PDA

View Full Version : 2014 First Round Shortlist

KabaModernFan
05-29-2013, 03:22 AM
So I've recently begun the process of preparing for the 2014 Draft. I know, I'm way behind when compared to other draftniks out there, but as crazy as it may seem, I'm not sure that the world needs a 2014 Mock Draft the same week that the 2013 Draft ends. Anyway, I'm currently assembling a shortlist of prospects whom I believe could either potentially find themselves in the first round of the 2014 Draft, or simply intrigue me all the same. Once I finish, I'll start doing actual video scouting on the prospects on the final list in order to begin assembling some rankings as we get closer to the start of the college football preseason.

Below is my shortlist as currently composed, but I wanted to publish it here in order to get some feedback and input from the other Draft enthusiasts here. Please do mention any prospects I may be missing, or guys who you all find particularly intriguing as well, because I always enjoy getting input from others on this sort of thing.

Quarterbacks:

Tajh Boyd - Clemson - SR
Teddy Bridgewater - Louisville - JR
Derek Carr - Fresno State - SR
A.J. McCarron - Alabama - SR
Zach Mettenberger - LSU - SR
Aaron Murray - Georgia - SR

Runningbacks:

Ka'Deem Carey - Arizona - JR
LaDarius Perkins - Mississippi State - SR
Silas Redd - USC - SR
Lache Seastrunk - Baylor - JR
De'Anthony Thomas - Oregon - JR
Damien Williams - Oklahoma - SR

Wide Receivers:

Brandon Coleman - Rutgers - JR
Cody Hoffman - BYU - SR
Marqise Lee - USC - JR
Jordan Matthews - Vanderbilt - SR
Kevin Norwood - Alabama - SR
Sammy Watkins - Clemson - JR

Tight Ends:

Colt Lyerla - Oregon - JR
Austin Sefarian-Jenkins - Washington - JR

Offensive Tackles:

Seantrel Henderson - Miami (FL) - SR
James Hurst - North Carolina - SR
Cyrus Kouandjio - Alabama - JR
Taylor Lewan - Michigan - SR
Jake Matthews - Texas A&M - SR
Antonio Richardson - Tennessee - JR

Guards:

Cyril Richardson - Baylor - SR
David Yankey - Stanford - JR

Centers:

N/A

Defensive Ends:

Morgan Breslin - USC - SR
Jadeveon Clowney - South Carolina - JR
James Gayle - Virginia Tech - SR
Jackson Jeffcoat - Texas - SR
Kareem Martin - North Carolina - SR
Stephon Tuitt - Notre Dame - JR

Defensive Tackles:

Calvin Barnett - Oklahoma State - SR
DeAndre Coleman - California - SR
Ra'Shede Hageman - Minnesota - SR
Timmy Jernigan - Florida State - JR
Anthony Johnson - LSU - JR
Daniel McCullers - Tennessee - SR
Louis Nix - Notre Dame - JR
Will Sutton - Arizona State - SR

Outside Linebackers:

Anthony Barr - UCLA - SR
Adrian Hubbard - Alabama - JR
C.J. Mosley - Alabama - SR
Kyle Van Noy - BYU - SR
Ryan Shazier - Ohio State - JR

Inside Linebackers:

Andrew Jackson - Western Kentucky - SR
A.J. Johnson - Tennessee - SR

Cornerbacks:

Aaron Colvin - Oklahoma - SR
Ifo Ekpre-Olomu - Oregon - JR
LaMarcus Joyner - Florida State - SR
Louchiez Purifoy - Florida - JR
Marcus Roberson - Florida - JR
Bradley Roby - Ohio State - JR
Jason Verrett - TCU - SR

Safeties:

C.J. Barnett - Ohio State - SR
HaSean Clinton-Dix - Alabama - JR
Ed Reynolds - Stanford - JR
Dezmen Southward - Wisconsin - SR

wxwax
05-29-2013, 02:39 PM
It's going to be an interesting season for Aaron Murray. He definitely showed some growth last year. More poise, better decision making. Let's see if he plateaus, or turns into a true top-tier QB. It's not often you see a LSU QB so highly rated. :D

Thanks for doing this. I watch a lot of college ball and it's nice to have some folks to watch out for.

Bengals1181
05-29-2013, 02:43 PM
continues to baffle me that Stanford LB Shayne Skov isn't showing up on anyone's list. IMO he would have been one of the top LB's taken in the 2013 draft had he come out.

KabaModernFan
05-29-2013, 03:34 PM
It's going to be an interesting season for Aaron Murray. He definitely showed some growth last year. More poise, better decision making. Let's see if he plateaus, or turns into a true top-tier QB. It's not often you see a LSU QB so highly rated. :D

Thanks for doing this. I watch a lot of college ball and it's nice to have some folks to watch out for.

Murray is a guy I'm really going to be watching closely too. There's a lot of talent in this group of quarterbacks, but then again, we were saying the same thing this time last year when it looked like there could potentially be eight QBs off the board in the first two rounds. It goes to show that nothing is set in stone. If guys like Bridgewater and McCarron struggle and lose their spots at the top, it could open up the doors for Aaron Murray provided he continues to improve as a senior.

KabaModernFan
05-29-2013, 03:40 PM
continues to baffle me that Stanford LB Shayne Skov isn't showing up on anyone's list. IMO he would have been one of the top LB's taken in the 2013 draft had he come out.

Skov was one of the last guys I skimmed off of this list. I like him, but I'm not really sure that he has first-round upside. He seems more like a player who will settle into a cushy spot in Round 2.

Bengals1181
05-29-2013, 03:42 PM
Skov was one of the last guys I skimmed off of this list. I like him, but I'm not really sure that he has first-round upside. He seems more like a player who will settle into a cushy spot in Round 2.

I'd put him above Shazier and Van Noy, though Van Noy is a different breed of backer. I also like him more than Barr and maybe a little more than Mosley.

KabaModernFan
05-29-2013, 03:46 PM
I'd put him above Shazier and Van Noy, though Van Noy is a different breed of backer. I also like him more than Barr and maybe a little more than Mosley.

Interesting. Well I'll definitely have to make sure to look at Skov some more then. I think another part of it might have to do with his previously injured knee.

tubbs1518
05-29-2013, 06:44 PM

Just my personal opinion, but Skov isn't close to the same level as Van Noy, Barr and Mosley. Van Noy is one of the most impressive guys I've watched. Watch the San Diego State Bowl game. Domination is the only word for it.

tubbs1518
05-29-2013, 06:45 PM
Murray is a guy I'm really going to be watching closely too. There's a lot of talent in this group of quarterbacks, but then again, we were saying the same thing this time last year when it looked like there could potentially be eight QBs off the board in the first two rounds. It goes to show that nothing is set in stone. If guys like Bridgewater and McCarron struggle and lose their spots at the top, it could open up the doors for Aaron Murray provided he continues to improve as a senior.

I don't have McCarron in my top 10 QB's. I don't think he will be a much better pro than any other Bama QB to roll out of there.

vancemeek
05-29-2013, 10:32 PM
I watched a lot of Aaron Murray tape for a draft website I am writing for. I don't have my notes handy, and will post some of them once I have them, but I liked him a lot. Poise, strong arm, good leader, quick release. A bit streaky though.

Here is my report on Silas Redd, since he's on your list as well.

Spring Scouting: Silas Redd Prospect Profile
Posted on May 28, 2013 by Vance Meek

SilasRedd

Silas Redd, RB, USC

Height: 5’10″

Weight: 200

Year: Senior

Silas Redd is one of a number of running backs who will spend the 2013 season trying to separate themselves from the pack as one of the top backs in the country. After two seasons at Penn State, he played at USC in 2012, having transferred in the wake of the scandal at his former school. After rushing for over 1,000 yards for the Nittany Lions, Redd ran just just over 900 yards for the Trojans, though he did have a higher yards per carry average at 5.7 ypc. He was USC’s leading rusher, but wasn’t given a heavy workload overall, with less than 200 carries. He enters 2013 with a chance to establish himself as a top runner and one of the top RBs in the coming draft class. This report was done with the aid of film from draftbreakdown.com.

Speed/Acceleration:

Redd isn’t a speed back. He has good top speed, but not great, with enough burst to break through to the second level, but not enough to consistently be a homerun threat. At the line of scrimmage, he shows an ability to quickly hit the holes that he is given and get by initial tacklers, using his ability to accelerate in a hurry and a suddenness with his legs in traffic. He generally makes an initial cut, gets up to his top speed, then runs until he’s hit. He won’t be a game-breaker at the next level, but he’s by no means a plodder.

Power:

Even though he isn’t a huge back, Redd has decent size and can generate some power. He doesn’t shy away from contact, and generally doesn’t go down on first contact. This ability to extend runs comes from the strength in his legs, which he uses very effectively, keeping them churning at all times. He can, and will, meet a would-be tackler head-on and gives as good as he gets, resulting in defenses needing more than one man to bring him down. He does sometimes run too high, which makes him easier to tackle, but still runs with good power.

Vision/Intelligence:

While Redd doesn’t have speed, and limited game-breaking ability, he maximizes gained yardage with very good vision and quick processing of what he sees. He is adept at knowing where defenders are at and using his blockers to get the most out of his runs, even if it’s only a few yards. There were times where he was too quick to cut the ball inside, eschewing an apparent lane outside where he might have gotten more yards. This is possibly a result of not trusting his speed to get to the corner. He is good at setting up blocks, showing patience in allowing a lane to form instead of just flying into a defender.

Moves:

Redd’s basic running style is to take the hand off, make a single cut, then run. While he isn’t overly shifty, he does a decent job at making slight moves to avoid tackles in traffic. He does’t make the big move, but he’s light on his feet and slippery. He mostly relies on either strength or burst and his good vision to get past defenders, choosing contact when confronted by a would-be tackler. He is somewhat limited in the number of moves in his skill set.

Blocking:

Redd is a willing blocker and showed an ability to impede pass rushers effectively. Whether he was asked to take on a blocker on his own, or just to help chip a blitzer, he did it willingly and fairly well. If he missed a block, it was a blitzer who used speed or a good move to beat him. His blocking is good enough to allow him to be effective in passing situations.

Hands:

With just nine receptions in 2012 and just 22 for his career so far, there’s not enough data to firmly decide how good a receiver he is. In the tape reviewed, he had just one reception on a screen that was blown up by the defense. No other passes were thrown his way, so it could be that he’s not a reliable receiver as determined by coaches, or it could be that USC just chose to use their other RBs for the passing game. He is solid in protecting the ball, but does display a tendency to carry the ball in the wrong arm, keeping it on the side where the defenders are coming from. This could result in more fumbles at the next level.

Injury/Character:

Redd is currently recovering from a knee injury, though not a serious one. He will miss the team’s spring practices, but is supposed to be ready for the season. His running style lends itself to a lot of contact, and a risk of injury. There aren’t any current character concerns with Redd. Despite having to split carries at USC, he played hard and apparently did so willingly.

Overall:

Redd probably made the right decision to return to school for his senior season, as it will give him a chance to shine for another season, and make a case to be an early round selection. He has the size and speed to be able to be an effective NFL player, and just needs to refine certain parts of his game. He’s a smart player, who doesn’t do any single thing great, but who does everything well enough. A big season in 2013 could push him into position as one of the best running backs in next year’s NFL Draft.

mkocs6
05-30-2013, 12:24 AM
Zach Mettenberger is one of those guys who, when I watch him, I just don't see it. Sure, he's big, but I just don't think he's anything special.

I haven't done any homework on him, but I've also seen David Fales (QB, San Jose State) getting some high marks. And am I the only one who's wondering if Johnny Manziel is going to shoot up boards all season next year, after the success of RGIII and Russell Wilson?

KabaModernFan
05-30-2013, 01:35 AM
Zach Mettenberger is one of those guys who, when I watch him, I just don't see it. Sure, he's big, but I just don't think he's anything special.

I haven't done any homework on him, but I've also seen David Fales (QB, San Jose State) getting some high marks. And am I the only one who's wondering if Johnny Manziel is going to shoot up boards all season next year, after the success of RGIII and Russell Wilson?

I thought that Mettenberger really started putting the pieces all together during the second-half of last season, and that's why I put him on the list. He's big, he's toolsy, and he has a high ceiling if he can perform in 2013 the way that he's expected to.

Fales would be the next QB on my board right now, but I have some concerns about him. There's no denying his accuracy, but some of that is certainly inflated by the spread offense they run at San Jose State. His arm strength also seems to max out at about thirty yards and you'd prefer to see more in that department.

hobbes27
05-30-2013, 01:42 AM

Yeah I just don't see Mettenberger as a high draft pick. Same with AJ McCarron. But Mettenberger did show some signs of brilliance near the end, so that could develop in 2013. McCarron is a backup QB at best.