PDA

View Full Version : Making sense of the 2014 QBs

Andy Freeland
02-20-2014, 01:53 PM
I haven't watch a ton of film on the QBs (or anyone else to be honest) and I'm a little flummoxed by the top 3. Teddy Bridgewater, Blake Bortles, Johnny Football (a great collection of names) any of the 3 could be the first QB taken. None of them is an Andrew Luck-style can't miss prospect, they all have their issues.

Bridgewater seems to be the safest bet - good mechanics, pro style offense, he just looks like an NFL QB in the pocket. Questions about his size/durability, a little light at 205 pounds.

Manziel is the best known and most decorated. He's the modern, dual threat, Russell Wilson-esque player. Concerns about size, personality and how well his game will translate to the NFL.

I hadn't seen Bortles play at all until watching some youtube tape on him this week. I kept hearing that he was big and raw, but he didn't seem as big or as raw as I thought he would be. 6-4, 230, he has good size but he's not Daunte Culpepper. He's more polished that I expected and seems to do pretty well with shorter touch passes (doesn't throw everything 100 mph like Ryan Mallett). Decent arm strength but not overwhelming. Moves well but isn't in the Newton, Kaepernick, RG3 category.

So, who goes first and why?

wxwax
02-20-2014, 03:01 PM
Bridgewater, for me. He seems to be the safest bet. As you say, he looks the part. Composed, all the physical tools you could want. My only question is about his accuracy.

Manziel is a high risk-high reward kind of guy. Dangerous pick. Someone who's desperate might take him high.

For me, Bortles is a step behind Bridgewater, although I see that Cosell disagrees with me.

Patrick Sullivan
02-20-2014, 07:16 PM
None of the above? Is that an option?

Trumpetbdw
02-20-2014, 07:45 PM
Simply put, I trust Bill O'Brien enough that whichever of these QBs he ends up choosing, it will be the right choice. As always, it's not just about the best QB , it's about the best QB put into the best situation.

I'm not sure a guess as to the identity of the preferred QB makes much sense at this point, but just because Bortles or Bridgewater best fit the supposed O'Brien prototype doesn't necessarily mean that he/they won't ultimately decide on Manziel.

I would be very surprised if they decide to get cute and trade the pick, no matter what QB they prefer. And yes, I think it's a lock that a QB goes #1 overall.

Andy Freeland
02-20-2014, 08:19 PM
And yes, I think it's a lock that a QB goes #1 overall.

The boldest statement in this thread's infancy.

mikesteelnation1
02-21-2014, 02:21 AM
The boldest statement in this thread's infancy.

You forgot your {}... that was probably your intent. I'm afraid trumpets Penn state homer will win over his Steelers homer. He's speaking too effusively about BOB..

I can't have my best Steelers buddy defect to team BOB. :)

Trumpet, once a coach goes pro from Penn st he's dead to you, unless it's coaching our Steelers. You no longer care how he does. He's dead to you. Repeat after me...BOB is dead to you. Black and gold fandom trumps all others.

Any qb he picks is music to our ears.. a guy not on our board...

Remember it's all about our Steelers!!!-

Trumpetbdw
02-21-2014, 07:36 AM
You forgot your {}... that was probably your intent. I'm afraid trumpets Penn state homer will win over his Steelers homer. He's speaking too effusively about BOB..

I can't have my best Steelers buddy defect to team BOB. :)

Trumpet, once a coach goes pro from Penn st he's dead to you, unless it's coaching our Steelers. You no longer care how he does. He's dead to you. Repeat after me...BOB is dead to you. Black and gold fandom trumps all others.

Any qb he picks is music to our ears.. a guy not on our board...

Remember it's all about our Steelers!!!-

You don't have to worry about my allegiance. :cool:

Many PSU fans now hate the guy because they feel like he quit on us. I thank the guy for doing incredible work to keep the program relevant, and for doing well enough to allow them to find a coach who should be an even better fit as a college HC.

That said, there's one point that overrides them all, and I cannot possibly emphasize this enough.

1065 1066

Rich Gapinski
02-21-2014, 08:16 AM
Right now, I have to give a ranking of what I feel the GM love is for the group.

I think that goes:
1) Manziel. He's just the most exciting name and guaranteed to sell tickets. His arm is probably a 6.5-7 on a 10 scale and he can go through progressions when absolutely forced to, but he usually chooses to break the pocket before that. He had a lot of help from Mike Evans on prayers. Looked like he would struggle in the NFL against LSU but also proved he could make every throw against Bama. I think GMs will end up liking his moxie and will ignore the supposed off-the-field questions. Has done a good job lately of trying to prove he isn't just a spoiled rich kid, but a spoiled rich kid willing to work.
2) Bridgewater. Small hands and arm may not be that great. Most prepared to come into the NFL and run an offense the way it is supposed to be run. Can run a little, but is more comfortable staying in the pocket. Seems to have worked on and mostly solved the issue of sailing passes that he had a couple years ago.
3) Bortles. Has the prototypical size and probably would have been the #1 pick for that reason alone a couple years ago. Enough athleticism to move around and out of the pocket when necessary. Not sure how well he throws on the run, but I will have to watch some tape on that. Needs to work on progressions and am not sure his accuracy is top-notch. I found him impressive when I watched him live, but I have not gotten into tape too much on him yet.

Off-the-cuff, no thinking involved top end and low end for each guy.
1) Manziel: Russell Wilson or Mike Vick without the arm and always injured.
2) Bridgewater: Late career Randall Cunningham or Jeff Blake without the deep ball .
3) Bortles: Kerry Collins with legs and less arm or Blaine Gabbert.

EDIT: Which order would I pick the three? Right now?

1. Bortles. Because I said that he would be a riser in the draft and because I am still a cranky old man who likes 6' 5" quarterbacks. I like them even more when they have the size and some ability to move.
2. Bridgewater. I'm just not sure on his ceiling. Thinking of late-career Cunningham probably looks like an insult, but I am not sure that it is.
3. Manziel. I don't think he is the typical 50/50 proposition. I think he will get hurt because he will have a tough time learning to stay in the pocket. I hope he at least learns to run out of bounds.

Bengals1181
02-21-2014, 08:48 AM
I continue to think Connor Shaw is flying under the radar, in part because of his size, and in par because his first 3 seasons were up and down. However, he broke out his senior year despite losing Alshon Jeffery, Marcus Lattimore and Ace Sanders, his 3 top weapons.

If he were taller, he'd be in talks to be a high 3rd rounder.

I like the moxy he plays with (IMO he's got a little Favre in him), and he moves around in the pocket extremely well. Also throws a nice deep ball.

Steve Spurrier compared him to Russell Wilson the other day, and Spurrier's not one to sugar coat things.

Rich Gapinski
02-21-2014, 09:01 AM
I've always kind of liked Derek Carr, because, when you have a guy related to number one pick that became a bust due to be being beaten up more often than Beiber would have been had he grown up as a real person, it means the second Carr has to be the successful Carr. I mean, if the draft really is 50/50, the new Carr has to be the "good" 50, right?

Patrick Sullivan
02-21-2014, 09:27 AM
I've always kind of liked Derek Carr, because, when you have a guy related to number one pick that became a bust due to be being beaten up more often than Beiber would have been had he grown up as a real person, it means the second Carr has to be the successful Carr. I mean, if the draft really is 50/50, the new Carr has to be the "good" 50, right?

Eli Manning sends his regards.

Rich Gapinski
02-21-2014, 09:32 AM
Eli Manning sends his regards.

Ohhhhh. Maybe the double-hit on the Manning name cancels out any chances for Carrs to be good. Forget it, I'm out on Derek Carr.

Patrick Sullivan
02-21-2014, 09:39 AM
Josh & Luke McCown send their regards as well.

Rich Gapinski
02-21-2014, 09:49 AM

I don't count any quarterback tandems below the Hasselbeck Line.

Andy Freeland
02-21-2014, 12:43 PM

I don't count any quarterback tandems below the Hasselbeck Line.

Koy Detmer disagrees. Jordan Palmer doesn't understand the question.