PDA

View Full Version : Helmets flying off

msclemons
08-23-2010, 12:30 AM
Is it just me or have helmets been falling off a lot more this pre-season? It seems like every game I'm seeing helmets rolling around all over the field. Is there a new Easy-Off helmet design that I haven't heard about?

BuckeyeRidley
08-23-2010, 12:33 AM
I've noticed that too Clem!! I think that's crazy & league should look into that as that is something that draws back to head injuries and concussions. Coughlin didn't know how Eli's flew off as he said his had columns and such in there. Must be one of those things that may be a little concern right now. I would want to find out more information and research and learn more about what is going on.

brauneyz
08-23-2010, 12:44 AM
Looks like a couple of us share the same vision. More injuries, more flying helmets... What's next, more tweets from the field? Oh wait, Ocho's already proven that. :)

DannyMilk
08-23-2010, 02:22 AM
idk what game I DVRd...it was either Steelers/Giants or Packers/Seahawks...but seriously over a dozen players had there helmets come off, and of course not even from hard hits!

Andy Freeland
08-23-2010, 08:31 AM
I don't know if it's common knowledge, but one of the new rules this year is that if a ball carrier's helmet comes off, the play is blown dead immediately.

giantsfan97
08-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Interesting, I definitely hadn't heard that Andy. I hope there's no situation that comes up where the offense gets screwed out of a game-winning play because of it.

brauneyz
08-23-2010, 11:30 AM
I don't know if it's common knowledge, but one of the new rules this year is that if a ball carrier's helmet comes off, the play is blown dead immediately.

Right, and that wouldn't have helped in Eli's situation because he wasn't the ball carrier, but it sure would have squelched that great hatless run made by Jason Witten last year!

msclemons
08-23-2010, 12:46 PM
That rule makes sense but I'm glad it wasn't in place before Steve Young's epic run against the Chargers.

Phil McConkey
08-23-2010, 01:18 PM
I agree, I've never seen so many helmets flying off. Mine was on so securely that I didn't even need a chinstrap.

brauneyz
08-23-2010, 02:48 PM
I agree, I've never seen so many helmets flying off. Mine was on so securely that I didn't even need a chinstrap.

I'm trying very hard not to make a fathead joke. LOL!

Omnes viri!

bluestree
08-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Seems to me helmets have been coming off for the last two seasons. I think it started becoming noticeable in '08, anybody else see that? In light of Phil's comment, it must be the way they are fitting the helmets, or a change in helmet construction, but I noticed it before this preseason. Note the rule change was in place before this preseason started. Something's up, and somebody knows what it is. Pro's; clue us in.

Chompurself
08-23-2010, 03:45 PM

Kuddos to the NFL for this rule...because we all know that these guys will continue on with the play unless somebody stops them

bluestree
10-19-2010, 11:51 PM

New information relative to this post. Tonight on NFL network Total Access Simon Wilcotts, in a discussion of concussion caused by H2H hits, said "the new helmets are looser around the jaw. That's why you see so many helmets coming off." According to Wilcotts, helmets no longer snug the chin. This allows some movement in the jaw area, which absorbs energy and is supposed to lessen the chance of concussion.
Have to try to find some corroboration, but I assume Wilcotts wasn't pulling this out of the same place I get a lot of my football insight.

msclemons
10-20-2010, 12:55 AM
Wow... note my incredible prognosticating skills.

Also, why would making the helmets loose around the jaw help protect heads?

bluestree
10-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Wow... note my incredible prognosticating skills.

Also, why would making the helmets loose around the jaw help protect heads?

They didn't go into detail, but if you look at the physics, it's kind of like the way the body of a car is made to crumple on impact, the movement of the jaw when the head is struck absorbs some of the force of the impact. A heavy, rigid car body transfers the energy of a crash to the occupants. You're sacrificing the fenders to protect the cabin, and sacrificing the jaw to protect the brain.
So much for Easy Off helmets. Now if they could perfect those X Ray glasses!

GoBigOrGoHome
10-20-2010, 04:53 PM
I remember hearing something recently about a new style of mouthguard that supposedly lowers concussion risks.

Anyone know anything about this?

se7en
10-20-2010, 08:43 PM
a great mouth guard will stop your jaw from moving on impact sending it against the nerve bundle right behind where it is hinged causing disconnect and knocking a person out. A concussion is due to your brain slamming against the inside of your skull through that jelly that surrounds it for protection.

mouth guard stopping brain from moving? I guess anything is possible.

DannyMilk
10-25-2010, 04:11 AM
hi, no one wants to visit your site...put it on your profile page, which no one will visit, and eff off bud