PDA

View Full Version : Rookie quarterbacks

Colts01
09-01-2010, 02:18 AM
Turk,
Was wondering what your thoughts are on developing/playing rookie qbs? Looking at someone like Aaron Rodgers who seems to be a prototype for bringing qbs along slowly. However For a guy like Sam Bradford there are no Brett Farves to learn from How much depends on a qbs quarterbacks coach and Offensive coordinator? Thinking of some of the rookies that started like Joey Harrington,Tim Couch,David Carr that basicly are considered busts (Leaf and JARussell of corse as well),would any of these guys have made it by spending time as a back up before starting?Would Aaron Rodgers be Aaron Rodgers had he started from day one as a rookie?
How long did it take you to be comfortable at the qb position on the NFL level as opposed to the college level?
Thanks as always for your insight

iwatt
09-01-2010, 10:32 AM
Of all the QBs picked this year, the guy I'm most exited for his future is Colt McCoy. No pressure to be the savior this year (Wallace will be called upon by week 6 probably). So he'll benefit from watching the game and building chemistry. He knows how to win and he has great accuracy.

I'm afraid that Sam Bradford will get the living Carr kicked out of him.

I think Tebow will be good, but the media hype is brutal and I don't know how that whole situation will evolve in Denver.

Jimmy Clausen has good mechanics, but I don't like his intangibles at all. Has a bit of the Matt Leinert vibe on him.

Turk Schonert
09-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Turk,
Was wondering what your thoughts are on developing/playing rookie qbs? Looking at someone like Aaron Rodgers who seems to be a prototype for bringing qbs along slowly. However For a guy like Sam Bradford there are no Brett Farves to learn from How much depends on a qbs quarterbacks coach and Offensive coordinator? Thinking of some of the rookies that started like Joey Harrington,Tim Couch,David Carr that basicly are considered busts (Leaf and JARussell of corse as well),would any of these guys have made it by spending time as a back up before starting?Would Aaron Rodgers be Aaron Rodgers had he started from day one as a rookie?
How long did it take you to be comfortable at the qb position on the NFL level as opposed to the college level?
Thanks as always for your insight

Each situation is different IMO, Aaron Rodgers benefited form watching a hall of fame QB play, as well as, interact with and lead his teammates. Plus, the Packers were a good team. The other QB's you mentioned went to bad football teams. Playing on a bad football team will cause any rookie QB
to struggle. Other factors are the maturity level of a rookie QB, where is he in terms of understanding concepts, and how quick of a study is he.

I believe that the coordinator is very important in the development of a rookie QB. I thought Tom Moore did a great job with Peyton Manning his rookie year. Peyton started (which he should of) and threw 575 passes (2nd most in his career). What Tom did was protect Peyton. Manning was sacked only 22x as a rookie. He had to give up some receiver options because of the protection, and it contributed to Peyton throwing 28 picks. By allowing Peyton to throw the ball a lot and protecting him, it gave Peyton tremendous experience without getting beat up, as well as, a lot of film to study and learn from in the off season. Indy went from 3-13 to 13-3 in 1 year. I also believe that the QB coach plays an important part in the early development of a QB.

Sam Bradford is in a precarious situation. He has the maturity and smarts but the Rams are a bad football team. If Bradford starts from game 1, the Rams need to find ways to protect him, as well as, get him out of the pocket. Jim Plunkett (former 1st pick of the draft) was almost ruined when he went to a bad team (New England), started, and got beat up. It's hard to say if any of the above mentioned guys would of been any better if they sat for awhile, but my guess would be yes.

I didn't play 1 snap my first year (I wasn't a franchise QB) which enabled me to study the NFL game. I worked extremely hard in the off season on my weaknesses and when I came to camp, I felt prepared and ready to compete. It paid off as I was thrust into the season opener trailing 21-0 for which we came back to win.

Coaching staffs and organizations have to make smart decisions when dealing with a franchise rookie QB. There are those who believe that you throw them into the fire day one, and those who think patience is best. Whatever the decision, you better make sure that you are building his confidence, as well as the team around him.

GoBigOrGoHome
09-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Coaching staffs and organizations have to make smart decisions when dealing with a franchise rookie QB. There are those who believe that you throw them into the fire day one, and those who think patience is best. Whatever the decision, you better make sure that you are building his confidence, as well as the team around him.

Confidence is key. Protecting him is also key. For every Troy Aikman there are the David Carr's and Joey Harrington's of the world. Guys who got the crap kicked out of them and never made it work.