PDA

View Full Version : So today I started researching the 2013 Draft

KabaModernFan
04-30-2012, 05:39 PM
And I think I might have an addiction problem. I hear the first step is admitting you have a problem, and this seemed like the most appropriate place to air my concerns.

Andy Freeland
04-30-2012, 06:01 PM
We want something on the record. Give me 2 players who will be in the top 5 next year, only 1 can be a QB.

KabaModernFan
04-30-2012, 06:09 PM
We want something on the record. Give me 2 players who will be in the top 5 next year, only 1 can be a QB.

Matt Barkley - QB - USC...and umm...I'll go with Jarvis Jones - OLB - Georgia.

wxwax
04-30-2012, 06:39 PM
There's already been talk about GA QB Aaron Murray. To me, he has a lot to prove this season. He was extremely inconsistent last year and he didn't play well under pressure. He may have the physical tools, but he's lucky GA had such a soft schedule last season.

KabaModernFan
04-30-2012, 07:29 PM
There's already been talk about GA QB Aaron Murray. To me, he has a lot to prove this season. He was extremely inconsistent last year and he didn't play well under pressure. He may have the physical tools, but he's lucky GA had such a soft schedule last season.

I like Murray. He and Tyler Bray (Tennessee) really intrigue me as juniors with pretty high upside. I have them both behind Landry Jones and Tyler Wilson, but they could easily rocket up with big seasons.

vancemeek
04-30-2012, 08:47 PM
What's the WR from USC's name? I recall people saying he would go high next season.

Bengals1181
04-30-2012, 09:01 PM
What's the WR from USC's name? I recall people saying he would go high next season.

Robert Woods.

KabaModernFan
04-30-2012, 09:27 PM
I like Woods and this draft class currently lacks a top wide receiver prospect. I also like Terrance Williams at Baylor, but need to see how he fares without RG3 throwing him the ball. My sleeper is Keenan Allen down at Cal-Berkeley.

Polishguy00
04-30-2012, 09:37 PM
I'll throw out Barkley with Sam Montgomery.

Polishguy00
04-30-2012, 09:42 PM
And Manti Te'o will be the first ILB prospect off the board but won't be picked until 15-20.

Docta
04-30-2012, 09:49 PM
Barkevious Mingo will be the best pass rusher in the draft. I like him better than Montgomery.

Already wins the award for best name.

DaBearsFan
04-30-2012, 10:06 PM
William Gholston, DE, Michigan State. Wait, Be A Homer day is over?

In all seriousness, if Gholston has as good a year as many of us Spartan fans think he will, I do think he can be a first rounder. Not top-5, but a first rounder. Having seen both, he's better than his cousin Vernon.

KabaModernFan
04-30-2012, 10:07 PM
LSU is going to be absolutely loaded with defensive prospects this year. Mingo, Montgomery, Mathieu, Kevin Minter, and maybe my favorite of them all Eric Reid. Still not as amazing as Bama's haul could've been last year, but damn impressive nonetheless.

wxwax
04-30-2012, 10:48 PM
One of the joys -- actually, the greatest joy -- of watching a Les Miles LSU team is seeing his defensive players in action. He gets them big and fast and physical. I remember a couple of seasons ago they played App State and the size difference -- especially in the defensive backfield -- was almost comical, and they sacrificed not one single iota of speed.

GoBigOrGoHome
04-30-2012, 10:55 PM
William Gholston, DE, Michigan State. Wait, Be A Homer day is over?

In all seriousness, if Gholston has as good a year as many of us Spartan fans think he will, I do think he can be a first rounder. Not top-5, but a first rounder. Having seen both, he's better than his cousin Vernon.

Much, much better.

wxwax
05-09-2012, 12:17 AM
Here's a mark in favor of Aaron Murray. On Saturday, he graduates. A degree in psychology. He did it in 3 1/2 years. Pretty impressive. He also has two seasons of eligibility left, although that won't come into play unless he gets injured.

KabaModernFan
05-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Here's a mark in favor of Aaron Murray. On Saturday, he graduates. A degree in psychology. He did it in 3 1/2 years. Pretty impressive. He also has two seasons of eligibility left, although that won't come into play unless he gets injured.

I think I stated it earlier in this thread somewhere, but yeah I'm very curious to see how Murray performs this year. He and Tyler Bray down at Tennessee are two underclassmen who I really think have the potential to completely shatter the glass ceiling this year and breakthrough big time. I have them both as second rounders right now, but if they live up to their potential they could easily be in the running for #2 QB off the board.

Bengals1181
05-09-2012, 05:13 PM
been a fan of Murray's for awhile. IMO he'll be a top 5 pick whenever he decides to come out.

wxwax
05-09-2012, 05:50 PM
been a fan of Murray's for awhile. IMO he'll be a top 5 pick whenever he decides to come out.

I know I'm repeating myself, but in my opinion Murray's play has been holding Georgia back. That's probably a little unfair to the guy. But he misses on so many plays, it's a head scratcher. He has a fine arm, but his accuracy is questionable and I really have issues with how he fails to raise his game when under pressure -- either direct pressure from a pass rush, or situational pressure, when his team really needs a play from him. I know college players can really change from one season to the next. I hope he's one of those guys who does.

Docta
05-09-2012, 06:15 PM
I know I'm repeating myself, but in my opinion Murray's play has been holding Georgia back. That's probably a little unfair to the guy. But he misses on so many plays, it's a head scratcher. He has a fine arm, but his accuracy is questionable and I really have issues with how he fails to raise his game when under pressure -- either direct pressure from a pass rush, or situational pressure, when his team really needs a play from him. I know college players can really change from one season to the next. I hope he's one of those guys who does.
Exactly what I see when watching him. Someone I'm interested in seeing is Tyler Wilson. Just lost his WR trio. He'll still have Hamilton, but then you add in the loss of Petrino, so I think he could be heading for a regression.

I still have him as my #2 QB though.

KabaModernFan
05-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Exactly what I see when watching him. Someone I'm interested in seeing is Tyler Wilson. Just lost his WR trio. He'll still have Hamilton, but then you add in the loss of Petrino, so I think he could be heading for a regression.

I still have him as my #2 QB though.

But he does get Knile Davis back though, and that will be a significant boost to the offense that will take some pressure off of Wilson. Davis will be another really intriguing guy to watch this year too just to see how he performs coming back from his injury.

Bengals1181
05-09-2012, 08:47 PM
But he does get Knile Davis back though, and that will be a significant boost to the offense that will take some pressure off of Wilson. Davis will be another really intriguing guy to watch this year too just to see how he performs coming back from his injury.

yep. Knile was one of my favorite backs in college. IMO had he not been injured, he would have been a first round RB this year.

wxwax
05-10-2012, 06:26 PM
I'm watching Tennessee play Kentucky. The Wildcats lead 17-9 at the half. Tennessee's QB is struggling a bit against a good defense, and his catchers have a bit of the dropsies. But there's something about this kid -- his poise, his mechanics, his ball flight -- that really catches the eye. He seems to be in full control of the offense. Interestingly, he has the lowest interception ration in the NCAA. I think he has a future.

GoBigOrGoHome
05-10-2012, 06:30 PM
I'm watching Tennessee play Kentucky. The Wildcats lead 17-9 at the half. Tennessee's QB is struggling a bit against a good defense, and his catchers have a bit of the dropsies. But there's something about this kid -- his poise, his mechanics, his ball flight -- that really catches the eye. He seems to be in full control of the offense. Interestingly, he has the lowest interception ration in the NCAA. I think he has a future.

Is that on SEC Network, wax?

wxwax
05-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Is that on SEC Network, wax?

No sir, it's on the local Sports South network. I hope it was evident I'm talking about Peyton Manning! He just threw a gorgeous bomb to cut the Kentucky lead to 3.

Docta
06-04-2012, 12:10 AM
http://www.matthewvisinsky.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/IMG_4224.jpg

Margus Hunt, DE. 6'8", 285 lbs. Can bench 225lbs. 35 times, and has a 36" vertical leap. Competes in track & field, and won the bronze in discus in the 2004 Summer Olympics. Please don't let the Packers get him.

tubbs1518
08-27-2012, 04:52 PM
Man I love looking at the draft. I've seen a lot of QB names thrown out but I really believe Logan Thomas from VT is gonna be a top 5 pick and battle Barkley for that #1 QB spot.

KabaModernFan
08-27-2012, 05:01 PM
Man I love looking at the draft. I've seen a lot of QB names thrown out but I really believe Logan Thomas from VT is gonna be a top 5 pick and battle Barkley for that #1 QB spot.

My problem with Logan Thomas is that he seems to spurted up overnight thanks to the success of Cam Newton, and with the assumption that teams are going to be looking for the next Newton. I'm not sure Thomas is that guy even though they share body type and playing style. But with a strong season similar to the one Newton had at Auburn, I could definitely see him being a Top 10 pick. I just need to see it on the field first. He's my #5 QB right now.

tubbs1518
08-27-2012, 05:04 PM
My problem with Logan Thomas is that he seems to spurted up overnight thanks to the success of Cam Newton, and with the assumption that teams are going to be looking for the next Newton. I'm not sure Thomas is that guy even though they share body type and playing style. But with a strong season similar to the one Newton had at Auburn, I could definitely see him being a Top 10 pick. I just need to see it on the field first. He's my #5 QB right now.

Oh I agree. If the draft was tomorrow then Thomas wouldn't be a top 10 pick. But I expect Thomas to have a big year, and with the recent success of Newton, and even though he is built different if RGIII has a big year, I think you will see more and more big, mobile QB's drafted early.

KabaModernFan
08-27-2012, 06:05 PM
Oh I agree. If the draft was tomorrow then Thomas wouldn't be a top 10 pick. But I expect Thomas to have a big year, and with the recent success of Newton, and even though he is built different if RGIII has a big year, I think you will see more and more big, mobile QB's drafted early.

Well I think the evidence of that is already there considering that we're even talking about Logan Thomas like this, and he only completed 59.8% of his passes last season while throwing 19 TDs and 10 INTs. Without Cam Newton, who has that kind of QB on their radar at all?

tubbs1518
08-27-2012, 06:13 PM
I agree. Throwing in the 500 rushing yards and 11 TDs does make it look better though.

KabaModernFan
08-27-2012, 06:20 PM
I agree. Throwing in the 500 rushing yards and 11 TDs does make it look better though.

True, but even then he only averaged 3.1 YPC. I know that includes sacks, but it is still a number that stands out.

tubbs1518
08-28-2012, 03:21 PM
I agree, it isn't a great number, but it's not one that I see hurting his stock any. Man the more I watch highlights and do some research the more I CAN'T WAIT for college football to kick off Thursday.

Docta
08-28-2012, 03:45 PM
Scouts Inc. Preseason Top 32
Player Pos. School Grade
1. Matt Barkley QB USC 94
2. Chance Warmack OG Alabama 94
3. David Amerson CB N. C. State 94
4. Barkevious Mingo DE LSU 94
5. Johnathan Jenkins DT Georgia 94
6. Star Lotulelei DT Utah 94
7. Justin Hunter WR Tennessee 93
8. Sylvester Williams DT N. Carolina 93
9. Manti Te'o ILB Notre Dame 93
10. Jonathan Cooper OG N. Carolina 92
11. Logan Thomas QB Va. Tech 92
12. Johnathan Hankins DT Ohio State 92
13. Marcus Lattimore RB S. Carolina 92
14. Sam Montgomery DE LSU 92
15. Jarvis Jones OLB Georgia 91
16. Corey Lemonier DE Auburn 91
17. Brennan Williams OT N. Carolina 91
18. Keenan Allen WR California 91
19. Kenny Vaccaro S Texas 90
20. Alec Ogletree ILB Georgia 90
21. Marquess Wilson WR Wash. St. 90
22. Desmond Trufant CB Washington 90
23. Shawn Williams S Georgia 89
24. Landry Jones QB Oklahoma 89
25. Brandon Jenkins OLB Fla. St. 89
26. William Gholston DE Mich. St. 89
27. Bennie Logan DT LSU 89
28. Dallas Thomas OT Tennessee 89
29. Kawann Short DT Purdue 88
30. Johnthan Banks CB Miss. St. 88
31. Luke Joeckyl OT Texas A&M 88
32. Robert Woods WR USC 88

Landry Jones shouldn't even be on the list, and Hunter has the most potential out of the WRs, but he shouldn't be that high right after an injury. Other than a few of their scouts, Scouts Inc. is a joke.

ScottDCP
08-28-2012, 05:34 PM
Robert Woods, huhu? well, if the Bills get him with the 32nd pick I won't mind terribly much.