PDA

View Full Version : Ochocinco is an ass!

buzmeg
08-24-2010, 03:28 PM
I don't care how funny he thinks he is; he is an ass. Leave the friggin' cell phone in your locker. Nothing is so important it needs to be twitted, tweeted, or whatever during a game.

CINCINNATI (AP) -- The National Football League has fined wide receiver Chad Ochocinco (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/5483) $25,000 for the timing of his tweets.
The league said Tuesday that Ochocinco's messages appeared on his Twitter page during a prohibited time at the Cincinnati Bengals (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/bengals) versus Philadelphia Eagles (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/eagles) preseason game on Friday night. It said the Bengal player violated policies on electronic device possession and posting of social media messages.
The use of cell phones, computers or other electronic equipment by players and coaches is prohibited from 90 minutes before kickoff through the end of the game.
The NFL's statement said Ochocinco's messages on the social media site showed up at 6:50 p.m. and 9:53 p.m. Kickoff was 8:07.

Copyright 2010 Associated Press (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/interactive_legal.html#AP).

KabaModernFan
08-24-2010, 03:31 PM
And...how does this make him an ass?

BMW
08-24-2010, 03:32 PM
Not to mention he was just whining about being hit too hard in preseason. I was at that game; he got lit up, but its football preseason or not. I'm sure he was just upset TO is getting more passes then him and that he dropped the ball that hit off his chest right before he got hit.

Wordsworth
08-24-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm fairly certain he did leave the phone in his locker. He wasn't doing this on the sidelines it was when he was in the locker room. I still think it's silly for players to be tweeting so much now anyways. I guess it's the society we live in today.

hassan812
08-24-2010, 07:13 PM
I do not understand how the twitter thing makes him an ass...it really isn't a big deal

bluestree
08-24-2010, 07:36 PM
If my junior varsity coach caught you whispering to another player (the twitter of my era) during practice he'd have you running gassers. And you'd better not let me see you smile...ever. He would come running up to you during a drill, hollering and spitting, but he had one bad eye and so you were never sure if he was yelling at you or the guy next to you. Ochocinco probably has him spinning as we speak.
Seriously, while it might be just Ocho goofing off, if the social media networking phenomenon spread to the whole team, you would not win a game, and since you can't have the whole team tweeting on the sidelines and in the locker room, then nobody can. Simple.

Bengals1181
08-24-2010, 07:57 PM
he did something stupid, but that certainly doesn't make him an ass.

Tinindian
08-24-2010, 08:13 PM
If my junior varsity coach caught you whispering to another player (the twitter of my era) during practice he'd have you running gassers. And you'd better not let me see you smile...ever. He would come running up to you during a drill, hollering and spitting, but he had one bad eye and so you were never sure if he was yelling at you or the guy next to you. Ochocinco probably has him spinning as we speak.
Seriously, while it might be just Ocho goofing off, if the social media networking phenomenon spread to the whole team, you would not win a game, and since you can't have the whole team tweeting on the sidelines and in the locker room, then nobody can. Simple.

Honestly, I get a kick out of Ochocinco. I think he's usually funny. But I agree with Bluestree, these guys are supposed to be focused on football, not tweeting.

philf
08-24-2010, 08:24 PM
Do you think he and TO will have a competition to see who can get fined the most?

msclemons
08-24-2010, 08:29 PM
I think his actions were silly but not quite approaching ass level. More like a knee, maybe upper hamstring.

For me, ass level means hurtful. And despite his goofiness I've never seen 85 be deliberately hurtful. Unless you count making coaches slap themselves in the forehead. :)

brauneyz
08-24-2010, 08:36 PM

I don't know that I'd call him an ass (though I certainly don't find him at all funny), maybe the OP finds his purposeful disruptions to be ass-like. Deliberately doing things you know will tick off the league and saying you don't care cuz you'll just pay the fine is more than immature. I find his antics boring and childish, and yes, he ought to know better. He's flippant. Well, maybe that does make him an ass. :)

StaggerMcTipsy
08-24-2010, 08:39 PM
Honestly, I get a kick out of Ochocinco. I think he's usually funny. But I agree with Bluestree, these guys are supposed to be focused on football, not tweeting.

As much as I hate to admit it, I get a kick out of him as well. The "bribing the ref" thing he did last year when he tried to give a ref a dollar was one of the funniest things I've ever seen on the football field. All that fine money goes to charity anyway, so if he wants to give $25K to the United Way by tweeting during a game I'm fine with it.

buzmeg
08-24-2010, 09:01 PM
One of the dictionary definitions of "ass" is: a stupid, foolish, or stubborn person.

IMO, Ochocinco certainly fits that.

Bengals1181
08-24-2010, 09:17 PM
One of the dictionary definitions of "ass" is: a stupid, foolish, or stubborn person.

IMO, Ochocinco certainly fits that.

sorry, but you sound like you had a problem with Chad LONG before he ever tweeted on a sideline.

Andy Freeland
08-24-2010, 09:27 PM
Buzmeg, I'd like to remind you that one of your Giants' linebackers beat up a fan so bad he ended up in the hospital. Oops, that was in a movie. I've always found Chad to be harmless.

buzmeg
08-24-2010, 09:33 PM
I do not understand how the twitter thing makes him an ass...it really isn't a big deal

It must be a big enough deal to warrant a $25,000. fine.

KabaModernFan
08-24-2010, 09:34 PM
I don't think it's healthy to be this angered by a tweet...

buzmeg
08-24-2010, 09:38 PM
Buzmeg, I'd like to remind you that one of your Giants' linebackers beat up a fan so bad he ended up in the hospital. Oops, that was in a movie. I've always found Chad to be harmless.

Andy, but one of the Giants wide receivers shot himself in the leg (in real life) with an illegal firearm. I had no problem with him being incarcerated.

Chad may be harmless but he's still stupid.

illmatc2
08-24-2010, 09:38 PM
I like Ocho cause he is creative and I'll be interested to watch some Bengals football to see what him and TO do this year. How angry is Marvin Lewis gonna be when TO and Ocho combine for a TD celebration and get their fifteen and fines?

Bengals1181
08-24-2010, 09:45 PM
I like Ocho cause he is creative and I'll be interested to watch some Bengals football to see what him and TO do this year. How angry is Marvin Lewis gonna be when TO and Ocho combine for a TD celebration and get their fifteen and fines?

I'd have a problem with getting flags (especially since our kickers suck), but I have no problem with him celebrating. If he's celebrating, that means he's in the endzone. For all his celebrations though, Chad has only ever gotten a flag I think like twice.

Bengals1181
08-24-2010, 09:50 PM

I'd have a problem with getting flags (especially since our kickers suck), but I have no problem with him celebrating. If he's celebrating, that means he's in the endzone. For all his celebrations though, Chad has only ever gotten a flag I think like twice. I'm not exaggerating when I say that Chad has probably spent close to $200-$300K on his fans.

He's making the game more fun for fans. Go with it.

illmatc2
08-24-2010, 09:55 PM
Ocho seems to really appreciate his fans and that makes him the opposite of an ass.

StarvinMarvin
08-24-2010, 09:56 PM
How angry is Marvin Lewis gonna be when TO and Ocho combine for a TD celebration and get their fifteen and fines?

Marvin will say all the things he always says after Chad gets flaged. "He has to do his job." "He has to be a professional" And he'll shake his head on the sideline. But Marvin also knows Chad is the hardest woking WR on the team (but being pushed by T.O. from all indications). Chad is a lot like a little boy who wants to be the center of attention. But tell me there aren't other WR on other teams who aren't just as much the diva, and probably more than a few who are more destructive to their team (Brandon Marshall anyone?). Chad also knows the window is closing on football being a vehicle for fame so some of this is his effort to build a fanbase to follow him into whatever his future endeavores might be.

I'm reminded that I thought T.O. was about the worst thing to happen to football, until he joined the Bengals. We'll still have to see how that works out. But the point is, I suspect those in other NFL cities who now dump on Chad would sing a different tune were he one of their players.

bluestree
08-24-2010, 10:22 PM
There's been discussion and disagreement as to why, but there is no doubt the Wide Receiver position produces more nut cases, divas, and prancing peacocks than any other.
Personally, I go along with the school of thought that says it's from a lifetime of lining up out in space. It makes them...spacey, I guess. What it comes down to is management. The Bengals try to manage 85 because he produces. If he didn't, his act would get older than a shuffleboard tournament in Boca Raton. In truth, the NFL is all about game. Chad knows this, and he pushes the envelope. He's telling everybody with more power than him "Child, please." I don't know why he feels that way, and it isn't going to help his team, it might even hurt. But whatever checks Ochocinco writes, Marvin Lewis will one day have to cash them with his rear if they come back NSF.

Pattrick
08-25-2010, 12:11 AM
I don't care how funny he thinks he is; he is an ass. Leave the friggin' cell phone in your locker. Nothing is so important it needs to be twitted, tweeted, or whatever during a game.

CINCINNATI (AP) -- The National Football League has fined wide receiver Chad Ochocinco (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/5483) $25,000 for the timing of his tweets.
The league said Tuesday that Ochocinco's messages appeared on his Twitter page during a prohibited time at the Cincinnati Bengals (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/bengals) versus Philadelphia Eagles (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/eagles) preseason game on Friday night. It said the Bengal player violated policies on electronic device possession and posting of social media messages.
The use of cell phones, computers or other electronic equipment by players and coaches is prohibited from 90 minutes before kickoff through the end of the game.
The NFL's statement said Ochocinco's messages on the social media site showed up at 6:50 p.m. and 9:53 p.m. Kickoff was 8:07.

Copyright 2010 Associated Press (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/interactive_legal.html#AP).

I agree Bob, I just think Chad Ochocinco is an ass for completely different reasons.

footballgal
08-25-2010, 12:16 AM
Chad's just a big kid. Yes, he's silly and yes, he's frivolous, but he's never out to hurt anybody. He just likes to have fun. There are lots worse people to be than the person he is.

Bengals1181
08-25-2010, 09:38 AM
Marvin will say all the things he always says after Chad gets flaged. "He has to do his job." "He has to be a professional" And he'll shake his head on the sideline. But Marvin also knows Chad is the hardest woking WR on the team (but being pushed by T.O. from all indications). Chad is a lot like a little boy who wants to be the center of attention. But tell me there aren't other WR on other teams who aren't just as much the diva, and probably more than a few who are more destructive to their team (Brandon Marshall anyone?). Chad also knows the window is closing on football being a vehicle for fame so some of this is his effort to build a fanbase to follow him into whatever his future endeavores might be.

I'm reminded that I thought T.O. was about the worst thing to happen to football, until he joined the Bengals. We'll still have to see how that works out. But the point is, I suspect those in other NFL cities who now dump on Chad would sing a different tune were he one of their players.

Carson was on ESPN this morning and said Chad is looking the best he ever has in Carson's 8 years though. Credits TO and Chad pushing each other to be great.

Pattrick
08-25-2010, 10:24 AM
Ocho seems to really appreciate his fans and that makes him the opposite of an ass.

How many "Opposite of an ass" people do you know of that host a reality dating show on TV?

Not many, if any.

brauneyz
08-25-2010, 11:15 AM
OK, OK, then, he's a camera-mugging egomaniac that delights in driving his employers crazy. I would go nuts in his presence and hope I never have to work for a company that rewards talent at the expense of my sanity. Not that folks don't have to deal with that already, but I'd rather not.

Professionally, I'd rather be around Wes Welker (or the still unemployed) Marvin Harrison, who quietly get the job done and shun the limelight.

TheLinc
08-25-2010, 11:31 AM
To the OP:

Was there ever any doubt? You really needed further proof?

giantsfan97
08-25-2010, 12:16 PM
Chad may be harmless but he's still stupid.

I wonder if he's actually brilliant. He is certainly trying to build his brand for a post-football career, and he knew that tweeting during a game would get him some headlines. Perhaps he calculated that getting some more exposure and staying in the spotlight was worth 25k to his other career. We wouldn't be talking about him right now if he hadn't done it, right?

(Of course the other way to get headlines is to, you know, catch passes.)

Chompurself
08-25-2010, 06:11 PM
I agree the whole twitter thing is a bit childish and may have been a lil poorly timed, but his antics have never gotten to me...I guess it depends on what school you come from "old school" versus "new school" but definitely not ass level...calling out your teamates or head coach, being a dirty player, and not playing hard thats what registers on "ass level" for me

InNOutBurgler
08-25-2010, 06:22 PM
He's not an ass...he's funny...he's never been in trouble. The NFL kills me...Leonard Little kills people and was allowed to play and never got fined but Ocho gets dinged for tweeting...I will say that Ocho seems to be declining skill wise and these things aren't nearly as funny when you are no longer dominating like you used to...it gives the perception that you don't care...but I have no problem with it...reserve the 'ASS' label for people who actually commit crimes.

Andy Freeland
08-25-2010, 06:26 PM
My favorite Ochocinco moment was during hard knocks last year, when Marvin was explaining to him that he should be investing his money instead of just putting it in his checking account. That must be some checking account, I hope he at least gets free checks.

InNOutBurgler
08-25-2010, 06:34 PM
I bet his card melts down weekly...I love Chad but somehow I don't see him spending his money wisely and carving out a little media dominance like the 'management.' I see him making reality TV for 15 years...although Cheryl Burke was a nice catch

Chompurself
08-25-2010, 07:05 PM
I bet his card melts down weekly...I love Chad but somehow I don't see him spending his money wisely and carving out a little media dominance like the 'management.' I see him making reality TV for 15 years...although Cheryl Burke was a nice catch

So InNOutBurgler how many episodes of the ultimate catch have you seen??? a)none b)1-3 c) all of them

InNOutBurgler
08-26-2010, 02:24 PM
So InNOutBurgler how many episodes of the ultimate catch have you seen??? a)none b)1-3 c) all of them

A................but I've heard it's fantastic and I heard about B Twice

Chompurself
08-26-2010, 02:30 PM
A................but I've heard it's fantastic and I heard about B Twice

hhaha yea i kno u dont do the reality show thing but i kno Ocho is ya boy

SpartaChris
08-28-2010, 03:11 AM
I love Chad. Guy cracks me up and does a lot to give back to the community and especially his fans. He's the only non Packer player I follow on Twitter.

FessJL0861
08-29-2010, 05:08 PM
Chad has a good heart, but man oh man, someone needs to put him through some personal finance classes at Covington Community College.

Bengals1181
09-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Hungry football fans lined up outside St. Elmo downtown Wednesday after NFL star Chad Ochocinco offered to spring for dinner.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/24844065/detail.html

what an ass.

SpartaChris
09-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Yeah, he did this last season too. While he was here in So. Cal filming for Dancing With The Stars, he was constantly taking people out to dinner or to the movies.

Love or hate the antics on the field (Seriously, if you hate them, you should remove the stick from your buttocks), but to say the guy is an ass is a huge reach.

Pruitt
09-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Depends on how you define "ass".

Certainly better than calling him an "Ass****". That's Roethlisberger's title.

OdinsMonkey
09-02-2010, 07:16 AM
OK, OK, then, he's a camera-mugging egomaniac that delights in driving his employers crazy. I would go nuts in his presence and hope I never have to work for a company that rewards talent at the expense of my sanity. Not that folks don't have to deal with that already, but I'd rather not.

Professionally, I'd rather be around Wes Welker (or the still unemployed) Marvin Harrison, who quietly get the job done and shun the limelight.

Not so sure about Marvin Harrison --> http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201002/marvin-harrison

I love the stuff Ochocinco does, I think it's great that he doesn't take the game too seriously at times and just has fun. I also like some showboating in professional sports too... I really get tired of all cliches and empty statements players/coaches throw out most of the time.

DemCowboys
09-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Not so sure about Marvin Harrison --> http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201002/marvin-harrison

I love the stuff Ochocinco does, I think it's great that he doesn't take the game too seriously at times and just has fun. I also like some showboating in professional sports too... I really get tired of all cliches and empty statements players/coaches throw out most of the time.

Agreed - 85 is always fun to watch. Why else was anyone watching the bengals before last year?

Pruitt
09-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Agreed - 85 is always fun to watch. Why else was anyone watching the bengals before last year?

No hunting shows on tv?