PDA

View Full Version : Patriots Underrated?

imiweli
07-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Is it just me or are the Patriots extremely underrated this year?

They have improved in every aspect from last year, some including

- Brady will be better two years from the ACL
- Moss in a contract year, finally have a 3rd WR, Welker injury won't be as bad as everyone is saying
- One of the youngest defenses in the league will be a year older/wiser
- Another great draft

For me the AFC C'ship still goes through Indy or the Ravens, but the Pats are right behind.

and the Jets are grossly overrated

Chilly
07-03-2010, 01:04 AM
[this is coming from a Patriots fan]

The Patriots are thought of largely as they ought to be: a contender--nothing more, nothing less. The offense is getting older, while the defense is still a couple years too young. Quite a predicament, huh? The draft was a good one, but only for future years--not this one. You can expect the Patriots to still put up lots of points, and the defense will have its bright spots. Moss is getting to the point where his age hinders his agility and lateral movement to the point that it cancels out his straightaway speed. Welker should be fine, not to mention that Edelman showed that he can do his part in filling in for him as he recovers.

My problem is that this team's defense is far from reliable, and the Patriots did not win three championships with an unreliable, shaky defense. It gives up lots of big plays, even though it seems to practice a 'bend but not break' mentality. It also doesn't force many turnovers. It will be better next year, but not to the point that it can get the Patriots to the Super Bowl.

As far as the Jets comment--I think that there are three legitimate contenders for the AFC East title, who are relatively equal. I made a bet with my buddy, a diehard Jets fan, over who would win the division. I think it was a fair bet, with the odds even between the two. I could easily see the Patriots or Jets coming away with the division title, and it wouldn't be that far of a stretch for the Dolphins to 'surprise' everyone about it.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

DannyMilk
07-03-2010, 01:44 AM
[this coming from a Bears fan]

I've liked the Pats for a while...not a bandwagon fan, but I'd say since 98 or so...I think they are a 10-6 team or an 11-5 team...they aren't great, could be scary in the playoffs...I think BRADY is underrated, in real life AND in fantasy leagues...always has been to me, and that's why I grab him every year, and even though he ****ed me over by getting hurt, I still pick him haha...as for the Jets and Dolphins, the Jets are not underrated...could they go 9-7, yes. Could they also go 13-3? To me, absolutely. That defense is SCARY, Sanchez has more experience, etc etc...I hate the Dolphins, just personally...not sure what it is to be honest, just never really cared for anything about them haha, so I'm not going to pretend to know their entire roster, but a very intriguing thing I just noticed and posted about on a different thread, if you look at the Jets, Dolphins, and Pats schedules weeks 10-16, the Dolphins schedule is SO MUCH EASIER than the Pats and Jets, so if the Dolphins can maintain 1st place going into week 10, I think it will be very tough for the Pats and Jets to catch them, and then week 17 may decide positioning/wild cards with the Dolphins and Pats facing off in Foxborough, while the Jets host the Bills in a game they SHOULD win.

imiweli
07-03-2010, 05:07 AM
I don't see how the offense is too old
Brady is 32 which as Manning, Favre have shown is not too old for an elite QB
and other than Moss no-one else is that old
Welker, Edelman, Tate, Price, Vollmer, Gronkowski, Hernandez all have many years to give

I see the Pats offense doing very well this year. Last year they were far too predictable, but with three new Tight Ends expect much more 2-TE formations, which will provide mistmatches.

HyroShamy
07-03-2010, 05:50 PM
The Patriots have not improved in every aspect since the beginning of last year. I am fairly certain that Wes Welker isn't going to be better after tearing his ACL. Moss is getting old. Gerrard Warren or whoever starts at RDE is not an upgrade over Richard Seymour. The Patriots have a lot of young players who could contribute, but they also have players that are going to drop off in the near future, like Warren, Moss, Light, Faulk, and Neal.
Also, last year, people convinced themselves that Galloway, Taylor, Thomas and Springs could make a significant contribution to the Patriots and rated the Patriots higher because of this. Now the Patriots are building with youth, and pundits discount young players until they prove themselves.
I personally think that Brady will be better, but Wes Welker is going to miss half the season at least and Moss could drop off. I think they have as good a chance of doing worse this season as they do of improving.

Chilly
07-04-2010, 12:50 AM
I don't see how the offense is too old

The O-Line minus Vollmer is old, Brady and Welker have sustained injuries recently, and a lot of the players you named probably aren't ready to contribute quite yet.

Cris Collinsworth
07-04-2010, 03:14 PM
Patriots as an underdog is a scary proposition. I wrote on another thread that the more confident the Jets get, the more I like the Patriots. However, if Moss isn't happy and Welker is not healthy, Brady may have issues.

bluestree
07-04-2010, 03:29 PM
No longer see the Pats as and elite team. I see the Jets having a letdown after last season (where's the offense?). I think the AFC East has slipped a bit in general. I should mention I almost always turn out to be wrong.

DannyMilk
07-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Same boat bluestree...I can't wait to look back on this in 4 months and sit back and laugh at how dumb my thoughts were

Chilly
07-04-2010, 06:12 PM
I hesitate to call them an elite team, but they definitely would be at the top of the next 'tier.' Once I hit my post-minimum, I'll do a [way-too-early] power rankings blog. If I had to guess right now, they'd be sitting in the 4-8 range, alongside the Chargers, Jets, Ravens and Cowboys. Need to look into it a bit more, however.

nickmillon
07-05-2010, 01:11 AM
I am a big Patriots fan, but im not one of those people that hates every rival of the pats. I actually really like the Giants team that beat the pats because of how many good players they had that year. That being said, I think the patriots will be a contender, but not a real threat to go to the super bowl. I like to compare them to the spurs: a yearly contender with some of the best players and great management, but injuries and age have stopped them from going as far as they would like to

DannyMilk
07-05-2010, 03:22 AM
I am a big Patriots fan, but im not one of those people that hates every rival of the pats. I actually really like the Giants team that beat the pats because of how many good players they had that year. That being said, I think the patriots will be a contender, but not a real threat to go to the super bowl. I like to compare them to the spurs: a yearly contender with some of the best players and great management, but injuries and age have stopped them from going as far as they would like to

Does that make Brandon Meriweather the Pats version of Bruce Bowen? haha

InNOutBurgler
07-05-2010, 05:54 AM

Well...I am a Dolphins fan and much as I hate to say it...I have never been able to despise the Pats because of the reasons you allude to with the Spurs comparison. I think they have another run or two left in them as long as Brady stays healthy and Welker can come back (I'll never forgive the fins for that trade!) I think the Dolphins are a year away from making a real run and maybe furthur if Ronnie Brown can't stay on the field. The Jets...the Jets talk too much and I'll take the well oiled machine and quiet professionalism of the Pats any day over those jokers. If the Phins can't make a run...I'll be pulling for the Pats, just so I can laugh at Jets fans.

TommyBry
07-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Pats have a killer schedule this year. Jets are the media darlings right now and I see that as a good thing. Brady's knee will be better, some of the bad apples in the locker room are gone (A.D, Springs) and hopefully they are still embarrassed by the Ravens game