PDA

View Full Version : Inserting images

ScottDCP
07-16-2012, 04:03 PM
Just got an error report on a 75Kb image saying it is too big to insert. Is this a glitch or are there new guidelines?

Andy Freeland
07-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Just got an error report on a 75Kb image saying it is too big to insert. Is this a glitch or are there new guidelines?

Not guidelines. It's either a) a glitch or b) poor configuration due to incompetent admin. Bet heavily on b. I'll look into it.

ScottDCP
07-16-2012, 04:11 PM
No rush, it was a picture of the Browns.

Andy Freeland
07-16-2012, 04:12 PM
easiest way is to click on 'from URL' and leave 'retrieve remote file' checked. Assuming it's an image that's somewhere on the web.

wxwax
07-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Actually, I wasn't able to link to a photo until after I had un-checked this box: "Retrieve remote file and reference locally"

It's checked by default. I think it ought not to be.

Also, the first tab implies you permit attaching photos. Do you? That would kill your bandwidth, no?

ScottDCP
07-16-2012, 06:48 PM
I ended up unchecking the box for success. I then discovered that I could go in and type the tags in place, also with success.

Andy Freeland
07-16-2012, 07:27 PM
Actually, I wasn't able to link to a photo until after I had un-checked this box: "Retrieve remote file and reference locally"

Also, the first tab implies you permit attaching photos. Do you? That would kill your bandwidth, no?

We do allow attaching photos. It has no appreciable impact on bandwidth.

wxwax
07-16-2012, 08:01 PM
We do allow attaching photos. It has no appreciable impact on bandwidth.

I'm surprised to hear that. Another (massive) forum to which I belong, long ago disabled attachments. They said it gobbled up bandwidth. Perhaps it was a volume issue. Or perhaps I misunderstood and it was gobbling up another resource. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-confused005.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

wxwax
07-30-2012, 05:35 PM

I still think this. Has anyone been able to link a photo without unchecking this box?

Rich Gapinski
07-30-2012, 05:54 PM
For some reason I am not smart enough to explain, you can post any photo while keeping the box checked, but it takes one extra step.

The extra step is removing numbers that show up after the .jpg suffix on the link after you paste the link into the box. Why the numbers show up? I have no idea.

They post fine if I remember to do that.

Andy Freeland
07-30-2012, 06:20 PM
For some reason I am not smart enough to explain, you can post any photo while keeping the box checked, but it takes one extra step.

The extra step is removing numbers that show up after the .jpg suffix on the link after you paste the link into the box. Why the numbers show up? I have no idea.

Correct. Some websites use command line arguments when posting pics. Those need to be removed, so the url ends with the pic's extension (jpg, png, bmp, etc).

for example, the url for this pic:

is

http://nbchardballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/cueto-throwing-in-reds-uni.jpg?w=320

To get it to post, I had to remove the '?w=320'.

wxwax
07-30-2012, 06:27 PM

Test without numbers after the .jpg and box checked:

wxwax
07-30-2012, 06:28 PM
Test, using same URL, this time by unchecking the box:

http://wxwax.smugmug.com/Sports/US-Open-Tennis-Spet-1-2-2009/6363-Feet-serve-six-6363/648960403_Wcj3p-L.jpg

wxwax
07-30-2012, 06:32 PM
So, when I use a "clean" URL and I do *not* uncheck the box, this is what the forum software shows me. It seems to be attaching a thumbnail from the other browser window. My image in not on my computer, it's in my online photo account. And yes, I am clicking on the URL tab, not the attach tab.

https://img.skitch.com/20120730-hhap8hr9xh1se7wps6x5cmqmg.jpg

Andy Freeland
07-30-2012, 06:38 PM
I guess I should give some detail on the 2 different processes. With the box checked, the image will be downloaded from its location to the FP server. As you can see from wax's test post above, it will be displayed as a thumbnail which you can click for the full sized image. With the box unchecked, it will simply show the image from its current location, meaning no resizing, don't have to click to see full size. However, if that picture ever gets moved, deleted or changed, the pic we see here will also be affected. If anyone's concerned about storage space, don't be. We have unlimited storage.

All images on the front page should always be copied locally for obvious reasons. If we are linking the pic, we are totally at someone else's mercy. If a picture gets changed from something football related to something sex related, our site would go from PG to X without anyone here realizing it. In the forum itself I'm not as worried about it, but would still prefer the pic to be saved locally for the same reason.

Andy Freeland
07-30-2012, 06:44 PM
So, when I use a "clean" URL and I do *not* uncheck the box, this is what the forum software shows me. It seems to be attaching a thumbnail from the other browser window. My image in not on my computer, it's in my online photo account. And yes, I am clicking on the URL tab, not the attach tab.

https://img.skitch.com/20120730-hhap8hr9xh1se7wps6x5cmqmg.jpg

You posted this as I was posting my explanation above, so that may have answered you question. If not:

The [attach=config]525 is referring to a local attachment. The file is copied from the url, saved on the FP server and referenced locally as attachment 525. The attachment is the full sized image, the thumbnail is built by the OS and displayed in the thread. The full sized image can be accessed by clicking on the thumbnail.

wxwax
07-30-2012, 06:44 PM
Cool, thanks for the explanation, Andy.