PDA

View Full Version : Regular Season Week 2: Eagles 35 Lions 32

FessJL0861
08-22-2010, 05:11 PM
DETROIT -- Michael Vick took advantage of his first start at quarterback since 2006, looking like the Pro Bowler he used to be by effortlessly flicking the football down the field and avoiding sacks with slick steps.

Vick's second touchdown pass put the Philadelphia Eagles ahead just before halftime and they had to hold on to beat the Detroit Lions 35-32 Sunday.

He didn't take the first snap in a game the past three seasons because he served an 18-month prison sentence for his role in a dogfighting operation and spent last year as a backup.

Vick said he reflects "all the time" on his journey back onto an NFL field.

"I thought about it this morning on the bus ride over," he said softly. "It's been a long road for me. It's been tough. Throughout it all, I had to be resilient and overcome a lot of adversity and self-inflicted wounds."

The electrifying athlete was 21 of 34 -- connecting with nine teammates -- for 284 yards with two TDs, ran for 37 yards and escaped losses with the spin moves of a dancer and speed of a sprinter.

"A lot of people doubted him and said he wasn't able to do this," said DeSean Jackson, who caught four of Vick's passes for 135 yards and a TD. "He's been able to prove everybody wrong."

LeSean McCoy gave the Eagles (1-1) an 18-point lead on his third score with 6:17 left, but they gave Detroit comeback hopes.

The Lions (0-2) rallied to pull within three points and recovered an onside kick with 1:48 left, but turned the ball over on downs without gaining a yard.

"I'm proud to stand among the players," coach Jim Schwartz said. "This is a tough team, a team that's resilient, that fights through a lot of situations."

Detroit has had to deal with a lot of tough times, winning just twice last year after enduring the league's first 0-16 season. The franchise is a league-worst 33-113 since 2001.

The Lions lost their franchise QB -- Matthew Stafford -- in the season-opening loss at Chicago with an injured right shoulder and had to turn to Shaun Hill. He was 25 of 45 for 335 yards with two TDs, including one to Calvin Johnson late in the game, and had two interceptions.

"The losses are tough, but you can only worry about them for a day," Hill said. "You can't dwell on mistakes."

The Eagles didn't dwell on Vick's, giving him a shot to revive his career last year.

He was more than ready to take the first snap in place of Kevin Kolb, who missed the game because of a concussion.

Roaring Out of the Gate: Lions rookie Jahvid Best has scored four times in his first two games. The only Lions player in the last 40 years with more TDs in their first two games was Billy Sims.

Eagles coach Andy Reid insisted before the game he didn't need to reassure Kolb he was still the team's starting QB. Even though Vick seemed to do enough to make it tough to put him back on the bench, Reid said it won't be difficult to turn him back into a part-time player.

"We've got more plays for him than we did a year ago, so he'll be on the field," Reid said. "It isn't going to be five or six plays this year."

Vick passed his first test, rolling left and throwing back across the field against pressure to convert a third down on his opening drive to set up a 45-yard TD pass to Jackson.

After rookie Jahvid Best turned a short pass into a 75-yard reception to put Detroit ahead 17-7 midway through the second quarter, Vick ran and threw for first downs to set up McCoy's 14-yard run for his first TD.

Vick easily lofted a 53-yard pass that perfectly hit Jackson in stride before connecting with Jeremy Maclin on a 9-yard pass that put Philadelphia ahead 21-17 with 13 seconds left in the first half.

"You should have seen him before the game," Reid said. "He was like a kid in a candy store. He was so excited about getting a second chance at being a starter in this league."

The Lions, meanwhile, didn't have much to be proud about.

Best was an exception, catching nine passes for 154 yards and a score and running 17 times for 78 yards and two TDs.

He created a buzz at Ford Field, but by the time he scored for a third time against the Eagles -- and fifth time in two games -- most of the fans had left after growing tired of seeing the Lions lose again.

Detroit didn't give up, but it also couldn't come close enough to attempt a field goal that could've sent the game into overtime.

"We can't wait until the end of the game," Lions center Dominic Raiola lamented.

Game notes
Eagles DE Brandon Graham injured his right shoulder and X-rays were negative. ... Lions WR Nate Burleson (ankle) was injured on the first play of the game. ... McCoy was the first Eagle to have three rushing TDs since Charlie Garner in 1995. ... Philadelphia's Nate Allen and Ellis Hobbs had interceptions.

Team Stat Comparison

PHI

DET
1st Downs 24 22
Passing 1st downs
13 13
Rushing 1st downs
9 8
1st downs from Penalties
2 1
3rd down efficiency
6-14 6-15
4th down efficiency
0-0 0-2
Total Plays 68 73
Total Yards 409 444
Passing 247 329
Comp-Att
21-34 25-45
Yards per pass
7.3 7.3
Rushing 162 115
Rushing Attempts
28 26
Yards per rush
5.8 4.4
Red Zone (Made-Att) 3-3 3-3
Penalties 9-75 9-51
Turnovers 0 2
Fumbles lost
0 0
Interceptions thrown
0 2
Defensive / Special Teams TDs 0 0
Possession 30:52 29:08
Passing Leaders
Philadelphia C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT RATING
Vick 21/34 284 8.4 2 0 108.0
Detroit C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT RATING
Hill 25/45 335 7.4 2 2 75.7
Rushing Leaders
Philadelphia CAR YDS AVG TD LG
McCoy 16 120 7.5 3 46
Vick 7 37 5.3 0 12
Detroit CAR YDS AVG TD LG
Best 17 78 4.6 2 33
Hill 3 16 5.3 0 13
Receiving Leaders
Philadelphia REC YDS AVG TD LG TGTS
Jackson 4 135 33.8 1 53 7
Avant 3 33 11.0 0 18 5
Detroit REC YDS AVG TD LG TGTS
Best 9 154 17.1 1 75 14
Pettigrew 7 108 15.4 0 35 8

All stats and information taken from ESPN.com and the AP. They are not original works of this user.

BMW
09-15-2010, 10:46 AM
The only hope I think the Lions have here is if Schwartz has them completely fired up and ready to make up for last weeks blown call and bad offensive play. I think the only way the Lions have a chance in this one is if Levy plays to help shutdown the screens and short routes and also by moving the safeties up a bit to help. Then you have to worry about Jackson and Maclin going down. Eagles I feel just have too many weapons for the Lions D to handle.

After last week maybe that will light something in the Lions though!

Still trying to restore the roar!

"Complete the Process"

GBPKS
09-15-2010, 11:01 AM
I would feel better about the Lions in this game if Stafford was playing. Shaun Hill is a capable backup, but I think the Eagles are good enough to get the W here. I am interested to see how Jim Schwartz prepares his team for a heavy dose of Mike Vick. He caught the Packers off guard last week, but perhaps he will look less impressive when the other side is game planning to stop him.

GoBigOrGoHome
09-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Lions 'D' looked scrappy against the Bears. I'm not sure our LBs & DBs can cover all the speed the Iggles are bringing in to this one. Add that to the task of containing Mike Vick and the Lions are gonna have to step up defensively.

Philly's 'D' is solid as always. If Stafford was playing, I'd like our chances. But he isn't. Except for that last drive, Shaun Hill had ZERO first downs in the second half last week (we punted from our own end zone five or six times). Brutal. Advantage Philly.

You all know I'm picking the Lions. The Schwartz is gonna have the boys chomping at the bit after last weeks game. I don't know if that translates to a win. But Philly better buckle those chin straps tight because the Lions are gonna bring it in this game.

Colts01
09-16-2010, 12:44 AM
hmmm I thinking "Complete the process" is the new "Im taking my talents to South Beach"

TheLinc
09-19-2010, 01:16 PM
This is the only game with a "tie" option, isn't it? ;)

Colts01
09-19-2010, 08:51 PM
hell of a game for Best even in the loss

FessJL0861
09-19-2010, 09:06 PM
Post game is up.

GoBigOrGoHome
09-19-2010, 11:15 PM
hell of a game for Best even in the lossHelluva first half.

FessJL0861
09-19-2010, 11:38 PM
Detroit might not win more than 4 games this year, but oh my Lord, does that O look better than it did 2 years ago even with a backup QB in. Vick even stood in and threw some nice passes today for Philly. Both teams can take some positives away from this one.

TheLinc
09-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Fantastic game....I should've known better than to drive home at 34-17 with five minutes left.

I think the real question is, were any of those officials walking out of there if they ruled the Jackson play a catch?

GoBigOrGoHome
09-20-2010, 11:47 AM
I think the real question is, were any of those officials walking out of there if they ruled the Jackson play a catch?

Not one chance. Deer season starts in a few weeks. Lots of folks sighting in their weapons. Know what I'm saying?

BuckeyeRidley
09-21-2010, 05:14 AM
LOL I think this was a Good showdown for both teams. Imma Eagles fan so of course the win was satisfying and ppl are singing the praises of Mike Vick. DeSean Jackson also got in there to get some and the other Sean, LeSean McCoy got some too.

Detriot does have some up sides like still being able to turn it around to better their record last year and Jahvid Best looks Cool on the field. That is going to be a Nice Running Game to watch and I don't take anything away from Calvin Johnson either.