to go in the 1st round, not usually a good sign. Players (like the rest of us) have an inflated sense of their own value, when you draft a guy higher than he thinks he'll go, you drafted him too high.

I do think he was taken too high, but I like this pick more than most. He'll be a good player.

Was A.J. the biggest surprise of the 1st round?

packa7x
04-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Definitely, just because there was that "who??" factor for a lot of us. It reminded me of Tyson Alu-Alu or John McCargo.

Bengals1181
04-27-2012, 11:17 AM
Jenkins was surprising, but not too terribly. He was probably early/mid 2nd rounder.

Bruce Irvin by far for me.

I also think Barron went far too high.

Trumpetbdw
04-27-2012, 11:23 AM
I thought Bruce Irvin was a bigger surprise, except that Pete Carrol always seems to have a different draft board than most.

I could see Jenkins as early as mid 2nd round. I like him a lot, and mentioned him post mock draft (version 1) as one of 3 Big Ten receivers who would be mid-late round steals (he, Martin from MSU, and McNutt from Iowa). Didn't expect him to go 1st round, and don't think he should have gone ahead of Jeffery or Hill, but I do like his potential. Very good player who was in a really rough situation in Illinois.

Illinois with 2 first rounders. Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Oregon, Auburn, and Georgia all combined for 0.

Polishguy00
04-27-2012, 11:29 AM
I'd go with Irvin. I was trying to get Hack to bite on Jenkins between the 35-50 pick in our mock. He did not buy it. He had nice production in the Big Ten and was consistently the best receiver on the field on many days. Don't totally like the value of the spot, but I think he will be a decent pro.

bluestree
04-27-2012, 11:43 AM
From what I've read this morning, Irvin was a surprise only to the tv talking heads. Quite a few teams had him as top 15, projecting him as a highly effective situational pass rusher, like the kid the Niners took last year. It was the biggest surprise pick overall, but after that i would put the Bears taking Shea McClellin. Not that it's a bad pick, but with Reiff and DeCastro and Glenn and Zeitler and Konz all still on the board? Most of the mocks had him going to the Packers. Hmm... reminds me of when Tampa Bay took Warrick Dunn. They had a runningback, Rhett, but knew Green Bay coveted Dunn.

ScottDCP
04-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Biggest surprise for me, after Cris telling someone how to find the chat room, was New England trading up twice.

NickMykita
04-27-2012, 02:23 PM
Is anyone else bothered by Morris Claiborne saying that he blew off the Wonderlic test? If I were the Cowboys, I'd be a little concerned about his level of commitment. And not just on the field, mind you. What happens if they say, "Morris, we need you to do some community service with the team," and he says, "Nah man, I came here to play football." There may not be cause for alarm, but I'd be a little worried.

FrzzerBwler
04-27-2012, 02:56 PM
I can see your point @ Claiborne blowing off the test, but also wonder if maybe it emboldens a player next year to try Dan Patick's idea of just refusing to take it.

ScottDCP
04-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Not bothered at all. I did something similar on a Latin test in 8th grade. Downside for me was the drug counseling I was threatened with. Though I'm told that was the doodling. Taught me to express indifference in other ways.

He probably would not have been in college without football, and it is likely not a surprise. His attitude is probably ideal for a CB. And if he turns into a problem, he;'s Jerry's problem. I won't lose sleep over that one.

SpartaChris
04-27-2012, 07:46 PM
My biggest surprise so far was the number of trades in the first round. Only two of the first 9 picks drafted in their original spot, and New England trading up not once, but twice, really took me by surprise.

GoBigOrGoHome
04-27-2012, 08:13 PM
Illinois with 2 first rounders. Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Oregon, Auburn, and Georgia all combined for 0.

Add Nebraska, *Tennessee* and Miami to that list.

15 years ago that list could easily have comprised the AP's post season top 10 CFB teams.