PDA

View Full Version : Regular season Week 5- Vikings @ Jets- 10/11/10

Colts01
08-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Jets 29 Vikings 20

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/djerc7/VikingsJets.jpg

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Brett Favre brushed off a miserable start with a milestone night that almost led Minnesota back, but Dwight Lowery returned an interception 26 yards for a touchdown with 1:30 left as the New York Jets (4-1) beat the Vikings 29-20 on Monday night.

Favre became the first NFL player to throw 500 touchdown passes and for 70,000 yards, but two early fumbles against his former team led to two field goals that helped put the Vikings (1-3) in a 12-0 hole.

Favre's big night came hours after he apologized to teammates for the distraction caused by an NFL investigation into allegations that he sent racy messages and lewd photos to a Jets game hostess in 2008.

He connected with Randy Moss from 37 yards out late in the third to cut the Jets' lead to 12-7. Less than 5 minutes later, Favre hit Percy Harvin for a 34-yard touchdown. Favre's 2-point conversion try was intercepted.

bluestree
10-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Besides the obvious football implications there is a lot of backstory to this game, with Favre having played one season with the Jets, a season that was first up then down, with an unhappy ending in more ways than one. As you may recall, there were critical comments from Jet players about Favre after he left the team, one he did not expect to be traded to, regarding Brett keeping himself separate from the team, and later the following summer when Favre's loose lips resulted in fines for GM Mike Tannenbaum and Eric Mangini. Here's a take from NY Daily News' Mike Celizic;

You mention Brett Favre to a veteran player on the New York Jets, and you get a roll of the eyes or a shrug of the shoulders. You mention reports that have Favre telling Minnesota Viking teammates that he's planning to retire (again), and you get this:

"That's (bull), stringing them along this far," one player told me after Tuesday morning's practice.

It seems like ages ago, but Favre played for the Jets in 2008. He played well for 11 games, but he hurt his throwing shoulder (the Manginis kept it a secret) and played like garbage over the final five games. It cost the Jets a playoff spot and it cost Eric Mangini his job.

In retrospect, some players feel Favre acted selfishly. They believe he kept playing only because he wanted to maintain his Ironman streak. In other words, he put himself over the team. Two years later, there is no love lost.

In fairness to Brett, I've read Celizic comments regarding Favre going back to Brett's days with Green Bay, and I don't think he was ever a fan of Lord Favre. But given the reports that have appeared in the NY media, it is clear there are veteran players on the Jets that would not be upset to see Favre carted off the field, so don't be surprised by a heavy dose of Adrian Peterson and some max protection schemes against an always aggressive Jet's defense.
This shapes up as an intriguing matchup, with the Vikings needing to take advantage of the bye week, not fall any farther behind in the division, and a stretch of very tough games in the next month or so.
What could possibly make this game more interesting? How about Deanna Favre running into Jenn Sterger in the press box? While Sterger is younger and is moving quicker since her implants were removed, Deanna is genuine dirty south, and my money says she comes away with an apology and a fistfull of hair.

Pruitt
10-04-2010, 11:20 AM
This should be a hell of a game. The Jets fans will be frothing at the mouth, and with the sad state of the Vikings receiving corps, it could be a very long night for Favre.

I must say however, that Favre playing through an injury is really not a cause for the Daily News writer to rag on him. It is what NFL players are expected to do. Celizic would be *****ing about Favre if he pulled himself out of the games.

bluestree
10-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Glad I wasted time writing all that other crap about this game, now it's going to be about Jenn Sterger. Who'd have figured that Deadspin would do the follow up of it's September revelation right before this game? Hmmmm....
Will the Vikings be able to focus on a tough opponent with the circus still in town? Will Moss be able to help Brett get his mojo back?
As if it wasn't looking dicey enough, Favre was not a full participant with tendinitis in his right elbow. Something caused by missing camp? Brett had the same problem one September in Green Bay when his offseason throwing program wasn't right.

brauneyz
10-09-2010, 12:19 AM
Blues, as a GB fan, you've got to be eating up this week's developments. Favre's being vivisected, while Jets get back Holmes and maybe Revis. As CC said on Sunday night, put a tent on this circus!

bluestree
10-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Blues, as a GB fan, you've got to be eating up this week's developments. Favre's being vivisected, while Jets get back Holmes and maybe Revis. As CC said on Sunday night, put a tent on this circus!

Actually my dear, I'm being quite mature about this situation, realizing that this is a serious issue regarding dignity in the workplace.

Now if you'll excuse me....I feel like it's time for my happy dance!

SpartaChris
10-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Actually my dear, I'm being quite mature about this situation, realizing that this is a serious issue regarding dignity in the workplace.

Now if you'll excuse me....I feel like it's time for my happy dance!

I'm right there with ya. I'm trying to maintain a logical, unbiased stance in my postings, but I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't smiling in the background because I feel like karma is finally paying good 'ol #4 a visit for all the crap he's pulled over the past couple years.

If this situation shows us anything though, it's that he really is just a kid out there. =)

brauneyz
10-09-2010, 03:07 PM
I'm right there with ya. I'm trying to maintain a logical, unbiased stance in my postings, but I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't smiling in the background because I feel like karma is finally paying good 'ol #4 a visit for all the crap he's pulled over the past couple years.

If this situation shows us anything though, it's that he really is just a kid out there. =)
Geez, how about just football karma then, like wishing he'd get picked off 8 times or something? :p

This is just ugly on so many levels. No matter how it plays out, innocent people on both sides get hurt, and under a microscope, no less. Another example of society at its less than finest. I hate stuff like this!

Signed,
Brauneyz, in denial, hoping for a good (and not the last) season.

SpartaChris
10-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Geez, how about just football karma then, like wishing he'd get picked off 8 times or something? :p

This is just ugly on so many levels. No matter how it plays out, innocent people on both sides get hurt, and under a microscope, no less. Another example of society at its less than finest. I hate stuff like this!

Signed,
Brauneyz, in denial, hoping for a good (and not the last) season.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'd much rather see his play on the field suffer because of this than see his family endure the inevitable humiliation and embarrassment that's to come. If there was a way to have this mess only affect him and no one else, I'd be all for it. I am totally sympathetic to his wife and kids. It's unfortunate that he put them in this position. Allegedly.

Ragar
10-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Unfourtunately, FAvre tends to thrive when it's his back to the wall, be it injury tragedy, etc. It's only when he has everythign going for him does he self destruct.

Do I want the Jets to win this game, yes. Would I place any money on this game, with or without a line, nope. Should be entertaining to both watch, and see how the booth handles the allegations against him.

And the smile that goes across my face everytime I read another article...

msclemons
10-09-2010, 07:26 PM
So many story lines in this game...

Will the old pudslinger come out on fire or will he be shooting blanks?
Can Favre man up against a tough Jets D or will he come up short?
Does the addition of Moss add a deep threat that Favre has yet to display?

I am so loving this.

NorseOfCourse
10-09-2010, 07:38 PM
Vikings will B...E...A...T, BEAT BEAT BEAT the jets jets jets.

SpartaChris
10-09-2010, 08:19 PM

I am so loving this.

Pretty sure the Vikings won't find themselves in 3rd and long much..

brauneyz
10-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Pretty sure the Vikings won't find themselves in 3rd and long much..

That's totally disgusting.

... and hilarious. :p

KabaModernFan
10-09-2010, 09:21 PM
The best part is that this doesn't even come CLOSE to the worst penis-related scandal in Vikings history. If you were ranking them it would look like this:

1) The Love Boat Incident
2) Favre/Sterger
3) Visanthe Shiancoe in the locker room for 2.7 seconds

brauneyz
10-09-2010, 09:42 PM
The best part is that this doesn't even come CLOSE to the worst penis-related scandal in Vikings history. If you were ranking them it would look like this:

2) Favre/Sterger

I think your #3 ties with Chris Cooley's self-imposed plumbing shot! I mean, Shiancoe was a victim of of the careless media, but Cooley took matters into his own hands. :p

SpartaChris
10-09-2010, 09:57 PM

2) Favre/Sterger

Don't forget the Whizzinator, easily tied for #1.

SpartaChris
10-09-2010, 09:58 PM
That's totally disgusting.

... and hilarious. :p

Coulda said they may find themselves in a lot of "4"th and short situations.

/rimshot

SpartaChris
10-09-2010, 09:59 PM
I think your #3 ties with Chris Cooley's self-imposed plumbing shot! I mean, Shiancoe was a victim of of the careless media, but Cooley took matters into his own hands. :p

/rimshot

KabaModernFan
10-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Don't forget the Whizzinator, easily tied for #1.

I totally forgot about the Whizzinator! That has to easily slide into #2, beats Favre/Sterger by a mile. The Vikings are just fantastic, aren't they?

GoBigOrGoHome
10-09-2010, 10:02 PM

I am so loving this.

Utter and complete refutal of the old 'big hands, big johnson' adage.

My buddy's wife is a big Favre fan. I showed her the (alleged) photos and she was ummmmm....underwhelmed? Yeah that'd be about right.

SpartaChris
10-09-2010, 10:12 PM
i totally forgot about the whizzinator! That has to easily slide into #2, beats favre/sterger by a mile. The vikings are just fantastic, aren't they?

lol!

BigDerf
10-12-2010, 12:47 AM
FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRVEEE!!!!! I was playing against Cris in fantasy who won because of that pick six. I also am "very aware" of the spread for the game and "noticed" they would have covered if not for the pick six