PDA

View Full Version : What teams are using unique schemes on Defense?

TheRealJosh
07-03-2010, 03:20 PM
It seems like half the NFL moved to 3-4, which drives up the need for nose tackles. Are there any teams that use different schemes that would seem unique or different than the standard 3-4?

Dave Lapham
07-07-2010, 07:39 PM
It seems that almost every team in the NFL and major college football are looking to be able to morph in and out of 4-3 and 3-4 looks with hybrid players that can play in 2 or 3 point stances. This puts a lot of pressure on QBs and centers who make calls to set pass protections. Defenses are trying to get a mismatch on running backs or tight ends in blitz pick ups. Moving these "HYBRID" players around the line of scrimmage causes confusion. Recognition and communication become a premium. Everyone must be on the same page or the QB will be assaulted by unblocked free runners. When you can present different fronts and looks to an offense without having to substitute personnel you have a leg up on your opponent.

Wordsworth
07-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Baltimore has had the trademark on hybrid defenses for years now. Ray Lewis has played in a traditional 3-4, a 46, hybrid 3-4, a 4-3, you name it. They've been one of the most successful teams of this generation at finding multi-technique D-linemen and LBs and utilizing them to their full potential. They've written the book on it.

Jetsfan
07-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Baltimore has had the trademark on hybrid defenses for years now. Ray Lewis has played in a traditional 3-4, a 46, hybrid 3-4, a 4-3, you name it. They've been one of the most successful teams of this generation at finding multi-technique D-linemen and LBs and utilizing them to their full potential. They've written the book on it.

But Rex is with the Jets now and we are the new book to follow.

Wordsworth
07-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Very true. I thought about mentioning that at the end of my post but neglected to.

TheLinc
07-08-2010, 03:10 AM
Very true. I thought about mentioning that at the end of my post but neglected to.

Which will answer the question if it was the scheme or the players that made it thrive. Or muddle the dispute further, who knows...

Wordsworth
07-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Well Rex Ryan has always been able to acquire guys that work well in his schemes. They draft for them on purpose. When he left for New York and brought Bart Scott with him, he had a veteran who understood his system and thrived in it, and was able to transfer that understanding to the current staff of guys.

InNOutBurgler
07-08-2010, 03:37 PM
But Rex is with the Jets now and we are the new book to follow.

Yes...have a .500 record against your divisional opponents and luck into the playoffs. I'll hope my team still follows the Ravens' book but thanks.

Jetsfan
07-08-2010, 03:45 PM
I hope your team does too. Lmao.

InNOutBurgler
07-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Sorry man...Dolphins fan...gotta take shots, it's Rex's fault.

BayouBoys
07-12-2010, 04:04 AM
The saints play a 4-3...nothing special..but they let Darren Sharper run free. Kind of like Troy out there in pitt...just roams around and doesn't really play a set D.

TheRealJosh
07-12-2010, 11:54 PM
I'm glad we still have edge NFL Matchup for film review, but I rarely see defenses mention.