PDA

View Full Version : Packers 2012 cut down

edave
08-25-2012, 02:19 AM
Let's argue about the roster changes to come here.

edave
08-25-2012, 02:27 AM
Playing 4 years on the OL and DL I can tell you first hand you get gassed quickly. A good rotation mitigates that and if we have one with Raji, Wynn, Worthy, Muir, Pickett, and Merling, watch our pass d become respectable again.

I think that the pecking order right now is (based mostly on playing time and who they play with):

Pickett, Raji, Wilson, Merling, Muir, Worthy, Daniels, Wynn, Neal, Guy and Jones.

The Packers want 8 and can easily keep 6. I believe Wynn is likely gone; too bad, I've always liked his effort and attitude. Daniels becomes the bubble guy. I need to research how a suspended player effects the final 53 (I don't think he does) and the salary cap (owed monies are booked at interesting times) but Mike Neal could go off to serve his suspension and the team could basically pretend they never heard of him until week 5.

packa7x
08-25-2012, 11:47 AM
Suspended guys: Do not count against the 53, do not get paid for the duration of the suspension (though the guaranteed money counts vs the cap)...they're going to do that with Neal and Walden. Neal will make the roster because of tat and if he's healthy, he could possibly contribute. I don't trust him though. I think the DL unit is...

Raji, Pickett, Merling, Worthy, Wilson, Muir with a decision on Neal after his suspension.

SpartaChris
08-25-2012, 12:17 PM
Packa is correct in that suspended guys don't count against the teams 53 man roster.

I was a bit surprised to see Hargrove was cut yesterday until I heard about him becoming disgruntled over the lack of reps in games and practice. The Packers aren't generally a team who puts up with head cases, and with Hargrove missing the first half of the season, there was no real reason for the team to have him take reps from players who will see the field in the early part of the season. I think it's possible he could become a late season pickup should we suffer the injury bug at the position.

The Herb Taylor cut doesn't surprise me. The guy's a turnstile and we need a wall at the position.

edave
08-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Say hello to your #2 QB, Graham Harrell.

It's a bit uglier with the remnant OL but there is no way he's getting cut tomorrow.

edave
08-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Which WR (if any) would you keep tomorrow?

o Boykin
o Gurley
o Borel
o Moss

I added Moss because Bill Huber was raving about him on a podcast I listened to last night.

I'd like to see Boykin stick around, but can see just about any combination come to pass with some claiming happen as they hit the waiver wire.

Ragar
08-30-2012, 10:59 PM
I think Gurley makes the team, and Borel is picked up by somebody, unless Jones is somehow traded to Miami (per the NFLN rumor), tehn both Borel and Gurley make the teeam. Boykin and Moss are to teh practice squad, unless Minnesota goes after Moss.

SpartaChris
08-30-2012, 11:04 PM
I'm still watching the game, but I thought Boykin looked like the best receiver of the night, at least in the first half.

Also, am I crazy for feeling like maybe our offense is a bit out of sync? Starters go three and out in both series tonight.. WTF?

Ragar
08-30-2012, 11:14 PM
definitely out of sync at times. We still tend to be feast or famine, even when pluggin on all cylinders, which we are not right now.

edave
08-30-2012, 11:48 PM
@Ragar

Twitter was, well, atwitter with people bouncing the Jones trade rumor around too. The Dolphins do have a new round 2 next season. I dearly hope it doesn't happen.

As for claimants, Minnesota is one I hadn't thought about. We know Indy is going to grab talent they think will help and Miami is desperate. For that matter the Jet's need someone to catch a ball thrown in their direction and Boykin fits that bill.

@SpartaChris

Not crazy at all as last year was mostly a very long anomaly. The O is like an old Jag and has been since 2007 or so (definitely 2008); it's a purring machine when it gets rolling but it can be cranky about getting out the garage some days. Remember beating the Jets 9-0 and losing to Detroit 3-7 in 2010. Or just remember KC last year.

SpartaChris
08-31-2012, 09:56 AM
Something else that concerned me as I attempt to read way too much into a preseason game: The inability of the Packers to stop the friggin run during the period the starters were playing. KC was just moving the ball at will down the field, and it was kind of frustrating seeing them pick up big chunks of yardage on the ground like it was no big deal.

packa7x
08-31-2012, 06:43 PM
I'm still watching the game, but I thought Boykin looked like the best receiver of the night, at least in the first half.

Also, am I crazy for feeling like maybe our offense is a bit out of sync? Starters go three and out in both series tonight.. WTF?

Looks like you had a good eye. Boykin stays.

packa7x
08-31-2012, 06:44 PM
Something else that concerned me as I attempt to read way too much into a preseason game: The inability of the Packers to stop the friggin run during the period the starters were playing. KC was just moving the ball at will down the field, and it was kind of frustrating seeing them pick up big chunks of yardage on the ground like it was no big deal.

Raji and Clay were pulled early, that probably didn't help.

edave
08-31-2012, 08:14 PM
Raji and Clay were pulled early, that probably didn't help.

It sounds like Raji's ankle is going to be OK but I hate him having that kind of setback after the great camp he'd had. With Muir being released things are going to be tricky if BJ is hobbled for a bit.

Ragar
08-31-2012, 08:25 PM
Really surprised at the release of Gurley.

Only other roster moves that had mgoing hmmm were teh OL. Sounds like we shall be active later

edave
08-31-2012, 09:34 PM
They're official now...

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Packers-announce-roster-moves/3adda071-0fa7-41f3-847c-a1a914c94005

The final three:

Sherrod to PUP
So’oto to IR
Coleman was released

Manning made the team and I have no idea why.

edave
08-31-2012, 09:48 PM
The roster is updated if you like. You'll notice we've gone starvin' Marvin on the OL.

I missed on Richardson, Manning, Muir, Daniels, Wells and Van Roten.

I anticipate a number of changes over the weekend and into Monday and didn't even bother taking a shot at the practice squad yet.

packa7x
08-31-2012, 11:52 PM
The roster is updated if you like. You'll notice we've gone starvin' Marvin on the OL.

I missed on Richardson, Manning, Muir, Daniels, Wells and Van Roten.

I anticipate a number of changes over the weekend and into Monday and didn't even bother taking a shot at the practice squad yet.

That's good news for Sherrod. Probably means he's very close.

edave
09-01-2012, 01:38 AM
That's good news for Sherrod. Probably means he's very close.

Well... that means he's untouchable for 6 weeks. We have 7 on OL right now. I and everyone else I read expect that to change soon.

And I got to see my first HS game of the year.

packa7x
09-01-2012, 07:08 AM
It's good for Sherrod seeing as not thought it'd be a season ending injury for this season too.

packa7x
09-01-2012, 07:09 AM
And you watch HS football in SoCal?

edave
09-01-2012, 11:06 AM
And you watch HS football in SoCal?

Yep. This isn't Texas but HS Football is a pretty big deal here.

When my oldest son was playing a while back, I realized that the level of play and talent was far better than I'd seen as a kid and quite enjoyed watching it apart from the parental responsibilities.

There are a constant run of camps and 7 on 7 leagues during the off season and the local league has been pretty consistently good. As a result, I've watched a number of kids go on to have NFL careers of a sort. The results are continually perplexing, I don't know how recruiters and scouts deal with it.

The best young kicker I ever saw decided to forgo punting (what I thought he did best) at Arizona State and wound up being just a little too erratic to get through his first camp at the NFL level. I guess he got too enamored of the 60+ yard field goals he liked to kick in practice all the time.

‪David Anderson‬ was not someone that figured to have a career beyond college, yet he played well enough over several seasons with the Texans. Marc Tyler was a monster in HS, bigger and faster than anyone else; we'll have to see what the future holds for him. His QB was a punk named Jimmy Clausen (and maybe Nick Montana, I can't remember when Montana was around). Rudy Carpenter is still bouncing around and may yet wind up on the Cowboys PS.

The biggest local success of recent vintage is Clay Matthews III and he barely showed up at the HS level. Playing for a league doormat didn't help.

I know I'm forgetting someone... ah yes, Ricky Elmore. He got released by San Diego yesterday.

edave
09-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Practice Squad:

Coleman (QB), Borel (WR), Tyler (RB), Bostick (TE), Van Roten (G), Datko (T), Guy (DT)

One slot remains open.

packa7x
09-02-2012, 05:40 PM
I spend a ton of time here in the HS football scene. I do the chains for the team I played for. We haven't had nobody great come out of here...pretty much just LJ Smith out of Highland Park, NJ and Jesse Holly from the Roselle Rams. Mohammad Wilkerson from Linden, NJ too.