PDA

View Full Version : Regular season Week 1 Final- Patriots 38 Bengals 24- 9/12/10

Colts01
08-18-2010, 02:08 PM
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/djerc7/bengalsvspat.jpg

Pats 38 Bengals 24
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Tom Brady was back where he's most comfortable, on the field with Wes Welker grabbing touchdown passes.

The headline-making quarterback threw two of his three touchdown passes to Welker, who returned from a serious knee injury suffered last season, and led the New England Patriots to a 38-24 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday

New England quickly boosted a 24-3 halftime lead to 31-3 on Tate's touchdown.

Cincinnati cut that to 31-17 on Carson Palmer's scoring passes of 1 yard to rookie tight end Jermaine Gresham midway through the third quarter and 28 yards to Ochocinco with 22 seconds remaining in the period.

Then, Brady took back control by leading a 14-play, 81-yard march capped by a 1-yard scoring pass to Rob Gronkowski, another rookie tight end. It was Gronkowski's first pro touchdown and, before lining up to block for the extra point, he handed the ball to Brady for safekeeping on the sideline.

Brady completed 25 of 35 passes for 258 yards. Palmer, forced to throw because of the big deficit, finished 34 of 50 for 345 yards and two touchdowns. Ochocinco had 12 catches for 159 yards, and Owens added seven receptions for 53 yards.

Cedric Benson scored on a 1-yard run for Cincinnati with 3:57 left in the game.

While the Patriots' offense was expected to be strong, the young defense was suspect but very stingy in the first half. The Bengals' first five possessions ended with three punts, a lost fumble and Guyton's touchdown that made it 24-0 with 5:38 left in the half.

Bengals1181
09-04-2010, 10:20 AM
This should be an exciting game.

I think it will come down to how well the Bengals pressure Brady.

Bengals have a much better defense, Patriots have a better offense at the moment. Gronkowski and Hernandez worry me more than Welker and Moss.

A big key will be an underrated Cedric Benson plowing through a bad Patriots D and keeping Brady off the field.

Chilly
09-04-2010, 02:18 PM
The Bengals offense needs to control the pace of the game and keep the Pats O off the field. This entire game will come down to how effectively they can do that, and should offer a perspective of two big AFC factors:

1. Is the Patriots defense good enough for them to be a contender?
2. Is Carson Palmer good enough for the Bengals to be a contender?

If either don't show up, it spells bad things down the road for their respective teams. Big game--should be fun to watch.

Bengals1181
09-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Carson being good enough isn't a question. He had top 10 stats before Henry went down last year and the passing game stalled without a threat opposite of Chad. Carson led 7 scoring drives in the final 2 minutes of games last year where the Bengals either tied or took the lead. Carson is clutch.

Bengals main weakness (and maybe their only one) is the their oline. If the oline takes another step forward, the Bengals are a Super Bowl contender. And that's not the homer in me speaking.

Turk Schonert
09-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Patriots are tough at home (8-0 last year) ... but they did get beat at home in the playoffs!
Bengals must get pressure on Brady and disrupt the rhythm of their passing game. On offense, they need to run the ball for 140+ yards.

StarvinMarvin
09-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Patriots are tough at home (8-0 last year) ... but they did get beat at home in the playoffs!
Bengals must get pressure on Brady and disrupt the rhythm of their passing game. On offense, they need to run the ball for 140+ yards.

I'd rate the probablity of 140+ rushing as pretty good, say 85%+. The pressure on Brady is more problematic but not overwhelming. Kinda depends on what blitz packages they can take advantage of while keeping Welker and Crumpler/Gronkowski in check IMHO.

Chilly
09-05-2010, 05:46 PM
Carson Palmer has to prove himself, and I think even he'd tell you that. He hasn't been the same since that knee injury. I don't see the Bengals passing game as being dynamic this season, and that may come to be the deciding factor in the air-happy league we know and love. I don't think Ochocinco or Owens scare anyone much right now, and a lot of focus will be put upon Cedric [the one year wonder] Benson. Far from certainties.

Bengals1181
09-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Carson Palmer has to prove himself, and I think even he'd tell you that. He hasn't been the same since that knee injury. I don't see the Bengals passing game as being dynamic this season, and that may come to be the deciding factor in the air-happy league we know and love. I don't think Ochocinco or Owens scare anyone much right now, and a lot of focus will be put upon Cedric [the one year wonder] Benson. Far from certainties.

He put up pro bowl stats the year after his knee injury.

I think you'll be surprised by Ocho and Owens. If no one is scared of Ocho, why did he draw double teams all last year? Why did TO draw double teams last year in Buffalo?

Chad/TO/Gresham/Shipley are going to sneak up on a lot of folks. They shouldn't.

Chilly
09-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Teams had the luxury of double-teaming Ocho because of the lack of other threats in the passing game last year for Cincinnati. TO did not draw double teams all year, only in specific situations.

Palmer has not passed the 'eye-test' in quite some time, and has looked extremely weak throwing the ball more than ten yards down the field. Either Ochocinco or TO will have to show some sort of deep threat to spread defenses out and allow for a more prolific offense to aid their already-proven defense.

Please don't take this as Bengal-bashing--I like them to win the division and believe they are the second-best team in the AFC right now behind the Colts [and just in front of my Pats]. I just don't think Palmer can be considered a strength right now. Not yet, at least.

StarvinMarvin
09-06-2010, 03:14 PM
I'm having a hard time with the poll being 10-1 in favor of the Pats. With that defense? Methinks the notheast corridor is overly-optimistic.

Dave Lapham
09-09-2010, 11:14 PM
The Pats went undefeated at home in 2007 and 2009. They have never lost a home opener at Gillette 8-0. Brady is something like 60-13 at home. Bill Belichick and Tom Brady are 97-30 (.764) as head coach=starting QB tandem, the best winning % of any such tandem since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger. Add playoffs, the tandem is 14-4 (.778) for an overall record of 111-34 (.766). They are perfect for each other...both never satisfied and always pissed off. Brady continues to play with a chip on his shoulder as big as a 2x4. He had to beg Michigan to sign him, was a 6th rounder and still wants to show everyone how wrong they were in their evaluation of him. Bii B. mf's him more than anyone on the team. It's like Brady has never won a game for him. It has been quite a dynamic duo. Will Sean Peyton and Drew Brees enjoy the same kind of success. What other head caoch QB duos have your respect? Dungy and Manning?

hassan812
09-12-2010, 11:40 AM
I'm having a hard time with the poll being 10-1 in favor of the Pats. With that defense? Methinks the notheast corridor is overly-optimistic.

I was surprised when I saw that too. I think people are still underestimating the Bengals, but people tend to forget that they have a very good defense. Also the Pats' young defense is definitely going to be tested against all the weapons the Bengals have put together. With that being said, I'm gotta take the Pats 27-21.

hassan812
09-12-2010, 11:46 AM
So Edleman is inactive and Welker will be playing. Who would have thought this would happen months ago.

StarvinMarvin
09-12-2010, 12:03 PM
Seriously. I thought Welker at best would be PUP'd for the 1st 6 weeks. But Edelman being out made my FF decision easier :(. On the other side, Pat Sims being out hurts. He's a big part of the D-line rotation.

StarvinMarvin
09-12-2010, 04:59 PM
OK.. pile on. The Bengals sucked. If you look at the offensive stats, the Bengals are in the game. Not saying they win but it's closer. The loss goes to a lack of pass rush and spec. teams IMHO. Brady and Giselle could have had another child with the time he had for a receiver to get open. Hoping Mike Zimmer gives the entire D a colonoscope this coming week. Out of words for Darrin Simmons, the special teams coach. Update his resume maybe.

Bengals1181
09-12-2010, 05:19 PM
the key to the game was to get pressure on Brady, and they didn't get nearly enough. That said, what killed the Bengals the most were the two scores the D didn't give up. Can't hand the Pats 14 points at home.

Bengals offense looked pretty good as the game went on. Crappy loss, but no reason to panic.