PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Fame - In or Out?: Andre Reed

KabaModernFan
08-23-2010, 03:42 PM
There has been a dearth of talent in Buffalo for a while now, but at least they can always hang onto the memories of the early 1990s. Andre Reed went to four Super Bowls in a row with the Bills, unfortunately they were all losses. The Bills never made it back to the Super Bowl after that 4th loss in 1994, but Andre Reed continued to put up numbers with Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas in the K-Gun. Reed has been one of the more controversial candidates up for Hall of Fame consideration lately, and now it's time to settle it once and for all. Is Andre Reed worthy of getting his spot in Canton? Is he in or out?

Player: Andre Reed

Résumé:

- 16 seasons in the NFL
- 4 Super Bowl appearances, 0 Super Bowl victories (Total: 27 Rec - 323 Yds - 0 TDs)
- 11th All-Time in receiving yards (10th All-Time: Torry Holt, 12th All-Time: Steve Largent*)
- 11th All-Time in receiving TDs (10th All-Time: Don Maynard*, 12th All-Time: Paul Warfield*)
- Started 217 career games (2nd most all-time amongst wide receivers)
- Played for one other team in career (Washington Redskins)
- 7 Pro Bowl appearances (1988-1994)
- Was never a First Team All Pro selection

Previous Results:
Kurt Warner - In (81.82%)
Deion Sanders - In (91.3%)
Jamal Lewis - Out (100%)

Also, just a reminder to please vote in the poll guys. If you don't vote in the poll then your vote won't count because I'm not going to go through all the posts and see who didn't vote and what they said.

FLPackerFan
08-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Andre Reed in my book is a HOFer. His career numbers justify being in the HOF. In addition he was very instrumental is those four straight Super Bowls for the Bills. I think he should go in before Tim Brown.

Pattrick
08-23-2010, 06:43 PM
You also have to remember that he played all his home games in Buffalo, where it's windy as heck and your QB has to have a cannon for an arm and your WR needs to be able to fight for the ball once it's in the air. Reed is one of the top WR's of all time. He never gets enough respect IMO.

Colts01
08-23-2010, 08:07 PM
If Irvin is in,he should be in without question
Reed: REC:951 YDS:13198 TD:87

Irvin:REC: 750 YDS:11904 TD:65

And yes I think Irvin should be in,but also think Reed should have already been elected

Turk Schonert
08-23-2010, 08:40 PM
If Irvin is in,he should be in without question
Reed: REC:951 YDS:13198 TD:87

Irvin:REC: 750 YDS:11904 TD:65

And yes I think Irvin should be in,but also think Reed should have already been elected

Reed should of made it before Irvin !!

bluestree
08-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Agreed, on Reed vs. Irvin. For his entire career Andre Reed was the second or third best at his position, and playing in the Jerry Rice era, that says a lot.

trh5001
08-23-2010, 11:12 PM
Reed should of made it before Irvin !!

Sadly too much emphasis is put on winning a championship.

Pattrick
08-23-2010, 11:22 PM
I think Reed is going to suffer from "Art Monk" disease, sadly.

DaBearsFan
08-23-2010, 11:58 PM
Admittedly, this was very tough for me. But I can't overlook the fact that he was a top player on 4 straight Super Bowl teams and, though never in my mind had an elite year, never really had a bad year while in his prime. Very borderline in my mind though (for what it's worth, and I'll probably catch some flak for this, but I think Irvin is in fact better than Reed. I looked and could see many different years where he was great, even if the career stats aren't as good as Reed's).

msclemons
08-24-2010, 12:07 AM
Reed suffers from the same problem as Art Monk. There were a lot of really good receivers in his era and their accomplishments shadow Reed's. Unfortunately it will come down to team hype and Super Bowl wins so Monk and Reed will lose out.

InNOutBurgler
08-24-2010, 03:59 AM
Don't forget the guy played his freakin college ball at KUTZTOWN!!! Most of you probably don't even know where that is...well...let's just say it's no State College. I disagree with Turk though...Irvin deserves to get in first because he has many more drug charges against him.

Pattrick
08-24-2010, 04:12 AM
Don't forget the guy played his freakin college ball at KUTZTOWN!!! Most of you probably don't even know where that is...well...let's just say it's no State College. I disagree with Turk though...Irvin deserves to get in first because he has many more drug charges against him.

You're on fire tonight, Burgler. I know it's a different fast-food franchise but...."I'm lovin it."

InNOutBurgler
08-24-2010, 04:19 AM
I'm at work...it's the only time I can put in work on FPL...and I'm in a bad mood because I have to work for a bureaucratic dinosaur boss with no spine...but I digress.....such is life working for the government...I should be used to it by now. I just need football season to start...then I'll be better. Phins better be good though to balance out the suck that Penn State is going to field this year.

Pattrick
08-24-2010, 04:29 AM
Awww Geez.... a job!!!! I remember those days, very fondly. It's gotta suck, sorry.

so working for the type of boss that you do, how many times a day do you play out the Fax machine scene from OfficeSpace in your head?

InNOutBurgler
08-24-2010, 04:38 AM
We have no fax machine...the fantasies that keeps me going are my boss retiring, me playing DE for the Dolphins in a lockout year and......

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/images/08/19/dolphins-cheerleader.jpg

Pattrick
08-24-2010, 04:43 AM
Whoa. Thats all I can say. whoa.

InNOutBurgler
08-24-2010, 04:45 AM
Thinking about being a Phins fan now aren't you? Although it isn't like San Fran is lacking...I love that town

Pattrick
08-24-2010, 04:49 AM
Nope, staying true to my team. There are lovely ladies all over the country. San Fran included.

Except West Virginia. There are no lovely ladies there.

InNOutBurgler
08-24-2010, 04:54 AM
Nope, staying true to my team. There are lovely ladies all over the country. San Fran included.

Except West Virginia. There are no lovely ladies there.

Lovely sheep though...

Pattrick
08-24-2010, 05:42 AM
Theres a joke about sheep and why a disgusting person would "enjoy it's company" on the edge of a cliff but I don't think it's appropriate for FPL.