PDA

View Full Version : The game's best young QBs...

twirth
07-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Which of these promising young QBs would you rather build your team around (assuming you have no one else on your roster yet)? Here are my rankings:

Matt Stafford
Matt Ryan
Joe Flacco
Sam Bradford
Chad Henne
Jimmy Clauson
Mark Sanchez
Tim Tebow

That's my order, but it's tough! Bradford was the toughest to place.

Mordeci
07-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Call me a delusional optimist, but I'm going Bradford.

If anyone votes for Tebow, I'm going to have to ask you to leave. Nothing personal, we just have a higher standard than that here.

Ninernightmare
07-03-2010, 11:11 AM
I think some of your post got cutoff, I don't see Alex Smith's name on there! :D I went with Ryan, the other guys still have alot to prove.

BigDerf
07-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Matty Ice is easily the best QB on that board. Some of the guys may have higher ceilings but no one on the list has proven to be on their way like Ryan.

KabaModernFan
07-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Matt Ryan: 6,356 yds - 38 TDs - 25 INTs - 59.7% CMP - Teams went 20-10 (Missed 2 Games) - 1 Playoffs Appearance
Joe Flacco: 6,584 yds - 35 TDs - 24 INTs - 61.7% CMP - Teams went 20-12 - 2 Playoffs Appearances

I picked Flacco, but that's because I'm biased. I'm not saying either QB is better, because they're both going to be great it looks like, but you can't say that Ryan has proven himself and Flacco hasn't.

Cris Collinsworth
07-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Others could become the best someday, but for right now, Matt Ryan is the top of this list.

Cris Collinsworth
07-03-2010, 05:32 PM
If you take Matt Ryan off that board, it gets really interesting.

LiteraryHack
07-03-2010, 09:42 PM
If you take Matt Ryan off that board, it gets really interesting.

You're right, Matt Ryan is tops right now, and by a fair margin, I think.

The real interesting question is who's the most likely to be the next Ryan Leaf?

OverTheTop
07-03-2010, 10:57 PM
With the addition of Anguan Boldin to the Ravens offense, Flacco could put himself neck and neck with Matt Ryan this season. Although I have to say I love Ryan's ability to make the most difficult throw in football... Over the head of the cornerback, underneath the deep safety, and out of range of the linebacker in a cover 2 scheme. Ryan dominates base Cover 2 from what I've watched which allows him to keep more drives alive against NFC squads.

Chilly
07-04-2010, 01:52 AM
Flacco just doesn't pass the 'eye-test' for me. Maybe statistically, when he is playing with a great defense and running game, he can put up solid numbers, but I cannot watch him play an entire game and walk away thinking that he will ever be a Top Ten QB. I could be wrong, but I think his ceiling is a lot lower than some of the others on this list. I think Stafford could end up being the best, too.

DannyMilk
07-04-2010, 01:57 AM
I picked Flacco too...everyone on this site is quickly understanding I have a brove or a mancrush on him haha

Sandman
07-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Matt Ryan no question. Has the NFL experience and a good head on his shoulders.

robthemany
07-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Joe Flacco is about to ascend to the next level.

bluestree
07-04-2010, 03:09 PM
You're right, Matt Ryan is tops right now, and by a fair margin, I think.

The real interesting question is who's the most likely to be the next Ryan Leaf?

Since you have to suck from jump, it has to be either Bradford, Clausen or Tebow. And since it's about attitude more than skills, I'd say Clausen.

ncoolong
07-04-2010, 03:17 PM
With the addition of Anguan Boldin to the Ravens offense, Flacco could put himself neck and neck with Matt Ryan this season. Although I have to say I love Ryan's ability to make the most difficult throw in football... Over the head of the cornerback, underneath the deep safety, and out of range of the linebacker in a cover 2 scheme. Ryan dominates base Cover 2 from what I've watched which allows him to keep more drives alive against NFC squads.

The fact is, Flacco needed an elite-level WR to become great - assuming he even does.

A great quarterback is one who attacks vertically, not pass off to his RB in the flats more than anyone else. And you can't say he doesn't. Rice led the team in receptions, and one quarter of Flacco's completions went to him. Flacco completed 63 percent of his passes, at 7.1 yards per attempt. Both pretty middle-of-the-road, Jason Campbell/David Garrard like numbers.

Ray Rice should donate his Pro Bowl check to Flacco, cuz if it wasn't for his lack of downfield vision, he'd never have gotten as many touches as he did.

KabaModernFan
07-04-2010, 09:38 PM
The fact is, Flacco needed an elite-level WR to become great - assuming he even does.

A great quarterback is one who attacks vertically, not pass off to his RB in the flats more than anyone else. And you can't say he doesn't. Rice led the team in receptions, and one quarter of Flacco's completions went to him. Flacco completed 63 percent of his passes, at 7.1 yards per attempt. Both pretty middle-of-the-road, Jason Campbell/David Garrard like numbers.

Ray Rice should donate his Pro Bowl check to Flacco, cuz if it wasn't for his lack of downfield vision, he'd never have gotten as many touches as he did.

2009 Stats:
Joe Flacco - 63.1% CMP - 7.2 YPA
Matt Ryan - 58.3% CMP - 6.5 YPA

Ummm...what? Ray Rice had 5 more receptions than Derrick Mason did, and about 300 yards less than Derrick Mason did.

Chilly
07-04-2010, 09:39 PM
"A great quarterback is one who attacks vertically, not pass off to his RB in the flats more than anyone else."

Lots of quarterbacks are reined in at first and gradually allowed to extend the field. With the Ravens trio of backs and powerful defense, I think the natural choice was to let Flacco manage the game without making many risks. We'll see what happens this year with receivers and another year of experience under his belt. He is definitely going to start running out of excuses pretty quick.

ncoolong
07-04-2010, 09:50 PM
"A great quarterback is one who attacks vertically, not pass off to his RB in the flats more than anyone else."

Lots of quarterbacks are reined in at first and gradually allowed to extend the field. With the Ravens trio of backs and powerful defense, I think the natural choice was to let Flacco manage the game without making many risks. We'll see what happens this year with receivers and another year of experience under his belt. He is definitely going to start running out of excuses pretty quick.

True. Just don't call him a great QB. It's funny to me cuz the same reason Ryan's getting dogged here is the same logic people used to decry him before the draft. Whether it's this technical limitation, or a competitor's ability to make this throw better, Ryan has the stones to go out and find a way to win. He's gutsy, he's a leader, and despite him looking sort of like a weenie, he's got iron running through him. He's a winner, and will be more often than Flacco will.

ncoolong
07-04-2010, 09:54 PM
"Ummm...what? Ray Rice had 5 more receptions than Derrick Mason did, and about 300 yards less than Derrick Mason did. I'm sure you'll find some way for it to be Flacco's fault that Ray Rice was arguably the second-best receiver on the team last year though."

.....so?....I'm missing your point.

It's not Flacco's fault, it just shows Flacco doesn't look down the field very much. You're forgetting the fact that there's more than one WR on the field, and Rice's primary job shouldn't be to catch passes. Flacco only threw to one WR, or he threw to his RB on the short, high percentage route. He doesn't get the ball down the field, but one would think he'd have a high completion percentage. He didn't even have that.

Rice's job is more of an outlet for the QB to throw if his main option isn't there. To me, throwing to the running back that often only suggests Flacco was making one read down the field, and dumping it short and safe when that one read isn't there. It doesn't take a great quarterback to make that throw. If he's great, he's completing far more passes down the field than what he's showing.

DannyMilk
07-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Flacco has a really strong arm, and he'll be able to use it when Boldin's 50 yards downfield haha

nickmillon
07-05-2010, 01:03 AM
I think that in the right situation, Chad Henne could become a very good qb, but i wouldn't risk building a team around him

KabaModernFan
07-05-2010, 03:46 PM
"Ummm...what? Ray Rice had 5 more receptions than Derrick Mason did, and about 300 yards less than Derrick Mason did. I'm sure you'll find some way for it to be Flacco's fault that Ray Rice was arguably the second-best receiver on the team last year though."

.....so?....I'm missing your point.

It's not Flacco's fault, it just shows Flacco doesn't look down the field very much. You're forgetting the fact that there's more than one WR on the field, and Rice's primary job shouldn't be to catch passes. Flacco only threw to one WR, or he threw to his RB on the short, high percentage route. He doesn't get the ball down the field, but one would think he'd have a high completion percentage. He didn't even have that.

Rice's job is more of an outlet for the QB to throw if his main option isn't there. To me, throwing to the running back that often only suggests Flacco was making one read down the field, and dumping it short and safe when that one read isn't there. It doesn't take a great quarterback to make that throw. If he's great, he's completing far more passes down the field than what he's showing.

Ahhh, now I understand. Sorry, I didn't fully get that that was your point from your first post. My apologies, and now that I see what you were saying I'm actually inclined to agree.

FLPackerFan
07-05-2010, 03:53 PM
Where is Aaron Rodgers on this list? of the ones on the list I would go with Matt Ryan. I think Bradford will become a top QB, but he needs to have talent around him. he will take his lumps. As for Tim Tebow, he needs work. Going to Denver was perfect for him. Right now if he were to start, he would fail. All i will say is don't bet against him. I watched him foe 4 years here in Florida. This kid works harder than most. He will do whatever it takes to learn and become better. We won't know for a few years. Don't bet against him. Aaron Rogers needed work and sat for three years, look how he turned out. Young QBs need to sit and learn. The Manning's and Marino's do not come around that often.

DannyMilk
07-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Where is Aaron Rodgers on this list? of the ones on the list I would go with Matt Ryan. I think Bradford will become a top QB, but he needs to have talent around him. he will take his lumps. As for Tim Tebow, he needs work. Going to Denver was perfect for him. Right now if he were to start, he would fail. All i will say is don't bet against him. I watched him foe 4 years here in Florida. This kid works harder than most. He will do whatever it takes to learn and become better. We won't know for a few years. Don't bet against him. Aaron Rogers needed work and sat for three years, look how he turned out. Young QBs need to sit and learn. The Manning's and Marino's do not come around that often.

Don't you worry your pretty little cheesy head...I think evreyone has Rodgers ahead of all these guys, that's why he's not on the list...there's a bunch of Rodgers love on this site, you'll fit right in

davethepanther
07-06-2010, 03:48 AM
Ryan is OK. If you take his numbers from mid-season of his rookie year on... He is average. I think he will be the Falcons long time QB but I don't think he is the savior of the franchise.

Atlanta is on of those teams that love the UMPIRE pick. It is going to be interesting to see how far the percentage points drop now that the Umpire will be out of the way.

Clausen is in a perfect situation. He won't be required to jump right in and start. He is going to be able to sit back learn the offense and when it is time. He will step in and be the QB of the future.

wade
07-06-2010, 04:50 PM
I went with Matt Ryan, as I think he is a great quarterback with a great head on his shoulders for being such a young guy. The man's first pro pass was a 55 yard TD pass. I have to agree with the census, most of the other players have too much to prove at this point.

Tinindian
07-06-2010, 06:55 PM
As a Dolphins fan, I am more than happy with Henne thus far. But for the purpose of this list, I think the best is Matt Ryan with Joe Flacco in a close 2nd. In the draft a couple of years ago, the big question for the Dolphins was Jake Long or Matt Ryan. It was a classic Chicken and the Egg question really. I came down on the side of Long because it seemed to me to be a waste of a pick on a QB that high when you couldn't protect him, but I certainly wouldn't have scoffed at Matt Ryan either. In fact my hopes at the time was that Flacco would fall back far enough so we could have gotten him at 32 that year. As it is they addressed it a little further back with Henne.

I really like Henne and expect good things from him, but I also like Sanchez and I think he is going to be a good one for the Jests too. At this point though, neither have shown enough or had enough opportunities to rank at #1 on this list.

Cris Collinsworth
07-06-2010, 07:04 PM
You would like Mark Sanchez. He is a wide-eyed, energetic guy that will be a great leader. Not quite as playful as Brett, Phillip Rivers, or Matt Hasselbeck, but in that general category. He was doing snow angels during their first snow practice. Rex Ryan bought his personality as much as his arm, and Rex admits it.

Tinindian
07-06-2010, 07:19 PM
One more thing to add. You just have to love Stafford after the way he wormed his way back to the field and won that game with a seperated shoulder last year. Moxie, pure Moxie. I'd like to think that if I was playing that would be a guy I'd run through walls for.

tbelcher11
07-06-2010, 07:37 PM
One more thing to add. You just have to love Stafford after the way he wormed his way back to the field and won that game with a seperated shoulder last year. Moxie, pure Moxie. I'd like to think that if I was playing that would be a guy I'd run through walls for.

YES! That was incredible. NFL Films has that whole sequence available on hulu. http://www.hulu.com/watch/145383/nfl-films-presents-tough-guys
Fast forward to about the 10 minute mark. Unbelievable footage. What a gutsy performance by this guy. Love it.

Polishguy00
07-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Unfortunately, guts do not remove bad interceptions from the stat page. He had quite a few of those. I will admit that I like Stafford and that sequence was awesome and the kind of moment that it is fun to talk about. The answer has to be Ryan. After Ryan, I have to go with Flacco. For me, Stafford is third.

In a related note, Tebow is absolutely the best fullback/tight end on this list.