PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Night! Rain! 49ers!

Amy
12-16-2012, 11:13 PM
Cold, dark, night game. Can the Cali team handle it? We'll see. If the Pats win, we're in the 2 seed, one game back with 2 to play, with a chance to get the one. If we lose, we have the 3 seed, as we'll have one more loss than Denver. So, it is a big game for us. But, with Seattle's win, it's just as big for the 49ers. So, expect both teams to play well. It's a huge game.

We have Al and Cris, of course. Ed Hochuli is the ref. He's my fave ref, so I hope I don't need to rip him tonight!

Pats D1: Start at the 15, Short kickoff, but Devin didn't get a great return.

1st and 10: Brady to Lloyd, 6
2nd and 4: Ridley, 3, fumble after he was down. 49ers recover. Ed rules it a fumble, but we get it back on review. It took forever for an easy call
3rd and 1: Ridley, -3. Bowman with the play. Good D, bad playcall.

49ers D1: Start at the 38. Ginn almost fumbles the ball. It's very slick.

1st and 10: Kapernick to Crabtree, 10
1st and 10: Kapernick to Crabtree, 13. Gregory could have jumped the route, but he hesitated.
1st and 10: Kapernick to Moss, 11
1st and 10: Gore, 3
2nd and 7: Kapernick to James, incomplete. Hightower strips it, but the WR never had possession. It was a good call by Ed.
3rd and 7: Kapernick to Moss, 27, TD. 7-0 49ers. Not a good start for us.

Pats D2: Start at the 25. Devin bobbled it. I fully expect a special teams fumble this game.

1st and 10: Brady to Lloyd, 23
1st and 10: Brady incomplete, hit by Aldon Smith.
2nd and 10: Ridley, 2
3rd and 8: Brady to Hernandez, incomplete, Aldon Smith with the pressure.
4th and 8: Punt. At this point, the 49ers D is kicking our butt.

49ers D2: Start at the 8.

1st and 10: Gore, 4
2nd and 6: Gore, 5
3rd and 1: Fumbled Snap, -2.
4th and 3: Punt

Pats D3: Start at the 20. We lose 25 yards on a 10 yard hold while the ball was in the air. Good call, it just sucks.

1st and 10: Brady intercepted by Rogers, on a stupid throw to Welker under double coverage. It did look like Rogers held, but Welker slowed down and that helped with the pick. Brady made the TD saving tackle.

49ers D3: Start at the Pats 5

1st and goal: Kapernick to Crabtree, incomplete
2nd and goal: Kapernick to walker, fumbled, recovered by Talib! We dodge a bullet!

Pats D4: Start at the 11

1st and 10: Ridley, 6
2nd and 4: Ridley, 1
3rd and 3: Brady to Hernandez, incomplete. 49ers got more pressure.

49ers D4: Start at the 41

1st and 10: James, 4
2nd and 6: Kapernick fumbles the sack! Gore recovers.
3rd and 10: Kapernick to Crabtree, incomplete. In addition, Crabtree had stepped out and was the first to touch the ball. Declined of course.
4th and 10: Fake punt. Goldston runs for 31. Not good :(
1st and 10: Gore, 0
2nd and 10: James, 3
3rd and 7: Gore, 4
4th and 3: 39 yard FG misses. Still 7-0 49ers.

Pats D5: Start at the 30

1st and 10: Brady to Woodhead, 7
2nd and 3: False Start, Mankins. Good call.
2nd and 8: Brady to Woodhead, -4. Willis with the play.
3rd and 12: Brady to Vereen, 6, fumble. Bowman forced it, Culliver recovers.

49ers D5: Start at the Pats 34

1st and 10: Kapernick just overthrows Davis in the endzone
2nd and 10: Gore, 9
3rd and 1: Gore, 0!

End of the first. We've already had 5 possessions, and 10 in a game tends to make me nervous. They're playing very very well, hats off to the 49ers at this point.

4th and inches: Kapernick drops the snap! No gain on the run!

Pats D6: Start at the 25

1st and 10: Ridley, 1
2nd and 9: Brady to Lloyd, 11. A first down!
1st and 10: Brady to Hernandez, off his hands
2nd and 10: Woodhead, 10
1st and 10: Brady to Woodhead, 6
2nd and 4: Brady to Hernandez, 10
1st and 10: Woodhead, 3
2nd and 7: Brady to Branch, Brown pass defended in the endzone. Good defensive play but Brown hurt himself. I didn't know we had brought Branch back.
3rd and 7: Brady to Hernandez, 3. I don't like the dumpoff there.
4th and 4: We line up to go for it, and call timeout with 2 seconds on the playclock.
4th and 4: Brady to Branch, 9! YAY!
1st and 10: Woodhead, 8
2nd and 2: Woodhead, 5. We miss the snap. NBC should be better than this.
1st and goal: Woodhead, 3
2nd and goal: Brady to Ridley, incomplete. Rogers with pressure.
3rd and goal: Brady sacked, -7. McDonald with the sack.
4th and goal: 32 yard FG good. 7-3. Not perfect, but the offense did something finally.

49ers D6: Start at the 21.

1st and 10: Kapernick to Crabtree, pass defended by Talib. Talib called for PI by some ref no where near the play, Bad bad bad call.
1st and 10: Gore, 8
2nd and 2: Gore, 3
1st and 10: Kapernick to Walker, 34 TD. 14-3, 49ers. Thanks, Refs, for that 25 yard gift to the 49ers. It irks me when some ref 25 or 30 yards from a play throws a flag with no angle at all to actually *see* what happens. But, when it comes in 10 seconds after the play ends, from the other side of the field, then that's what happened.

Pats D7: Start at the 18.

1st and 10: Ridley, 4
2nd and 6: Brady to Lloyd, off his hands.
3rd and 6: Brady to Lloyd, low, incomplete.
4th and 6: Punt. The ball goes off Ginn's shin and we recover. Then it gets confusing. Ed rules that it wasn't touched, and as a result, our recovery was an illegal touch. Combined with a 49ers hold the play would be redone with offsetting penalties. BB throws the red flag, challenging that the ball *did* hit Ginn, in which case, it would be a Patriot recovery. As Ed did not rule a turnover, this is a legal challenge. Ok, then it gets worse, is that not only does he miss the touch but then it's moved back 10 yards for the 49ers hold, and they get the ball. Understand all that?

49ers D7: Start at the 22

1st and 10: Kapernick to Crabtree, pass broken up by Gregory
2nd and 10: Gore, 7. Iupati hurt on the play.
3rd and 3: Kapernick to Crabtree, 8
1st and 10: Gore, 14
1st and 10: Gore, 2
2nd and 8: Kapernick to Davis, 9
1st and 10: Kapernick to Davis, incomplete
2nd and 10: James, 2
3rd and 8: Kapernick,19
1st and 10: Kapernick to Moss, incomplete. Dennard almost picks it!
2nd and 10: Gore, 4
3rd and 6: Niners take the playclock to 0:01 and then call timeout. Smart play.
3rd and 6: Gore, 7. Ugly run and we play bad D.
1st and goal: Kapernick to Moss, incomplete, and OPI on Moss. Why no run off?? Offensive penalty in the last 2 mintues lead to 10 second run offs I thought.
1st and goal: Kapernick, 11. Dennard down. :(
2nd and goal: Gore, 1. Niners timeout 3.
3rd and goal: 20 yard FG. 17-3 49ers. It could be a lot worse, but the 49ers got a lot of help from Ed's crew this quarter. That said, they deserve to be winning, they're playing better than we are.

Pats are 1 of 8 on 3rd and 4th. That one was on 4th and 4. The 49ers are 5 of 10 on 3rd and 4th.

wxwax
12-16-2012, 11:22 PM
Fascinating game. Watching the 9ers handle NE's offense is amazing, after seeing so much NE success of the last few weeks.

hobbes27
12-16-2012, 11:43 PM
Pats fans better start getting used to the idea that they are playing the first weekend of the playoffs and this isn't a super bowl team.

wxwax
12-16-2012, 11:59 PM
Butt whipping. Good lord. Instruct me: is the difference that SF can get away with playing tight man coverage? The screens/bubble screens are getting blown up.

edave
12-17-2012, 12:11 AM
The 49ers have a very good defensive back group and are remarkably healthy for this time of year.

mkocs6
12-17-2012, 12:24 AM
So, um... about that blowout...

ScottDCP
12-17-2012, 12:25 AM
I didn't see much, but Ginnie touched that punt.

1. its trajectory changed.
2. he had that "I hope you don't see my fingers and I want to hide and punish them" body language as it went by him.
3. he is Ted Ginn, Jr., and in the end will always do something to hurt his team's chances of winning.

edave
12-17-2012, 01:09 AM
This game reminded me a lot of the 49ers opening week performance.

cml
12-17-2012, 01:10 AM
Pats fans better start getting used to the idea that they are playing the first weekend of the playoffs and this isn't a super bowl team.

The first part of this is true, barring very strange events.

I'm not at all ready to concede the second part of this yet.

hobbes27
12-17-2012, 01:14 AM
The first part of this is true, barring very strange events.

I'm not at all ready to concede the second part of this yet.

You may get to the superbowl by some dumb luck. But you ain't beating a NFC team in the superbowl.

Amy
12-17-2012, 01:15 AM
49ers D8: Start at the 30 after a very good return.

1st and 10: Kapernick to Crabtree, incomplete
2nd and 10: Gore, -5
3rd and 15: Kapernick to Gore, 26, on a screen. C'mon D!
1st and 10: Dixon, 5
2nd and 5: Kapernick to Crabreee, 6
1st and 10: Gore, 4. But, Jones was offsides, so they take it.
1st and 5: Kapernick to Miss, picked by McCourty in the endzone! Devin!!!!

Pats D8: Start at the 20.

1st and 10: Brady to Lloyd, 29
1st and 10: Brady to Welker, incomplete
2nd and 10: Brady to Hernandez, 10
1st and 10: Ridley, 9, fumble. Gholston recovers, returns to the 5. Whitner forced it. We are also called for an illegal block on the return. *sigh*

49ers D9: Start at the Pats 3.

1st and goal: Kapernick fumbles the sack, again, but Gore picks it up and gets a TD. 24-3, 49ers. We're snakebit tonight. But, it's not the playoffs.

Pats D9: Start at the 20

1st and 10: Brady to Hernandez, incomplete, and he's popped by Gholstron. Flag on the 49ers. Good call. It was clear helmet to helmet.
1st and 10: Brady to Hernandez, off his hands, picked by Aldon Smith. Snakebit.

49ers D10: Start at the Pats 27

1st and 10: Kapernick to Crabtree, 27 TD. 31-3.

Pats D10: Start at the 26

1st and 10: Brady to Woodhead, high
2nd and 10: Brady to Hernandez, off his hands, again.
3rd and 10: Brady to Hernandez, 17
1st and 10: Woodhead, 5
2nd and 5: Brady to Welker, 7
1st and 10: Brady to Hernandez, 5
2nd and 5: Brady to Woodhead, 7
1st and 10: Brady to Branch, 7
2nd and 3: Woodhead, 3
1st and 10: Brady to Lloyd, 22, TD. Negated by illegal shift on Lloyd himself. Snakebit.
1st and 15: Brady to Woodhead, incomplete
2nd and 15: Brady to Hernandez, 6
3rd and 9: Woodhead, 16
1st and goal: 6, TD! Finally we get one. 31-10, 49ers.

49ers D11: Start at the 20.

1st and 10: James, 17
1st and 10: Gore, -2, after another bobbled snap.
2nd and 12: Dixon, 3
3rd and 9: Kapernick to Crabtree, high, incomplete
4th and 9: Punt

Pats D11: Start at the 14

1st and 10: Brady to Hernandez, 20
1st and 10: Brady to Woodhead, Whitner defends it
2nd and 10: Brady to Lloyd, 13
1st and 10: Brady to Welker, 9
2nd and 1: Brady to #47!, 41 yards!
1st and goal: Woodhead, 1
2nd and goal: Woodhead, 0
3rd and goal: Ridley, 0

Start of the 4th. Justin Smith to the locker room.

4th and goal: Brady, 1, TD! 31-17. We're not dead yet.

49ers D12: Start at the 18. C'mon D!! Denard out for the game with a knee. Justin Smith back for the 49ers.

1st and 10: Kapernick to Crabtree, 4
2nd and 6: Gore, 2
3rd and 4: Kapernick to James, incomplete!
4th and 4: Punt

Pats D12: Start at the 34

1st and 10: Brady to Hernandez, dropped
2nd and 10: Brady to Hernandez, 8
3rd and 2: Brady to Lloyd, incomplete.
4th and 2: Brady to Welker, 15
1st and 10: Brady to Welker, overthrown. Crowd wants a PI, but it's a good no call.
2nd and 10: 49ers call timeout, Brady disagrees, but, again, good call.
2nd and 10: Brady to Lloyd, incomplete. PI on Brown, good call.
1st and goal: Brady to Hernandez, 5, TD! Brady's streak alive, and we're back in it! 31-24, 49ers. Defense needs to stop the 49ers, and give us a chance to tie!

49ers D13: Start at the 25.

1st and 10: Kapernick to Walker, imcomplete, and illegal hands to the face on Boone.
1st and 20: Gore, 11
2nd and 9: Kapernick sacked, -13! Ninkovitch!!!!
3rd and 22: Timeout 49ers, playclock down to :01.
3rd and 22: Kapernick to Gore, 8
3th and 14: Punt. We have a chance here! Go Tom! Tie it!

Pats D13: Start at the 8 after holding on the return. Not good.

1st and 10: Brady to Hernandez, dropped
2nd and 10: Brady to Lloyd, 11.
1st and 10: Brady to Lloyd, 53!!!
1st and 10: Brady, 5! He never runs on 1st down.
2nd and 5: Brady to Branch, 13
1st and 10: Francois Jumps!. We also find out that Justin Smith came in for one play, and then left again.
1st and 5: Brady 6, down at the goal line.
1st and goal: Woodhead, 1, TD! 31-31. Wow, what a rally, even if we lose, this shows a lot about this team!

49ers D14: Start at the Pats 38 after an incredible return by James.

1st and 10: Kapernick to Crabtree, 38, TD, 38-31 49ers. Not great, but if they had to score again, a fast score is best. Go get it, Tom, tie it again.

Pats D14: Start at the 25. CC points out the 49ers D didn't get much rest.

1st and 10: Brady to Welker, 13
1st and 10: Brady to Welker, 12
1st and 10: Brady to Lloyd, incomplete
2nd and 10: Brady sacked, -5, by McDonald. Volmer called for hands to the face, declined.
3rd and 15: Brady sacked, -8, Francois. Why did we slow down after that start?
4th and 15: Punt

49ers D15: Start at the 28 after Ginn bobbles the Punt. D needs a fast stop. 4:40 left

1st and 10: Gore, 1
2nd and 9: James, 5
3rd and 4: James, 1!
4th and 3: We call a timeout with 3:07 left. C'mon offense.

Pats D15: Start at the 3, holding with the ball in the air. We'll need to earn the tie.

1st and 10: Brady to Lloyd, incomplete. I thought there should have been defensive holding
2nd and 10: Brady to Lloyd, 7
3rd and 3: Brady to Woodhead, dropped.
4th and 3: Brady to Woodhead, high. Branch was being held, no call. Brady also made bad decisions on 3rd and 4th

49ers D16: Start at the Pats 12

1st and 10: James, 0, Pats Timeout 2
2nd and 10: Gore, 3, Pats timeout 3. Spikes hurt
3rd and 7: James, -1.
4th and 8: 28 yard FG good: 41-31. We gave it a good run.

Pats D16: Start at the 20

1st and 10: Brady to Lloyd, 12
1st and 10: Brady to Hernandez, 7
2nd and 3: Brady to Hernandez, defeded by Willis. Aldon Smith leaves the field.
3rd and 3: Brady to Lloyd, low, incomplete
4th and 3: Brady to Branch, 7
1st and 10: Spike, Aldon Smith back in the game
2nd and 10: Brady to Woodhead, 6
3rd and 4: Brady to Lloyd, incomplete
4th and 4: Brady to Lloyd, 20
1st and 10: Spike
2nd and 10: 41 yaard Fg good. 41-34. I'd want the TD first. Onsides kick coming up. I'd bloop it like 20 yards over the line and race for it. But, I'm just a girl :)

Walker recovers the onsides kick, Game over. I hate the 10 to 12 yard kick on an onsides. You never get it. Never. Kick it deeper, give yourself a chance. Still, we rallied nicely. We could not have played worse in the first half, and we could have won. I'm more confident now in getting to New Orleans than I was last week.

We end at 6 of 21 on 3rd and 4th, and they end at 6 of 16. We're back to the 3 seed, for the moment, but we're by no means locked in there. As for not being a Super Bowl team, hmmm, let's see: Houston Quit when they were down big last week, we rallied back this week; We've already beat Denver and can do it again; the Raven's still worry me, but they seem to be collapsing; the Colts are a good story, but we can handle them, and whover gets in at the 6, is, well, one and done. We can, of course, lose to anyone in the playoffs, but, after the rally, after seeing the non quit. If Ed gets the Ginn call right, we're looking at OT I'd bet.

cml
12-17-2012, 01:21 AM
You may get to the superbowl by some dumb luck. But you ain't beating a NFC team in the superbowl.

So you think by that rationale there are, what, 4-5 NFC teams better than the Patriots?

Sorry, but I don't agree. Especially when you present absolutely no rationale behind it.

Pats have lost a total of 4 games this year, by a total of 11 points. Missing their best offensive weapon today - and yes, the Niners were missing Justin Smith for most of the second half. 4 turnovers to 2, in this game. SF recovered 7 of the 8 fumbles - which is mostly a luck stat.

There's no reason to come out of this thinking the Pats would need "dumb luck" to get to the SB, nor that they would have no chance of beating a NFC team if they got there.

wxwax
12-17-2012, 01:33 AM
Could be a Super Bowl preview. I think Denver - NE could be a very exciting playoff contest. In Denver, too.

cml
12-17-2012, 01:48 AM
Could be a Super Bowl preview. I think Denver - NE could be a very exciting playoff contest. In Denver, too.

I'm hoping to see that game too.

wxwax
12-17-2012, 02:22 AM
I'm hoping to see that game too.

Amy said NE beat them once, they can bet them again. Might well be true. From a fan's point of view, Denver of Week 5 is not the Denver of now. Much better team, seem to have found their mojo on both sides of the ball.

cml
12-17-2012, 03:45 AM
Amy said NE beat them once, they can bet them again. Might well be true. From a fan's point of view, Denver of Week 5 is not the Denver of now. Much better team, seem to have found their mojo on both sides of the ball.

Yeah, I wouldn't be shocked if Denver won a rematch. Wouldn't be shocked if NE won it either. I think that's a pretty competitive matchup right now - although it's hard to tell until/unless they do play.

Amy
12-17-2012, 09:50 AM

The problem with that is - with the exception of the Ravens (who are my Super Bowl pick), Denver's losses are all to playoff teams. Houston, Atlanta, and us. And, we're better, overall, then Denver.

QB= Even
Oline=Denver, slightly, given our injury situation, but that could change by late January.
RB=Us, by a mile. I'd take any one of Ridley/Vereen/Woodhead/Boldin over Moreno without hesitation.
WR/TE=Us, by a mile. Branch, our worst WR, is IMO, better than anyone Denver has.

Dline=Denver.
Linebackers=Us
Secondary=Harder to call. We can play bad in the back 4, but we can also play lights out, and have a knack for takeaways.

Also, Manning is a just below .500 playoff QB, who does not play in the elements in the playoffs, historically. And, this season, unless Denver plays Houston, all his games will be outside. Denver also does not have the lock on the 2. A Denver loss in the last 2 weeks gives us the 2 back, if we sweep. This is not a 'they can't beat us', not by any means. I just think we're better then they are.

hobbes27
12-17-2012, 10:52 AM
So you think by that rationale there are, what, 4-5 NFC teams better than the Patriots?

Sorry, but I don't agree. Especially when you present absolutely no rationale behind it.

Pats have lost a total of 4 games this year, by a total of 11 points. Missing their best offensive weapon today - and yes, the Niners were missing Justin Smith for most of the second half. 4 turnovers to 2, in this game. SF recovered 7 of the 8 fumbles - which is mostly a luck stat.

There's no reason to come out of this thinking the Pats would need "dumb luck" to get to the SB, nor that they would have no chance of beating a NFC team if they got there.

New England isn't stopping a NFC's team offense. You don't fall behind 31-3 because of bad breaks. Their defense was way overhyped and against good offenses which you face in the playoffs, you get exposed. If not in the AFC playoffs, then the superbowl.

packa7x
12-17-2012, 11:30 AM
The problem with that is - with the exception of the Ravens (who are my Super Bowl pick), Denver's losses are all to playoff teams. Houston, Atlanta, and us. And, we're better, overall, then Denver.

QB= Even
Oline=Denver, slightly, given our injury situation, but that could change by late January.
RB=Us, by a mile. I'd take any one of Ridley/Vereen/Woodhead/Boldin over Moreno without hesitation.
WR/TE=Us, by a mile. Branch, our worst WR, is IMO, better than anyone Denver has.

Dline=Denver.
Linebackers=Us
Secondary=Harder to call. We can play bad in the back 4, but we can also play lights out, and have a knack for takeaways.

Also, Manning is a just below .500 playoff QB, who does not play in the elements in the playoffs, historically. And, this season, unless Denver plays Houston, all his games will be outside. Denver also does not have the lock on the 2. A Denver loss in the last 2 weeks gives us the 2 back, if we sweep. This is not a 'they can't beat us', not by any means. I just think we're better then they are.

I wouldn't put any stock into the .500 playoff QB thing. The Broncos are a team built to play anywhere unlike the Colts teams with Manning. I think you're definitely underestimate them. I do think you guys are probably good enough to win 6 out of 10 games vs the Broncos on a neutral field, but I definitely think its very close.

packa7x
12-17-2012, 11:30 AM

Definitely. I agree. Manning has brought the receivers along nicely and the team has gelled.

wxwax
12-17-2012, 02:44 PM

QB= Even

Dline=Denver.
Linebackers=Us

A point well made.

Against those excellent points, my thinking is that the game would be at home in front of Denver's energetic fans. That the Denver weather is a highly overrated factor. That the losses to Atlanta, Houston and NE came in weeks 2,3 and 5. That Denver is a changed team since then. And that Manning's playoff record is a mark of his excellence: over the years, he has almost single-handedly dragged many a team into the playoffs which had no business being there.

This Denver team is a solid outfit on both sides of the ball. They'll be tough to be beat, especially at home, I feel.

That's why I'm looking forward to a possible match-up. I think it would be a pretty intense, competitive game.

wxwax
12-17-2012, 03:02 PM
It strikes me that this business of Manning outdoors is one of those myths that won't die until he gets a big playoff win outside in Denver. Or two, maybe.

It's kinda like the Falcons were paper tigers until they shut-out the Super Bowl champs. People think they see something and they stick to that perception until it's proven wrong.

I think the notion that Manning will be hampered by playing outdoors in Denver in January is off base. Here's why.

1/ Denver isn't Barrow, Alaska. Check the climate (http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USCO0105). The average high in Denver in January is a toasty 47 degrees. But snow, you say! Except that, Denver gets less precipitation in January than in any other month of the year. So, no snow, more than likely.

2/ Manning played his formative years outside, high school and college. The sun, the moon, the stars, the wind, the rain, he haz them.

3/ The Denver Broncos are not the Indianapolis Colts. Having lived in St. Louis during the Greatest Show on Turf, I feel somewhat comfortable making a generalization. Precision offenses which run tight routes and employ exquisite timing thrive on an indoor carpet. Take them outdoors and their timing is thrown off a bit. It's not the weather, it's the slippery grass and mud. But the Broncos aren't a Colts or a Mike Martz-Rams. They play outdoors every week.

So this is a greatly exaggerated non-factor.

It's true that Denver will have to win their last two to guarantee home field. And that nothing is a given in the NFL. However, both games are at home and are against weak sisters, Cleveland and KC. Kansas City is a divisional foe and those games can be crazy.

But you have to think that the next game Denver plays away from Mile High will be the Super Bowl.

See what I did there? :)

FrzzerBwler
12-17-2012, 05:25 PM
Remember Peyton won a SB in a downpour with no issues handling a wet ball.
Afterwards his center Jeff Saturday revealed how at the end of each practice Peyton would have them practice snaps with balls that had been soaking in buckets of water. Saturday admitted he always thought it was not worth the time involved until they played that SB in the rain.

wxwax
12-17-2012, 05:51 PM
I forgot to mention our last remaining paper tiger, Houston. They'll have home field. I think I'm correct in saying that if Denver wins out, they'd only travel to Houston for a third round game. Is that correct? The teams with the two best records wouldn't meet until the conference championship?

Docta
12-17-2012, 06:24 PM
I forgot to mention our last remaining paper tiger, Houston. They'll have home field. I think I'm correct in saying that if Denver wins out, they'd only travel to Houston for a third round game. Is that correct? The teams with the two best records wouldn't meet until the conference championship?
Correct. Unless the Texans lose their next 2 games, they'll end up as the 1 seed.

edave
12-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Dline=Denver.
Linebackers=Us

I'd be inclined to swap those rankings myself (the LBs may be about even).

Wilfork is such a disruptive force in the middle who helps the edge guys and makes the LB crew look better. His personal stats suck, but I saw a bit in the last couple weeks comparing game stats with Vince on the field and off it... the contrast was dramatic.

This piece about Dumervil may be useful when trying to understand how the Denver DL is doing things this season.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/fat-camp-why-elvis-dumervil-has-simplified-his-pass-rush-repertoire

Regarding the Denver LBs, Brooking may be old but he's still mostly getting it done. Woodyard is having a pretty nice season and then there's Von Miller. The Patriots just don't have a player of his ability.

I like the group of Spikes, Hightower and Mayo (and sometimes Ninkovich) but occasionally White (always loved his effort on special teams, no so much elsewhere) winds up out there. Maybe Denver, maybe even. Hard to say.