PDA

View Full Version : Tailgating Traditions

BuckeyeRidley
08-19-2010, 01:00 AM
The time is coming soon!! What are your favorite tailgating traditions? What foods do you like to eat? What games do you play? Also, do you even go into the venue to watch the game or do you just listen to the radio or watch it on TV from your ride? I'm not mad if you just watch in the lot! :star:

ElShay
08-19-2010, 03:55 AM
Beer Brats, Buffalo Wings and a frosty beer. Cant go wrong with that.

BuckeyeRidley
08-19-2010, 06:47 AM
Love the response! Simple & ready to to go!

What is the most unusual food seen or eaten at a Tailgate party? Are college tailgates better than pros?

Polishguy00
08-19-2010, 08:02 AM
Cooked animal over something that resembles a grill. It could be a pile of sticks with an old bike tire hovering over top. If I can cook animal on it, I will eat it. Some version of pork is necessary, whether it bacon, pulled pork, whatever. Chips and salsa for easy eating. Large amounts of beer. A football to throw. Beanbag board set (Cornhole to us Ohioans).

Kosar19
08-19-2010, 01:55 PM
The group I usually go with we take a grill, a deep fryer (turkey size), and a propane smoker. Generally we start out early in the morning by cooking breakfast on the grill (eggs, bacon, sausage, hashbrowns) and while we're doing that we get the ribs going on the smoker. This ensures the ribs will be ready at halftime. We will usually bring either a turkey or what seems like a metric ton of chicken wings to fry, along with the standard grill fare. The key is that anything is allowed in the fryer. And the more beer consumed, the more that ends up frying. And then, we top it all off with our favorite tailgate treat, beer-battered deep-fried Twinkies.

We don't get to go to more than one game a year (we used to do this several times a year), unfortunately. We're spread throughout the country a bit, so we usually don't actually go into the game. We have more fun watching on the TV in the parking lot and hanging out/catching up. It's one of my favorite days every year.

MattBer2c
08-19-2010, 02:01 PM
I have never seen anything more impressive than the tailgate at Baton Rouge before an LSU-Florida game. Wow! Tents were everywhere, all cooking great food and drinking cheap beer. People were making gator gumbo, gator sausage, everything! They even had an actual alligator head by one guy's tent.

My routine it usually just to show up, buy food, and talk to the pros(well, I guess they're just fans, haha). I can't afford the fancy set-ups that these guys have.

Colts01
08-19-2010, 02:14 PM
I have never seen anything more impressive than the tailgate at Baton Rouge before an LSU-Florida game. Wow! Tents were everywhere, all cooking great food and drinking cheap beer. People were making gator gumbo, gator sausage, everything! They even had an actual alligator head by one guy's tent.

I lived in Shreveport for 2 years and when LSU played in the independence bowl the entire parking lot was one big Tailgate party for 2 days before the game.LSU knows how to throw a party no doubt.

atnelson928
08-19-2010, 05:22 PM
State College, PA on a sunny, 60-degree October afternoon. Perfect. And this is coming from a Badger... Madison is great but there really isn't any space around Camp Randall. Some of the houses south of Regent can be fun, but it just lacks the overall atmosphere at Penn State.

I've had some good times drinking beers on some random lawn near Lambeau. I don't think any NFL tailgate can come close to the college experience, though.

F-minus goes to Minnesota. I haven't been to TCF yet, but the Metrodome and surrounding areas were one of the worst tailgating/pregame areas I have ever seen.

BuckeyeRidley
08-20-2010, 08:41 AM
Cooked animal over something that resembles a grill. It could be a pile of sticks with an old bike tire hovering over top. If I can cook animal on it, I will eat it. Some version of pork is necessary, whether it bacon, pulled pork, whatever. Chips and salsa for easy eating. Large amounts of beer. A football to throw. Beanbag board set (Cornhole to us Ohioans).

You got it with the Cornhole Man!! I'm ok at it but I know that there is a certain skill for it that people have that I respect. I wonder if its wrong to have an all vegan tailgate? The veggies could be grilled, right?

Polishguy00
08-20-2010, 08:56 AM
You got it with the Cornhole Man!! I'm ok at it but I know that there is a certain skill for it that people have that I respect. I wonder if its wrong to have an all vegan tailgate? The veggies could be grilled, right?

There are certain cities where a veggie tailgate is allowed. I checked with management and Ohio does not have a single city on the list. Please check the state boards for other states to find out if the city you plan on having it in is on the list. Things such as a blackened salmon salad would be allowed. Basically, as long as the salad has a version of meat piled on top (no tofu), then it is still okay.

BuckeyeRidley
08-20-2010, 09:09 AM
There are certain cities where a veggie tailgate is allowed. I checked with management and Ohio does not have a single city on the list. Please check the state boards for other states to find out if the city you plan on having it in is on the list. Things such as a blackened salmon salad would be allowed. Basically, as long as the salad has a version of meat piled on top (no tofu), then it is still okay.

LOL!! That sounds cool! Salsa is a good friend and so is corn on the cob! Would an all dessert tailgate be good?

Polishguy00
08-20-2010, 10:14 AM
LOL!! That sounds cool! Salsa is a good friend and so is corn on the cob! Would an all dessert tailgate be good?

Yes, as long as one of those desserts is chocolate covered bacon. You get your meat and pork in one crunchy chocolate bite.

TheLinc
08-20-2010, 01:59 PM
Landshark Stadium is no Orange Bowl, but for U games we always set up big tents with grills and satellites to get the job done. We get student passes so we are always sprinting back out to the parking lot from out section between quarters to, uh...refuel. For away games, if we don't road trip it, we usually pull couches and tables into our front yard to partake in some shenanigans. The neighborhood of Calle Ocho we live in usually shuts the block down and parties like Mardi Gras on Saturdays - predominantly Cubans, fantastic food, great families, lots of laughs. Definitely good friends to have when you own a grill, our island friends to the South know how to cook ;)

BuckeyeRidley
08-20-2010, 02:07 PM
Landshark Stadium is no Orange Bowl, but for U games we always set up big tents with grills and satellites to get the job done. We get student passes so we are always sprinting back out to the parking lot from out section between quarters to, uh...refuel. For away games, if we don't road trip it, we usually pull couches and tables into our front yard to partake in some shenanigans. The neighborhood of Calle Ocho we live in usually shuts the block down and parties like Mardi Gras on Saturdays - predominantly Cubans, fantastic food, great families, lots of laughs. Definitely good friends to have when you own a grill, our island friends to the South know how to cook ;)

Very Cool Linc; I like it when authentic food comes into the picture and there are good times as the main dish! I've always loved the way that the tailgating parties in the lot are an event all their own and people do it whether or not they got a ticket to the game. Shutting down the block is Cool too!

StaggerMcTipsy
08-21-2010, 05:29 PM

I have all-vegan tailgates all the time. Beer is vegan.