PDA

View Full Version : Who will have best def in '10?

DannyMilk
07-04-2010, 02:05 AM
I think it's frightening with some of these teams, and yes, I am putting the Bears up here and I don't care what you guys think haha...let the voting begin!!!

OverTheTop
07-04-2010, 02:13 AM
Jets defense is going to be scary good in my humble opinion.

DannyMilk
07-04-2010, 02:17 AM
Yeah that's who I'm going with too haha

Chilly
07-04-2010, 12:58 PM
A little background research might come in handy before making a list like this. You left the Steelers, Eagles and Vikings off, along with the Saints [who forced the most turnovers]. There are some mediocre defenses on that list as well. My pick would be the Redskins or Steelers.

DannyMilk
07-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Yeah I know I forgot to add a couple...we could do write in votes haha

Cris Collinsworth
07-04-2010, 01:09 PM
I voted Jets and was surprised that they were the early favorite. The Jets needed one more corner and may have gotten two. If Antonio Cromartie can return to form and top pick Kyle Wilson is as good as he looked on tape, the Jets could be really tough. To blitz you have to be able to cover. The Colts were able to put one more receiver on the field than the Jets could cover in the playoffs. That may not be true this year. I also thought Bart Scott looked like he was really hurting in that game. Plus Kris Jenkins is one of the baddest men in the game when he is healthy and motivated and he should be both. I expect the Jets to be even better this year in the second year of this system, and they were nasty last year.

wade
07-04-2010, 01:15 PM
I also voted Jets, not a fan at all, but the defense is one of the best in a while. That's just my humble opinion of course.

Stillertime
07-04-2010, 02:47 PM
With a healthy Polamalu and DE Aaron Smith the Steelers have to be on a list of top-10 defenses.

DannyMilk
07-04-2010, 02:53 PM
Sorry guys, I know it sounds dumb, but I was more worried about trying to figure out how to make the poll as it is haha...I don't think I can edit the poll itself, and personally I love the Steelers too, so just a brainfart there (even though I voted for the Jets), so I'll throw the Vikings and Steelers (not sold on Eagles, sorry) up on that list too. I'll tally up the write in votes as well, I believe that's 2 mentions at least for the Steelers!

ncoolong
07-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Without Polamalu and Smith, they were still top 5.

And the Jets defense last year couldn't sniff the Steelers in 2008. I'm shaking my head at the notion that adding Antonio Cromartie will suddenly put them into that level. Pittsburgh's 2008 defense allowed fewer yards per game than any team since Reggie White and Jerome Brown's Eagles.

And yes, that includes the hallowed 2000 Ravens...who weren't even the best defense in the league that year.

Sandman
07-04-2010, 02:55 PM
I voted Jets. They're reigning defensive champs and have done nothing but improve. I'm surprised to see the Bengals missing from this list. Another strong defense that just got better.

bluestree
07-04-2010, 02:56 PM
(We're talking July now, so nothing is out of the realm of possibility). Green Bay may have a keeper in Morgan Burnett at safety, he's drawn raves both for his play (shorts, of course) and for his football smarts. BJ Raji should improve quite a bit, and they've added depth along the D Line. Good linebackers in a scheme that fits them. Cornerback is weak link, especially as far as depth, but they were in the same boat last year with three major injuries at the position. Second year in the system, youth, athleticism, veteran leadership. I think this group contends, homer that I am.

ncoolong
07-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Sorry guys, I know it sounds dumb, but I was more worried about trying to figure out how to make the poll as it is haha...I don't think I can edit the poll itself, and personally I love the Steelers too, so just a brainfart there (even though I voted for the Jets), so I'll throw the Vikings and Steelers (not sold on Eagles, sorry) up on that list too. I'll tally up the write in votes as well, I believe that's 2 mentions at least for the Steelers!

Three for the Steelers. The two best defenses overall in the past four seasons are the Steelers and the Vikings. I don't see that changing.

robthemany
07-04-2010, 03:03 PM
To me it will be the packers they played well last year while adjusting to the change to a 3-4 now they have a year under the new scheme. So they could be even better.

BigDerf
07-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Without Polamalu and Smith, they were still top 5.

And the Jets defense last year couldn't sniff the Steelers in 2008. I'm shaking my head at the notion that adding Antonio Cromartie will suddenly put them into that level. Pittsburgh's 2008 defense allowed fewer yards per game than any team since Reggie White and Jerome Brown's Eagles.

And yes, that includes the hallowed 2000 Ravens...who weren't even the best defense in the league that year.

You can allow the fewest yards you want. The reason that 2000 Ravens team was the best was their scoring defense. Not to say they weren't second best in yards that year...And the first team in a 16 game season to hold opponents under 1000 yards rushing.... but they were also the best EVER in scoring defense at a measly 10.31 PPG.

And the best defense this year? Are we talking scoring defense or total yards allowed. I think it's going to be the Ravens in scoring D this year. They were good last year and with Mount Cody and Kindle they should only be better.

Edit - Also... I know I seem to be a Ravens fan here but only know how good they were in 2000 cause I'm a Giants fan.

ncoolong
07-04-2010, 03:32 PM
You can allow the fewest yards you want. The reason that 2000 Ravens team was the best was their scoring defense. Not to say they weren't second best in yards that year...And the first team in a 16 game season to hold opponents under 1000 yards rushing.... but they were also the best EVER in scoring defense at a measly 10.31 PPG.

And the best defense this year? Are we talking scoring defense or total yards allowed. I think it's going to be the Ravens in scoring D this year. They were good last year and with Mount Cody and Kindle they should only be better.

Edit - Also... I know I seem to be a Ravens fan here but only know how good they were in 2000 cause I'm a Giants fan.

The "top defense of the year" is referred to as the one that gives up the least amount of yards per game. A team can give up 500 yards a game and allow 14 points. You won't see a team give up 200 yards a game and give up 24 points.

DannyMilk
07-04-2010, 03:36 PM
To me it will be the packers they played well last year while adjusting to the change to a 3-4 now they have a year under the new scheme. So they could be even better.

I voted Jets, but I think Packers will finish 2nd

ncoolong
07-04-2010, 03:43 PM

Agreed. Pack will be tough. Dom Capers' D isn't a once-a-year thing, he sustains them over a few years when he's in the right position. Raji's the key, though. When they get him to a high level, teams are going to have a real tough time moving the ball on them.

DannyMilk
07-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Agreed. Pack will be tough. Dom Capers' D isn't a once-a-year thing, he sustains them over a few years when he's in the right position. Raji's the key, though. When they get him to a high level, teams are going to have a real tough time moving the ball on them.

All they need is AJ Hawk and Clay Matthews to grow some dreads and they'll be unstoppable!

ncoolong
07-04-2010, 03:46 PM
All they need is AJ Hawk and Clay Matthews to grow some dreads and they'll be unstoppable!

Is it wrong of me to say I can't tell one Packers defensive back from another?

DannyMilk
07-04-2010, 03:49 PM
nope, I don't think so haha...I'm a Bears fan, so I want to rip them all down by the back of the head, especially because of how good they are!

ncoolong
07-04-2010, 04:05 PM
nope, I don't think so haha...I'm a Bears fan, so I want to rip them all down by the back of the head, especially because of how good they are!

Always be wary of the team with high expectations, especially when they have yet to achieve anything. Tis far more likely to disappoint than to meet expectations. It's the teams that no one expects anything of (Chicago, for example) that seems to finish stronger.

Look at New Orleans last year. Cincinnati. The Jets. These teams beat out trendy favorites Pittsburgh, Indianapolis and Minnesota.

I live in MN, so I'd pull for the Vikings over the rest of the NFC North if I was forced to choose. Chicago would be second though, your former D coordinator and now I believe your LBs coach (again) Bob Babich coached at my alma mater a few years back. Helluva nice guy, really. Just a very geniune and decent Pittsburgh boy.

Wordsworth
07-04-2010, 05:15 PM
I don't know why New England is even on your list. At least replace them with the Giants, or even the Dolphins who have improved greatly this offseason on the defensive side. The Patriots have had a defense in decline for a couple years now and it will likely be the weakest part of their team this year.

To answer the poll I go with the Jets. They had a shut down defense for almost all of last year, and they're coming back healthy and more stacked than before. I don't see how they can be anything but the favorite defensively.

Chilly
07-04-2010, 06:39 PM
No worries about the list--it was a cool idea and I'm not too miffed that you forgot a couple teams. No one is perfect, I mean Brad Childress is a fricking NFL head coach. Bar can't be set too high, can it?

DannyMilk
07-04-2010, 10:52 PM
Threw the Pats in there because they were 11th in YPG given up last year, and I like the Patriots haha...Dolphins woulda been a good choice too

Chilly
07-05-2010, 12:12 AM
Yeah, I like the Patriots too--why I know they don't deserve to be on this list. Any defense that gets shredded by an offense headed by Joe Flacco--at home, no less--deserves no place among these other solid defenses.

InNOutBurgler
07-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Jets are going to dissapoint at least in the division. Belicheck has had a season to watch film, his little finger could beat Rex Ryan at chess and don't think he hasn't been listening to all this talk about the AFC East being owned by gang green. Pats are gonna have something for the Jets.... And Miami...well, Big Rex is 0-2 so far against the Wildcat and those big hogs up front.

davethepanther
07-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Another I would rather eat a can of nails than to agree but the Jets Defense is gonna be scary. I am still not sold they will overtake Miami or New England because their offense is suspect.

DannyMilk
07-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Another I would rather eat a can of nails than to agree but the Jets Defense is gonna be scary. I am still not sold they will overtake Miami or New England because their offense is suspect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JBvfZTx-vs 0:48

DannyMilk
07-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Sorry, just reminded me of that haha...I wish there was just a video of those few seconds so we could tell people (myself included) who's suspect! haha