PDA

View Full Version : The Bills won?

ScottDCP
10-21-2013, 10:55 AM
The Good:
1. Nickell Robey, except for one play in the first quarter where he invited, though didn't get, a fifteen yard penalty.
2. Fred Jackson. Dan Wesseling of NFL.com is an idiot. (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000238381/article/adrian-peterson-tops-running-back-power-rankings) Hint, you will find Jackson in the lowest ranked category of RBs. Maybe Wesseling isn't an idiot, but just a guy who got lucky in a job interview and only watches the late games.
3. Stevie Johnson made up for an early drop throughout the game.
4. Thad Lewis is better than Jeff Tuel, although both are pleasantly willing to throw the ball past the first down marker on third down.
5. Tashard Choice is probably the best third down back in the league. Good thing, given the knee injuries to Jackson and Spiller.
6. Buffalo's pass rush all of a sudden showed up again late in the fourth quarter (except for the 3rd and 10 with 12 seconds left, in which Hartline got behind the coverage and Tannehill just missed him.)
7. Tannehill on the hail mary at the end, was insanely spectacular.
8. Hackett's play calling is still iffy. Beyond the predictable trends, there is the habit of running the same play twice in a row without reference to who is in the game, and how injured they are. Your RBs have knee and ankl;e injuries. When one of them guts out a tough 6 yards going over the RG, do not run the same play on the next down. The third and 4 with 2:30 left, wherein Fred Jackson got ten yards to drain some more time? that has nothing to do with coaching.
9. Miami's pass rush was excellent all day.
10. Nice to see Buffalo try some screen passes against it, in the flow of a drive.
11. Miami's RB Something Miller, is very good. Better than Thomas.

The Bad:
1. The Buffalo defensive ends and OLBs appeared for all the world to take the second and third quarters off, and assumed success would be there for them after a strong first quarter.
2. Thad Lewis throws the ball awfully high, and isn't terribly accurate on intermediate out and hook routes.
3. If Buffalo ever gets another CB, they will have a very strong secondary. I cannot wait for Gilmore (who looked awful on one deep pass) to get healthy enough to play every down. And by healthy enough I mean to have the club removed from his left hand. A. Williams was playing well as a safety, and it is good that Rogers has been benched, but for those who pay attention, he is the new go-to target again.
4. K. Williams is either starting to show his age, or not completely healed from his second Achilles tendon surgery on two years. I suspect the latter.
5. Spiller is hurt worse than anyone is letting on. I suggest not letting him start a series. He is having his best success right now as a sub in the flow of a drive.
6. Buffalo stopped with the very successful screen game in the second half. Don't know why, since the Miami pass rush was consistently excellent all day.

The Ugly:
1. Legursky! isn't much better than the recently rusticated Colin Brown.
2. After the sack-strip by M. Williams, and the running scared effort by K. Williams to pick up the ball and run (he ended up falling on it,) M. Williams was shown on the sideline saying F*** THIS SHI*! He knew they would have to go to work again, up by less than 3. They all knew it. They all knew the offense wasn't gonna seal it with 7.
3. Everything else is to do with that last kickoff, returned almost fifty yards and a kicker smear-tackle attempt from being a Miami TD.
-Steve Tasker nearly called the Buffalo coaching staff morons after that one. He said something to this effect: You are up by 2 points with thirty seconds left. The only way they don't have a chance to score a touchdown is to kick the ball through the end zone.* That looked like an intentional short kick. Why you would do that I have no idea.
-The coaches are probably going to admit they wanted to burn an extra 6-8 seconds on the return, since that exact play was used to stop the Dolphins at their 18 on the opening kickoff.
-I will be repeating myself here: the coaches are quite likely morons.
-What on earth is Robert Woods doing on kickoff coverage? I get it with Marquise Goodwin, since he can catch up to anybody. Woods? He has average speed, and Buffalo has like 7 active DBs for every game, who have the added experience of and ability to tackle people while others attempting to block them. Oh yeah, he also gets more snaps at WR than anybody else.
-Crossman better be fired soon. Seriously, he isn't up to the task. Is it legal to kidnap Bobby April for the rest of the year?

Pruitt
10-21-2013, 12:21 PM
Tasker was livid after that final kickoff - and with good reason (if as he said, the kick was intentionally short). I was convinced that they blew the game on that play.

Fred Jackson is - as stated on the telecast - a "warrior." Good thing too, because Spiller looks awful out there, he is obviously hurting. And it took me a moment to figure out why Mario Williams was so angry on the sideline. He has clearly come to understand what he is up against.

But all in all, a great ending to the game, although I fear next Sunday.

ScottDCP
10-21-2013, 12:31 PM
I think he was right - that was intentionally short. Carpenter's body english is different on that kick than when he uses the driver, and the cover guys all looked ready to actually cover, which is also different than when they know it's going to be a touchback.

I had a sad moment of thinking during that return that it might be best for Thigpen to score. That way a properly lit microscope might be put on the coaching staff and this experiment could be ended early.

ScottDCP
10-21-2013, 12:37 PM
Apparently Dan Carpenter is taking the heat for the last kickoff. I don't buy it. Plus, Morrone reminded the reporters and by extension the fans that he knows more than we do. (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/10/20/robey-finally-robs-one/) I think he thinks too highly of himself. This is a bunch of similar claptrap if you're down for it. (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Doug-Marrone-When-you-play-well-as-a-team-you-have-a-chance-to-win/a9cc0929-c008-435a-912b-6f5c9f1be094)

ScottDCP
10-21-2013, 02:29 PM
OK, a little more intrigue re: the last kickoff...

Morrone made a point in discussing Caprenter's good day during his post-game press conference of mentioning that the last kickoff was Carpenter's fault.

It is possible that the thing was mis-hit, but I still believe my first read of the kicker's and the coverage team's body language.

Even if it was mis-hit, the Morrone comment leads me back to something Bear Bryant more than once said, and which I believe to be true:

http://content.artofmanliness.com/uploads//2010/04/bearlead.jpg

mkocs6
10-21-2013, 06:08 PM
I just want to warn Bills fans that I'm going to be starting Thad Lewis in FP Dynasty this week. This is not a good thing for you.

My two main quarterbacks are Andrew Luck and Jay Cutler. I've started Luck for the whole season with the exception of two games. In Week 5, I started Brian Hoyer because I thought he had a particularly favorable matchup against the Bills while the Colts and Bears did not. Yesterday I thought Jay Cutler's matchup against the Redskins was too good to resist.

Anyway, there's a clear correlation here. So, if Thad Lewis gets hurt and you have to return to The Jeff Tuel Experience (or something) for a few weeks, I'm sorry.

ScottDCP
10-21-2013, 08:05 PM
You dirty rat.

Pruitt
10-22-2013, 09:16 AM
Thadmania!

Thademonium!

Thad Fever!

http://25.media.tumblr.com/95054a66d96484772dcdb9623c1523ad/tumblr_mumdpadCXW1rfimo0o1_1280.gif

mkocs6
10-27-2013, 02:07 PM
...you're kidding me, right?

Pruitt
10-28-2013, 06:46 AM
...you're kidding me, right?

Tongue firmly in cheek.