PDA

View Full Version : Draft Media

packa7x
01-25-2013, 01:48 PM
What do you guys use to research players/mock drafts for the draft?? My favorite that I've found is the NFL Draft podcast from ESPN...Mel Kiper and Todd McShay actually talk like humans and share A LOT of knowledge. It's great.

Bengals1181
01-25-2013, 02:00 PM
www.draftcoundown.com

Used to use nfldraftscout.com a lot, which is now part of CBS Sports.

I use walterfootball.com for lists of players and combine numbers, but don't pay attention to their rankings/opinions. They're basically like PFT. Great at compiling information from other sources, but their opinion on football isn't worth the imaginary piece of paper its written on.

packa7x
01-25-2013, 02:13 PM
www.draftcoundown.com

Used to use nfldraftscout.com a lot, which is now part of CBS Sports.

I use walterfootball.com for lists of players and combine numbers, but don't pay attention to their rankings/opinions. They're basically like PFT. Great at compiling information from other sources, but their opinion on football isn't worth the imaginary piece of paper its written on.

Awesome! I used to use NFL Draft Countdown back in HS. I went to the 2005 NFL Draft with my buddy and we used that site EVERY day to countdown the seconds until we got to go! I find that NFP's rankings are pretty good too, though I'm not that crazy about Wes Bunting or whatever his name is.

darvon
01-25-2013, 07:54 PM
I used to use something from 4th Down productions. They would send me a DVD with a bio, their analysis, and tape for the top 100 or so players.

A friend and I used to go to a bar for the entire draft. We had 300 page notebooks with analysis and the DVD was in a laptop so that when ESPN showed a guess prior to a selection, we could bring up our own highlights real.

We got a lot of envious stares from the other patrons and staff, but we tipped real well so they loved us.

vancemeek
01-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Draftbreakdown.com has game video of prospects. It's an entire game condensed down to only the plays that prospect was in for.

Docta
01-25-2013, 08:34 PM
I find that NFP's rankings are pretty good too, though I'm not that crazy about Wes Bunting or whatever his name is.
Bunting got a job somewhere in the NFL. Russell Lande took his place.

Kiper's only good at figuring out where a player's going to end up, but that's what the average fan mainly cares about. McShay's not really good for anything. Just ask Jevan Snead.

Trumpetbdw
01-25-2013, 09:11 PM
Here's a video link to some of the better college seniors in the country...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gODZzSOelss

I'll predict that Quatro Quatro will be a late riser in mocks, but I really like the athleticism Hingle McCringleberry has shown throughout his college career.

KabaModernFan
01-25-2013, 09:22 PM
McShay's not really good for anything. Just ask Jevan Snead.

Five out of five stars. You win the internet. Literally made me laugh out loud.

Although in his defense, practically everybody was in love with Snead after that Cotton Bowl game.

tubbs1518
01-25-2013, 10:21 PM
Kaba, have you watched much of Amerson? I've watched some tape from last year and this year and it's a little staggering the difference in his level of play to me. Almost like he either wasn't trying as much this year or was hurt or something.

KabaModernFan
01-25-2013, 11:12 PM
Kaba, have you watched much of Amerson? I've watched some tape from last year and this year and it's a little staggering the difference in his level of play to me. Almost like he either wasn't trying as much this year or was hurt or something.

It's possible he was affected by early season struggles against Tennessee and Clemson. A lot of people point to those games when talking about Amerson and that maybe those poor performances got inside his head. It seems like teams just figured out how to exploit him though. He doesn't have great speed and he's very over-aggressive. Somebody mentioned it on here, I think it may have been Docta, that Amerson's future could be at safety. He played safety in high school and his ball skills and aggressive play style seem to fit there. If he runs poorly at the Combine and at his Pro Day, I think it's an idea that should really be considered.

Bengals1181
01-25-2013, 11:21 PM
Awesome! I used to use NFL Draft Countdown back in HS. I went to the 2005 NFL Draft with my buddy and we used that site EVERY day to countdown the seconds until we got to go! I find that NFP's rankings are pretty good too, though I'm not that crazy about Wes Bunting or whatever his name is.

Bunting was NFP.

Bengals1181
01-25-2013, 11:23 PM
He's not a top 50 prospect, but IMO the best linebacker no one is talking about is Michael Mauti. From what I've watched, the model of consistency.

tubbs1518
01-25-2013, 11:46 PM
It's possible he was affected by early season struggles against Tennessee and Clemson. A lot of people point to those games when talking about Amerson and that maybe those poor performances got inside his head. It seems like teams just figured out how to exploit him though. He doesn't have great speed and he's very over-aggressive. Somebody mentioned it on here, I think it may have been Docta, that Amerson's future could be at safety. He played safety in high school and his ball skills and aggressive play style seem to fit there. If he runs poorly at the Combine and at his Pro Day, I think it's an idea that should really be considered.

I thought he could play safety too. He was a guy I really liked the Bengals looking at in the 2nd to fill that ball hawking safety we haven't had in forever. Nelson is pretty good, but he is better in the box, blitzing and things like that. Amerson would be a really good compliment.

tubbs1518
01-25-2013, 11:47 PM
He's not a top 50 prospect, but IMO the best linebacker no one is talking about is Michael Mauti. From what I've watched, the model of consistency.

For me the Bengals have to draft either Ogletree, Arthur Brown or Khaseem Green. One of those 3 should be in a Bengals uniform no doubt next year.

Trumpetbdw
01-25-2013, 11:49 PM

I cannot begin to tell you how much admiration I have for the character and leadership of Mike Mauti. Mauti was also an equally fantastic football player.

But he just suffered his 3rd knee injury. I haven't seen official confirmation, but it appears he tore his left acl for the 2nd time in his next to last college game. He had also previously torn his right acl.

3 acl tears usually don't play well as scouts are breaking down prospects. Which is unfortunate for him, because he was a great one.

Bengals1181
01-26-2013, 09:09 AM
I cannot begin to tell you how much admiration I have for the character and leadership of Mike Mauti. Mauti was also an equally fantastic football player.

But he just suffered his 3rd knee injury. I haven't seen official confirmation, but it appears he tore his left acl for the 2nd time in his next to last college game. He had also previously torn his right acl.

3 acl tears usually don't play well as scouts are breaking down prospects. Which is unfortunate for him, because he was a great one.

Oh man didn't hear that. No wonder no one is talking about him. Love the way he handled the Penn state thing and is very good on the field. Reminds me of Sean Lee.

Trumpetbdw
01-26-2013, 09:56 AM
Oh man didn't hear that. No wonder no one is talking about him. Love the way he handled the Penn state thing and is very good on the field. Reminds me of Sean Lee.

I think Sean Lee was more talented, and a better fit for the pro game. Plus, Sean Lee played on the inside, while Mauti played outside in college, but yes, he's in that type of mold. Paul Posluszny, who played outside at Penn State, may be a more apt comparison, especially considering the intangibles. But Mauti is a bit smaller than both Lee and Posluszny.

When it was announced that he would miss his final game, senior day at Penn State, the team did something highly unusual for a guy who was "only" missing a game due to injury. They all donned the number 42, his number, on the side of their helmet. That should tell you all you need to know regarding the guy's leadership, and about the way his teammates and coaches felt about him.

(I'll post the link to the picture below. I tried to post it within the response, but my new computer is not allowing me to do that).

http://bigtennetworks.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/psuhelmet.jpeg

Bengals1181
01-26-2013, 10:56 AM
I think Sean Lee was more talented, and a better fit for the pro game. Plus, Sean Lee played on the inside, while Mauti played outside in college, but yes, he's in that type of mold. Paul Posluszny, who played outside at Penn State, may be a more apt comparison, especially considering the intangibles. But Mauti is a bit smaller than both Lee and Posluszny.

When it was announced that he would miss his final game, senior day at Penn State, the team did something highly unusual for a guy who was "only" missing a game due to injury. They all donned the number 42, his number, on the side of their helmet. That should tell you all you need to know regarding the guy's leadership, and about the way his teammates and coaches felt about him.

(I'll post the link to the picture below. I tried to post it within the response, but my new computer is not allowing me to do that).

thats absolutely awesome. I'd totally use a 5th rounder on him and hope he recovers. Even if he's just your 5th or 6th backer you're probably doing alright.

wxwax
01-26-2013, 02:15 PM

packa7x
01-26-2013, 02:54 PM
Bunting was NFP.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I'm not a fan of his. I was going to take the scouting class that they offered, but Wes didn't impress me.

tubbs1518
01-27-2013, 10:54 PM
Got to interview Sio Moore, LB Uconn today. Really cool kid, extremely nice. Had a lot of fun doing it.

tubbs1518
01-28-2013, 07:09 AM
Also got to do an interview with Jonathan Franklin, RB UCLA. Seemed like on of the most down to earth, genuine guys I've talked too.

edave
01-28-2013, 08:44 AM
Are you working for a site doing draft coverage or doing this by yourself?

Bengals1181
01-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Are you working for a site doing draft coverage or doing this by yourself?

He's training to be a professional stalker.

:)

packa7x
01-28-2013, 10:12 AM
I used to use something from 4th Down productions. They would send me a DVD with a bio, their analysis, and tape for the top 100 or so players.

A friend and I used to go to a bar for the entire draft. We had 300 page notebooks with analysis and the DVD was in a laptop so that when ESPN showed a guess prior to a selection, we could bring up our own highlights real.

We got a lot of envious stares from the other patrons and staff, but we tipped real well so they loved us.

D, that sounds awesome. I spent 5 drafts at the actual venue because thankfully I live minutes away from NYC. Still, while I'm there, I have no less than 5 magazines, a list with every team at every draft spot, a list of all the draft eligible players, a pen, a mini radio to listen to ESPN or NFLN, and of course beer. I'd sit there and research every single pick that was taken, the fit, etc. Being at the actual draft, there's not a lot you can do aside from, sit, eat, drink, and take notes, so it passes the whole like 12 hours of the event.

packa7x
01-28-2013, 10:13 AM

Just a little aside about Sean Lee....I have a feeling he's going to be the next big LB in the league. I think he fits much better as the mike in a 4-3 cover 2 scheme. Dude is a ball hawk and he's in the mold of a Brian Urlacher where he's bascially a SS playing MLB.

packa7x
01-28-2013, 10:15 AM
He's training to be a professional stalker.

:)

LOL. But seriously Tubbs, kind of a weird thing to bring up with no other background info. Very cool that you got to interview two prospects, what was the interview for??

packa7x
01-28-2013, 10:17 AM
Bunting got a job somewhere in the NFL. Russell Lande took his place.

Kiper's only good at figuring out where a player's going to end up, but that's what the average fan mainly cares about. McShay's not really good for anything. Just ask Jevan Snead.

Ah, good to see Bunting leave. He did good work, I just didn't agree a lot with him.

As far as Kiper/McShay, have you listened to their podcast??? Night and day between that and ESPN TV Coverage. They don't bicker and they make extremely good points. It's really a quality listen.

tubbs1518
01-28-2013, 10:20 AM
I contacted them, set up the interviews and did the interviews all on my own. But they will be going up on a website that I wrote for.

packa7x
01-28-2013, 10:25 AM
I contacted them, set up the interviews and did the interviews all on my own. But they will be going up on a website that I wrote for.

Very cool, let us know when they get posted, I'd like to check them out.

tubbs1518
01-28-2013, 12:16 PM
I will. They were pretty basic interviews. What team they liked growing up. Evaluate their strengths and weaknesses. Biggest accomplishments. Things like that. Both were real nice guys though.

packa7x
01-28-2013, 02:03 PM
I will. They were pretty basic interviews. What team they liked growing up. Evaluate their strengths and weaknesses. Biggest accomplishments. Things like that. Both were real nice guys though.

That's still cool that they did that for ya.

tubbs1518
01-28-2013, 02:20 PM
That's still cool that they did that for ya.

That's what I thought. I mean it's not like they gain a whole lot out of it. A little more getting their name out there. Our articles do get linked onto SI's page sometimes so it could get out there, but it's not like my interview is making them money, or moving them up in the draft. They both just seemed like genuinely good guys who don't care to talk to the fans.

packa7x
01-28-2013, 03:08 PM
That's what I thought. I mean it's not like they gain a whole lot out of it. A little more getting their name out there. Our articles do get linked onto SI's page sometimes so it could get out there, but it's not like my interview is making them money, or moving them up in the draft. They both just seemed like genuinely good guys who don't care to talk to the fans.

Yeah, it sounds like it. Did you choose them because you're fans of them or because you think Cincy may take them? Or another reason?

tubbs1518
01-30-2013, 10:33 AM
Yeah, it sounds like it. Did you choose them because you're fans of them or because you think Cincy may take them? Or another reason?

A little of both. Franklin is probably my favorite back in the draft for Cincy. He fits exactly what we need. Speed, break away ability on any play, the ability to catch out of the backfield. And Moore really impressed me with his ability to do a little of everything. Coverage, playing the run, blitzing.

Here is the Franklin interview. The 2nd page looks a little smooshed together because I didn't want to put it on 3 pages. That is pointless for everyone and involves more clicking than needed.

http://stripehype.com/2013/01/30/stripe-hype-interview-johnathan-franklin/

packa7x
02-01-2013, 12:42 PM
Very cool interview, Tubbs. I was kind of disappointed with his answers until he got to the end. I hope he does become mayor of LA.

I'm checking out some more of your stuff on StripeHype, good writeup on Khaseem Green. I started going to RU when he played safety and saw the successful switch to LB. I grew up in the town next to him and I know a ton of guys who know him personally. He's definitely going to be a stud in the NFL and you guys would benefit a lot from him.

KabaModernFan
02-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Khaseem Greene could be Ernie Sims if he had lived up to the hype. They profile as similar players. Both of them are undersized athletic freaks with easy sideline-to-sideline capability. I think if he measures well at the Combine then people will be more confident in selecting him.

packa7x
02-01-2013, 06:50 PM
Khaseem Greene could be Ernie Sims if he had lived up to the hype. They profile as similar players. Both of them are undersized athletic freaks with easy sideline-to-sideline capability. I think if he measures well at the Combine then people will be more confident in selecting him.

I think Greene can slip down to the early 3rd. What a steal if someone can get him.

KabaModernFan
02-01-2013, 07:15 PM
I think Greene can slip down to the early 3rd. What a steal if someone can get him.

I can't see him falling that far. I think he's a solid bet at this point to go somewhere in the mid-second round.

packa7x
02-01-2013, 07:49 PM
I can't see him falling that far. I think he's a solid bet at this point to go somewhere in the mid-second round.

Yeah, you're probably right, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him slip a bit either.

tubbs1518
02-06-2013, 02:18 PM
http://stripehype.com/2013/02/06/stripe-hype-interview-uconn-linebacker-sio-moore/

Here is my interview with Uconn Linebacker Sio Moore. I think you will enjoy his answers more Packa.

packa7x
02-06-2013, 08:44 PM
Definitely enjoyed them more, everyone else should check it out too! Good read!