PDA

View Full Version : Ugly in the rain

Amy
09-13-2013, 01:55 AM
This was a super ugly game. Funny in it's own way, entertaining, but ugly.

Oh, yeah, and we won! 2-0 and we haven't played even close to good yet.

Mayock and Nessler on the call, as it's on NFL network. Carl Cheffers is the ref. I give his crew an A!

Pats got the ball first. We started with our best drive of the night. 7 plays. 2 Ridley runs, 5 passes. 3 complete, 2 incomplete, but one of those drew PI on Cro. It ended with a beautiful Brady to Dobson 37 yard TD. At this point, it looked like things would be smooth. But...they wouldn't.

Jets first possession: The Jets went 3 and out. Two Geno incomplete passes with a Powell run between them.

Pats second possession: We go three and out. Brady underthrows Thompkins, Blount runs for 2, and a screen to Julian gets 5.

Jets second possession: On the first play, Geno makes a pretty deep pass to Hill. The big play goes sour for them when Talib punches the ball out and Devin recovers the fumble. He returns it to the Jets 8

Pats third possession: We go three and a FG. It was an ugly series. Cro gets away with a hold on Julian on first down. Ridley runs to the 3, Brady throws the ball away on 3rd and Solder gets called for holding. We make the FG and decline an illegal formation on the Jets. 10-0 Pats.

Jets third possession: This is a good possession for the Jets. 12 plays. 7 runs (4 Ivory, 1 Powell, 1 Geno, 1 Bohanan) for 34 yards. 3 passes. 1 complete for 26 yards to Tone, and 15 on a roughing on Chandler Jones (I think it's an iffy call), 2 inc to Winslow and Gates. The Gates play was initially ruled a TD, but overturned on review. Then we have 2 FGs. A 37 yard FG, negated by holding on Vollens, and then a 47 yard FG that is made. 10-3, Pats.

Pats fourth possession: 6 play drive. 3 runs, 2 by Ridley, one by Julian, for a net 10 yards. 2 passes. 1 incomplete to Julian, 1 9 yard catch for Thompkins. Key play: Ridley being stopped for a loss of 1 yard on 3rd and one by David Harris. Play 6 was the punt.

Jets fourth possession: 3 and out. Geno goes to Winslow for 3, Ivory runs for 5. Geno to Hill for 1, to end the quarter. Rex challenges the spot and loses, so the Jets punt to start the second.

Pats fifth possession: Ugly three and out. Brady hits Edelman, and the ball comes out, and is recovered by the Jets, ruled incomplete on review. We follow that with a false start on Solder, and a Brady overthrow of Edelman on 2nd and 15. But it gets uglier. Brady hits Edleman for 18, but it gets overturned on a penalty of some sort on Logan Mankins. The problem is that Mayock doesn't STFU while the ref is talking. So no one, not even the booth crew, knows what the call is. It goes to 3rd and 16, which seems to hint it's downfield holding. Very poor job here. Mayock has got to watch the field, we don't need a detailed breakdown of every single play. On 3rd and 16, Washington runs for 1, and we punt.

Jets fifth possession: 11 plays, no points. 5 runs (Geno, Powell, and Bohanon with 1, Ivory with 2), for a total of 14 yards, and an Ivory fumble (caused by Ninkovitch) and recovered by the Jets, 4 passes: an 11 yard screen to Powell, a 15 yarder to Hill, incomplete to Tone, and incompete to Gates due to a pass defended by Arrington. There was also a false start on Colon, and the punt.

Pats possession 6: 3 and out. Ridley for -4 on first down, and Dobson has drops on second and third.

Jets possession 6: 3 and out. Two Geno throw aways on first and second were sandwiched between a Winslow false start. On 3rd, Buchannan, a rookie, gets an 11 yard sack, the first for the team for the year. Punt.

Pats P7: This drive starts off good with Brady hitting Thompkins for 38! After that, it goes south. 2 passed to Julian for 6, a miss to Dobson, and a FG. 13-3, but we leave points on the field, again.

Jets P7: Jets 3 and out. We call timeout before first down. Geno hits Winslow for 4, Bohanan runs for 1, and Chandler Jones sacks Geno, for a loss of 11. Punt.

Pats P8: 3 and out. Ridley gets stonewalled, the Jets call TO to avoid a 12 man on D call, Edleman for 9, Brady overthrows Dobson, punt.

Jets P8: 3 and out. Powel for 3, Jones sacks Geno for a loss a 5 and we call TO, Incomplete to Hill, punt.

Pats P9: This starts at the Jets 40. 6 plays, no points. Ridley goes for 7, then Brady to Dobson for 8 gives us the first down. Brady hits thompkins for a 25 yard TD, which is correctly overturned on review. For some insane reason, Brady throws to Leon Washington and it's incomplete. He kneels and we miss a 48 yard FG. 13-3 at the half.

YAY HALFTIME! It feels like three weeks already! Now, apparently, the game wasn't ugly enough, so a monsoon hits.

Jets P9: The Jets have a 7 play drive. 4 runs, 3 to Powell, for a total of 7 yards. A 32 yard Geno to Winslow pass, and an incomplete screen to Powell. Oh, and on the fourth play of the half, they burn a TO to avoid Delay of Game. Key Play: Ninkvotich dropping Powell for a 4 yard loss on 3rd and 7.

Pats P10: 3 and out. Ridley for -1, Devlin for 4, Dobson drop #3. Punt

Jets P10: Good drive for the Jets. It starts out with Kelly sacking Geno (sack #4), for a 3 yard loss. Geno runs for 15, Ivory gets 4, Geno hits Tone for 10, Ivory gets 4, Powell gets 10 on a nice screen, Ivovry gets nothing, Geno to Winslow for 9, then a 3 yard Powel TD. 13-10 Pats.

Pats P11: More ugly. Ridley gets 1, Thompkins with a drop, Edleman gets 10 on 3rd down. Brady gets sacked by McIntyre for a loss of 7, Ridley gets 9 as he remembers he can run. Dobson drop #4, Punt.

Jets P11: 3 and out.

Pats P12: 3 and out for us. 2 Blount runs, and an inc to Thompkins. Oh, and we punt to start the 4th.

Jets P12: Geno starts off with a pass to Spidola, which is dropped. Ivory gets 3 on second down and then the Jets have to burn timeout #2 to avoid delay (for those keeping score at home, the Jets *three* time outs in the game to avoid a 12 men a D, and 2 delay of games...), Geno hits Tone for 10 on 3rd down, then Powell goes for 2, Geno hits Hill for 37 yards!, but the drives ends in nothing. Gates drops the next pass, Powell gets 6, and on 3rd down, Geno throws to Tone, but Arrington deflects the ball (getting slightly hurt in the process) and Talib picks it off!

Pats P13: 6 plays and 1 punt. A 2 yard run for Blunt, and 5 passes: 2 for 12 to Edelman, 1 for 8 to Dobson, and misses to Blount and Thompkins.

Jets P13: 3 and out, with 4 plays, Powell gets 5 on first down, Hill drops a pass. The Jets get called for Delay of Game!, and on 3rd and 10 Powell has a drop that Mayo should have picked. Punt.

Side note: The Jets seem to have problems getting plays called....

Pats P14:3 and out. Ridley loses 1, Edelman gains 6, Walls defends a pass to Dobson, Punt.

Jets P14: 5 plays. Geno hits Gates for 8, Powell runs for 12, Gates drops a pass, Bohanan runs for 6, Denard gets the Pick! YAY!

Pats P15: This drive was our last real drive. This one and the Jets next one get the full write up:

1st and 10: Ridley runs for 5
2nd and 5: Brady to Edelman on a screen for 0. Richardson of the Jets is hurt. The Foxboro crowd thinks that he's faking to stop the clock, since the Jets have one timeout left. They boo.
3rd and 5: Brady to Edelman for 9
1st and 10: Ridley for 0. Jets use timeout #3
2nd and 10: For some totally insane stupid known only to Josh McDaniels reason, after a full half of rain, he decides to run a toss sweep to Ridley, who almost fumbles the wet ball. He loses a yard. Two minute warning.
3rd and 11: Ridley runs for 2. Wilkerson of the Jets is shaken up on the play. The crown goes insane with boos. The refs correcly assess as 10 second run off as the Jets have no timeouts and we are under two minutes. Wilkerson was not faking. We count the play clock to one second, call timeout, punt.

Jets P15: We have a terrible punt. They start at the 20, with 55ish second to go.
1st and 10: Geno to Tone, who slips, incomplete.
2nd and 10: Last real play of the game and it is a doozy! It starts with a bad throw by Geno Smith this is picked off by Talib. Talib starts a dancing return and finally goes OOB. He's OOB in front of the Pats bench, when Mangold lauches at Talib's knees, ala Clay and Keap in the 49ers/Packers. Pats bench is livid, both teams are on the field. By the time it's over there are three flags, all on the Jets, with :38 on the clock.

1. Personal foul, late hit, OOB, on Mangold.
2. Personal foul, punch thrown, ejection, on Willie Colon
3. Personal foul, pushing a ref, on D'brickashaw Ferguson, a Jets defensive player. He, too, was ejected.

The refs count out the varied yardage, but, before we can kneel, BB start to yell at one of the refs. He points out that Brick and Colon were ejected. They have to immediately leave the field, even with 38 seconds left. And, he is. They do. The refs make them walk off, we kneel, gane over. Best play of the night. Fines are coming!

MVPs: Ivory played great for the Jets. For us: Edelman was awesome in the return game as well as at wideout. Tablib had two picks and a forced fumble.
Goats: Three Jets on the last play, the Jets coaches who can't call plays or count men, Ridley, Dobson, and, almost, Mcdaniels.

At the end of the night, we're 2-0! Ugly as sin wins, but you don't get style points!

Trumpetbdw
09-13-2013, 08:35 AM
Love this stuff, Amy. Your devotion is beautiful.

Bengals1181
09-13-2013, 08:59 AM
this is just mind boggling.

NFL Stats ‏@NFL_Stats 9m
Last night, the #Patriots had more punts (11) than 1st downs (9)

Rich Gapinski
09-13-2013, 09:05 AM
So, that whole the AFC might just be bad thing (except Denver, Cincy, maybe Houston......). Funny thing is, though, I'm not backing off my Pats 13-3.

Amy
09-13-2013, 11:29 AM
We can only get better. The Pats have had a glaring weakness from 2007 to 2012. We have not developed young WRs. Welker and Moss were the reasons during most of that time. However, Branch and Faulk and the 2 TEs contributed.

This year, we have no choice. We have to develop Thompkins, Boyce, Dobson, and Sudfeld. There will be ugly games, this one won't be the last. But, the reps are what matters. As the season rolls on, and as next season comes, we'll get better and better and better.

My real concern is Ridley. He's started very very bad and Vereen is out till week 11. The running game is my worry. I'd cut Washington today and sign McGahey. Washington did not seem explosive in the preseason and has done nothing in weeks 1 and 2. Willis can play.

On a side note, how insane is it that the Jets were called for 1 12 man on D and one delay and had to burn 3 timeouts to avoid three more of them. What is wrong with the OC and DC of the Jets??? Has there ever been a combined 5 delay/12 men on D ever??

vancemeek
09-13-2013, 12:23 PM
The Pats did Brady a great disservice this year by saddling him with an injured slot receiver and a bunch of rookies. Unless the rooks develop very quickly, I see no way the Pats compete for a ring.

vancemeek
09-13-2013, 12:23 PM
That should read injury-prone slot receiver.

Amy
09-13-2013, 01:40 PM
The Pats did Brady a great disservice this year by saddling him with an injured slot receiver and a bunch of rookies. Unless the rooks develop very quickly, I see no way the Pats compete for a ring.

How did the Pats saddle him? Let's review:

Welker goes to Denver for 4 million *less* dollars then we offered him. Why? Because he was still upset that *after he dropped the game winning catch in the Super Bowl* we only offered a 2 year deal. How long is his Denver deal? 2 years. Not on us, it's on him.

Lloyd is a whack job who no one has offered a deal to. Not on us.

AH commited murder. Umm, really, really, not on us.

Gronk is recovering. He'll be back next week.

Woodhead went to SD. This may be on us.

To sum up: We could have done better on Danny, Welker is a crybaby, Lloyd is crazy, AH is in jail where he deserves to be. Only one can be attributed to the front office.

We've had worse WRs on Super Bowl winning teams, then we have right now on the Pats. All we have to work on is timing. The talent is there. Timing will come.

wxwax
09-13-2013, 02:27 PM
Welker goes to Denver for 4 million *less* dollars then we offered him. Why? Because he was still upset that *after he dropped the game winning catch in the Super Bowl* we only offered a 2 year deal. How long is his Denver deal? 2 years. Not on us, it's on him.

Again, that analysis depends on whether or not the Patriots were offering Welker a contract for 2014 at that rate.

Pruitt
09-13-2013, 04:25 PM
We've had worse WRs on Super Bowl winning teams, then we have right now on the Pats.

You know this team better than I, but I find this statement hard to believe. The Pats were blessed to be able to start the season against two rookie QBs (and one rookie coach). The organization usually does things the right way, but there are some major problems on offence at the moment.

But one thing that made me cringe (and I do not like the Patriots) was the fact that Edelman was out there returning punts.

Trumpetbdw
09-13-2013, 05:21 PM
What I'd like to know is how many other QBs could get away with the way Brady acted last night, and not have anyone mention it as a negative today.

Can you imagine if Cutler, Big Ben, Eli, Romo, etc had acted like that? ESPN's talking head shows would have exploded.

Bengals1181
09-13-2013, 05:41 PM
What I'd like to know is how many other QBs could get away with the way Brady acted last night, and not have anyone mention it as a negative today.

Can you imagine if Cutler, Big Ben, Eli, Romo, etc had acted like that? ESPN's talking head shows would have exploded.

not to mention, while I didn't see the whole game, some of it was on him. There was a couple ugly throws that I saw.

Trumpetbdw
09-13-2013, 05:54 PM
not to mention, while I didn't see the whole game, some of it was on him. There was a couple ugly throws that I saw.

I will be fair. It's {possible} he was simply frustrated with himself.