PDA

View Full Version : Regular Season Week 2: Patriots 14 Jets 28

FessJL0861
08-22-2010, 06:07 PM
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Mark Sanchez and the New York Jets finally played like the team coach Rex Ryan says can win the Super Bowl.

Sanchez outdueled Tom Brady with a career-high three touchdown passes and the Jets overcame the loss of Darrelle Revis to beat the New England Patriots 28-14 on Sunday.

Randy Racks Up TDs: Patriots WR Randy Moss etched his name among the elite playmakers in NFL history Sunday when he became one of a select few with at least 150 career TDs.

Coming off a week of questions about their performance on the field and their behavior off it, the Jets earned a victory they sorely needed against their AFC East rivals.

Six days after an awful outing in a season-opening loss to Baltimore, Sanchez looked every bit the part of the franchise quarterback. The second-year player completed a career-high 21 passes on 30 attempts for 220 yards and connected with Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery and Dustin Keller for scores.

The victory over the Patriots (1-1) ended a tumultuous week for the Jets (1-1), who were investigated by the NFL for the treatment of a female reporter at practice last weekend. Commissioner Roger Goodell ruled that the Jets' conduct was unprofessional, and owner Woody Johnson apologized to TV Azteca reporter Ines Sainz.

If the Jets were distracted, they certainly didn't show it in this one.

They may have some more concerns now, however. Revis, New York's Pro Bowl cornerback, left in the second quarter after Randy Moss made a jaw-dropping, one-handed 34-yard touchdown catch. Revis immediately grabbed his left leg and left the game.

Cotchery caught a 2-yard touchdown pass from Sanchez with 38 seconds left in the third quarter, and Edwards caught the 2-point conversion toss to give the Jets their first lead of the game at 21-14.

LaDainian Tomlinson had a pretty 31-yard run, showing plenty of zip, to put the Jets at the Patriots 4 and set up the score.

Helped by two pass interference calls on Darius Butler, the Jets took a 28-14 lead on Keller's 1-yard catch with 6:09 remaining.

With Brady trying to muster a comeback against his rivals, Jason Taylor sacked him and knocked the ball out of his hands with just over 4 minutes left and Bryan Thomas recovered.

The Jets then ran the ball out to seal the victory.

Brady finished 20 for 36 for 248 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions.

Moss, who took exception to Revis calling him a "slouch" in January, made an incredible catch in front of the cornerback to become the fourth NFL player to reach 150 career touchdowns.

After a 46-yard completion to Aaron Hernandez on third-and-10, Brady found Moss, who reached up and snagged the pass over his shoulder with his right hand. The touchdown -- with Revis trailing behind him -- made it 14-7 with 53 seconds left in the half.

The Jets had tied it at 7 on a 10-yard touchdown catch by Edwards, who leaped above Butler on a fade route into the end zone and held onto the ball as the two dropped to the turf.

Edwards was called for taunting after he danced in front of Butler, but the Jets were just happy to get into the end zone after their miserable 10-9 loss in the opener.

Edwards had a good drive, catching three third-down passes, including the touchdown. The 12-play drive was helped by an unnecessary roughness penalty on Tully Banta-Cain, who shoved Cotchery after he went out of bounds on a 3-yard catch, putting the ball at the Patriots 28.

Sanchez was 7 for 7 for 64 yards on that scoring drive.

Nick Folk kicked a 49-yard field goal as time expired in the first half to make it 14-10.

After Antonio Cromartie picked off Brady's long pass to Moss at the 3-yard line, Sanchez led a solid 10-play scoring drive that was capped by Folk's 36-yard field goal that made it 14-13 with 4:53 remaining in the third quarter.

Wes Welker, who caught 15 passes in the Patriots' last game against the Jets, had a 6-yard touchdown catch to give New England a 7-0 lead 1:43 into the second quarter. The score capped a 15-play drive that could've been stopped a lot earlier if not for a foolish unnecessary roughness penalty by Eric Smith.

Welker finished with six catches for 38 yards in this game, while Moss was held to two catches.

Team Stat Comparison

NE

NYJ
1st Downs 20 23
Passing 1st downs
11 14
Rushing 1st downs
5 6
1st downs from Penalties
4 3
3rd down efficiency
5-11 6-13
4th down efficiency
1-1 1-1
Total Plays 57 65
Total Yards 291 336
Passing 239 200
Comp-Att
20-36 21-30
Yards per pass
6.6 6.7
Rushing 52 136
Rushing Attempts
20 32
Yards per rush
2.6 4.3
Red Zone (Made-Att) 1-3 3-4
Penalties 6-79 6-58
Turnovers 3 0
Fumbles lost
1 0
Interceptions thrown
2 0
Defensive / Special Teams TDs 0 0
Possession 27:28 32:32
Passing Leaders
New England C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT RATING
Brady 20/36 248 6.9 2 2 72.5
NY Jets C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT RATING
Sanchez 21/30 220 7.3 3 0 124.3
Rushing Leaders
New England CAR YDS AVG TD LG
Faulk 5 22 4.4 0 8
Green-E... 10 19 1.9 0 7
NY Jets CAR YDS AVG TD LG
Tomlinson 11 76 6.9 0 31
Greene 15 52 3.5 0 8
Receiving Leaders
New England REC YDS AVG TD LG TGTS
Hernandez 6 101 16.8 0 46 6
Welker 6 38 6.3 1 11 7
NY Jets REC YDS AVG TD LG TGTS
Keller 7 115 16.4 1 39 9
Edwards 5 45 9.0 1 13 6

All stats and information taken from ESPN.com and the AP. They are not original works of this user.

Chilly
09-15-2010, 03:06 PM
I understand that the Ravens D has stood as one of the most physical, punishing groups in the league for the past decade, and that no one is ever surprised when they hold their opponents to single-digit points scored. But it definitely has its holes in the passing game, and is eerily reminiscent of the holes that the Patriots have [weak secondary at times]. So I find little reason to justify the Jets scoring more than fifteen-twenty points against a Pats D that looked both young and physical against the Bengals, giving up the majority of the scoring later in the game when the outcome was already in hand.

On the reverse side, the Patriots offense looked electric against what was supposedly a 'good D' in Cinci. Brady looked comfortable, and the running came wasn't completely non-existent for once. If the Jets fail to get pressure on Brady [and lots of it] the Patriots will score way too much for the Jets to keep up. The line is only Pats -1.5, and I would put this down as my lock of the week for sure. The Patriots will score too much, and Sanchez cannot keep up with Brady&Company [albeit disgruntled].

GBPKS
09-15-2010, 03:11 PM
I don't understand how the Jets score enough points to beat New England...

iwatt
09-15-2010, 06:06 PM
Revis will blanket Moss.... That'll be the test for both of them. Advantage Jets until proven otherwise.
Cromartie will be on Welker. That's advantage Pats.

The tight ends and Faulk are too tough to cover by the LBs, and they'll be burned if they try to Blitz Tom.

I don't know how the Pats run game will work, but Belichick will have something weird to throw at them a couple of times.

It's a short week for Shottenheimer to figuer out the schemes that the Pats defense ran, but I'm grateful santana Moss isn't there to test the defense. I'm not sure what a lack of Pass rush compared to the Ravens will mean for Sanchez though. ButI'm suer those picks he threw last time these teams met are haunting him.

I don't expect to many inroads by the Jets Run game, because Big Vince looked awesome clogging the middle last Sunday.

Chompurself
09-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Its clear that Revis can cover anyone in the league, however not too many teams rub 1 WR sets therefore Cromartie and Kyle Wilson also need to be able to cover without getting penalties....they will not be able to cover the Pats WRs and their offense wont be able to win for them either....it will help that they are not playing the Ravens D again but still wont be enough

Colts01
09-16-2010, 12:40 AM
the pats will be in FU mode,I think they score too many points,of corse against the Jets 13 would be too many points

SpartaChris
09-16-2010, 01:43 AM
The Jets are sick with the No Skill Virus on offense. I really don't see them winning this unless their anemic offense was a one game anomaly.

GBPKS
09-16-2010, 10:55 AM
The problem with the Jets' offense, which I have been saying all offseason here on these forums, is that they weakened their running game by letting Thomas Jones go and they weakened their offensive line by letting Alan Faneca go. Last year, they had a strength on offense they could rely on - now they have an unproven second year player who may or may not have a fumble problem and a well past his prime legend running behind an OLine that isn't as good as it was a year ago. Based on what Rex Ryan says, it sounds like the situation with the Jets is the same as it was in San Diego - LT getting more carries than he deserves just because of the name on the back of his jersey and the player he used to be instead of the player he is. So, more burden falls on Mark Sanchez, who is dealing with a below average receiving corps (at least until Santonio Holmes comes back).

I think Sanchez has the potential to be a good quarterback in the league - but he's still young and a lot of second year guys struggle before the light goes on.

The Jet defense isn't good enough to win without help from the offense, and Revis can only cover one guy. If Revis covers Moss, then Welker will have double digit receptions. If Revis covers Welker, then that opens up Moss deep. The Pats don't really run the ball much, but with their short passing game to the tight ends or the backs out of the backfield, or Welker in the slot, it's tough to make headway blitzing them.

The Pats have a young, unproven secondary - Schottenheimer and Sanchez are going to have to test them deep down the field if they want to compete in this game.

hassan812
09-16-2010, 07:51 PM
13-1 in favor of Pats....IDK if the Jets bandwagon is slowing down or if the Pats bandwagon is picking up steam. Anyways, as GBPK5 said, Revis may be able to contain Moss, but Welker will probably have a big game as a result. It's your classic case of pick your poison.

Although the Pats secondary looked good last week against a much better passing game than the Jets in the Bengals, the secondary is young and that often brings inconsistency. However, I still don't see the Jets offense clicking this week. The Jets offense can't be any worse than they were last week, but I still don't expect Sanchez and Co. to keep up with the Pats.

GO PATS

Turk Schonert
09-18-2010, 11:52 AM
First one to 20 wins!

Colts01
09-19-2010, 08:50 PM
and the Jets hit Turks number,weird to see the pats fall apart like that in the 2nd half

hassan812
09-19-2010, 09:02 PM
this game was too much like last year. couldn;t et it done on the road and in the second half. Got to give the Jets their props. They were be able to back up ther talk (at least for one game) and they got it done without Revis. The Jets offense is obviously not as bad as ppl were saying after last week and unfortunately the Patriots are not as good as everyone was saying after last week. However, I still do like the Pats better than Miami and the Jets going forward. It is definitely going to be a fight though.

FessJL0861
09-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Post game is up.