PDA

View Full Version : Regular season Week 17-Packers 10 Bears 3

Colts01
08-24-2010, 05:09 PM
Packers 10 Bears 3
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/djerc7/bearspackers.jpg

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Aaron Rodgers' 1-yard touchdown pass to tight end Donald Lee gave the Green Bay Packers the lead in the fourth quarter, and their defense held on to clinch a wild card berth with a 10-3 victory over the division rival Chicago Bears on Sunday.

Nothing came easy for the Packers (10-6), who needed a win to get into the postseason. They trailed 3-0 at halftime and were tied going into the fourth quarter with the Bears -- a team that didn't have anything to play for in terms of playoff seeding, but still played to win with its starters.

Rodgers and the Green Bay offense sputtered for three quarters, but the Packers' quarterback broke through with back-to-back big passing plays early in the fourth quarter to set up the go-ahead touchdown. The defense did the rest, as Nick Collins' interception ended a late drive for the Bears (11-5).

iwatt
12-29-2010, 10:51 AM
Green Bay Packers (-4) over Chicago Bears

DannyMilk
12-29-2010, 10:49 PM
I'm not expecting Bears to just lay down...not sure why experts are....

SpartaChris
12-29-2010, 11:00 PM
Me either. I know if the roles were reversed and the Packers had a chance to knock Chicago out of the playoffs, I would want them to do so. It's a pride thing.

Plus, with a bye week on the horizon, no reason not to play hard now and then take a week off.

GoBigOrGoHome
12-29-2010, 11:01 PM
Packers are starting to gel. I am so impressed with the depth of this team.

Andy Freeland
12-29-2010, 11:18 PM
I don't expect the Bears to roll over either, but I do expect the Packers to win. The Packers are playing for their post-season lives, the Bears are on the road without much to gain.

brauneyz
12-30-2010, 12:07 AM
Lovie says they're playing full bore, but I don't believe it. I'd love Bears to win, but Packers are playing for keeps. GB wins.

msclemons
12-30-2010, 01:26 AM
I think the Bears will intend to do well but in reality the players know nothing is at stake and that will take the edge off. The Packers are playing for their lives. With two teams this close in talent the emotion of the Packers will win it.

Polishguy00
12-30-2010, 06:33 AM
I agree with the overall opinion that the Bears will show up, but the Packers will win. The Bears need Carolina to beat Atlanta to get home field, for God's sake. The Bears do care about this rivalry and that spirit will keep them playing. Plus, any minor injuries will be taken out of the game immediately to heal for a couple weeks. Then, the Packers depth with prevail.

iwatt
12-30-2010, 07:58 AM
I'm not expecting Bears to just lay down...not sure why experts are....

Thanks for calling me an expert.

As I've mentioned before, these are what the raw stats predict. If you look at teams solely stat wise, the Pack are top 3, and solid on both sides of the ball. They have one glaring weaknes: inability to run the ball. That goes against the Bears biggest strength, run D. So it will come down to wether we get Picks or not on the cover 2.

On the other side of the ball, it's Clay Mathews Jr. at home versus Frank Omiyale...

The other glaring advantage are our Special Teams versus the Pack's Ordinary Teams (nothing special about them)

It will be a close game, like they always are, and their hopefully we will see the Packers falter again in those.

GBPKS
12-30-2010, 03:01 PM
I know the Bears are talking the talk, but I'm still not sure they're going to walk the walk on Sunday. NFL coaches aren't exactly known for their honesty with the media. I certainly think Lovie Smith has no incentive to say anything but that they're going to play to win, and he has every incentive to make sure his team doesn't goof off this week and prepares as though they're going to play four quarters. But, my thought is that if the Bears have a good week of practice, this will be a glorified preseason game for the Bears. There's just no incentive to play your stars four quarters in this game. NFL coaches, besides being dishonest, also tend to follow a herd mentality and do the "safe" thing. Even though it's statistically advantageous to go for it on 4th down more often, NFL coaches don't do it because if it doesn't work, you get torched in the media and fans are calling for your head. If Devin Hester gets Welkered in this game, or if Cutler gets a concussion, Lovie will be burned at the stake.

As a Packer fan, I'm glad the Bears are openly claiming they want to win this game because that should prevent a letdown by the Packer players. They can't expect to just show up and win the game, they have to go out and play aggressively and take the game. If the Packers get off to a good start, they can weaken the Bears' will to play because at the end of the day the Bears players know they have nothing to play for.

Ultimately, the best case scenario for Lovie is for the Bears to come out sharp, play well early, and start pulling starters. There are two worst case scenarios - there's the nightmare scenario of a key injury, but there's also a worst case scenario of the Bears going all out and still getting beaten convincingly by the Packers.

I think the Packers are clearly better than the Bears on both offense and defense, but the glaring mismatch is on special teams, where the Packers are awful and the Bears are very good.

DannyMilk
01-01-2011, 01:34 AM
Lovie did tell rooks to be ready, so who knows...but I know Lovie does want to beat the cheese

Docta
01-01-2011, 03:26 AM
How can they not play the starters? Not playing for 2 weeks for put the players out of rhythm. They should have learned that after losing to the Panthers in '06.

SpartaChris
01-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Looks like Lovie is telling his backups to expect extended playoff time:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/31/report-signs-point-towards-bears-resting-some-starters/

Andy Freeland
01-01-2011, 02:05 PM
How can they not play the starters? Not playing for 2 weeks for put the players out of rhythm. They should have learned that after losing to the Panthers in '06.

Disclaimer - the following is based on research I did at one time and have since lost and I don't feel like doing it again. It may contain factual and/or grammatical errors.

I've said it before and will no doubt say it again. There have been 2 or 3 teams in NFL history that have lost in the last week of the season, then had a bye, then won the Super Bowl. The Saints did it last year and I believe the '99 Rams and possibly one of the '80s 49ers. Since '00, I believe there have only been 2 teams that have lost in week 17 and gone on to win the Super Bowl, last year's Saints and the '07 Giants (who ironically lost to the Pats in week 17, then beat them in the Super Bowl).