PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Lewis the best HC in Bengals History?

Bengals1181
06-18-2014, 09:12 AM
Cover32 determined the best HC in the history of each franchise, and then ranked all of those coaches.

They determined Marvin Lewis to be the best coach in Bengals History. Thoughts?

29. Marvin Lewis (Cincinnati Bengals) – Given that he’s 0-5 all-time in the playoffs, many Bengals fans are starting to get restless with Lewis, who will be entering his 12th season as the head coach in Cincinnati. But since no other coach in franchise history led the team to the postseason more than twice (Forrest Gregg and Sam Wyche both did), Lewis was an easy selection.

http://cover32.com/2014/06/17/power-rankings-rating-each-teams-greatest-coach-in-franchise-history/2/

membengal
06-18-2014, 09:46 AM
I would still put Sam ahead of him, but I am a sucker for the fun of those years.

Oldcat
06-18-2014, 06:29 PM
All those years sucking for the first 4 weeks of every year got pretty old with old Sam.

JBandJoeyV
06-18-2014, 07:10 PM
Get us to a SB this year and yes. Otherwise hard not to go with guys that have at least been there and won a playoff game.

Baraka
06-18-2014, 09:27 PM
It's a really tough distinction. Lewis has presided over, perhaps, the longest stretch of sustained success in franchise history but has failed to win when it counts. Paul Brown founded the team (big bonus) but was also winless in his three playoff appearances. Gregg and Wyche have had the most playoff success.

Like everything, I guess it depends on your perspective.

Arkansas Bengal
06-18-2014, 09:47 PM
I would put Sam Wyche ahead if Marvin. His teams were innovative (especially on offense) and you never felt that they were out of a game.

Can you imagine Marvin ever doing this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJMa20xXykI

Bengals1181
06-18-2014, 10:08 PM
I would put Sam Wyche ahead if Marvin. His teams were innovative (especially on offense) and you never felt that they were out of a game.

Can you imagine Marvin ever doing this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJMa20xXykI

honestly, yea I could.

As for the selection of Marvin, I missed too many of the early coaches to be able to compare. My initial reaction would say Sam.

Bunghole
06-18-2014, 10:34 PM
Out of curiosity, when Sam made that famous comment, were we in fact playing the Browns that day? If so, double points for hilarity.

Arkansas Bengal
06-18-2014, 10:39 PM
Out of curiosity, when Sam made that famous comment, were we in fact playing the Browns that day? If so, double points for hilarity.

No they were playing the Seahawks...which I think makes the comment even funnier!

So simple. So angry. It's easily the shortest speech on this list, but in those quick 13 seconds, Sam Wyche manages to relay decades' worth of angst, anger and emotion, all with nine simple words: "You don't live in Cleveland, you live in Cincinnati!"

At a Bengals game on Dec. 19, 1989, in Cincinnati, after a questionable call, fans responded by throwing beer bottles and trash onto the field, directing their protest at the refs and the players on the Seahawks. The officials were forced to stop the game, and Seattle refused to continue with the game until it was safe. Finally, from down on the sidelines, Bengals coach Sam Wyche took the microphone, and reminded everyone in attendance just exactly what town they were representing, much to their approval.

Bengals1181
06-18-2014, 10:41 PM

if Wikipedia is to be believed, it was against Seattle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Wyche#Cincinnati_Bengals

Baraka
06-18-2014, 10:41 PM
No they were playing the Seahawks...which I think makes the comment even funnier!

So simple. So angry. It's easily the shortest speech on this list, but in those quick 13 seconds, Sam Wyche manages to relay decades' worth of angst, anger and emotion, all with nine simple words: "You don't live in Cleveland, you live in Cincinnati!"

At a Bengals game on Dec. 19, 1989, in Cincinnati, after a questionable call, fans responded by throwing beer bottles and trash onto the field, directing their protest at the refs and the players on the Seahawks. The officials were forced to stop the game, and Seattle refused to continue with the game until it was safe. Finally, from down on the sidelines, Bengals coach Sam Wyche took the microphone, and reminded everyone in attendance just exactly what town they were representing, much to their approval.

Such a great moment!