PDA

View Full Version : The Dolphins Trade Greg Camarillo to the Minnesota Vikings.

PhinsJunkie
08-25-2010, 02:09 PM
This has the memory of the Wes Welker trade to the Pats written all over it. The owner of a combined 105 catches the past two seasons, Camarillo should help to solidify a banged up Minnesota receiving corps. Working with Brett Favre, it wouldn't be surprising if he has a career year in 2010.

Why the Phins continue to do this is beyond me...

ScottDCP
08-25-2010, 02:19 PM
Why the Phins continue to do this is beyond me...

Perhaps Parcells believes it's still 1980, and a third wide receiver is for buying the doughnuts on Monday?

bluestree
08-25-2010, 02:36 PM
Posted about this on the Vikings thread, didn't see you were in this already. From the Dolphins perspective, Benny Sapp isn't much, it seems like they got the short end of this. Is their secondary in that tough of a condition that they need Benny Sapp? If so, smooth move.

PhinsJunkie
08-25-2010, 02:46 PM
Perhaps Parcells believes it's still 1980, and a third wide receiver is for buying the doughnuts on Monday?

Scott, I just don't get it. The great teams stockpile talent at several positions, but we have a long history of giving up early on guys and they go on to pro bowl careers. Shula did that with Tony Martin who went on to have several 1000 yard seasons for the Falcons.

Tinindian
08-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Well Camarillo had slipped to a likely 4th spot on the depth chart. I love that guy and you could put him in the ring for his catch that saved our hides in '07, but I always knew his days were getting numbered as the Phins brought in more receivers. This means 2 things to me: 1) The Dolphins really like either Wallace or Moore or both. 2) The Dolphins are really concerned about Will Allens knee and him being ready to go. The Player they are trading for is Benny Sapp. I don't know anything about him but he is a corner with a lot of time in the nickle.

The Vikings are getting a good one in Camarillo. Last year in 73 targets Camarillo had ZERO drops. The best in the NFL for that many targets. Camarillo and Welker have alot of similarities in the way they play, Cams not quite as shifty but they are very similar. Also they were both Undrafted and the Dolphins got both of them off of San Diego.

I'm glad he's going to a good team with a chance, he's a class act.

PhinsJunkie
08-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Posted about this on the Vikings thread, didn't see you were in this already. From the Dolphins perspective, Benny Sapp isn't much, it seems like they got the short end of this. Is their secondary in that tough of a condition that they need Benny Sapp? If so, smooth move.

We are set at secondary. We've got two young guys who remind me of the Madison and Surtain days. I have never heard of Benny Sapp but hopefully he proves worth it. Camarillo saved us from going 0-16 during our 1-15 year. He was arguably our best player that year.

Tinindian
08-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Bluestree, what do you know about this guy Sapp? I've never heard of him.

PhinsJunkie
08-25-2010, 02:52 PM
Well Camarillo had slipped to a likely 4th spot on the depth chart. I love that guy and you could put him in the ring for his catch that saved our hides in '07, but I always knew his days were getting numbered as the Phins brought in more receivers. This means 2 things to me: 1) The Dolphins really like either Wallace or Moore or both. 2) The Dolphins are really concerned about Will Allens knee and him being ready to go. The Player they are trading for is Benny Sapp. I don't know anything about him but he is a corner with a lot of time in the nickle.

The Vikings are getting a good one in Camarillo. Last year in 73 targets Camarillo had ZERO drops. The best in the NFL for that many targets. Camarillo and Welker have alot of similarities in the way they play, Cams not quite as shifty but they are very similar. Also they were both Undrafted and the Dolphins got both of them off of San Diego.

I'm glad he's going to a good team with a chance, he's a class act. Tinindian, you're right. I have no doubt he's gonna fill a big role for the Vikings. It seems our ex GM over there in Minnesota is still hurting our roster...

Tinindian
08-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Freakin' Speilman! I just wish I knew more about this Sapp guy. Is he a decent nickle guy or did we trade a solid slot receiver for trash?

bluestree
08-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Bluestree, what do you know about this guy Sapp? I've never heard of him.

He's a nickel guy. Just a guy. Seven year vet. He's a journeyman, depth kind of guy that can step in and start if he has to. Not known as a special teams ace or anything, he's the kind of player you're always trying to upgrade from. The most interesting thing about Sapp is that his wikipedia profile already has him as a Dolphin. This internet works pretty good.

Tinindian
08-25-2010, 03:06 PM
He's a nickel guy. Just a guy. Seven year vet. He's a journeyman, depth kind of guy that can step in and start if he has to. Not known as a special teams ace or anything, he's the kind of player you're always trying to upgrade from. The most interesting thing about Sapp is that his wikipekia profile already has him as a Dolphin. This internet works pretty good.

Funny you mention the Wikipedia thing, I saw that a little while ago.

Tinindian
08-25-2010, 03:08 PM
By the way, Thanks for the info. It doesn't sound like a very good value for us. I think he's just going to hold the fort down until Will Allen gets healthy, but if that's the case and he's just temporary I think that's even worse.

The Dolphins have a lot of potential in the secondary, but they are all very young with the exception of Bell.

ScottDCP
08-25-2010, 03:38 PM
Scott, I just don't get it. The great teams stockpile talent at several positions, but we have a long history of giving up early on guys and they go on to pro bowl careers. Shula did that with Tony Martin who went on to have several 1000 yard seasons for the Falcons.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me either. Though being as I am aligned otherwise, I don't mind, except for those occasions when someone like Wlker goes to another team in the East.

souza
08-25-2010, 04:04 PM
He's a nickel guy. Just a guy. Seven year vet. He's a journeyman, depth kind of guy that can step in and start if he has to. Not known as a special teams ace or anything, he's the kind of player you're always trying to upgrade from. The most interesting thing about Sapp is that his wikipedia profile already has him as a Dolphin. This internet works pretty good.

Spot on analysis... he's definitely a player whose expendable for the Vikings, at this point... Winfield, Allen, Cook, Sheppard all as good or better than Sapp.

Camarillo should fit in well with Favre and the Vikings offense: dependable receiver, decent route runner, who's showed flashes of ability the last couple years... reminds me of Bill Schroeder

cobber66
08-25-2010, 04:28 PM
Two things I take away from this:

1) The Vikings have a lot of confidence in the rookie Chris Cook, and are hoping that Winfield can stay healthy (remember Cedric Griffen tore his ACL against the Saints last year!)

2) Even though I don't think this trade is as lop-sided as some of you do, I do like it for the Vikings. Camarillo is a solid third option at receiver and good insurance for Rice's injury and Harvin's migraine problems. Sapp has improved a lot as a CB, but he always seemed to be liable for 1-2 absolutely boneheaded/terrible plays a game.

bluestree
08-25-2010, 04:39 PM
Spot on analysis... he's definitely a player whose expendable for the Vikings, at this point... Winfield, Allen, Cook, Sheppard all as good or better than Sapp.

Camarillo should fit in well with Favre and the Vikings offense: dependable receiver, decent route runner, who's showed flashes of ability the last couple years... reminds me of Bill Schroeder

Favre could turn him into Antonio Freeman.

bluestree
08-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Sapp has improved a lot as a CB, but he always seemed to be liable for 1-2 absolutely boneheaded/terrible plays a game.

The Packers second year corner Brandon Underwood said the other day regarding his development and about taking the next step "I can't be good for 30 or 40 plays and then have a breakdown", you have be consistently in position, and you have to make plays.

Wordsworth
08-25-2010, 05:31 PM
This is a good trade for the Vikings, though I cannot see a reason for Miami to have done this. They did Minnesota a favor giving them an effective WR and only got a situational defensive back out of the deal. At this point the trade seems very one sided.

PhinsJunkie
08-25-2010, 06:11 PM
This is a good trade for the Vikings, though I cannot see a reason for Miami to have done this. They did Minnesota a favor giving them an effective WR and only got a situational defensive back out of the deal. At this point the trade seems very one sided.

The only thing I can take away from this as a positive is that the Dolphins must feel very good about our receiving corps in order to make this move. It seems Bess and Hartline are clearly the 2 and 3 WR and there was not room for Camarillo. Plus I've heard some good things from camp about Patrick Turner.

Wordsworth
08-25-2010, 06:18 PM
I have not heard of Patrick Turner. Is he a rookie? If so, do you know where he went to school?

PhinsJunkie
08-25-2010, 06:35 PM
I have not heard of Patrick Turner. Is he a rookie? If so, do you know where he went to school?

He was drafted in the 3rd round last year out af USC. He is 6'5 220LB built sort of like Brandon Marshall. He's got some upside, but lacks the experience.

Chompurself
08-25-2010, 07:00 PM
Definitely a great move for the Vikes after loosing Sidney Rice...you replace him with a big receiver who catches everthing, he will get alot of receptions with the Vikes this year

InNOutBurgler
08-25-2010, 07:18 PM
I don't mind it...it's not like Camarillo could be counted on to play every week anyway...he's a rather large injury risk as well and he's nothing special. This isn't anything like the Welker trade. Camarillo is just a guy and apparently so is this corner we got...win win for both teams as obviously they both felt they could part with them. We'll see week 2 I guess...sucks for Camarillo, one minute you are looking at South Beach trim everywhere and the next you're in Minnesota...lame

Andy Freeland
08-25-2010, 07:24 PM
Benny Sapp is fine as a 3rd or 4th CB. Nothing special, but a vet who can fill in and not be a total liability. His biggest issue is with ball skills, he doesn't have any. 4 INTs in 6 years. On the surface it looks like the Vikings got the better end of this deal, but it's really just 2 teams dealing players that weren't in their plans for this year.

Wordsworth
08-25-2010, 07:28 PM
sucks for Camarillo, one minute you are looking at South Beach trim everywhere and the next you're in Minnesota...lame

Best point made in this thread.

InNOutBurgler
08-25-2010, 07:31 PM

http://footballproslive.com/showthread.php/1277-What-do-you-think-of-the-cheerleaders-this-year?p=17772#post17772

See what I mean?

PhinsJunkie
08-25-2010, 08:04 PM

In Minnesota making NFL money is not the same as Minnesota the bus driver. You'll be amazed what these guys can do without with a nice bank account. Whereas, a bus driver on South Beach could care less about the south beach trim. He's got more important things to worry about.

Wordsworth
08-25-2010, 08:07 PM
Wait... are you saying Greg Camarillo is actually a bus driver?

Chompurself
08-25-2010, 08:42 PM
I don't mind it...it's not like Camarillo could be counted on to play every week anyway...he's a rather large injury risk as well and he's nothing special. This isn't anything like the Welker trade. Camarillo is just a guy and apparently so is this corner we got...win win for both teams as obviously they both felt they could part with them. We'll see week 2 I guess...sucks for Camarillo, one minute you are looking at South Beach trim everywhere and the next you're in Minnesota...lame

I thought Camirillo was ya boy...now he's just a guy!!?? SMH

PhinsJunkie
08-25-2010, 08:49 PM
Wait... are you saying Greg Camarillo is actually a bus driver?

Lol, well I just mean he's doing pretty well.

Tinindian
08-25-2010, 10:23 PM
I thought Camirillo was ya boy...now he's just a guy!!?? SMH

Camarillo is not just a guy. He is not a superstar but if you want a guy to work in the slot, be willing to take the hit and rarely drop the ball, he is the man. Welker got all kinds of props since he got on the Pats and I'm telling you Camarillo is like a poor mans Welker. One other thing, he's not injury prone. He blew his ACL late in 2008 but was back last season and didn't drop a ball all year. I think he missed the last 5 games of 2008 with the ACL and that has been it.

bluestree
08-25-2010, 11:45 PM
In Minnesota making NFL money is not the same as Minnesota the bus driver. You'll be amazed what these guys can do without with a nice bank account. Whereas, a bus driver on South Beach could care less about the south beach trim. He's got more important things to worry about.

No dude, you got it all wrong. Hooking up is like walking on the beach. The closer you are to the surf, the better your chances of getting wet.
In Minnesota, they use axes to chop wood, and they use the handles to measure the width of women's derrieres.
I once had a janitor job. In Malibu. Puts a whole new spin on it.

PhinsJunkie
08-26-2010, 07:20 AM
No dude, you got it all wrong. Hooking up is like walking on the beach. The closer you are to the surf, the better your chances of getting wet.
In Minnesota, they use axes to chop wood, and they use the handles to measure the width of women's derrieres.

Haha, I now get it. Great anology!

InNOutBurgler
08-26-2010, 03:32 PM
Camarillo is not just a guy. He is not a superstar but if you want a guy to work in the slot, be willing to take the hit and rarely drop the ball, he is the man. Welker got all kinds of props since he got on the Pats and I'm telling you Camarillo is like a poor mans Welker. One other thing, he's not injury prone. He blew his ACL late in 2008 but was back last season and didn't drop a ball all year. I think he missed the last 5 games of 2008 with the ACL and that has been it.

I don't know man...I think Bess is a better imitation of Welker...by the way...why are we always trying to find the next Welker when we are the ones who traded him..UGHHH! Anyway...I like Greg but I do think he's just a guy. There's fifty Greg Camarillos out there who just need reps. And anytime someone blows and ACL I have doubts forever...people are never the same after that

Wordsworth
08-26-2010, 05:51 PM

Hahahaha. Now this is the best post in this thread.

sphinx
08-27-2010, 05:19 PM
Greg was just the odd man out. The development of Hartline and the trade for Marshall left him forth on the depth chart, which he was also being pushed for by Turner. I doubt the Dolphins were planning on running many four receiver sets, so his skills would've mostly gone unused. This tells me more that Will Allen isn't near 100%, Jason Allen can't be trusted even as a nickel corner, and rookie Nolan Carroll isn't ready yet.

DemCowboys
08-27-2010, 05:22 PM
I am going to try and snag Camarillo in the late rounds of FFL. I picked him up a couple of years ago as a bye week replacement and he more than held his own for a few weeks. Now he has Favre throwing him the ball, I think he has a pretty good year. Worth a shot anyway.

Tinindian
08-27-2010, 05:54 PM
Greg was just the odd man out. The development of Hartline and the trade for Marshall left him forth on the depth chart, which he was also being pushed for by Turner. I doubt the Dolphins were planning on running many four receiver sets, so his skills would've mostly gone unused. This tells me more that Will Allen isn't near 100%, Jason Allen can't be trusted even as a nickel corner, and rookie Nolan Carroll isn't ready yet.

This is exactly what I think as well. Will won't be able to go, Jason Allen is a backup and Carroll, although very talented, needs more reps.