PDA

View Full Version : NFL International Marketing Plan

Andy Freeland
08-21-2010, 11:19 AM
As Turk pointed out in his article, the NFL has attempted to market the league internationally, but let's be honest, they haven't done a great job. The NFL is really just a novelty oversees. That's about to change, because I'm about to unveil my personal plan for marketing the NFL. To be honest, I have about as much experience in marketing as I have in nuclear (pronounced nucular) medicine, but here it is:

The biggest problem is that they are trying to market the league instead of individual teams. Even if someone in another country is exposed to the NFL and recognizes that it's the greatest sport in the history of the universe, they don't have a rooting interest. They don't have a team to love and, maybe more important, they don't have one to hate.

Phase 1 of my plan would start in Europe. We will identify the 32 largest cities in Europe and assign each NFL team a sister city. The cities will be broken down geographically so that rival NFL teams will be assigned to rival European cities. It will be the responsibility of each team to market themselves in their sister city in the off-season.

We will start, as every good propoganda/brainwashing scheme, with the children. The team will send a couple of their biggest players on a tour of elementary schools in their assigned city. When I say biggest, I'm mean that literally. Not the best or most popular, I want giants, 6-6, 350-pound behemoths. They will talk to the kids, show a video presentation of their team and hand out free t-shirts to every student in every school. When every student has a t-shirt, they will begin associating the team logo with their home town, they will have a team to love. We will then get TV contracts in those cities, 30-minute highlight shows at first, but eventually full games.

Once we have conquered Europe we move on to Asia then Africa then the Pacific Rim with the same plan, to localize the NFL. This will of course lead to our ultimate goal, the goal shared by all true NFL fans - 7 billion members on FPL (but still only 1000 OGs).

As I said, I'm no marketing genius but I think this plan is brilliant. Of course I think all my plans are brilliant, so that probably says more about me than it does about the plan. Let me know what you think and start claiming your European city.

brauneyz
08-21-2010, 11:44 AM
Andy, if that doesn't put you on Roger Goodell's speed-dial, nothing will. Definitely start with the children! Thanks for the chuckles. :)

Colts01
08-21-2010, 12:06 PM
The Colts claim Edinburgh, Scotland.
-The Flag matches our colors
-Lots of pubs nearby the stadium
-Haggis!
-A chance to wear a kilt every sunday!its win/win

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/djerc7/peytoninkilt2222.jpg

Andy Freeland
08-21-2010, 12:14 PM
Peyton does seem like a kilt kind of guy.

For the sake of continuity, I suggest that we give the Colts to Milan, Italy. Then later announce that the Colts have change their minds and are going with Edinburgh instead and Milan will get the Ravens.

StaggerMcTipsy
08-21-2010, 04:18 PM
I think your plan is brilliant, and the Giants get to claim the whole U.K. since the colors match.
http://flagspot.net/images/g/gb.gif

All apologies to the Colts, as Scotland's part of the U.K.

The Colts can have Finland.
http://www.travelblog.org/World/flags/finland-large-flag-fi.gif

Kosar19
08-22-2010, 11:02 PM
The worst part is.....this makes sense. My friend is from Buffalo and he's a big Bills fans, but his son is exposed almost entirely to Browns stuff and he' starting to get hooked. The hitting will bring them in if you give them a team to cheer for and soon the'll realize that our football is sooooooooooooooo much better than their football. FPL AROUND THE WORLD!!!!

msclemons
08-23-2010, 12:22 AM
I think this plan could backfire. Imagine Vince Wolfork visiting kids in Lithuania. They'd be terrified. For the rest of their lives they'd see the NFL as giant Americans coming to eat them. It would be like donning a Godzilla costume and visiting Tokyo.

DannyMilk
08-23-2010, 02:32 AM
Love everything about this post, except for the fact that someone gets stuck having to cheer for the Browns or Rams.....That said, for the Bears I call Dublin (sorry Polishguy)

Andy Freeland
08-23-2010, 08:27 AM
Love everything about this post, except for the fact that someone gets stuck having to cheer for the Browns or Rams.....That said, for the Bears I call Dublin (sorry Polishguy)

Dresden gets the Lions.

Polishguy00
08-23-2010, 08:34 AM
No problem Danny. Since I love the city of Chicago and Chicago has a strong Notre Dame contingent of fans, an Irish team would make sense. The only question is what city the Pack would be. It would have to be close, small and hate Dublin. I'm good with it. I really never thought that Warsaw had a shot at the Bears. I did sign the petition, though.

Polishguy00
08-23-2010, 08:38 AM
Is it too mean to have the Lions be part of every formerly ravaged city in the world? Hiroshima, Fallujah, etc...? We have to give them one city of hope. Any ideas?

The Cowboys for Paris? They don't like us and we (rest of NFL) mostly do not like them. The Niners could be in the same country.

There would have to some roving teams, unfortunately. Either every team Rickey Williams plays on will be based in the Netherlands or he will discover the Netherlands on his own and we will never see him again.

Berlin is the Patriots.

FessJL0861
08-23-2010, 09:04 AM
This column makes me feel dirty as a staunch NFL isolationist. That being said, The Pack will be playing in Dundee or Aberdeen. Small cities, generally thought of in a neutral light by the rest of the country, yet hated by its bigger brothers for sports reasons (read: Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dublin, Belfast, Manchester City, and London).

Andy Freeland
08-23-2010, 09:07 AM
I like the Cowboys in Paris. Vikings in a Scandinavian country, of course (Stockholm?). If you really want to put the 49ers in France, they could have Versailles. The palace there is somewhat reminiscent of one of Eddie Debartolo's malls.

iwatt
08-23-2010, 10:16 AM
You'll want to give each country a division (or more), so that you can link city rivalries with NFL rivalries. This means focusing on football, calcio, fĂștbol.

Say you pick England, you need to link Manchester, Liverpool, and two London teams (one blue collar, one white collar)

Then go with Scotland and Ireland. Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dublin, Belfast.

Go with Northern Italy and pick Turin, Milanx2, Florence.

Go with Soutnern Italy and pick Romex2, Naples and Palermo

Somebody with more knowledge of the Bundesliga should look into the German divisions

Spain would have barcelona, Real Madrid, Valencia and Athletic Bilbao.

I take no responsibility for the hooligan riots this will cause.

Polishguy00
08-23-2010, 10:24 AM
You know, If we send our big guys on these missions to see kids, we could, um, make sure that certain football (their version) stars are jjjuuuuussst injured enough not to play for a while. If an international football team has no healthy players, games cannot be played. I don't wish truly harmful ill will on anybody, but let's say our guys coerce the players to drink coffee with tabasco sauce in it on the same weekend as a dutifully planned weekend when the whole league happens to play games in several of the future homes of the international squads, the fans would have no choice but to watch American football.

This message was actually written by Clem. Sorry, bud, I needed a fall guy.

GoBigOrGoHome
11-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Every now and then I go to the portion of the site where any member can see who is online and what they are currently viewing. Much like this old thread (currently being viewd by 2 guests), it makes for some good comedy.

I vote the Lions as the team to be beloved in Moscow.

wxwax
11-28-2011, 05:30 PM
France: Emphasizes style over function. Not sure about this one.
England: Embodies hustle, work ethic, blue collar. Giants?
Germany: Technically efficient, machine-like. Hmm... New England?
Spain: Gifted players, emotional. Not sure.
Russia: Devious, dishonest. Raiders, of course.
Italy: Realpolitik, winning, defense first, spectacle last. Steelers?

DannyMilk
12-03-2011, 11:23 PM
Spain sounds like Philly to me at the moment lol

mkocs6
12-04-2011, 12:19 AM
Spain sounds like Philly to me at the moment lol

Spain just won the Euro in 2008 and the World Cup in 2010. I vote that they are not Philadelphia...

mikesteelnation1
12-04-2011, 02:07 AM

No offense Danny, but I'm pretty sure the steelers chairman emeritus(and current us ambassador to Ireland) Mr Dan rooney, has already effectively locked down Dublin for the steelers! I'm just sayin!!

Looks like Mr rooney has already planted the flag in Ireland!

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2011/0202/nfl_rooneyd.html

BTW Andy, does this mean the jaguars will have 3 fans now once 2 kids in Lithuania have and wear the t shirts regularly?? Will they have to tarp the seats at the school houses there to ensure no blackouts of the "player representative" pitch to the kids?