PDA

View Full Version : How much do you read into Preseason Games?

imiweli
08-20-2010, 06:06 AM
The preseason is really there to shake of the rust, try a few plays and give chances to guys on the fringe of the roster

Still the first few series between the first units are reasonably contested, despite most teams not all-out blitzing (except for the Chargers haha)

So how much do you read into the preseason? Do the performances of your team effect your perspective on how your team will do for the season?

As a Patriots fan, I myself have been very impressed by the play of the first unit. And it really has made me more optimistic on our chances for this year.

Polishguy00
08-20-2010, 07:22 AM
For the up-and-comers, I see how they play against players they should play well against. For the first team, I just look for timing on pass routes and basic status of the run blocking. The plans are so vanilla that everything should look smooth. I watch the little things like how Tebow changed back to he baseball pitching machine windup under pressure.

Wordsworth
08-20-2010, 03:27 PM
I don't base any team predictions on team performance in the preseason. I take it solely on an individual level, and mostly with the second stringers on down the depth chart to the fringe guys. I like to see what they bring to the table and get a feeling of which lesser known players might have the skills to fill out the roster. That is mostly all I think you can take from preseason that can be informational heading into the regular season. It's always a crap shoot with who wins or loses.

Colts01
08-20-2010, 03:34 PM
Lol for the Colts,other then a few individuals NOT alot!

Denver
01-24-2011, 09:27 PM
I do not pay much attention to it. I think it is a time to find those depth-chart fillers. It is nice to give some of the non starters some playing time. That is why I do not think it is worth reading into. Because teams play non starter to get them playing time. They also often have things they would like to work on, so no matter what they run specific plays to see how they work.

GoBigOrGoHome
01-24-2011, 09:32 PM
Before you consider the preseason as a serious barometer of your favorite team's future, know the following. The 2008 Detroit Lions went 4-0 in the preseason. Then they went 0-16 in the regular season. End of discussion.

msclemons
01-24-2011, 09:34 PM
The 49ers were 4-0 in the preseason. That worked out well.

The 49ers also came out of the preseason convinced that Alex Smith was the right QB for 2010. That also worked out well.

So, basically, preseason is useless.