PDA

View Full Version : Enforcers

msclemons
08-30-2010, 12:12 AM
In other major sports there are certain unwritten rules that keep players in line. If you cross the line in baseball the pitcher will bean you with a nice fastball. In hockey if you abuse a teammate, a big , bad mofo is going to take you into the boards and pound your teeth out.

Does football have a tradition of enforcers to let the opponent know they'd better not cross the line? Or does the separation of offense and defense negate that?

Andy Freeland
08-30-2010, 08:23 AM
Not sure about opponents, but those of us that watch hard knocks know that teammates will tape a guy to a goalpost and cover him in talcum powder and shaving creme.

Bengals1181
08-30-2010, 09:34 AM
Roy Williams

Troy Polamalu

those two come to mind immediately.

I'm hoping I can add Rey Maualuga to that list in a few months.

Bunghole
09-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Ronnie Lott...Ray Lewis...Conrad Dobler...Rodney Harrison...on and on...the NFL has had plenty of headhunters/enforcers.

bluestree
09-01-2010, 07:31 PM
I don't know if every team has one, but every team needs one. And if he's good, he does it the right way. Since you're supposed to hit people in football, you don't need to draw a lot of attention to yourself when scores are settled.

FessJL0861
09-07-2010, 06:29 PM
Yep, and if you do it right, noone gets injured but when they get up off their keester, they know your name (but not theirs).