PDA

View Full Version : Jay Mariotti arrested on undisclosed felony charge

FessJL0861
08-21-2010, 09:14 PM
ESPN personality and sports columnist Jay Mariotti was released from jail on $50,000 bail Saturday, hours after being arrested on suspicion of felony domestic assault, authorities said.

Mariotti, 51, was arrested Saturday around 4 a.m. following an argument with his girlfriend, authorities said.

Mariotti is a well-known sports commentator who can be seen on the ESPN show "Around the Horn." He also writes for a sports website called Fanhouse.com where he is known for his outspoken views criticizing athletes for their actions on and off the field. He formerly wrote a sports column for the Denver Post and the Chicago Sun-Times.

Get the LA Times for iPhone app. Bringing news to your mobile phone - whenever you want, wherever you go. Available in the App Store.

LAPD sources said Mariotti allegedly got into an argument with his girlfriend at a club in Santa Monica, and they were observed exchanging harsh words just before getting in a car to leave. Mariotti got angry after he believed his girlfriend had been flirting with another man, police sources said.

The argument continued at the couple's apartment near Venice where Mariotti allegedly pushed and shoved the woman. During the altercation, Mariotti grabbed her arm, leaving marks, the sources said.

Police were called to the apartment and found his girlfriend, who has not been identified, with cuts and bruises.

Mariotti was held at the 77th Street station before being released midday Saturday.

ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz said he was just becoming aware of the incident and had no immediate comment. Mariotti did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Copyright © 2010, Los Angeles Times

All stats and stories taken from LAtimes.com and the AP. They are not original works of this user.

BuckeyeRidley
08-21-2010, 10:39 PM
Sorry to see this happen. Entertaining to watch and sad to see this headline come up on him.

KabaModernFan
08-22-2010, 12:03 AM
This is what happens when Around the Horn goes on vacation. He's got too much time on his hands.

Pattrick
08-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Well, to be fair, he did say some horrible things about lots of people and he stepped on a lot of peoples toes when he quit the Chicago Sun-Times. I mean, he did enough to anger Roger Ebert. Seriously, Roger Ebert is one of the nicest, easy going people you'll ever meet. I can honestly see why a lot of people are laughing at Mr. Mariotti and enjoying this.

Domestic Violence, however, is never a laughing matter and I hope he gets whats coming to him if he is indeed guilty of the crime(s) he's accused of.

DannyMilk
08-22-2010, 02:04 PM
HAHAHAHAHA...F'n D-Bag!

Love,
Chicago

FessJL0861
08-23-2010, 08:30 PM
Turns out it's suspicion of domestic assault.

Colts01
08-23-2010, 08:52 PM
HAHAHAHAHA...F'n D-Bag!

Love,
Chicago

Cmon danny dont be shy,tell us how you really feel!:woot:

InNOutBurgler
08-24-2010, 05:43 AM
How many points does he lose for this? I thought he was a clown anyways and Around The Horn has nothin on PTI

Polishguy00
08-24-2010, 08:03 AM
From what I heard about him in Chicago is that he was a huge jerk. Plus, I always read the papers while in Chicago, he was a guy with an angle to be hated and wrote like he hated the Bears. I won't miss him. He is the Skip Bayless of Chicago. Like Skip, I really hope it all is just an angle to have a niche.

tbelcher11
08-24-2010, 05:20 PM
This doesn't surprise me for some reason. I always assumed his belligerence would (potentially) be in every area of his life. Get it together, Mariotti.

illmatc2
08-24-2010, 10:48 PM
He always acted like a jerk. He constantly said he was quitting the paper every time they didn't give him exactly what he wanted so when they finally said fine give us your resignation I thought that was great.

msclemons
08-24-2010, 10:58 PM
Domestic Violence, however, is never a laughing matter and I hope he gets whats coming to him if he is indeed guilty of the crime(s) he's accused of.

Thanks Pattrick. I grew up around domestic violence and it's never a laughing matter. No matter how much I dislike someone I wouldn't cheer for this sort of incident.

TheLinc
08-25-2010, 01:39 PM
This is still one of the greatest burns I've read:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080828/COMMENTARY/808289997

I've never gotten over my disgust for Mariotti since, during one of his face times, he went after Cardinals manager Tony La Russa for criticizing the media by explicitly degrading him over his previous DUI trouble. Absolutely nothing to do with the topic, simply ad hominem and out of spite. Absolutely despicable.

That said I don't take any particular joy in Mariotti's legal trouble. He provides good commentary, both written and spoken, and I hope he is cleared of any wrongdoing if he is indeed innocent. Wait and see.

DannyMilk
08-25-2010, 06:17 PM
This is still one of the greatest burns I've read:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080828/COMMENTARY/808289997

I've never gotten over my disgust for Mariotti since, during one of his face times, he went after Cardinals manager Tony La Russa for criticizing the media by explicitly degrading him over his previous DUI trouble. Absolutely nothing to do with the topic, simply ad hominem and out of spite. Absolutely despicable.

That said I don't take any particular joy in Mariotti's legal trouble. He provides good commentary, both written and spoken, and I hope he is cleared of any wrongdoing if he is indeed innocent. Wait and see.

I remember reading that when it came out online...I've read a lot of news articles, editorials, etc...and while there are a lot of better stories, better news, and more heart warming stories, when I read that I thought, and still do think it may be the single greatest "article" ever written. Loved it then, still love it to this day!

FessJL0861
08-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Yeah, the important things is to wait and see if/when there is a conviction. Has anyone seen him on ATH since the incident? I haven't seen hide nor hair of him

KabaModernFan
08-25-2010, 06:37 PM
Yeah, the important things is to wait and see if/when there is a conviction. Has anyone seen him on ATH since the incident? I haven't seen hide nor hair of him

That's because The Horn is on break this week for Mute Rejiggering/The Little League World Series.

TheLinc
08-25-2010, 09:37 PM

No, ESPN has a habit of sweeping it's personalities under the rug until such disputes are resolved or go away. Kornheiser was suspended for a week earlier this year for comments he made about Hannah Storm's outfit during an interview (I think it was her) and they brought in the usual suspects (Ryan/Lebatard) to fill in without hinting anything other than a vacation or leave of absence.

I highly doubt Mariotti will get any face time (no pun) while the investigation is ongoing. It's the last thing on his priorities right now I imagine.

hassan812
08-26-2010, 03:04 AM
I'm suprised mre info has not come out by now. I think it is safe to say we probably will not see Mariotti on ATH again

TheRealJosh
08-27-2010, 02:30 PM
I sincerely hope we don't see Mariotti again. It doesn't take talent or brains to denigrate people or barrage an audience with negativity. There's nothing wrong with taking an opposing view if it's valid, but his hypocrisy should cost him everything.

FessJL0861
09-05-2010, 11:04 PM
I sincerely hope we don't see Mariotti again. It doesn't take talent or brains to denigrate people or barrage an audience with negativity. There's nothing wrong with taking an opposing view if it's valid, but his hypocrisy should cost him everything.

This may be the most common sense post in the thread. Great post Josh.

Bengals1181
09-06-2010, 01:21 AM
just proves what I've always said. "media" like Jay Marriotti, Colin Cowturd, and Skip Bayless have less integrity and class than the athletes they attempt to bash daily.

TheLinc
09-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Some sweeping generalizations you're making there, guy.

TheRealJosh
09-14-2010, 08:47 AM
Jay is being charged with domestic abuse, grand theft, and false imprisonment. I know he'll only get a fine, but I was hoping he'd go to prison. Don't know who's around Chicago, but Hawk Harrelson(sp?) broke his nose in a fight and everyone cheered him. For the record, I always look into loudmouths on tv and check their writing ability. Skip Bayless is so-so, Stephen A Smith is a great writer and breaks stories(like Lebron to Miami 2 weeks before the decision), Colin Cowherd is only on the radio to provoke. You can avoid Colin by not listening to his show, Bayless by skipping first and 10, and Mariotti will probably not have his contract renewed. I think the SKip hate is a little overblown, he's required to take certain stances due to the format of the show.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/14/sports/14sportsbriefs-mariotti.html