PDA

View Full Version : Regular season Week 1 Final - Packers 27 Eagles 20- 9/12/10

Colts01
08-18-2010, 06:20 PM
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/djerc7/packvseagles.jpg
Packers 27 Eagles 20

PHILADELPHIA -- Aaron Rodgers threw a pair of touchdown passes, Mason Crosby kicked a team-record 56-yard field goal and the Green Bay Packers beat the Philadelphia Eagles 27-20 on Sunday despite a vintage performance by Michael Vick.

In their first game since trading Donovan McNabb to Washington, the Eagles (0-1) started with Kevin Kolb and finished with Vick. Kolb left with a concussion at halftime, so Vick played meaningful snaps for an extended period for the first time in nearly four years.

Vick, a three-time Pro Bowl quarterback during six seasons in Atlanta, invigorated an offense that was awful in the first half. He finished with 175 yards passing and ran for 103.

bluestree
08-18-2010, 08:47 PM
As it stands today, I think the Packers hand the Eagles a loss. Both are young teams, with Green Bay probably being younger, but Philly being "greener" (ok, I'll stop). Kevin Kolb is likely to see things he never has out of Dom Caper's defense, and Aaron Rodgers looks to be in top form, with an eye on grabbing the crown as best QB in the NFC this season. I do think Capers will blitz the hell out of Kolb, and I'm sure Philly will blitz the hell out of Rodgers. Advantage; Packers.

Andy Freeland
08-18-2010, 09:01 PM
In his first start as 'the man' last week, Kolb looked like a promising young QB. He made some big throws, went downfield more than I expected, came very close to throwing 2 INTs and led his team to 3 FGs in 3 drives. Kolb is a good QB, but will have some growing pains, and I agree that Dom Capers will have him off balance in week 1.

Ragar
09-04-2010, 10:08 AM
This has the appearance of an "Easy" win for the Packers: Packers offense and Dom Capers defense vs. Kolb. However, the one thing that always backfires is that the Packers only have a general idea of what Kolb does well, and when you don;t know, it becomes hard to game plan effectively against the guy. Playing against rookie qb's always scares me (just as when teams face rookie pitching in the baseball).

bluestree
09-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Watched a replay of the Eagles - Jets game from thursday, and Charlie Casserly was a guest in the booth. When asked about this game he was very pro-Eagles, though circumstances may have played into his opinion. He said the Packers have a problem with their defense and they're "covering it up with optimism." He doesn't think they are very good.
That wouldn't say much for the organization if they weren't being realistic about the players they have. I know sometimes you overvalue your players because they are "your players" and you work with them and believe you can get them coached up.
My take on the Packer's D is a little different. I think a lot of the problems they had last year with elite qb's, elite mind you, was that those games coincided with injuries. Brett Favre burned Derrick Martin, who is a bubble guy. Big Ben went after Josh Bell, a street guy, emergency signing type. Carson Palmer burned Aaron Rouse, who was cut after the game and is now out of football. And by the time we got to Kurt Warner, we were playing Jarret Bush, and Bigby went down in the 3rd.
Meanwhile, Kevin Kolb goes up against one of the top statistical defenses of last year with an interesting statistic of his own. Two starts.

GBPKS
09-07-2010, 10:55 AM
I think this will be a very entertaining shootout kind of game. I think both teams will move the ball and will score. It will come down to which defensive coordinator can pull something out of his hat to confuse the other QB and force a turnover in a key spot.

I'd like to think that since Kolb is about two years behind Rodgers on the developmental curve, it will be Capers who wins the chess match and forces Kolb to cough up the ball in a big spot, but I would not be shocked to see the Eagles win this game at home.

In a lot of ways, a defense is only as good as it's nickel back and that's where the Packers will be tested. Sam Shields will get a trial by fire from Andy Reid who is very creative on offense and will create some mismatches in the secondary. Plus, the Eagles are far superior on special teams and that could keep them in the game as well.

But I don't know how the Eagles stop the Packers offense - I think the Eagles will have to get to 30 to win this game and I'm not sure that Kolb will be up for it in his first start as "the guy." I also think if either team is able to run the ball well in this game, it will be Ryan Grant and the Packers.

TheLinc
09-07-2010, 11:43 AM
It's a great test coming out of the gate for McDermott and the young defense against one of the best offenses/QB's in the game. McDermott will need to be aggressive to keep an otherwise well-synced offense off-balance and give the offense a chance to get clicking with good field position. I think the Packers win this contest but I fully expect the Eagles to demonstrate they can hang with the best in the league. If they can create some turnovers, Philadelphia might pull it out yet.

IndyColtsFan
09-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Kolb out with a concussion- can Vick lead the Eagles back from 17 point deficit? I highly doubt it

ReaderM
09-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Kolb out with a concussion- can Vick lead the Eagles back from 17 point deficit? I highly doubt it

Yea, especially if Rodgers and Jennings keep playing pitch and catch like this

ReaderM
09-12-2010, 08:07 PM
i might have spoken too soon, Vick is looking pretty good right now.. now watch him go throw an INT right after I say this

bluestree
09-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Some observations; Clay Matthews had his best game, he was dominant at times.

BJ Raji has some pass rush skill. The D line in general looked like it was pushing the pocket more.

Took the Eagles a long time to isolate Sam Shields.

Nick Collins badly over ran his gap on Vick's first big run.

John Kuhn looked good carrying the ball.

This whole possesion going to the ground thing is getting ridiculous.

Aaron Rodgers had one of his worst games in a while. It was good to see the defense pick it up.

Speaking of picking it up, Brandon Jackson stepped up with some key runs.

Do the Eagles have a quarterback controversy yet?

Ragar
09-12-2010, 09:35 PM
Some final thoughts on the game:

Andy Reid actually made the right decision in calling his time-outs early. It left the eagles with plenty of time on their final drive where they did not have to play the out-of-bounds game. SCary that i said Andy Reid made the right call....

Rodgers did not have a good game, and yet teh PAckers were still effective on offesne. Good sign for things to come.

I still think Jackson is better for the Packers offense then Grant. The offense when Grant is in seems a little more predictable in regards to waht type of run plays-pass plays appear to be called. (and I still think Grant is a better runnning back then JAckson, jsut the fit on the offense is better)

Defense let some oppurtunities slip through thier fingers for turnovers.

Think the Packers do a poor job of occasiionally showing blitz a little early, then failing to audible out of it after it is recognized by the oppposing offense.

Vick is effective. Design the offense to him and the eagles will be ok. (not enough to comment on Kolb)

SpartaChris
09-12-2010, 11:11 PM
The bodies totally hit the floor too. Grant suffering the sprain after finding a bit of a rhythm I thought was disheartening, but Jackson stepped his game up quite a bit. Sorry to see Kolb go out and then to have Philly lose two guys for the season like this. Also sucked to see Harrell be lost for the season. Jenkins breaking his hand resulted in a couple of missed sacks, but he still got pretty good pressure.

All in all I felt we got great pressure and collapsed the pocket well. Definitely some missed opportunities on defense, but all in all we did well. Rodgers did play poorly and we still put 27 points up. If he was on his game, I'm convinced we score into the 30's easy.

GBPKS
09-13-2010, 11:14 AM
This was a very good victory for the Packers - I'm always impressed when teams are able to play less than their best football and still come away with a W, especially on the road.

The offense looked out of sync but that seemed to be a theme across the league in Week 1, so I'm not too concerned about it. I think Rodgers' accuracy will improve as the season progresses. I am more concerned with the play of the two veteran tackles as well as the ankle injury to Ryan Grant. We know that ankle injuries have a tendency to linger and I would not be surprised to see Grant sit out at least next week against Buffalo.

I thought the defense played very well although I was very frightened by the insertion of Mike Vick as full-time quarterback after Kolb's injury. Vick played well, although he's still not much of a passing threat - and he did make a terrible mistake on 3rd and goal when he could have easily run it in for a TD and instead threw an incomplete pass. The Kevin Kolb Era in Philly might be over before it starts - Mike Vick definitely gives that team the best chance to win.

Justin Harrell lost for the season with an ACL on FG protection - unbelievable. The poor guy has absolutely no luck and it will certainly mark the end of his career in Green Bay. It is hard to feel sorry for a guy who has racked up four seasons of first round draft pick paychecks in 14 NFL games, but I hold him no ill will either. The saying is - health is a skill, and hopefully Thompson and the scouting staff take that into consideration for future drafts. The DLine is dangerously thin now, though, with Cullen Jenkins' broken hand, Mike Neal's ab strain, and now Harrell out for the season. I joked that it would have made sense for the Packers to trade Quinn Johnson to the Eagles at halftime for a DLineman.

The game ball this week absolutely goes to the special teams, though - Mason Crosby converts two long kicks, Jordy Nelson was a beast returning kickoffs and killing the momentum every time the Eagles scored, and the coverage units played well.

So, the Packers stand at 1-0 and now have Buffalo coming to town - I'm not convinced we'll blow the doors off the Bills, but I don't think the Bills have the offensive weaponry to take advantage of our secondary. Could be an ugly win next week, especially if we go without Grant, but it should be a win.

bluestree
09-13-2010, 11:24 AM
I thought the same thing about trading Johnson to Philly, but to be honest, they probably have a backup that looks as good as he has. Also totally agree on the first point: winning ugly on the road, good teams do it. The turf was crap, the weather was bad, they were off their game, there were injuries, but the Packers got the W. That's how you do it. Look at the Steelers over the years. Winning when you're off is the sign of a solid club.

FessJL0861
09-13-2010, 06:10 PM
The Grant ankle is a bummer because Jackson did make some good plays, but he hesitates too much instead of hitting the hole. I was watching the game with my buddy and we kept saying the same thing over and over until he finally got it together. He dances to much. Hit the frickin hole!

Harrell is most certainly not going to be a Packer any longer. Either it's bad luck or just bad conditioning. Who knows.

Jenkins playing with that club is awesome. He seems like he would play with both hands in a cast. Big, hardcore fella. Awesome.

Rodgers looked horrible, and I can't shake my distrust in him with a tight game on the road yet. I don't know why, but I get the yips when its close and he has to make plays. On the brighter side of things, he has a long time to improve (Lord willing).

Vick scares me. I remember when he came into Lambeau a few years ago and beat the Packers in the playoffs. He looked like that guy again. We know he isn't going to win any championships, but with help he looks pretty good. If I were Buffalo, I would have Philly on speed dial.

To echo Bluestree's sentiment, with everything that didn't go as planned, that is a W I would take any day of the week. There is no such thing as a bad win. Especially in Philly.

Ragar
09-13-2010, 06:36 PM
The Grant ankle is a bummer because Jackson did make some good plays, but he hesitates too much instead of hitting the hole. I was watching the game with my buddy and we kept saying the same thing over and over until he finally got it together. He dances to much. Hit the frickin hole!

Harrell is most certainly not going to be a Packer any longer. Either it's bad luck or just bad conditioning. Who knows.

To echo Bluestree's sentiment, with everything that didn't go as planned, that is a W I would take any day of the week. There is no such thing as a bad win. Especially in Philly.

Jackson is a more patient runner, he doesn't slam into the line based upon the play call hoping a hole, he takes his time to wait it. This is both a n\blessing and a curse as grant is more liekly to break big runs (and make 2 yards out of nothing) while running into his own blockers, while JAckson will get he 4-17 yard play a lot more consistently, but have more negative yard plays. I actually think JAckson is better for our offense, even though he is not as talented as Grant. REason: Grant thrives in two back set wheras JAckson will be much better off in one back set's with two TE's otr 1 TE, 3 wide sets (should be more favorable match-up's for our offense)

Harrell is just plain unlucky. Every injury but his back last year has been a new injury. No common denominator (hurt your ankle as your knee hurts, etc.)

Good road win.

FessJL0861
09-13-2010, 06:43 PM
Jackson is a more patient runner, he doesn't slam into the line based upon the play call hoping a hole, he takes his time to wait it. This is both a n\blessing and a curse

Good road win.

That has always been the most maddening pat of Jackson for me. MADDENING!!!

Heck yeah, I'll take it any day of the week.

GBPKS
09-14-2010, 11:37 AM
Well, we're going to get a chance to see what B-Jax is made of. He was picked in the second round for a reason and Mike McCarthy seems to love him. Ryan Grant rose to the occasion and stole his thunder and has been great for us, but now it's Jackson's turn to step up.