PDA

View Full Version : You can beat the other team, but not the other team and the refs, too.

Amy
10-20-2013, 05:41 PM
We start this with 4 notable inactives: Amendola, Kelly, Talib (I'm glad we're resting him) and Tavon Wilson. The only Jets notable is Santonio Holmes.

Gumble and Dierdorf are the broadcast team. Jerome Boger is the ref.

Jets P1: Start at the 20. Good drive for the Jets. They lead off with a 25 yard play to Cumberland. After two dead plays, Kerley coverts the 3rd and 10 for an 11 yard gain that included a great move. Three Ivory runs net 17 yards, and after a throwaway by Geno on 2nd and 6, he finds Kerley for 13. With the ball at the Pats 15, Ivory drops a first down pass, then runs for 3 on second down. 3rd and 7 goes to Kerley (surprised?) in the endzone for a 12 yard TD. 7-0 Jets.

Pats P1: Start at the 20. We answer. We start with 6 pass plays, including Gronk's first catch of the season. The last of those six was a horrid underthrow to Collie. Bolden (who got the start) gets 5 on out first run. The next play was a 20+ yard Gronk play, called back for the JETS being offside as Boger blew the play dead. The next play, Gronk gets 25 or so the one. Then, Bolden scores the TD. Except, the JETS were offsides, again, and Boger decides we can't decline, and moves the ball 6 inches up. After Bolden gets stuffed on 1st and way less than one, he scores on second. Boger showing skill, as we tie 7-7.

Jets P2: Start at the 20. Jets looked good, but made a mistake. After a rollout (and a missed hold by the Jets on Ninkovitch), Geno hits Nelson for 24. The next three plays were wildcat runs, 2 by Cribbs and then one by Powell, for a total of 13. Ivory picks up 5, then Nelson again for 11 on 3rd and 2. After Ivory gets stonewalled, Geno throws a bad pass and it's picked on returned for an 81 yard TD by Logan Ryan! 14-7 Pats!

Sidenote: Not a single Jet chased for more than 10 yards.

Jets P3: Start at the 20. They start out well, with a 16 yard pass to Hill, then 13 yards on a Geno keep. But, Ivory loses 1, and then to end the first, Chandler Jones sackes Geno for a loss of 9. On the 3rd and 20, Kerley gets 21. After Ivory runs twice for 5, Geno finds (guess....) Kerley for 9 and the first fown. Powell gets 4, Cribbs 3 more on his 3rd wildcat carry, and Geno misses Cumberland on 3rd and 4. The 37 yard FG is good, but we still lead 14-10.

Pats P2: Start at the 25. We blow one here. All passes. Julian for 6, Collie for 8. Again to Collie, but he was OOB. Dobson gets 7, and on 3rd and 3, with Dobson having a 10 yard cushion, Brady tries a very hard pass to Gronk. It gets defended by Allen. We punt. Brady needs to think 1st downs, and not feed Gronk. When Gronk is open, sure, but a snap and throw gets us the first.

Jets P4: Start at the 20. Three and out! Spikes with a stop of Ivory on 3rd and 1.

Pats P3: Start at the Jets 28! Edelman with a 38 yard punt return. The drive starts with the Jets jumping, and Boger blowing the play dead, again. Defense in the NZ is not a dead ball foull. We then grind 5 yards. 2 for Ridley, 2 for Gronk, and then almost 1 for Bolden. On 4th and inches, we go for it and make it! Ridley gets 5, and then 4 more, but that's negated by holding on Edelman. On 2nd and 15, Gronk is held for 10 yards by Allen, and it gets called. On the new first and 10, from the 17, Ridley takes it all the way! TD Pats! 21-10!

Jets P5: Start at the 15. Slater blows Cribbs up on a return. Three and out!

Pats P4: Start at the 50. Three and out. Wasted chance.

Jets P6: Start at the 20. Four and out. After a 10 yard run, they go sack (by Chris Jones), fumble, (recovered by Geno), and a deep pass to Hill which is defended by Denard.

Pats P5: Start at the 22. Not much of a drive. Brady to Gronk for 9, then Bolden for 9. After an incomplete to Bolden, he runs for 8, and we take our second timeout. On 3rd and 2, Brady fumbles. We recover, and then punt.

Jets P7: Start at the 20. Bohhanan on the end of half draw (see Barnwell), for 3. End of half.

Second half

Pats P6: Start at the 20. Terrible start. Brady is stripped by Coples on first down. He recovers, but forces it in to Gronk on 2nd. Allen with a TAINT. 21-17 Pats.

Pats P7: Start at the 13. Three and out.

Jets P8: Start at the 40. Crazy drive. Ivory gets blown up for a loss of three. Then, the Jets go deep and get a PI on Gregory. The next two plays, however, are sacks (one each for Chandler and Chris Jones). On both sacks, Geno fumbles and the Jets get them back. 3rd and 22 leads to a 5 yard play to Kerley, then a punt.

Pats P8: Start at the 10. Three and out. Brady gets sacked by Harrison on 1st down.

Jets P9; Start at the 48. Jets kicked us around this drive. After a miss to Kerley, and a 5 yard Bohannon run, Geno finds Nelson for 27. It was a great catch. Ivory goes for 1, and Arrington prevents a TD with a sweet play. Willie Colon is called for false start, giving the Jets 3rd and 14. And Geno runs for it. Bohannon gets 1, on first and goal, and Geno finishes it with a 9 yard TD run. 24-21 Jets.

Pats P9: Start at the 20. Three and out.

Jets P10: Start at the Jets 38. Ryan has kicked three punts right to Cribbs. After a 17 yard Ivory run to get to the Pats 21, they stall. Ivory for 2, back to back incomplete passes and a 37 yard FG. We dodge one there. 27-21 Jets

Pats P10: Start at the 17. Blount needs to learn to just kneel. The third was terrible, but ended well. Ridley for 12, back to backs to Edelman for 15, then Ridley for 8 more. The 4th starts with the Jets jumping to give us a first. After Ridley gets 1, Brady hits Dobson for 18, to the Jets 28. A screen to Bolden gets 27, but is called back by offsetting fouls. After that, a low pass to KT misses, Bolden gets 7 on pass and Brady misses Gronk in 3rd and 3. We get a 39 yard FG, and trail 27-24

Jets P11: Start at the 20. The drive started with Ivory being stopped for 0, and then Chandler Jones being called for the lamest personnel foul I've ever seen. Ivory then goes for 2, and Geno hits Kerley, then Cumberland, for a combined 22. Bohanaon picks up 3 on a seond and two, and then Geno throws for a 42 to TD to Hill. However, it's killed by OPI as Hill shoved McCourty. A false start on Howard made it 1st and 25. Ivory got 5 back, but an incomplete and a failed screen leads to a Jets punt.

Pats P11: Start at the 25. Another fail, After missing Gronk, we find KT for 5, then Gronk for 12. Ridley gets nothing, Pace defends a pass to Gronk, Brady overthrows Dobson deep. Punt.

Jets P12: Start at the 12. They throw too much. Ivory gets 4, then Geno misses Hill and hits Kerley for 10 and a first. Ivory runs 4 times in a row, but a pass defended by Denard and a drop by Cumberland leads to a punt.

Pats P12: Start at the 8. We keep things alive. 2 runs for 13 for Bolden. A miss to Gronk, and then a 12 yard catch for Gronk. Brady overthrows Dobson, before hitting Gronk for 20, and we take a timeout. We miss Bolden, then find Edelman for 19. Gronk has a possible TD go off his hands, Brady throws very low to KT, then throws the ball away. a 44 yard FG ties it.

Overtime! We win the toss.

Pats P13: Start at the 21. After a 17 yard pass to Gronk, we miss three passes in a row and punt.

Jets P13: Start at the 20. Terrible ending. With the exception of one pass, the Jets ran the ball 9 times. After they missed a 56 yard FG, Boger reared his head again. He called a personal foul on Chris Jones for pushing his own man into the pile. 15 yards, first down. Two more runs, a kneel and a FG. Jets win.

While Marty M did outcoach Josh McDaneiels, and we took the third quarter off, you have to give the game ball to Boger. Not only did he kill *3* Pats free plays, including one that would have given us the ball at the Jets 1 in the first half, he stole another big play in the second halfwhen they called Gronk for a pick, even though the Broncos WRs pick every play and never get called. Then he called an alleged PF in OT.

The Jets played very well, don't get me wrong. But Boger's crew hosed us, all game long, with basic, 'I don't know the rules' errors. And the overtime call was ludicrous.

Third downs:

Jets 11 for 21
Pats 2 for 14

Fourth down:

Pats: 1 for 1

vancemeek
10-20-2013, 07:04 PM
As stupid as the rule is (as was the tuck rule), it was the correct call. Mike Periera said that officials were shown examples this week where the rule should have been enforced, but wasn't. It was made a point of emphasis this week. Jay Feely tweeted that it was brought up in their special teams meetings this week. I disagree with the rule, as it seems dumb, but it was the correct call.

Pruitt
10-21-2013, 10:22 AM
Agree with vance - a stupid rule, but the correct call.

That was a real Browns way to lose a game. And a few weeks ago, I confidently predicted that the Jets would be 2-6 or 3-5 at the halfway mark. Mea Culpa.

hobbes27
10-21-2013, 01:01 PM
The rule itself is not stupid, but like a lot of NFL rules, its when the rule is enforced.

Andy Freeland
10-21-2013, 01:30 PM
Terrible way to lose a game but I don't see how you can disagree with the call. It couldn't have been more blatant, it was like he was trying to act out the penalty for demonstration purposes.

Amy
10-21-2013, 08:13 PM
Terrible way to lose a game but I don't see how you can disagree with the call. It couldn't have been more blatant, it was like he was trying to act out the penalty for demonstration purposes.

I can easily disagree. A player should not be penalized for doing something to his own teammate. We never see H2H flags when a corner and safety take each other out. And, 15 yards and auto first down is way too harsh for pushing your own guy in the back.

But, beyond that, Boger was just awful. Three times, not once, not twice, but three times he brought Pats plays back to the LOS for the Jets! lining up in the NZ. Defensive offsides is not a dead ball foul. Unabated to the QB is, but that never happened. He peeled 50+ yards of offense from us cause they broke the rules.

The Jets played well, and we were terrible in the 3rd quarter, but poor refereeing was a key factor in the game, even tossing the OT call.

vancemeek
10-21-2013, 08:27 PM
I didn't get to watch the game, aside from the very end, but overall, it seems that the refereeing has been pretty terrible all around all season. The Bengals have been the recipient of some nonsense in particular. There were some pretty shady OPI calls yesterday, and some baffling personal foul calls last week on Burfict. It's not limited to my team either. I've seen a bunch of pretty bad referee jobs all around this season.

Andy Freeland
10-21-2013, 08:28 PM
I can easily disagree. A player should not be penalized for doing something to his own teammate. We never see H2H flags when a corner and safety take each other out. And, 15 yards and auto first down is way too harsh for pushing your own guy in the back.

There's a difference between disagreeing with the rule and disagreeing with the call. As the rule is written, there was nothing wrong with that call. The rule does seem a bit draconian but that's not the refs fault, he has nothing to do with creating the rules.

Patrick Sullivan
10-21-2013, 08:29 PM
I didn't get to watch the game, aside from the very end, but overall, it seems that the refereeing has been pretty terrible all around all season. The Bengals have been the recipient of some nonsense in particular. There were some pretty shady OPI calls yesterday, and some baffling personal foul calls last week on Burfict. It's not limited to my team either. I've seen a bunch of pretty bad referee jobs all around this season.

There was a whole pile of crap calls in the CIN/DET game yesterday. More like, there was a whole mess of calls completely missed. The officiating in that game was terribad.

vancemeek
10-21-2013, 10:05 PM
The Patriots have no excuse for not knowing the rule:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000267683/article/personal-foul-missed-on-dolphins-lastsecond-fg-vs-ravens

darvon
10-21-2013, 10:37 PM
Two points:

1) There have been 400+ FG attempts this season already. How many times was this foul committed but not called? This is the first and only time it was called this year. I think that the League will make sure it gets called next week. It is such an unnatural foul, since multiple players get funneled into the middle trying to block a kick coming through the middle.

2) It was stated that the NFLPA requested this rule. Why? Are there a lot of injuries in this manner? If they wanted the rule, then why didn't they hammer it being called earlier or at all?

vancemeek
10-21-2013, 10:40 PM
That's why it was a point of emphasis this week. The NFL pointed out it wasn't being called and should be. They sent out video to the teams. I still think it's a silly rule, but it was the right call. Teams knew the rule.

darvon
10-21-2013, 10:54 PM
So after this week of making a point of emphasis, how many FG attempts were made last weekend? 70? And 1 was called? Next week 1 or 2 will be called. And then by mid Nov you won't see another on for the rest of the season.

It is a foul that can be called on at least 25% of all FG attempts. Sort of like pushing a RB is against the rules, but never called.

Why have this rule? Why did the NFLPA want it?

vancemeek
10-21-2013, 10:59 PM
I don't know, but it doesn't make the call wrong.

iwatt
10-21-2013, 11:07 PM
So after this week of making a point of emphasis, how many FG attempts were made last weekend? 70? And 1 was called? Next week 1 or 2 will be called. And then by mid Nov you won't see another on for the rest of the season.

It is a foul that can be called on at least 25% of all FG attempts. Sort of like pushing a RB is against the rules, but never called.

Special team centers and guards argued that they were getting blown up. Lots of back and neck injuries. Every year the NFL asks players to give them some ideas for more safety. This was one that got picked up.

hobbes27
10-21-2013, 11:11 PM

So you are saying of the 70 or so FG that were attempted, this occurred on at least 18 of those attempts? Do you have any proof of FG attempts that were attempted this weekend that had this penalty that wasn't called?

darvon
10-22-2013, 09:13 AM
Nope.

But from my general viewing knowledge, I seem to recall that it is a pretty common sight.

Let's see how many times it is called next week vs week 15.

I will say next week will be the spike of the season.

Amy
10-22-2013, 07:40 PM
There's a difference between disagreeing with the rule and disagreeing with the call. As the rule is written, there was nothing wrong with that call. The rule does seem a bit draconian but that's not the refs fault, he has nothing to do with creating the rules.

Mostly, you are correct, Andy. BB has taken the blame for that, but also pointed out the Jets ran the same exact play in the 4th quarter when we made a 39 yarder. Cimimi, the Jets blog writer on ESPN.com confirmed that it looked to him, on tape, that they did. There was no flag. Consistency is important in officiating, and, as I said, it was the first four quarters that bothered me much more than the one overtime call. Boger's crew was just not good Sunday.