PDA

View Full Version : Turk Talk Cont....Location of 2 New NFL Franchises?

DannyMilk
08-21-2010, 02:02 AM
Turk had a great article talking about expansion, and it got me thinking more specifically...where...location, location, location. These cities are just ones that are either growing and don't have a team, an interesting location in my opinion, or a city that has had a team that no longer has one. If I leave one out, I apologize, feel free as always to write in your vote...afterall, I am from Chicago!

BuckeyeRidley
08-21-2010, 02:21 AM
THANKS DANNYMILK!!! You included My Columbus!! Columbus, OH would work because we're a sports city. There's business opportunities that the NFL would like and are already in (Columbus suburb Reynoldsburg, OH based Victoria's Secret Pink has NFL licensed gear). There's a large football fan base and if Florida, California and technically New York can have three teams then why not add the former home of the League's HQ offices as Ohio's 3rd! I think Columbus can handle a brand new team or a team that has moved and with my estimated 2 million plus people in the Columbus area, the exposure and support is here---look at Ohio State!! Great Choice; Good Times!

DannyMilk
08-21-2010, 02:48 AM
I know a lot of it is OSU, but I never realized Columbus' population and how high on the US list they were until a couple years ago when my buddy went there for a convention haha

BubbaLove
08-21-2010, 03:26 AM
THANKS DANNYMILK!!! You included My Columbus!! Columbus, OH would work because we're a sports city. There's business opportunities that the NFL would like and are already in (Columbus suburb Reynoldsburg, OH based Victoria's Secret Pink has NFL licensed gear). There's a large football fan base and if Florida, California and technically New York can have three teams then why not add the former home of the League's HQ offices as Ohio's 3rd! I think Columbus can handle a brand new team or a team that has moved and with my estimated 2 million plus people in the Columbus area, the exposure and support is here---look at Ohio State!! Great Choice; Good Times!

As much as you might like that to happen, we all know it never will. Columbus is the home of The Ohio State Buckeyes! Any pro team that would ever play there would be second fiddle, at best, compared to the Bucks. The NFL would never go there.

BubbaLove
08-21-2010, 03:29 AM
I know a lot of it is OSU, but I never realized Columbus' population and how high on the US list they were until a couple years ago when my buddy went there for a convention haha

When you look at surrounding areas, both Cincinnati and Cleveland are larger.

Andy Freeland
08-21-2010, 10:00 AM
Does it really make sense to put an expansion team in the dead space between Cincinnati and Cleveland (sorry Buckeye) when there isn't a team in LA?

FessJL0861
08-21-2010, 10:12 AM
If any cities got a team, they would have to get them from the crop of always reliably unreliable teams. Relocation I'm ok with, but not addition.

DaBearsFan
08-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Call me crazy, but you missed 2 cities where I would consider putting a franchise, Mexico City and Toronto (I still am hoping that Buffalo stays where they are and Toronto gets there own team). Honestly, I'd put a team in either of those cities above any one you mentioned except maybe LA. Both are big markets which have been relatively untapped by the NFL reach. Expand the game on the continent.

DannyMilk
08-21-2010, 12:57 PM
yeah I was strictly just doing US...I think Toronto would be number 1 for obvious reasons outside the US, but I think Turk mentioned that they felt like it would infringe on the CFL...Mexico City I am just not as informed on....I am pretty sure the NFL played there recently, I vaguely remember, and I think it went over pretty well. I would put a team in Dublin, one because I am Irish haha, but 2 because they have a wide array of nationalities moving in downtown from all over Europe and Africa, there schooling attracts a lot of Americans, and it is a growing city as well. I'm not saying just throw a franchise there, but definitely have a couple exhibition games there...I guarantee the crowds would be larger and more enthused than London's.

buzmeg
08-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Los Angeles has had enough chances. The NFL doesn't work in LaLa land.

L.A. only cares about The Lakers and USC. Remove them from consideration.

Darren83
08-21-2010, 02:48 PM
Talent pool is diluted enough as it is, no?

I could see relocations (Jax to LA) but there is not a sustainable amount of players to fill another 2 53s.

StaggerMcTipsy
08-21-2010, 03:22 PM
Here's the ones I wouldn't vote for:

Columbus: I doubt Ohio could support 3 NFL franchises, and I think any team starting in Columbus would have a hard time building a fan base outside of the city itself considering the Browns, Bengals, & Steelers are all nearby and have generations of fans.

Memphis: Tennessee already has the Titans in Nashville, & I doubt another team would do too well that close by.

San Jose: A third team in the Bay Area? Really?

Louisville: Probably too close to Cincy and probably too small a market to be successful.

San Antonio: First off, it's in Texas so I hate the idea already. But although it'd be nice to divide the Cowboys' or Texans' fan base, I don't know if enough fans would jump ship from their current teams to back one in San An.

Omaha and Oklahoma City: Small markets, but more than that -- what free agent would voluntarily go to either of these cities?

Honolulu: An interesting proposition, but the travel time would be a serious impediment for any team based there. At first I was thinking maybe any visiting team would be so relaxed visiting a tropical paradise that they'd let their guard down, but it rains a ton there during football season so I'm guessing visiting teams would just be even more angered by the fact they couldn't enjoy their visit.

bluestree
08-21-2010, 04:56 PM
Talent pool is diluted enough as it is, no?

I could see relocations (Jax to LA) but there is not a sustainable amount of players to fill another 2 53s.

Any questions?

rxbrown86
08-22-2010, 12:04 AM
I agree with Darren83, move the Jacksonville franchise to LA and keep the league at 32 teams. In addition, make active rosters 53 players and the NFL is just fine. Less is more.

Docta
08-22-2010, 04:17 AM
Voted Honolulu. Hawaii's left out of all our major sports.

Pattrick
08-22-2010, 06:26 AM
Voted Vegas because Mexico City wasn't available. I don't think anyone realizes how well the NFL does down there, add in the fact that every game we've played there (including the preseason) sells out. Those are HUGE stadiums they're selling out too, not some cookie cutter stadium.

Bengals1181
08-22-2010, 11:03 PM

I'm not so sure a NFL team in Columbus would work. OSU is a HUGE draw, plus you have most of the city rooting for either the Bengals or the Browns. Cincy is only 100 miles away, and Cleveland only about 150 or so.

I think you overabsorb the state at that point.

Not to mention that much of the state is struggling with unemployment and people just can't afford to go to games. The Bengals are struggling with attendance even after coming off of a great season.

Bengals1181
08-22-2010, 11:05 PM

Columbus is growing like wildfire. A bustling city with a lot of undeveloped land surrounding it. I'd love to move back there if i had the opportunity.