PDA

View Full Version : Regular Season Week 4 - Lions @ Packers - Sun. 10/03/10

Wordsworth
08-18-2010, 08:26 PM
Detroit Lions @ Green Bay Packers
Lambeau Field, 1:00pm ET

bluestree
10-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Is Detroit a greatly improved team, or has Green Bay been overated? The Packers jumped out to a lead with three touchdowns in the first half, and then were stymied by the Lions defense in the second half as Aaron Rodgers threw two interceptions and Jordy Nelson fumbled a kickoff return at the worst possible time. Detroit's offense, led by Shaun Hill, moved the ball on Green Bay thoughout the game, but shot themselves in the foot with first half turnovers.
Last year's highly ranked Packer run defense was MIA again, as the Lions converted third downs on the ground and in the air, but it was the yardage Detroit picked up on first down that kept the Packer defense on it's heels. While Green Bay got after Hill in the first half, Detroit got it fixed at halftime, and it seemed liked Hill had time to take a few bites of BJ Raji's brats berore throwing the ball effectively over the middle to his tight end, and of course to Calvin Johnson. One of Megatron's TD's came when he was bracketed by Charles Woodson and Derrick Martin, who was in for injured rookie Morgan Burnett. Martin demonstrated the ball skills of Mary Martin (no relation) on the play. Burnett looked to be responsible for Johnson's first TD, when he turned outside when Calvin turned inside like George Costanza doing the opposite. And while that got George a job with the Yankees, it will get Burnett benched when Atari Bigby comes back in two weeks.
With their lead reduced from 14 points to 2, Green Bay took the ball with about five minutes and change, and found running lanes for fullback turned no. 2 tailback John Kuhn. It was the first time in four games that the Packers ran the ball effectively, as "the Kuhn" ran for a couple of first downs with the determination of Eric Cartman fighting fo a bucket of KFC.
Packer fans can't be too encouraged by the win. Clearly the people who maintained Green Bay was overated on defense seem to be correct. Besides running and throwing the ball effectively on first down, and finding open receivers behind the Packer linebackers, the weak spot in a 34 defense that doesn't rush the passer well, Shaun Hill demonstrated that when all else fails, Green Bay fails to account for the quarterback, and he was able to take off for big yardage whenever he needed.
Once again, it was Chuck Woodson who took the game on his back with a pick 6 in the second half, and some key tackles, including taking down tight end Brandon Pettigrew short of a first down with a tackle that looked more like a linebacker stoning a kicker. Pettigrew had several key drops that caused the Lions to settle for three points instead of a extending drive.
Aaron Rodgers, other than the two picks, one a seemingly bad throw, the other a terrific play by the defender taking a deep ball from Greg Jennings, was impressive, making throws that only a handful of guys can make, and making them look routine. If Rodgers continues to play like he has the past 36 games, he will reduce Brett Favre to that guy that never missed a game.
If I was a Lions fan, I would be impressed with the poise and lack of quit my team showed, as well as the obvious talent on both sides of the ball.
I questioned the Packers playcalling, which seemed to be going to deep drops, when the weakness in Detroit's secondary lends itself to a more ball control passing game. The Lions had far more offensive plays than the Packers, which possibly contributed to a less than stellar showing on defense. Still, I think Green Bay has some problems they have to fix. Getting back to stuffing the run, generating consistent pass rush, and better play from the safeties. While Burnett is a rookie, and Derrick Martin is a special teamer pressed into service because regular backup Charlie Peprah has been hurt, Nick Collins hasn't been making any big plays. One caveat, that could be a product of the scheme, hard to tell watching on tv. Still, Darren Sharper was able to make plays on the ball when playing deep centerfield.
So Green Bay goes to 3 and 1, but Mike McCarthy, like Lucy, may have some 'splainin' to do if the Packers don't start playing up to the hype.

footballgal
10-03-2010, 06:18 PM
The Packers obviously do have some weaknesses, but I can't forget that last year, they started the season pretty rough before they started playing up to their potential. That may be the case again.

And with the way they've been playing, it's weird that the Lions are an 0-4 team. Their luck is going to turn one of these weeks; I'm just glad it wasn't today.

Ragar
10-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Another game that shouldn't be as close as it was. The Packers lack of special teams will cost them a game later in this year. And as stated earlier, the Lions must have pissed off God somehow, as they are the unluckiest team in the NFL.

bluestree
10-03-2010, 07:51 PM
It'll be interesting to see how the Bears play tonight. I've always thought the first four games were kind of up for grabs. From here on out the contenders will separate from the pretenders. I think footballgal makes a good point, although the Pack took till week nine to find an identity last year. I don't think we have that kind of time with the schedule this season. McCarthy needs to "fix it". We must get a more consistent pass rush out of five guys. Notice how the more Dom sent, the easier it was for the Lions to complete passes? And that was Shaun Hill, not Tom Brady.

ReaderM
10-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Another game that shouldn't be as close as it was. The Packers lack of special teams will cost them a game later in this year. And as stated earlier, the Lions must have pissed off God somehow, as they are the unluckiest team in the NFL.

That's the Problem with GB, they should be blowing teams out but instead are letting them hang around..I really don't consider GB a veteran team right now and this is just one of their growing pains, good enough to make other teams foolish yet bad enough that they can't play consistent for 4 Qtr's. As for the Lions.. man, this team has some heart but at some point you got to wonder when all those moral victories will transfer into actual victories

BMW
10-03-2010, 11:23 PM
Actual victories coming soon!!!

Bench Jonathan Wade, Alphonso Smith step up into the starter role!

bluestree
10-03-2010, 11:36 PM
Actual victories coming soon!!!

Bench Jonathan Wade, Alphonso Smith step up into the starter role!

For true, my leather interiored, fuel injected friend.

DannyMilk
10-04-2010, 01:22 AM
I'm not going to lie, I'm starting to root for the Lions...can't believe it!

GBPKS
10-04-2010, 08:47 AM
Kind of a strange game. The Lions are scrappy and have a lot of weapons on offense. The Packers left a lot of opportunities on the field, failing to convert a few 3rd and shorts which meant they didn't have the ball nearly enough.

The Packer secondary continues to get banged up, and Morgan Burnett might be lost for the season. That creates a two game window of Derrick Martin or Charlie Peprah or Jarrett Bush starting until Atari Bigby comes off PUP.

One positive in the game was the four minute offense at the end of the game - that's the one area where you NEED a running game - up 2 points with six minutes to go. It was very impressive to be able to run the ball down Detroit's throat and ice the game.

bluestree
10-04-2010, 10:04 AM
One positive in the game was the four minute offense at the end of the game - that's the one area where you NEED a running game - up 2 points with six minutes to go. It was very impressive to be able to run the ball down Detroit's throat and ice the game.

The Kuhn and friends; fighting crime, protecting the city, and icing the game! Take that Professor Chaos. Seriously, that was six and a half minutes of clock killing drive. Impressive indeed. It's that kind of back to the wall response the Pack showed last year (thanks, footballgal) that makes the Pack indomitable (thanks, Tiki).

Ripperlicious
10-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Super Bowl teams don't blow out every opponent. They have wins when they shouldn't, which was what Sunday was. Can they play better? Absolutely. Overrated? Only time will tell, but certainly you can't tell that after starting 3-1. You can certainly see the offensive weapons the Pack possesses, and defensively they have playmakers on all three levels (d-line, LB and secondary), so I'm not too worried. The key is to play your best football by the end of the regular season going into the playoffs, which is 13 weeks away.

Ripperlicious
10-04-2010, 11:16 AM
One more note...I can tell the bluestreet is either a Vikings or Bears fan. Focusing on EVERY problem the Packers had while at the same time giving little to no credit for WINNING THE GAME, even with ALL THE MISCUES.

bluestree
10-04-2010, 12:05 PM
One more note...I can tell the bluestreet is either a Vikings or Bears fan. Focusing on EVERY problem the Packers had while at the same time giving little to no credit for WINNING THE GAME, even with ALL THE MISCUES.

Negatory, good buddy. Check the patch (suppose I could be a double agent), I was born and raised in Northern Wisconsin, and have been a life long Packer fan. The only thing I don't like about Wisconsin is the weather. If I seemed critical, it was only for the sake of honesty. Fair and Balanced, as they say. OK, I guess that phrase has been dragged through the mud, but if I'm posting on the Pack or any other team I try to focus on the football, and the Packers have some issues to address. And I think they will, as best as they can. I save my cheering for when I'm watching the game.
All that aside, I'm in total agreement with your first post. It is very early, and there's a plenty of time to get it fixed. Winning ugly is what good teams do, right now you need the W, it is during that playoff run that you need to get your groove on. Worst to first in the NFL is not a great distance, unlike college ball, any given Sunday and all that.
So no worries, I'm not a stealth Bears or (finger down throat) Vikings fan. Just tryin' to keep it real. No homer.

Ripperlicious
10-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Fellow Northern Wisconsin born here too. I see your point and reasoning. I agree that for some reason, even with all the time and effort put into the special teams, they still underperform on Sundays. What gives? Sooner or later, you gotta point to the special teams coach I guess. I don't think McCarthy is a big fan of replacing coaches though. He stuck with Bob Sanders 2 years too long. Defensively, we have the talent. I'm a little concerned with Caper's play calling. It seems too predictable. The reason Belichek let him go was because Dom couldn't adjust to the Wildcat (pure speculation on my part), but my point is, not sure about Dom's in-game adjustments (see Wild Card game vs. Arizona last year). It's like the opponents O-coordinator always has a good plan.

bluestree
10-04-2010, 02:27 PM
As far as special teams goes, game day roster has something to do with it. There are always choices to be made between who can we get into rotation versus who's the better special teamer. Also it's a matter of the time spent on special teams drills during the week. Always choices to be made. That's true of all the units. Say you want to install some Wildcat, where do you take the time from? Two minute drill, special teams? That's what falls to the head man, you can only do so much, with so many guys. That said, if things don't improve on special teams this year I don't know how you could keep Slocum. He was promoted from within, and maybe that was a mistake.
The word on Capers is his defenses become predictable, but it takes a while to get to that point. His scheme is very much like what Dick LeBeau runs in Pittsburgh, and it works well for them year in, year out. There are the inherent weaknesses in the 34, just like there are strengths. Bottom line is it's a personnell driven scheme. You need the nose guy to be just so, you need the OLB's to have that pass ruch knack, you need the horses. But you're correct IMO. Capers isn't fooling anybody, his 34 is what it is. It's one of the reasons they'll muddle about before lining up as long as they can, especially when they run the one D lineman formation, Chaos, because when they set the QB can mostly tell who's coming.

GoBigOrGoHome
10-04-2010, 05:38 PM

Welcome to my nightmare. The curse of Bobby Layne +3 and counting.

SpartaChris
10-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Seriously, I hope we're just off to a slow start like we were last season. I do think it's time to stick Bulaga and Lang on the line and sit Clifton and Tauscher. Just seems like those two are breaking down, and I'd rather go young with some veteran backup than risk losing our veterans to injury for the season.

GoBigOrGoHome
10-05-2010, 12:09 AM
Seriously, I hope we're just off to a slow start like we were last season. I do think it's time to stick Bulaga and Lang on the line and sit Clifton and Tauscher. Just seems like those two are breaking down, and I'd rather go young with some veteran backup than risk losing our veterans to injury for the season.

I hate the Packers. They are still my pick to win the NFC this year.

SpartaChris
10-08-2010, 10:34 PM
I hate the Packers. They are still my pick to win the NFC this year.

Awww. The Packers still love you though! =)

DannyMilk
10-09-2010, 12:11 AM
I like the Packers too, but the thing that bothers me is that they are dropping like flies it seems.

SpartaChris
10-09-2010, 02:20 PM
I like the Packers too, but the thing that bothers me is that they are dropping like flies it seems.

Bothers YOU? Try being a Packer fan for the last three years and seeing your team constantly lose people for the season. Not sure if that's due to poor training, bad luck or both, but it's really friggin old.

DannyMilk
10-10-2010, 11:19 PM
Bothers YOU? Try being a Packer fan for the last three years and seeing your team constantly lose people for the season. Not sure if that's due to poor training, bad luck or both, but it's really friggin old.

haha...keep in mind we had Mike Brown...year.....after year..............after year