PDA

View Full Version : Better New York Defense?

CraigTumminello
07-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Both the Jets and Giants have had good defenses the past few years but they seem to keep getting better. The Giants didn't add much but did take care of a big weakness at safety by getting Antrel Rolle and Deon Grant. I think the Giants have the best defensive line in the game but the Jets corners and linebackers are scary good.

Which defense would you take?

DannyMilk
07-02-2010, 07:38 PM
I'm taking the Jets on this one...I love how aggressive Rex Ryan has been with them thus far...although he isn't the same as his daddy Buddy was, here in Chicago we still talk about how aggressive and unrelenting that 85 Bears DEF was...If the Jets can make it work, and it all comes together, it's a beautiful thing!

Andy Freeland
07-02-2010, 07:48 PM
Giants are good, Jets are better. Giants have too many holes in their secondary, will give up their share of big plays. Both could very well be in the top 10 this year.

mattpett
07-02-2010, 11:51 PM
I'll take the Jets. The Jets were a great defense last year and they improved in the off-season. The addition of Cromartie allows the Jets to do more aggresive blitzes without leaving them weak in the secondary. Also, you can't overstate how much of an impact Revis has, opponents last year would rarely even attempt to throw the ball in his area.

Dave Lapham
07-03-2010, 12:22 AM
I will take the Jets as well. When Rex Ryan had it going in Baltimore his pressure packages killed QB's because he had shut down cover corners on the island that locked receivers up one on one. He has that again in New York so watch out. Timely recognition and communication of where Rex is bringing one more than you can block will be a must. The ball will have to be out of the QB's hand quickly, so someone will have to win a matchup at receiver when facing man to man coverage.

imiweli
07-03-2010, 12:32 AM
I'll take the Jets this year, its a real perfect storm for them right now
Though next year may be a different story, when new contracts are needed

KabaModernFan
07-03-2010, 01:54 AM
I'll take the Jets defense for sure, but I'd rather have the G-Men's offense. Anyway, not only is Rex a defensive genius, but he's got the superb talent to match. Revis, Jenkins, Scott, and the widely unheralded David Harris are all star-caliber players. Also, the Giants defense completely quit on their coordinator last season, so it's going to take me a while to be able to put my full trust in them again.

Chilly
07-03-2010, 02:22 AM
Much better question would be which team does better in its respectable division this season, as I don't think that anyone could make the argument that the Giants defense is better on paper. Obviously things can change during the year, but the Jets D was #1 last year and may have gotten better...don't see the argument.

However, I think the Pats/Dolphins will be tougher than the 'Boys/'Skins/Eagles, so I could easily see the Giants winning their division while the Jets may end up with a 2nd/3rd place finish.

DannyMilk
07-03-2010, 02:31 AM
I think the Eagles fall off quite a bit...Cowboys are always a mystery circus, but they will be in the mix...i think the "wildcard" this year would have to be the Redskins...any other year I'd write them off and laugh in their face, but this year Shanahan is there, along with McNabb...and while I actually despise McNabb, for many reasons, he has a pretty good track record for being on playoff teams with the Eagles...and Chilly, I think by November the Jets will be right up there with the AFC East, but they HAVE to go .500 or better with the tough schedule weeks 10-16...10-16 the Pats have an average schedule, but if the Dolphins are in first going into week 10, it seems as we look at it now that for the most part they have a CAKEWALK weeks 10-17

Chilly
07-03-2010, 02:43 AM
Totally agree, these could easily be the two most competitive divisions in football. Regardless of the speculation, we'll just have to wait and see. My predictions:
1. Patriots 2. Jets 3. Dolphins 4. Bills
1. Giants 2. Cowboys 3. Eagles 4. Redskins

DannyMilk
07-03-2010, 02:48 AM
Just for fun I'll throw mine out there...
1. Jets 2. Dolphins 3. Patriots 4. Bills
1. Cowboys 2. Giants 3. Redskins 4. Eagles

Can't wait to look like a complete fool for this come December hahaha