PDA

View Full Version : Most Innovative Coach/Coordinator

imiweli
07-04-2010, 08:14 AM
Who do you guys reckon is the most innovative coach/coordinator ? Whether its on defense or offense

I would go with Sean Payton just ahead of Rex Ryan

ncoolong
07-04-2010, 09:20 PM
Dick Lebeau! Ryan can't sniff what Lebeau's done. I'm a big fan of Sean Payton, and he's won something (unlike Ryan), but Lebeau started what's now used by a big chunk of all successful defenses today. Walsh and Montana were destroying people with the WCO, and Lebeau found a way to level the playing field by blitzing without dropping into man defense for the QB to pick apart.

Chilly
07-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Rex is extremely overrated at the moment, and he may very well live up to his reputation eventually. Currently, however, I think credit should be given to Payton as well as Sparano of the Dolphins. The Dolphins found a way to win with a very mediocre quarterback two years ago [as well as a cakewalk schedule] and still were quite competitive last year because of the Wildcat. If we are talking about the moment, I think it's a tie between Payton and the Dolphins' staff.

If we extend this back into the history of the league, that opens up a floodgate with the likes of Unitas, Walsh, the Steeler's medical staff in the 70's and Belichick's innovative videotaping techniques...

msclemons
07-05-2010, 12:03 AM
Belichick's innovative videotaping techniques...

That's just evil. I love it.

I'd like to give a nod to Del Rio's innovative wood chopping technique as well.

ncoolong
07-05-2010, 03:28 PM
That's just evil. I love it.

I'd like to give a nod to Del Rio's innovative wood chopping technique as well.

Singletary mooned his team at halftime. How many coaches would have thought to do that?!?

FLPackerFan
07-05-2010, 03:45 PM
I think Sean Payton is the most innovative on offense. On defense I would go with Dick LeBeau over Rex Ryan. LeBeau has done for many of years. i think Ryan will become a great head coach. You forget that he actually did win with the Ravens. he was on the staff there in 2000 with Marvin Lewis and Brian Billick. He has only been the head man for one season. I think he has the tenacity to handle New York. Overall as a head coach, I would go with Belichik. love him or hate him, he did it as a coordinator twice and the head man three times.

theshow47
07-06-2010, 08:10 AM
I think that this is a very interesting topic, obviously it's easier to find innovative defensive coordinators than offensive due to the fact that most offensive innovations are coming from the college game. A previous post talked about the miami head coach being innovative.....I won't call him innovative ill just call him ballsy. That's Gus Mazlands offense back from his days at Springfield High in Arkansas. Most of the new route combinations are coming from pass happy offenses in college, Mike Leech and June Jones. Defensively I think no one does more with less than Ryan. One year ago that defense was piss poor with mangini at the controls, one year later they become an elite squad.
One of my knocks on the NFL is its lack of innovation. I hate watching 21 teams have the same offense, its boring when two west coast teams play because they use similar calls and signals. And god knows it would be a crime to take a risk in the NFL, because that might cost you your job. Better to be mediocre with a paid position, than risk getting fired with a non-traditional NFL offense.