PDA

View Full Version : Forum changes?

edave
07-18-2012, 02:11 AM
Because I couldn't find anything better, I use the New Posts button and a couple RSS feeds to keep up with things here. There is probably a better way.

I've noticed some of the forums come up labeled "vBCms Comments". That might be part of the recent changes or could be a long term thing. Either way, it would likely be better as something like "<article-name> Comments" if you can do the substitution or something more useful than vBCms if you can't.

And I'm totally not sure if I should stick this in a forum. Move or delete it as needed.

Andy Freeland
07-18-2012, 02:37 AM
We don't really stand on formality here, but I moved it to forum feedback just because it was fun and I already had the zoning permit.

vBCms Comments refers to comment from an article. It has always been this way. It's the standard in vBulletin (the software that runs the forum) and I don't think there's a way to change it.

I think most people navigate the forum through recent posts. I know I do.

Glad to have to back eDave, you've been pretty active the last day or so.

edave
07-19-2012, 02:57 AM
Thanks for the information.

As for my participation here, I'm erratic. When I have some time and am in a football mood I seem to wind up here. It's also a good place to ask some of my many questions.

GoBigOrGoHome
07-19-2012, 11:05 PM
Not a forum change, but I really like the new-look front page. The side-by-side article layout looks sharp.

BuckeyeRidley
07-19-2012, 11:37 PM
I like the changes here. Very Cool to see the forum entries on our personal pages. This is a Good way to keep track of the trash we talk; LOL! I like Vick with my Eagles & all, but that ain't no dynasty.

FrzzerBwler
07-19-2012, 11:48 PM
Andy well done on new front page.
Loooking Goood!

Andy Freeland
07-20-2012, 12:24 AM
Thanks guys. Glad everyone likes it.

wxwax
07-20-2012, 01:13 AM
Man, the hamsters are spinning their wheels like fury today! It's raining front page articles!

I agree with the others, the side-buh-side looks good.

Andy Freeland
07-20-2012, 01:26 AM
Man, the hamsters are spinning their wheels like fury today! It's raining front page articles!

I gave them fresh water and told them they couldn't roll around the floor in that little ball until the articles were done. I'm a motivational genius. Food pellets for all.

FrzzerBwler
07-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Food pellets for all.

It's breakfast time, where are our food pellets?

brauneyz
07-20-2012, 12:11 PM
I never go to the front page, preferring to go directly to 'Recent Posts'. Checked it out. Looks good. Like a ..... newspaper. (Wonder if any youngsters here have ever seen a newspaper?)

Here's hoping we have better success!

Curtis
07-20-2012, 01:08 PM
I like how the front page reflects that the site is "active", now that fresh articles are being posted.

wxwax
07-20-2012, 06:15 PM
I would guess that y'all are making like Goldilocks, trying to find the "just right" new style for the site.

As you try to figure which bowl of porridge is the right temperature, a thought to chew on: when there's an avalanche of new material each day, it becomes hard for any one topic to get traction in Comments. It sort of gets lost. Somewhere there's a balance between not too hot, not too cold; not too hard, not to soft; not too many, not too few articles.

Andy Freeland
07-20-2012, 06:30 PM
I would guess that y'all are making like Goldilocks, trying to find the "just right" new style for the site.

As you try to figure which bowl of porridge is the right temperature, a thought to chew on: when there's an avalanche of new material each day, it becomes hard for any one topic to get traction in Comments. It sort of gets lost. Somewhere there's a balance between not too hot, not too cold; not too hard, not to soft; not too many, not too few articles.

I have had that exact conversation several times in the last couple of days. Everyone comments on a different article and a good conversation never breaks out anywhere. Definitely something we have to watch.

Trumpetbdw
07-20-2012, 06:36 PM
I have had that exact conversation several times in the last couple of days. Everyone comments on a different article and a good conversation never breaks out anywhere. Definitely something we have to watch.

I agree with this, for what it's worth. Conversation has always been what's most enjoyable about this site. Love the extra news, but not if it comes at the expense of the conversation.

Other than that, I like the changes I've seen. Front page looks great, and I'm loving the added activity.

bluestree
07-20-2012, 07:00 PM
I think what gives the articles 'traction' in the comments section is if they are compelling topics. If the goal is to drive more converstion, I would suggest ditching the 'team pages' which nobody seems to use, and replace them with a 'Most Commented' box ala PFT. That drives folks to the hot topics and keeps them going day to day.

wxwax
07-20-2012, 07:03 PM
I think what gives the articles 'traction' in the comments section is if they are compelling topics.

See, this is why they pay assignment editors and television news producers. Identifying the hot story is quite a skill.

wxwax
07-21-2012, 04:28 PM
Hate to be a debbie downer, but the more that photos are used to support front page articles, the more the issue of copyright comes into play.

Patrick Sullivan
07-21-2012, 05:13 PM
The directive from the boss is to start using photos previously posted on NBC Sports sites as we are technically part of the NBC family, still.

For my part, I have yet to seek out an adequate bank of photos at nbcsports.com. It is too easy to just go the Google Image route. But I imagine you are absolutely correct and we are taking, albeit in baby steps, measures to avoid this problem.

wxwax
07-21-2012, 06:20 PM
Yeah, NBC being TV, I would imagine that photos aren't their strong suit. Their news sites would have licenses to use photos from certain services, I imagine. Using just any old image is definitely a copyright issue.

wxwax
09-27-2012, 02:07 PM
Not sure where to put this, so I put it here:

I'm having persistent, but intermittent, trouble getting into this website. Today my old bookmark failed for the second time. So too did typing in the plain old URL for the site. So too did clicking on the Google search result for Football Pros. I was only able to get in by clicking on a bio link in Google search.

Docta
09-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Same with me. Just can't get onto the front page.

Andy Freeland
09-27-2012, 02:28 PM
I'm not having any problems at all. Anyone else?

Bengals1181
09-27-2012, 02:35 PM
I can get to the front page on my PC, but not my Ipad (Safari or Chrome).

Rich Gapinski
09-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Every once in a while I can't get in, but it just takes a few tries. I have noticed better luck with Apple products and IE rather than Chrome.

BobbyJ
09-27-2012, 02:41 PM
This is what i get when trying to go to the home page.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 84 bytes) in /home/footbal2/public_html/vb/item/content.php on line 124

wxwax
09-27-2012, 02:46 PM
Yeah, same error message here. I just got it again. Mac/Safari.

FWIW, my FootballPros feed in iGoogle hasn't refreshed since the Great Darkness.

Here's a screen grab of an error message.

http://wxwax.smugmug.com/photos/i-23rBWsR/0/XL/i-23rBWsR-XL.jpg

ScottDCP
09-27-2012, 03:02 PM
I get it in Chrome on W7. And while the page loads in my phone (Opera for Android) the layout and display bear no resemblance to the website, for what it's worth.

Swami
09-27-2012, 03:13 PM
I get bobbyj's error frequently - but a little persistence gets me in. However, it would surely discourage newbies.

brauneyz
09-27-2012, 04:01 PM
Got the same error in Chrome a couple times. Persistence pays off!

vancemeek
09-27-2012, 04:06 PM
I've gotten it from the desktop (Firefox) iPad (safari) and Android phone.

packa7x
09-27-2012, 05:00 PM
No issues gaining access from my ipad (safari) or mozilla using a school PC (lenovo thinkcentre)

Trumpetbdw
09-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Yes, I've gotten the same error, more often on IE through my school laptop than through my home laptop using Safari. But I've seen the error on both systems, and got it frequently early this afternoon (on IE).

mikesteelnation1
09-27-2012, 08:36 PM
I get that error message all the time. More often during the day than at night.

wxwax
09-28-2012, 02:29 PM
I cleaned out all my cookies on the machine with the problem bookmark. Seems to have worked.

wxwax
09-29-2012, 11:59 PM
Front page broke down this evening. Forum link works. Different machine. Mac/Firefox.

msclemons
09-30-2012, 01:15 PM
I starting getting the fatal error last night. Firefox/PC.

Refreshing 3 or 4 times gets past it. Forum Runner is working fine.

wxwax
09-30-2012, 03:14 PM
I tried cleaning out cookies and logging back on. Did *not* solve the problem on my second machine. I think it was just a coincidence that I was able to use my bookmark after cleaning cookies on my other machine.

wxwax
10-01-2012, 11:58 PM
Not to be a pain (believe it or not I'm actually trying to be helpful!) but I'm noticing other wonky site activity.

This evening Recent Posts came up empty, even though there had been new posts since my previous visit.

Also, here are a couple of screen grabs of front page formatting wonkiness' that have been there for days.

http://wxwax.smugmug.com/photos/i-MXPm6mJ/0/M/i-MXPm6mJ-M.jpg

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxo x

http://wxwax.smugmug.com/photos/i-mwRqsFg/0/M/i-mwRqsFg-M.jpg

Andy Freeland
10-02-2012, 12:35 AM
That's a known problem with picture uploads. One of several things I haven't fixed. Host said they made changes to the server which may or may not fix our memory errors. Guess we'll find out.

wxwax
11-10-2012, 04:10 PM
I got the dreaded error message when I tried to visit here a few minutes ago.

wxwax
11-23-2012, 11:41 PM
Jeepers, is there anything we can do about these g*****m spammers?

mkocs6
11-24-2012, 01:11 AM
Front page is down but forums still work, if anyone is minding the shop.

wxwax
11-24-2012, 01:46 AM
I've had a couple of error messages in the last two weeks when I used my front page bookmark. Rare, but it has happened to me. The spammers are like mosquitoes, little pests that are incredibly irritating.

wxwax
12-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Couldn't get into the site using the front page. Not from my bookmark, nor from Google. I got in via a link to Cris' bio.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 8260050 bytes) in /home/footbal2/public_html/vb/cache/db.php on line 109

wxwax
12-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Got the error message again this morning. Nothing worked on the site.

Andy Freeland
12-26-2012, 12:55 PM
database errors today. should be cleaned up now.

wxwax
01-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Bookmark got the error message this evening. Was able to get in via a profile link.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 10084047 bytes) in /home/footbal2/public_html/vb/cache/db.php on line 122

wxwax
02-17-2013, 05:37 PM
FYI, the Recent Posts button seems to have developed a very short memory. For example, right now at 4:36pm, I'm only getting posts from 3pm onwards. I'm not getting stuff that was posted at 11am and 9am. It's been this way for a few weeks, from what I can tell.

wxwax
02-19-2013, 06:46 PM
Bump

Andy Freeland
02-19-2013, 07:24 PM
FYI, the Recent Posts button seems to have developed a very short memory. For example, right now at 4:36pm, I'm only getting posts from 3pm onwards. I'm not getting stuff that was posted at 11am and 9am. It's been this way for a few weeks, from what I can tell.

I haven't seen this, anyone else?

I have to admit, I don't know exactly how deep the recent posts page goes. I know that it's user specific. It should bring up the threads that have changed since your last session. Someone who hasn't logged in for a couple of days will have more threads than someone who logs in a couple of times a day.

wxwax
02-19-2013, 07:29 PM
I haven't seen this, anyone else?

I have to admit, I don't know exactly how deep the recent posts page goes. I know that it's user specific. It should bring up the threads that have changed since your last session. Someone who hasn't logged in for a couple of days will have more threads than someone who logs in a couple of times a day.

Did this thread appear in your recent posts before I bumped it? My post is only a couple of days old.

Recent Posts used to capture up to a couple of days, maybe more. All I can say is that some same-day posts aren't appearing anymore.

Andy Freeland
02-19-2013, 07:33 PM
Did this thread appear in your recent posts before I bumped it? My post is only a couple of days old.

Recent Posts used to capture up to a couple of days, maybe more. All I can say is that some same-day posts aren't appearing anymore.

not that I noticed. I'll see if deleting cache and repairing tables helps.

edave
02-19-2013, 07:51 PM
I've noticed a couple odd things today but 'Recent Posts' isn't one of them. The recent view is tied to a cookie that can be reset and also seems to time out occasionally. When it resets itself (I'm not buying the stupid PHP code to sort out what it is doing), you get everything from that time forward. The TL;DR version would be ... sometimes it's wonky.

What I did find unusual was that the Activity Stream view was truncated this morning. It had 3 items, Rich's new article and this thread and something else. Sometime later (it seems to have just about everything in it now) it resumed working properly.

The other unusual event concerns Evans' "Potential Cap Casualties: NFC North" article. Maybe it's not published yet, but if it is, it never showed up in either monitoring mechanism. I noticed it in an article RSS feed.

I can find it via a search, but it's not shown in this view...

http://footballpros.com/forumdisplay.php/3-vBCms-Comments

Come to think of it, neither is his AFC South article. It's like they both went to limbo land.

Andy Freeland
02-19-2013, 09:15 PM
The other unusual event concerns Evans' "Potential Cap Casualties: NFC North" article. Maybe it's not published yet, but if it is, it never showed up in either monitoring mechanism. I noticed it in an article RSS feed.

I can find it via a search, but it's not shown in this view...

http://footballpros.com/forumdisplay.php/3-vBCms-Comments

Come to think of it, neither is his AFC South article. It's like they both went to limbo land.

Both of those articles are published and showing up on the front page for me. neither has any comments. It's a chicken and egg thing. They should show up in recent posts once they're published, then go away if they don't get any comments. Are they not showing up because they didn't get comments or did they not gets comments because they never showed up in recent posts? <I've always been much better at finding addition questions than finding answers>

edave
02-19-2013, 10:07 PM
Both of those articles are published and showing up on the front page for me.

Doh! Never checked the front page. And now they're on the comment page (where they always show up, even without comments).