PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Passing Offense

Amy
09-25-2014, 06:28 PM
There's been a lot of talk about how the passing offense has struggled this year. I wanted to look it over in more depth, so I used the NFL gamebooks play by play section to review each offensive snap we've done and broken down the contributions of the passing game and it's players. I plan to update in mid week each week.

Notes: Aaron Dobson was a healthy scratch for Miami and Oakland. Kenbrell Thompkins was the same for Minnesota. It's my belief that the week 2 and 3 scratches were to keep Brandon LaFell active

Miami

Amendola: 5 targets, 3 catches
Bolden: 3 targets, 1 catch
Edelman: 8 targets, 6 catches
Gronk: 12 targets, 4 catches, 1 TD
LaFell: 6 targets
Ridley: 2 targets, 1 catches
Thompkins: 10 targets, 5 catches
Vereen: 8 targets, 5 catches
Wright: 3 targets, 3 catches

KT: 1 catch negated by holding on Ellerbee (Miami)
Edelman: 1 target (no catch) negated by 12 men on D (Miami)
Vereen: 1 catch negated by holding on Solder (NE)
Lafell: Offside for opening kickoff of second half. Net gain of 9 yards for Miami
OPI negated 15 yard catch by Amendola in the 4th quarter.
Gronk: Holding negated a 20 yard Ridley run in the 3rd quarter

Vikings:

Amendola: 1 target
Develin: 2 targets, 2 catches
Dobson: 1 target
Edelman: 6 targets, 6 catches, 1 TD
Hooman: 1 target, 1 catch
Gronk: 5 targets, 3 catches
Vereen: 1 target
Wright: 1 target

Dobson: OPI negated 26 yard Amendola catch in the 2nd quarter.
Edelman: 1 fumble, recovered by Connoly. (NE), 1 catch negated by offsides on Griffen (Minn), 1 target (no catch) negated by DPI on Rhodes
LaFell: Offsides on kickoff in 3rd quarter
Vereen: 1 catch (26 yards) negated by two penalties on Solder (NE)

Raiders:

Amendola: 2 targets, 1 catch
Edelman: 13 targets, 10 catches
Gronk: 6 targets, 4 catches, 1 TD
LaFell: 8 targets, 3 catches
Ridley: 1 target, 1 catch
Thompkins: 1 target, 1 catch
Vereen: 6 targets, 4 catches
Wright: 1 target, 1 catch

Amendola: 29 yard catch negated by OPI on LaFell in the 4th quarter
Edelman: 1 target (no catch) negated by DPI on Brown
Gronk: False start on 1st and 10 to start second drive of the 2nd half.
Vereen: 1 target comes after Brady fumbles a snap, picks it up, and throws the ball at Vereen's feet to avoid a sack.

Overall totals:

Danny Amendola: 8 targets, 4 catches. (50 percent). However, this should be 7 of 11, as he has had three catches called back by OPI on his teammates. In sparse use, Amendola has been a very effective deep target for Brady.

Brandon Bolden: 3 targets, 1 catch. (33 percent). Bolden mostly runs when he gets touches. I'll take this line from my 3rd string back.

James Develin: 2 targets, 2 catches (100 percent). He's the fullback. Enough said.

Aaron Dobson: 1 target. 1 OPI. In his one game played, Dobson had no impact. However, I think that would change with more time on the field.

Julian Edelman: 27 targets, 22 catches, 1 TD (81 percent). This should be 24 of 31, due to various penalties. He also has one fumble.

Rob Gronkowski: 23 targets, 11 catches, 2 TD (48 percent). Gronk needs more reliability. Brady's forced some into him, but he also dropped a TD vs Oakland. However, I have no doubts Gronk will pick it up. He has had two penalties called on him. 1 holding, 1 false start.

Hooman: 1 target, 1 catch. (100 percent). Blocking TE gets few looks.

Brandon LaFell: 14 targets, 3 catches. (21 percent). Not only did he drop a TD the play after Gronk did, but he's been called for 2 OPI, and 2 offsides (both on kickoffs). He's cost us over 70 yards, while his 3 catches gained something like 30 total. He's been a disaster. This week he was talking about how frustrated he was with his targets, but 14 is 4th on the team. He's the one not making catches.

Steven Ridley: 3 targets, 2 catches (66 percent). As Vereen's role is the pass catching back, Ridley just needs to be effective on his rare targets. He has been.

Kenbrell Thompkins: 11 targets, 6 catches (55 percent). This should be 7 of 12 as a catch was taken away when we accepted a holding call against Ellerbee in week 1. KT was very good against Miami. Against Oakland, his targets seemed to go to Lafell. KT has shown vast improvement since his rookie year, and needs more targets.

Shane Vereen: 9 of 15 (60 percent). This should be 10 of 16, but Nate Solder stole one with 2 fouls on the same play. Vereen's been solid, but I'd like to see that catch rate climb into the 70s.

Tim Wright: 5 targets, 4 catches (80 percent). Wright's looked very good. All of his catches have been down the seam, 10 or more yards. I do think he could fill parts of the AH role. I'm definately glad when I see him on the field.

Overall, the weakness has been LaFell. He's getting starter snaps and making 21 percent of his catches. Brady hasn't been spot on all the time, either, but LaFell on the field seems to stagnate the Offense. Maybe he'll pick up. Blount was terrible last September, after all, and had a great season in the end. But after three weeks, I cringe when I see 19 (Lafell) on the field. When a WR has more penalities than catches something's not right.

Amy
09-30-2014, 12:28 AM
Week 4 Update.

I have to give props to LaFell. He played well.

Amendola: 1 15 yard PF. 1 catch negated by a penalty on the Defense.
Edelman: 9 targets, 4 catches
Gronk: 3 targets, 2 catches, 1 TD
LaFell: 8 targets, 6 catches, 1 TD
Vereen: 4 targets, 4 catches
James White: 3 targets, 3 catches

Season to Date:

Amendola 8-4 (50 percent), 1 PF
Bolden: 3-1 (33 percent)
Develin: 2-2 (100 percent)
Dobson: 1 target, 1 OPI
Edelman: 35-26 (74 percent), 1 TD
Gronk: 26-13 (50 percent), 3 TD, 1 holding, 1 false start