PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Fame - In or Out?: Jamal Lewis

KabaModernFan
08-20-2010, 06:28 PM
Jonathan Ogden and Ray Lewis are pretty much slam dunks to make the Hall of Fame, so for Baltimore I had to dig a little deeper. At first, you might not give Jamal Lewis much thought as a Hall of Famer, I didn't either. Then I went through the numbers and saw that he had surpassed plenty of players already in the Hall, most notably Earl Campbell. You still may not say he belongs in the Hall, but either way, he's a more controversial candidate than Primetime.

Player: Jamal Lewis

Résumé:

- 9 seasons in the NFL
- 1 Super Bowl appearance, 1 Super Bowl victory (2000, 27 ATTs - 101 YDs - 1 TD)
- 21st All-Time in rushing yards (20th All-Time: Ricky Watters, 22nd All-Time: Tiki Barber)
- T-42nd All-Time in rushing TDs (T-40th All-Time: Terrell Davis, T-44th All-Time: Earnest Byner)
- Rushed for over 2,000 yards in 2003
- Played for one other team in career (Cleveland Browns)
- 1 Pro Bowl appearance (2003)
- 1 First Team All-Pro selection (2003)
- AP Offensive Player of the Year (2003)

Previous Results:
Kurt Warner - In (81.82%)
Deion Sanders - In (91.3%)

As always, feel free to make your own suggestions as to who else I should include in this series! Especially for Cleveland, not exactly a large talent pool to choose from there.

Wordsworth
08-20-2010, 07:14 PM
When you mentioned him passing Earl I went and looked at the list. Thomas Jones, Ahman Green, and Ricky Williams are all within 600 yards of passing Earl Campbell all-time in yardage. That is a shame to me, because many consider Earl to be one of the all-time greats and he is about to be passed by three guys that wouldn't get serious looks at the hall.

On Jamal, I would vote no for now. He only has 58 rushing TDs in nine seasons, which is pretty weak. He is also tied for 156th all-time in YPC. Also not an impressive number. In his entire career he has topped 1,364 yards only once which was 2003 when he had 2,066 yards. The rest of his seasons are pedestrian, though not unreliabe.

He does hold the second most yards in a single game all-time, which is an impressive performance from his stellar 2003 campaign, but I don't think he makes it right now. He might perhaps in a few years but I don't think he has the resume to walk into the HoF.

DaBearsFan
08-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Interesting, but I'm going with no. I didn't think he was great for long enough, though 2003 was one of the single great RB seasons anyone has ever had.

BuckeyeRidley
08-21-2010, 01:34 AM
Good Work as usual Kaba! I think that the Browns have had Good players come through but not Hall of Famer (Bernie Kosar). Unfortunately, there are some that arrive to Cleveland after their Best has been given and Jamaal is one of them. He's not a Hall of Famer but a guy that deserves respect. I like his running game but he's to be best remembered for his Baltimore days including his "Career Day" in Cleveland numerous seasons ago.

(Its an Honor to be in the Club!)

DannyMilk
08-21-2010, 01:45 AM
I go no as well...oif you take away his one huge yaradage season, you get a better than average but still not even pro-bowl back

Chompurself
08-21-2010, 11:54 AM
No way Lerwis gets in....he had a good career but he's no hall of famer

StaggerMcTipsy
08-21-2010, 04:05 PM
Nope.

One great game or season -- even a couple great games or seasons -- doesn't qualify a player for the HOF. I'm not sure, but I think Willie "Flipper" Anderson still has the record for most receiving yards in a game, and I don't hear anyone clamoring for him to make the ballot.

imiweli
08-21-2010, 08:00 PM
No
Only one great season, not consistent for a long enough time

Ragar
08-21-2010, 08:06 PM
Out.
Another case of a guy who's numbers are good, but not good enough.

FLPackerFan
08-21-2010, 10:00 PM
I would say no to the HOF. I don't think he has the career numbers. If he goes in you have to put in a lot of others too. Next back to go in too me will be Curtis Martin.